Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

Comments

• bob252bob252 Posts: 48
    HI, Saw your post and had to reply, can we first address your question about mileage, the odometer goes back to zero when it hits 100,000 so from the dubious (lack of) documentation there is no way to demonstrate any facts of the true reading there, that does not really mean that the is or not, that being said your next reality here is that at best only going to give you about 11 miles per gallon suburban and 15 mpg highway. (a second thought) That big ole 455 was a great engine, so was the transmission, only problems the engines had that was common was the timing chains that would normally last 90k miles. I hope you checked the rear frame rails, as I did not catch your area, as that was a major problem with most of those cars of that vintage as well as the whole frame before you go any further, when you discuss the master cyl rust issue, was it on the firewall, or just the cyl. itself? What you have shown here in your thought are common sense and all of those things need to be addressed, especially all of the brake lines as well, towing is a good idea, also check the prices on other sites for the price you are going to pay for that Gem. (before you buy it) I am retired and worked on those cars when they were new, most of the things on those vehicles were simple to service, the only nightmare was if the car was equipped with "climate control" it is easily identified it says it right on the a/c -heat controls it has a wheel for the temp settings, when they went haywire you only had heat/a/c to the windshield, be aware of that the parts at this time are probably impossible to find, if you are lucky some time it was a simple fix from what looks like a tomato juice can on the firewall the can either rusted out or the vacuum hose from the engine rotted out causing the malfunction to that control inside. There is a lot more to be said, but not enough room for this reply, but a good choice for and old safe andreliable ride. Bob 252.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 57,613
    This is a topic to get directions; generally we don't use this space to actually discuss the question at hand.

I would suggest that you cut and paste your posts and re-direct them to here:
    CLASSICS BOARD--Project Cars/Hold 'em or Fold 'em

This would be the best place to get advice for your situation!

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I thank the responders for their advice & thank the host for guiding me to a different area to post. I reposted there. Thanks!
    Hi bob252,

thanks for your help with this. I'm going to move your post to where the actual discussion on this problem of reviving a car in storage is taking place. This topic is merely to ask a host for directions on where to ask, it's not a topic that discusses problems in detail.

We'll see you, and your full post, over here:PROJECT CARS

thanks!

Host

• laserguy1laserguy1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 BMW 328i that has low miles (about 31,000) but is almost 4 years old and is near the end of its new car warranty. I am considering buying an extended warranty (breakdown protection). I would like to know what servicing BMW requires, so I can determine what big-ticket maintenance is required in the next few years. For example, in the past I have had several cars that required replacing the timing belt at 60,000 or 80,000 miles. But I have not been able to find a simple list of required service at various odometer readings. Does anybody know where I can get such a list?

Thanks
    Edmunds' Car Maintenance Guide should be able to help you with this. If there's anything else you need after reading from that list of service items, come back and let us know.

Host

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    You Owner's Manual will have a Maintenance Schedule, which will provide what you are asking. It also has a host of other information about your car.

But, when buying an 'extended warranty', I doubt you will find one that covers Scheduled Maintenance items. You will still be paying for these things yourself. Since timing belt replacement is a maintenance item, even though this is a significant repair, I doubt an extended warranty would cover it.
  • pennycopennyco Posts: 1
    I was just offered a three month job contract that may or may not turn into a full-time position at the end. We will need a second car for my wife and I to both get to work and split daycare drop off and pickup duties. If the contract doesn't turn into a full time job we can't afford the second car. Are there are safe alternatives for getting a car and turning it over in three months? If we lease we're looking at $3k down and some kind of penalty for early cancellation. If we buy new we would lose at least that much in value as soon as we drive it off the lot. I looked into renting a car for the period and it's about $2,500. Maybe a pre-owned vehicle is our only option? Anybody have any ideas?
  • bob252bob252 Posts: 48
    I would think a decent running car that is used can be purchased for that amount of money, is your daily car in good condition? how much traveling is needed for that potential position? The purchase of a second "temporary" car for that is the wisest thing as you get to keep it without burdening your finances as you willl still have either way, give that opportunity deep thought. You can use either car if your present one is better if you need to travel. Good luck.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,864
    Can you deactivate my current screen name so I can activate a new one?
    I'm sure you can. :)
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Not allowed. Please check the Membership Agreement (link is at the bottom of the page) - you agreed that you will only register once with a single username.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    How long is the period of inactivity before membership is terminated?
    A day seems long enough ;)
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Having a vehicle name in your username doesn't seem like such a great idea now, I bet. :)

(Gee, I hope I don't shrink.) :surprise:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 7,770
    Having a vehicle name in your username doesn't seem like such a great idea now, I bet.

Sneakers always are in style :P

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

I'm old enough that your username wouldn't work for me either, anymore.
    In my next life, I'll have to use something like 'Generic'. :)
  • tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    To be honest, I didn't give much thought to a username when I signed on. I had no idea I would still be around for several years. I'm guessing that others don't think about it much either.

There should be a warning asking new users if they would be able to live with their username in two, five, or ten years. ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 64,880
    Yeah... I know what you mean... :surprise:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Why it's KYEFEDEX! Hi Kye! :P

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,025
    I think I'm safe on that one.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• svridersvrider Posts: 11
    Long time lurker, first time poster here. I am in the market for a used car after 2 years. The last car I owned was a 2000 Integra GSR, which was stolen (and stripped in 48 hrs) after 9 years and 80K miles. I am looking to buy a used car with some basic requirements - manual, 2004+ model and reliable. Which forum should I post in for suggestions?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 64,880
    This looks like a good one:

Help Me Choose!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Well, welcome out of the shadows! :P

You might try this topic for starters and if that doesn't work for you, come back here for more suggestions:

BEST USED CAR VALUES

Host

• jgsavesjgsaves Posts: 4
    Not sure where exactly to post this, but I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with 91k on it. I bought it from a Toyota dealership and got the Platinum Continuous Customer Care Agreement which expires after 100,000 miles or after 4/17/2013. It is transferable. Here is a link to the webpage where you can view the brochure: Toyota Vehicle Service Agreements

My question is this- if I know that we will be trading this car in within the next 2 years, is it of more value to a dealership while it is still under warranty? Should I be able to get a higher trade-in value if I do it before the warranty expires? ...or does it not matter at all?

Thanks for the help!
    Try this discussion: Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer?

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • Hi everyone, I am going to leave out the make and model of my new vehicle purchase and trade in experience but this story is 100% true. Yesterday I went down to a local dealer to purchase a new car and trade or close out my lease. Long story short, I agree on a price for a new car and a trade in value for my leased vehicle, where the dealer would purchase the car from me and remit the payoff to the financing company. I was very pleased until this point. I agreed to a trade in value of my leased car of $14,900 which they said would match the payoff balance of 14,900 at the leasing company (they called to confirm the payoff).

So I complete the bill of sale, purchase and financing contracts on 8/31 that show trade in of 14,900 and pay off of 14,900. However, it was the end of the day and for some reason the dealer had a computer glitch and I was unable to sign the electronic "Dealer trax" system they use. So as it was around 10pm, I agree to comeback on my lunch break for 5 minutes and finish it up. I went home with the new vehicle and turned my old vehicle over to them. Afterall, I did have the bill of sale contract and all the other paperwork.

When I went back today, I was there for more than I bargained for. Because I had made a payment on my lease on 8/31 the payoff had apparently dropped to around 14,000.00 with the leasing company. And I was told that I need to sign another bill of sale for the updated payoff amount. When I looked at the new bill of sale the trade in price was now knocked down to 14,000.00 again matching the lease payoff.

I refused to sign the new bill of sale and told them we have a done deal and they can work the accounting out themselves. I was rather livid.

I did not request the difference at the time, but the more I think I believe I am entitled to the difference between the original 14,900 on the bill of sale as the TRADE IN VALUE, versus the 14,000 that was the lease payoff amount. Am I wrong in thinking this way? and what would be the best approach to getting my money back? I feel like I should hire a lawyer or write a letter myself to recoup the difference. Any advice?? Thanks in advance.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,025
    Your situation is interesting, and I'm not sure I've ever seen it before. However, I think that if you put your question in our topic called Purchasing at the End of Your Lease, you will get feedback. Some of our experienced members look at that discussion (and I will make sure to steer them your way).

You can just copy your post here, and paste it into that discussion - just click on my link to get there.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• lcs6lcs6 Posts: 1
    I need an SUV and would even consider a minivan that can fit lots of people at least 8 and must have good cargo space.

What would you recommend as a very good vehicle and give me a good deal to lease? I don't intend to buy the vehicle at end of lease, will have low mileage and probably lease for 3-4 years.

thanks. :confuse:
    These discussions should help:

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign
    Cars for Moms - comments, concerns and wants!

and you'll find a lively debate here...
    Minivans vs SUVs

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host