Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Speedometer

Comments

• I'm amazed at the number of people just on this site that are having the exact problem that I am. My speedometer just quit working and I am taking it to a GM dealership today to get an estimate. Will see just how GM stands behind what appears to be a faulty equipment issue. I'll keep it posted on just how GM handled this. Later
  • dll66dll66 Posts: 5
    edited November 2010
    My wife's 2005 Trailblazer speedometer is acting up like all the rest. Called GM with the VIN and GM says there isn't a recall. Bull Crap! When will GM admit there is a problem? :mad: :(
  • The instrument panel of my 2005 LTZ TB has a malfunctioning speedometer. Temporarily it is replaced by a 2007 TB panel, but steering wheel buttons are not working though.
    Just called the shop who has ordered a new panel about 2 months ago : They told me that the instrument panel was out of stock and has to be manufactured again. It can take up to 4 months. :confuse:
    Can somebody confirm that the 2005 TB panel is currently unavailable?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Daniel
    (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,252
    nlchevytrailbl,
    I would recommend calling GM Customer Service for your country. Here is their contact information: 0049-6142-602629. I hope this information helps!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Thanks Christina for your information. In your post you provided a phone number in Germany. I wonder if you could also provide the GM Customer Service phone number in Holland.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Daniel Goedhart
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Your original panel could be repaired easily for much less than the cost of a new one. Google chevrolet instrument cluster problems.
    If your handy at soldering you can pretty easily fix it yourself usually by replacing the stepper motors on it.
  • Thanks burdawg for the reply.
    My TB is still under (secondhand half year) warranty, so I have left every repairs in the hands of the shop where I bought it in last August. Costs are not (yet?) of my concern luckily. They have send it away for repair already a couple of times, without success. The needle of the speedometer still got stuck or tended to wind 360-degrees etc.
    So two months ago they changed strategy and ordered a new instrument cluster from the States. I have called them up yesterday for an update, and they informed me that it was completely out of stock and should be manufactured again. I also have the version with the km/h, so that might narrow my options, although I wouldn't mind driving around with a miles/h cluster. They also have send away my original cluster for repair again, maybe we get lucky this time. In the meantime I have a 2007 cluster.
    I was just wondering if the instrument clusters for the 2005 LTZ TB have already been scheduled for manufacturing and how long it might take for them to become available for shipping.

Regards,
    Daniel
    nlchevytrailbl,
    I apologize that is the only number I located for GM Europe. Here is the web site for GM Europe. I apologize it was not able to read it but there is a contact number on this site: http://www.chevrolet.nl/contact/. I hope this information helps!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Same thing here! Funny thing is I was dead set on a Toyota and against my judgment got the trailblazer........ I bought my 2005 in May w/ 33000 and immediately my gas gauge went out. Fought with the dealer to fix it and now my speedometer is going out. I'm just going to use the gps to track my speed until I decide to fix it. Loved my car but now regretting buying it. Pathetic that there hasn't been a recall yet on this stuff. Way to go Chevy! Won't ever buy you again, hope this is this the reviews you were looking for.
  • Unfortunately GM will not back up it's defects. After 20 years of buying GM's I have decided to take my money elsewhere. Talk about dumb. They ran me around the tree, made me pay $99 for a test to verify my speedometer was broken and still didn't cover it. What probably cost GM $150 to fix, their cost not ours, has cost them a lifetime customer. Such a small price to keep one. Poor quality, poor customer service and no integrity. So long...
  • Hi all,

Finally got some clarification. Inquired at Parts Centre Holland, connected with the GM-importing company. They told me that instrument panel will only be repaired and not replaced by a new cluster, due to milage fraud issues. My shop had me waiting for a couple of months, but strangely did not provide me with this information. Anyway, next week I will have my original cluster back after it has been send out for repair the third (fourth?) time. Fingers crossed.
    While still in warranty and in case the cluster has not been satisfactory repaired, I will take it to Parts Centre Holland myself, since they have a direct link with GM and thus have experience with these bad instrument clusters and ask them to forward the bill to my shop.

Regards,
    Daniel
  • billyjack1976billyjack1976 Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Count me in. I purchased a new instrument cluster(or refurbished from Chevrolet) last year under warranty. I lasted 14,000 miles and 15 months. The first time it was covered under Extended warranty that I payed for. Now its out again. So they want another 500.00 plus to repair. this looks like a serious problem that is not being addressed. Hey GM contact me. Make me a deal? cut it in half or something. I think this is putting me over the edge for Chevy. Looking at Ford. It's not so much the money to me but PRINCIPLE.
    billyjack1976 ,
    I apologize for your experience. Can you please email me with your contact information including mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and Edmunds user name? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • botomgunbotomgun Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    Christina,

I have been following this thread for quite some time, as I hope GM is. But I have not seen any real support from from this tax payer bailed out company. I would think at this point, GM would love to take care of those that have kept their company alive. How is this problem with the instrument cluster not being recalled by the manufacturer? It is obvious that it is a very wide spread issue, not only in the cars that stay in America, but also those that are shipped/manufactured overseas.

I have read your replies to various topics in various forums and they are all the same. It seems as though once the member talks about the BBB or legal action, GM wants to intervene. Why wait? Intervene now on behalf of all Americans that have stood by and supported the "Heartbeat of America".

I have had this problem for one year, and it has spread. I now do not have the use of either the speedometer or the gas gauge. I have not contacted a dealer as I am out of warranty. Nor do I desire to fork out an insane amount of money to keep this company afloat (which I am doing by supporting the dealer who buys from GM). I have already done that once (along with the rest of America). I guess I will contact the BBB. Maybe armed with enough of these complaints, they will be successful in getting this problem fixed.

Duane
  • I have also had this problem with my 2004 TB. It has been happening for about a year. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. I would say that maybe 10% of the time it works (RPM and Speedometer). I have been told that it is something I should bring to the dealer (local mechanic) but reading these posts I am feeling its going to cost too much. My wifes Suburban just died and we are looking at a new vehicle...one thing I can say is we wont be looking at GMC/Cheverolt.
  • Thanks for the link to file a complaint. I have a 2005 Trailblazer who's speedometer stopped working over the last couple weeks. I initially thought it was stuck because of the freeze but it hasn't gotten un-stuck days later. I've filed a complaint and hope others do too. I can't speak for others but I know I can't afford to fix this thing so the only way I'll be able to get it fixed is if there's a recall (I won't hold my breath)...
  • I too am having the same problem on a 2005 Trailblazer. I just spent $400 fixing the sending unit on the gas tank to get the gas gauge to work, now the speedometer only seems to work some of the time. I am not going to spend another $400 to get this fixed. GM should stand behind this issue, or at least publish work instructions on fixing the problem. I would like to file a complaint with GM, but I want to use the same complaint line as everyone else. Could someone reply with the link?
  • Speedometer on 2005 Trailblazer is misleading. You can be doing 70mph and it will only register 50 mph. Sometimes you can be doing 20 mph and it will register 120 mph. But 80% of the time the speedometer is correct (I think). This can be dangerous, especially to new drivers (my daughter who just turned 16). GM is providing misleading information to the driver and you have no indication that it is incorrect (except for driving experience).

Everyone please file a compliant to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm . You will need to supply your VIN number.

Please use the Keywords "Misleading Information" in your description and title when filing the complaint. "Misleading Information" is something that will raise flags with the safety board. Thanks and please register the complaint.
  • msmgmtmsmgmt Posts: 1
    I have 3 friends with Trailblazers and all 3 friends have speedometers that are malfunctioning. I was appauled to be in my best friends Trailblazer the other night and the speedometer was registering between 90 - 105 MPH. According to the GPS, we were doing the speed limit of 45 MPH. I took pictures of this...and I have a picture where it's registering 50 MPH as we are clearly sitting still in front of glass windows of a convienent store. I'm thinking about sending them to Fox News and have Bill O'Reiley investigate why "Government Motor Company" (which is owned by you & me) won't fix this "dangerous malfunction". My friend can't afford to get this issue fixed, which SHOULD be RECALLED....I am thankful my 16 year old daughter isn't learning to drive a Trailblazer. GM, wake up and fix your mistakes.
  • Please everyone having this problem send information to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm The more complaints they get the more attention it will get. Getting the news media is another great idea. GM does not like bad press. I know, I work for them.
  • If you work for them, pass an email up the chain to get this speedometer recalled
  • I have the same problem Chevy said took it to the dealer and pay 110.00 so they can tell me it is broken DA already know this purchased parts on ebay 6 stepper motors for 32.00 with shipping will repair myself when i get the parts.
  • psgtpsgt Posts: 1
    I guess I am looking in the right spot.My son was driving the trailblazer when the speedometer went out.Is anyone having any luck with it being replaced.My brother-in-law just had his replaced in his Tahoe.Free of charge! I can't believe how many are having this problem and no recall.What a shame!
  • We are also experiencimg speedometer malfunctions on our 2005 trailblazer. It has been malfunctioning for over a year now and as of now does not work at all! This is very frustrating and seems to be affecting many others. Chevy should take care of this problem!!!!
  • I just lost my Gas Gauge along with the Speedometer on my 05 Trailblazer. The Speedometer still works some times making it difficult to know when to trust it. My daughter is learning to drive on this car, which is very frustrating for her. I know she will never buy a Chevy. I just dropped $400 fixing the sending unit on the gas tank (which is also a wide spread issue with this model), and now they want another $400 to fix the Gas Gauge and Speedo (this time the instrument cluster). That is $800 invested in a simple GAS GAUGE, that should never fail.

Christina,

Is there a service bulletin on this problem so a DIY person could fix this problem, or is GM forcing us go to the dealer. I CAN'T believe GM recalled this same problem in the Tahoe, but not the Trailblazer!!!!

If I was to fix it, does the replacement part fix the issue. Or is it the same junk that will break again 4 years from now.

PS - I owned Chevys for 30 years, and will buy another if they will stand behind there cars. Why would I purchase something that I know will cost me $1000's in repairs.
    xchevyowner ,
    The replacement part should fix the problem. I apologize I do not have service bulletins as it is for our servicing staff. I apologize for your frustrations. If you would like to email me your VIN I can double check for recall information.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Christina,

It is nice to see that you will reply to some of us. Granted, my previous post didn't ask for anything in particular, unless you count the request for help!

Your ability to provide assistance in any official capacity on this forum appears exremely limited at best. You were unable to find a phone number for our friend over in Holland and your not sure of recall information concerning the Trailblazer. Do you really need a VIN to go forth and ask this great company if there is a recall concerning the instrument cluster on the Cherolet Trailblazer? If they ask what years, tell them ALL. Then come back with any bulletins that you are provided (I'm sure you can get them from the servicing staff). Bulletins are pretty specific regarding what the eligiblity requirements are. Maybe you can inquire why this problem warrented a fix on the Tahoe, but not the TB. Anything information coming out of Detroit would be appreciated, even if it is negative. At least we will have something to pursue.

Duane
  • I have already checked for recalls.

Why can't you give us the service bulletin to fix this? Or the Partnumber or the Assembly we need?
    edited January 2011
    xchevyowner,
    I apologize service bulletins are for the service technicians only, I cannot give out that information. I apologize for the inconvenience. I would recommend speaking with your service department about service bulletins.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • botomgunbotomgun Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    Not that this information should alleviate GM's responsiblity to do what is right, but I found a place in Syracuse, NY that will fix the dash cluster for $175. The price includes a 1 year warrenty.

I found out about this service while dropping off a home stereo component for a friend while I was in Syracuse last week. This is a large company that does mostly warrenty and extended warrenty repairs for a wide range of electronics.

I called the automotive section this morning and asked about our problem. The woman I talked to didn't even hesitate when I asked her about the TB gage cluster. Once received, the repair will be completed in 24-48 hours. If you are fortunate enough to live within driving distance and can drop it off personally, they will fix it in about an hour.

Worth a shot! Here is a link to the company:

http://www.unitedradio.com/automotive/