Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL vs Infiniti G35

Comments

• johninnjjohninnj Posts: 243
    The RL makes the GS seem sporty. RL is quirky looking, while GS is absolutely beautiful. Few more years for RL to be redone though...the last model ran with relatively mild updates for 9 years. That being said, my friend got one sans tech package for like 42K. I was VERY tempted....but, despite all the high-tech, it really is geared toward non-enthusiasts. Now the the GS has the 3.5 motor in it...it's prob class leader. M35 is a nice package in the middle of the two...if the large [non-permissible content removed]-end doesn't bother you.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Posts: 151
    M35- totally agree with you, personally I dont like Infiniti products, I think they age badly, well apart from the 1st generation Q.I tested both the RL and GS back to back and found the RL a better handling car than the GS.I have always liked GS ever since I saw it for the 1st time back in 1997 NYC working on my first job out of college. As I said, right now I am sitting back and watching what the Manufacturers have to offer for the upcoming year.
    PS- I hate the standard wheels on the GS 350, not to mention the tires-225 on a car of this calibre, it should be 245 all the way around.
    I drove the last gen GS (400 not 430) a while ago...it seeemed to handle not far off of a 5 series. I can't believe they put 225's on a car that big...Is there a sport package or something? Driving current gen M45Sport was a BLAST ! !
    I never thought that way about infiniti, but I think I agree...they don't age very well. I nearly bought a certified current gen Q, The interior (Dash especially) just seemed so weird. I enojy a comforming interior, not conforming to an interior. Last Gen G's was pretty bad...new one is great. I don't think anyone touches lexus in that aspect though.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    They don't age well because Nissan/Infiniti's styling tends to be quirky, non-cohesive, and overstyled.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Absolutely, and at 41K, it would have been on my short list of contenders as well.
    My wife LOVES the RL and really was hoping that I went that route, but she respected any decision I made.
    She was hoping for Luxury over Sport, and I wanted Sport over Luxury and ended up with the G.
    At 41K, I would have really considered the RL, but I wanted the 07 RL with Technology, CMBS and PAX packages.
    Dealer wanted 53K and change and after taxes and who knows what else, it was right around 55K.

Even with them not selling very well, I could not get them to come down on models with CMBS at all.
    That's why I lease : )
    "...but she respected any decision I made."

That's what you think! We're talking about wives here. It's stored in her memory bank for future ammunition.

I can just see it now, "I only want my mother to stay with us for a month, you already got the car you wanted, even though the one I wanted would have been a much smarter choice" :P
    Don't worry ... we're here for you! Us guys have to unite to fight the evil wives! :mad: :P
  • miamishapsmiamishaps Posts: 15
    These were the final 2 it came down to. While about 1k cheaper now and about 3-4k after 5 years with the good financing Acura is offering I still went with the G. Everyone and their brother has a TL and the interior of the G is far nicer. With that in mind, go buy a TL so I don't start to see G35s littering the roadways!
  • es4jbes4jb Posts: 17
    The brakes were a problem on the previous model years but according to Infiniti the brakes were upgraded on the 07 line.
  • kb124kb124 Posts: 60
    (Note: I posted this on the Acura TSX vs. G35 thread and then noticed this thread also).

My wife and I looked at and she test drove an Acura TL and TSX last night (a new car for her). While she and I are both impressed with the Acuras, we also both agree that neither model is like an Infiniti G35. I was surprised to hear her state that she thought the TL was overpriced, considering that a version with a Navigation system comes close to $37K. She feels at that price it puts the TL in the G35 range for a car pricewise, but it does not have that something 'extra' that the G35 has. And the TSX is even much less a comparison. To me, a more real comparison would be the Acura-RL vs. the Infiniti-M series.

I like the Acuras but would not trade my new G35X for one. The G35X feels totally classy to me when I am in it. I thought the Navigation map was much cleaner on the G35. I thought it odd that to get Auto-Headlight-On/Off, you have to get a TL. TSX still has the manual mode.

The one thing that Acura's have that I wish the Infiniti had was DVD-Audio Surround Sound playback capabilities. Not a deal breaker, but a wish-list item.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,227
    I've got no dog in this hunt. But, my neighbor just traded his '07 G for a TL-S. His reasons were among the same as some of you state....Acura has more room, more refined, nice interior, etc.

A few years ago, I had a regular TL. I didn't like its FWD handling, which is the reason no longer have it. I don't know what Acura has done in the intervening years, but taking his TL-S for a spin, Acura has done some fine work with the suspension. It handles worlds better than mine ever did....plus, it didn't sacrifice ride quality in doing so. Nice job Acura.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
    I am a big Acura fan, I had the 03 Type S, I can outright tell you that the current G has grown past the current TLS.The handling is worlds apart so is the quickness.I am waiting (nail biting)anxiously to see Acura's offering with the 2009.
  • lockonlockon Posts: 1
    I'm probably weird, but the TL dropped right off my list when the dealer told me the wood (and carbon fiber in S) are "simulated"... ha ha!!! What a joke... if I'm going to spend that kind of money I want real wood.

I drove the G35, TL and TL Type-S back to back. The TL is boring to drive and the TLS seemed to me to be too firm until I drove the G. But, the G brings a lot more to the table in terms of styling inside and out.

Tomorrow I'll drive the M35.
  • My wife and I were torn between the TL-S and the G35S. We chose the Infiniti. Here's why:

The Infiniti G35S outhandles the TL-S; the 07G35 is also now more luxurious and refined than the the TL; the G also has more trunk space than the TL but a more narrow opening; and the front leg room on the G35 is also longer. My wife is tall.

Oh yeah, my wife fell in love with the G35 inside and out. She was unmoved by the exterior of the TL-S and couldn't stand being inside the TL-S. She wouldn't even test drive it. We got a demo G36S 6MT for a full weekend in May and that sealed the deal.

I think the G35 appeals especially to women, that something 'extra' as kb124's wife says. The interior is sexy, comforting and snug without being tight and is, in fact, larger than its competitors, including the TL-S. The G also feels hefty, solid, and safe.

And according to my insurance company, The G35 really is safe. I was shocked that my insurance rates went down with my new purchase.

All that said, if you want a less stiff--more comfortable?--ride, you'll choose the TL-S. If you love to drive a car that really handles, like to feel the road, and want the best value in a sports sedan, you'll choose the G35.

Took delivery of our G35S 6MT in early July. Couldn't be happier.

Can't wait 'til we pass the 1200 mile break in stage, sometime next week on the Taconic Parkway. A kind of heaven.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Posts: 106
    Be very cautious of Infiniti reliability! I know, I've owned an 07 M35 and 07 FX35. I've had major problems with both. Currently, the FX35 shakes at speeds over 60 mph and they can't figure it out. The dealer network for service is plain awful and parts take months to get since they come from Japan. The service technicians need a lot more training too. They take things apart then either break them or reassemble them improperly. The service managers are more concerned with profits than customer service so they will cut corners. Watch Infiniti residuals also they drop drastically. Buyer beware!
    For every bad, there's 10 good.

I have an 07 G35 with almost 4,000 miles on it now.
    It's as solid as a rock and by far, the nicest ride I've ever had.

Enjoy.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Check out this new feature and tell us how you feel about sales and/or service experiences at your local dealerships: Dealer Rater.
    All I can say is....to each his own! The old G, style-wise, did absolutely nothing for me. The new one is a definite improvement, but still...it's very non-aggressive. The rounded, used-soap-bar look just isn't my cup of tea.

And if I were to go after sharp-edged performance, the 3-series would still be my 1st choice, due to its unmatched combination of performance and refinement. In that price range, the cost difference between a G Sport and a 335i would almost be inconsequential.
    used-soap-bar look

LOL... I love my G but I have to admit, that was very funny.
    I personaly like the look of the TL and truly hope they don't ruin it in '09.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,105
    While I still think the TL is a great design, the more I see the new G the more I appreciate the subtle exterior style upgrade. Still not as aggressively handsome as the TL, but I think the G restyle turned a 7 into an 8 (earlier I only upgraded the G from 7 to 7.5). Vs. the TL 9... :)

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

bodble, I'm with you....my BMW 3 series replaced my TL. All the way around, the BMW is a better car (with the exception of the stereo in the TL...it's one of the best sounding setups in any car I've ever been in). IMHO, the TL is still the styling champ, too...even compared to the BMW.

Not saying the G is bad. They got nailed in the HP wars all too soon (TL is still trailing there..got a boost with the TL-S, though). The IS hit first with the IS 350 (still, way too cramped). Then BMW hit. Now, the G cranked it up this year. The Cadillac CTS will be next to the HP party. Then, finally, the TL in '08 (as an '09 model). You start playing with $40K for a G, the BMW is still the one to beat....for driving dynamics, ride, refinement, quality, fit & finish.

If the TL's redesign goes the way it's being rumored within a year (SH-AWD...300+ HP), they don't play too much with a styling winner and it stays near the price it's at now, it will gather a lot of new friends.
    I didn't mean that in a bad way. What I was trying to say its styling theme is all soft, curvy, rounded corners, etc. Some might say feminine. Like a bar of soap after 2 or 3 showers! :P
  • darrenwdarrenw Posts: 23
    I've owned the G for a while now, but lately I have been anxiously watching what Acura will have in store.

IMO there will always be a newer & better car coming (the later usually beats the previous).The fact that TL always comes after the G,3s redesign to me is very troubling. Even with the current design of the TL, the TL-S outran the newly redesigned G35 at willowspring by 2 secs. That usually spoils my interest in talking about cars. And now the rumor "300+hp twin turbo with SH-AWD" :( Its killing me!
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "willowspring by 2 secs"

But everywhere else in the world, the G will eat the TL-S for lunch.
    Apples to orange- wait for the new generation TL and then your statements will be valid.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I'm already waiting for the next generation 3 series. :)
    darren...you're absolutely right. There's always going to be newer/better right around the corner.

The cars in this category are so good (including the G, TL, 3 Series) it comes down to styling, both in and out, in many cases....sometimes price. The BMW, compared like for like with options, is going to be at the top end price point, followed closely by the IS 350, then the G, with the Acura pulling up the rear, price-wise. Throw the CTS in there somewhere, with all of GM's proverbial rebates and financing specials. I just hope Cadillac got the buggabbos sorted out with their quality and reliability.

You're going to have those who prefer one over the other for reasons outside of performance. They are all just too close in the performance race.

If, indeed, Acura does come out with a TL with 300 HP and SH-AWD, and they keep it in the $37K-$38K MSRP range next year, I might be tempted to dump my BMW....just because out of all those mentioned above, I like the styling of the TL the best. Plus, given recent history, after all the hoopla dies down for a redesigned TL, you should be able to buy one for a decent discount (say purchase price somewhere in the $36K range, all loaded up).

There's a lot of "what ifs" and speculation in the above, though.
This discussion has been closed.