Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Ford Freestyle News and Views

2»

Comments

• In the following article:
    "Ford Motor Co. would have had three cars — the Ford Freestyle crossover and the Mercury Montego and Ford 500 sedans — make the list if they had stability control, the institute said. The 500 and the Montego earned top safety picks last year.

Ford spokesman Jim Cain said all three vehicles will get stability control for the 2008 model year, with versions equipped with the safety feature on sale sometime next year. The company has not determined whether the feature will be standard or optional, he said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/ap_on_bi_ge/us_safe_cars_5
  • kjnormankjnorman Posts: 243
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that this safety institute will no award top marks to any vehicle if it does not have stability control. I think this is just wrong! Having driving an AWD Freestyle for 18 months, the AWD version at least, does not need stability control. It is plenty safe as it is.

If it needs stability control then it is being driven by a complete Neanderthal that should not be on the road.
  • kjnorman,

I think your comment is shortsighted. I too have been driving our Freestyle for the last year and can not recall an instance where I needed stability control, but you and I have been fortunate. Just like ABS or airbags this is a technology you hope you never have to use, but when you need it it can save your life.

It has nothing to do with how good of a driver you are. Anyone could have a car swerve in front of them on a two lane road, or have a car pull out in front of them at the last moment requiring a high speed maneuver to avoid an accident. There are many of these type of situations where stability control would save you from a certain accident regardless of your driving skill.
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    LOL if you live in Atlanta, a city of 41/2 million, you see every kind of accident there is. If not in person, on the news. Sadly, more often than not, if there is a rollover, it is an SUV.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,992
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=55

Freestyle, Pilot, Tribeca and MDX all rank the best.
  • Thanks rick2456. That has been my observation as well, many roll-over accidents involving SUVs just by driving a couple of vacations and around town in the last few years. For those who think stability control is not helpful, they are probably the same ones who think high center-of-gravity vehicles never roll over.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098
    "For those who think stability control is not helpful, they are probably the same ones who think high center-of-gravity vehicles never roll over."

They most certainly do roll over. However, the FS is not a high center-of-gravity vehicle, and has very good rollover ratings (4 stars).
  • The Freestyle has a higher CG than cars, lower than Ford Explorers, in the middle of the pack.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    I drove an Edge yesterday, and since i have a Freestyle, here are my comments and comparisons: the Edge is very good-looking, has good seats (better than the Freestyle in the front), a nice ride, decent handling, a good sense of solidity. However, its steering and brakes are not as good as the Freestyle's, and its transmission (6-spd) needs recalibration. Of course, the Freebie has more cargo room, but the Edge's interior is done better and you can get a full power seat on the passenger side. The Freestyle drives more like a car and, while its engine is not as powerful, the CVT is more cooperative. The Edge is a good vehicle, but needs a little attention to steering, brakes, and transmission behavior. The Freestyle is probably on its way out. But who knows with the way things are at Ford.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,729
    do people want a totally new vehicle with the same name or the same vehicle that has improvements over a longer time?
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • The Freestyle can be freshened up in the styling department, and maybe tweaked to give it larger tires for a version of it that would appeal more to people who value looks over fuel economy (bigger tires = less MPG). Why Ford created the Edge is beyond me when they could have just updated the Freestyle and had a better vehicle than the Edge!
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    Agreed! But it is evident that there are serious planning problems at Ford. Now with their huge debts, the future is very uncertain, even survival is in question. I hope the Freestyle makes it into 2008 with the new engine and transmission, but I lament the passing of the CVT. My partner said maybe we should start buying spare parts.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 309
    Folks,
    What is the future of the Freestyle i.e. is Ford going to keep making this vehicle? Or are they going to rename/rebadge just like they did the 500?

I like the Freestyle and want to know if it will be available at the end of 2007.
  • Now it looks like 2009 will be the last model year for the TaurusX, replaced by the combination of the Mazda6-based Ford Edge, the stretched Flex (D4 Volvo-based chassis), and the all-new unit-body Ford Explorer due out in about a year. The Freestyle and TaurusX were the D3 Volvo-based chassis, and I think the all-new Explorer will be based on the D3 (?-notSure). The Escape rounds out the small end of the unit-body crossover vehicles.

Ford has, and will continue to have, a huge selection of all shapes and sizes of crossovers.
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    I was at my dealer body shop (small spot of rust in the channel of the rear lift gate)and the manager said the new design changes will happen in 2010.
This discussion has been closed.