Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Frontier Crew Cab (2000 & 2001)

2»

Comments

• Options
    keaneckeanec Member Posts: 349
    If you check back in prior posts in this townhall or the CC vs Sport trac discussion you will see a lot of pros/cons for both vehicles. I would suggest you spend some time checking them out.

I am biased for the Nissan because of a number of reasons; perceived quality; price; and past ownership.

The Dodge is bigger, has more power, is more expensive, and you can add options in more combinations. It is also, IMO, better looking.

Contrary to what others in these discussions say, I find the CC has ample power (as long as it isn't a "work" truck that tows all day long) and the quality of construction is very good.

IMHO, I think the price/quality/reliability makes the Nissan the choice if you plan on keeping the vehicle a long time. If you only keep them until warranty expires, then quality/reliability isn't as important; although the resale value is and I think the Nissan would be higher.

I guess my two cents is that I am a firm believer in Nissans quality and I have problems believing the Dodge is any better now than it was 10 years ago.
  • Options
    julieajuliea Member Posts: 1
    I'm also looking at the '01 Frontier and the 01 Dodge Quad Cab. I'll be test driving the Frontier this weekend. Any suggestions on things to look for? How has the back seat worked for "real" passengers not just cargo? Any thoughts on 4wd vs 2wd? I've already made one mistake buying a 99 Grand Cherokee. I'm trying to avoid making another!!
    Thanks!!
  • Options
    bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Julie, the rear seats on the Dodge offer more room (shoulder, hip and leg). Everyone who has ridden in the rear seat of my Quad has commented on the comfort provided. I have not had rear seat passengers on trips that were extremely lengthy, so I cannot give you a valid opinion on that. As far as 4WD is concerned, it is important to know more about your driving needs, what type of climate you encounter and do you intend to drive through inclement driving conditions. We (my wife and I) have 4WD vehicles for many years and would not like to be without them. My wife used to worry when she looked out of the window in school and had to start figuring how she would get home without going up this hill or down that hill. Now she does not have those concerns although she realizes that you must operate the vehicle demonstrating extreme caution in snow or ice. Braking and other drivers present a danger.

Bookitty
  • Options
    ingallsingalls Member Posts: 12
    Great news!!..I finally got a Nissan representative to answer my e-mail. They are working on a Super Charger for all other trucks with the 3.3 and they feel it should be out sometime this January. I have no idea what the cost will be or what it's going to take to have it installed, but this will save us $$ for those of us that want to keep the 2000 model and want to upgrade the engine to pump out a few more horses. I want it not because it doesn't have enough power to do what I need, I want it to get out of the way of the other idiots on the road faster!!
  • Options
    lv2basslv2bass Member Posts: 2
    Must say my extensive check of prices, bang for buck, looks, sensible bells & whistles moved me from Tocoma, to Frontier. Only thing I did not like was the back seats are really bad for big folks, so hopefully you don't know too many big folks, they usually end up sitting up front anyhow. I drove it and the ride was much better than rest. The newer supercharge is hitting now and if you like a little quicker with more gas usage then go supercharge. Believe it or not I sold my Lexus RX300 becuase loose mulch did not look good in the rear compartment of the Lexus, (ie.) , I needed a bed to help with yard work. This should help my needs. Hope it holds up and would like comment from anyone who has owned one and if any problems have occured? My email is ants1954@aol.com Thanks, Peter
  • Options
    cecedogcecedog Member Posts: 3
    I have 1998 Nissan 4x4 SE with the 4cylinder 5 spd. I am really disappointed with the gas mileage on the low geared 4 banger. i get about 17 mpg in the city and near 18 or 19 on the highway. The dealer said that all the injectors are clean and i don't drive that aggressively (when i do drive aggressively its about 15mph).

Could i get some feedback on what everyone else is getting with the V6 5 spd or automatic?? I have heard 18/22 because the engine carries the truck better, but any feedback would be great. I like the truck other than the terrible acceleration and low mileage.

Thanks
  • Options
    cecedogcecedog Member Posts: 3
    I have 1998 Nissan 4x4 SE with the 4cylinder 5 spd. I am really disappointed with the gas mileage on the low geared 4 banger. i get about 17 mpg in the city and near 18 or 19 on the highway. The dealer said that all the injectors are clean and i don't drive that aggressively (when i do drive aggressively its about 15mph).

Could i get some feedback on what everyone else is getting with the V6 5 spd or automatic?? I have heard 18/22 because the engine carries the truck better, but any feedback would be great. I like the truck other than the terrible acceleration and low mileage.

Thanks
  • Options
    rdm138rdm138 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my Frontier for 4 months. I have recorded each tank of fuel and the mileage as well as the MPG. I have had one tank below 20 mpg; my highest was 26.3 mpg; and I average about 22.
    I do a lot of city and highway driving as well with at least 10 mile\week locked in 4wd.
  • Options
    rcar1rcar1 Member Posts: 3
    I have purchased a 2001 4x4 crew cab and have already put 6000 miles on it. My family and I are accustom to the smooth ride of a mini van but after riding in our crew cab we can now find a few flaws in the ride of our van. The ride of our crew cab is SMOOTH.It pulls the Tennessee hills great and I like the acceleration when I pull out into traffic.Our 2 kids are comfortable on long trips and it makes light work when pulling our pop up camper. I put an after market fiber glass flat bed cover on to give us trunk space.The electric blue really stands out and Idon't mind all of the attention when people stop me to talk about it.At 6 foot 265lbs I do lean the seat back quite a bit to be comfortable while driving and I do not have any desire to ride in the back. I think people over 6 foot tall may find a little problem with headroom.So far gas mileage is around 20 mpg. Over all ,the GOOD by far out weighs the BAD. Would be nice if car makers would make more vehicles to fit us taller wider people.
  • Options
    Congrads on your new purchase!!!

It sounds like your experiences mimic mine. I have 2 kids, I drive with the seat all the way back, I pulled a pop up (recently traded for a 23') and I think the good far outweights the bad for my 2000 SE 4x4 CC. The only difference is I put on a full cap to put the kids junk in the back.
  • Options
    umanzorumanzor Member Posts: 1
    HE EVERYBODY MI NEW HERE, ANYWAY I READ EVERY BODIES COMMENTS OF BOTH 2000 AND 2001 MODELS OF THE NISSAN CREW BAB.AND ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THE 2000 MODEL IS BETTER THAN THE 2001 MODEL. EXAMPLE: THE 2000 MODEL HAS A WAY BETTER DESIGN,ITS BUILT WITH MORE STEEL,ITS MORE RUGGED AND MUCH BETTER. NOW WHY THE 2001 MODEL IS NO GOOD,UGLY DESIGN,THE BUMPER IS PLASTIC NOT LIKE THE 2000 MODEL,ITS MAY HAVE MORE HORSEPOWER BUT THE 2000 MODEL IS BETTER BY FAR. COMPARE THEM YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN........

LOS ANGELES,CALIFORNIA
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    If you're having problems with your Nissan Frontier, or have insights for those with problems, please visit our Nissan Frontier problems discussion. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Pickups Host
  • Options
    lilly2000lilly2000 Member Posts: 25
    HAS ANY ONE NOTICE HOW MUCH THE NOICE IN THE CC INCREASES, 50 MPH AND UP
    HAY DON' WE AL COMPLAINT TO NISSAN, SO THEY CAN CHANGE THE RUBBER AROUND THE DOORS,,,
    ................. HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCE THIS PROBLEM OR IS JUST MY TRUCK.....................
  • Options
    STEVEN, HOW CAN I GET A BETTER RATIO ON MY TRUCK HOW ITS DONE,, DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT WILL COST?
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<GOOBA,,,, HOW CAN THE TRANSMISSION RATIO BE DONE?,,
    guys, I travel 95 miles a day from home to work. it is all why,,I WOULD LOVE TO GET BETTER GAS MPG..... HAVE ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE NICE PROBLEM AT HIGH SPEED IN THE CABIN?
  • Options
    leroytleroyt Member Posts: 4
    I have to run at 2700-2800rpm to get 70mph. Is this excessive? I only get 16.5-17 on the highway. Supposed to get 19. The truck seems to be struggling to keep the mph. Its a V6, automatic with overdrive. Any comments? Thanks
    leroyt
  • Options
    trucklucktruckluck Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of purchasing a Nissan Frontier CC, but have small children. Would like to know if rear seats can hold forward facing car seats? If so, do front passengers have enough room to sit comfortably? Any info would be helpful. Thank you!!
  • Options
    hydrogeekhydrogeek Member Posts: 10
    I test drove a CC two weeks ago and brought my children and their car seats. They both use forward facing (one regular, one booster) and they fit fine in the rear seat. I am 5' 10" and the resulting seat position left enough room for the car salesman in the rear seat behind me during the test drive. With the front seat all the way back there is still enough room for children in their car seats. The rear seat, in my opinion, is perfect for children.

Additionally, the Nissan has a passenger side air bag disabling with in the dash if you need to put a child in the front. The great thing about the switch is that it can only be activated with the ignition key so that the kids can not play with it.

I am going to be purchasing one toward the end of this month. I have been very impressed with the build, fit, ride and quality of this truck. I am an engineer and I am very finicky about rattles, ride quality and workmanship. This is not a perfect vehicle but for the price and features it can not be beat.

For those who have posted messages about messages about gas mileage suffering at highway speeds and RPM's at 2,600 to 2,800, remember three things: first this is a truck, it should be low geared to pull heavy items such as trailers, second this is a vehicle with a higher center of gravity, it has a much higher probability of rolling over at 75 and 80 mph than a car, please slow down, and lastly, if your under 9 to 10k miles on the truck the engine is not broken in yet, mileage will get better.

Try a test on your next long trip and travel at 65 mph and measure the mileage, listen to the wind noise and enjoy the scenery.
  • Options
    mpruittmpruitt Member Posts: 18
    ...at what point (and to what benefit) should I make the move to Mobil1 synthetic motor oil? I've got 2000 miles on my Nissan SE Crew Cab (3.3l V6) and would like everyone's (well, maybe not EVERYONE'S) opinion. Should I do my first oil change about now?

Also, why the heck does Nissan put General Grabber tires on this otherwise-terrific truck? Any thoughts about performance on these ugly rubbers? I've not heard anything positive from folks who know about tires.
  • Options
    trucklucktruckluck Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for such a quick response. We are going to test drive one this afternoon. We love the look of it and now know it can be a "family" truck. Thanks a million!!!
  • Options
    I agree with your info on the room in the back seat. I have two kids, 2 & 4, one uses a high back booster the other a forward facing one...There is definately enough room and you can get them in easy - although it is much easier with the booster. I will say, though, that in the winter in is a little more snug with all the winter clothes and boots; but what vehicle isn't. My CR-V had almost no more room and it was built for a small family like mine. My only suggestion is a organizer that fits over the back of the front seats to protect from the fids feet until they get out of the car seats and their feet hit the ground. As to the air bag key; my 2000 CC doesn't have one and I have been b___hing about it every time both my neice and nephew want to come.

As to your other copmments..right on!! They make perfect sense. If I had a lower geared rear end I wouldn't be pulling my 23' travel trailer!!!
  • Options
    I would reccomend changing your oil at this point. Back when I was younger (before kids) I built engines as a moonlighting job. I always changed he oil out within the first 1000 miles. The reason why is that the internal engine parts are wearing at a rapid "break in" rate which creates tiny metal particles that float through the engine. The oil filter does pick up these particles for the most part but my theory is that an oil change is cheap so why risk allowing that oil to circulate for 7,500 miles as some manufactures state.

About the Mobil One product, I have never used it but my understanding is that it is about the best oil product on the market. The difference in price over regular oil is narrowing now that crude oil costs are higher. Therefore, the cost per oil change may only be $6 to $8, if you do it yourself. Also, use the best oil filter that you can get, such as the Mobil One filter. It is better than OEM (superior filtering) and only costs about a buck more. Look up www.nissanfrontier.net for an interesting discussion on engine oil.

To keanec, you can have a switch installed to disable the passenger side air bag. It requires permission from the Federal Government to do so, but it can be done. I believe it is the National Highway Transportation and Safetey Administration. Good Luck.
  • Options
    tupelo2tupelo2 Member Posts: 1
    I've recently gotten into the market for either a cc, kingcab, or xterra. A dealer offered me a new 2000 cc SE 4X4, 5spd, Utility Package and Sport Package for 21,500. This appears to be about $350 below invoice. Edmunds no longer lists TMV for the 2000 model. The dealer is about 100 miles away, so I'd like some information from people here if possible before driving out there. My questions:
    Does this seem like a possible real offer or a lowball to get me onto their lot? Alternately, is the market value of the 2000s even lower now?
    Does the 2000 cc have a sliding rear window (Dealer didn't know)?
    I'd like to hear about people's real world cargo expereince with the short bed and bed extender. I do a lot of fishing amd camping and a good amount of work on my house, so this is a real concern. I know it won't handle 4x8 sheets of drywall, but do most of you find it usable for standard homeowner/outdoors chores? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    mpruittmpruitt Member Posts: 18
    ...I got my first oil change, to Mobil1 10w-30 at 2150 miles and immediately noticed the engine seemed quieter. Not that I thought it was "loud, buzzy" or any of those other complaints I've read in reviews, but it does seem quieter now anyway. It wasn't any smoother, as the 3.3l is pretty smooth anyway.

Anyone's thoughts on the quality of the General tires? I'm interested in hearing from some Frontier owners about their satisfaction with them...
  • Options
    leoman814leoman814 Member Posts: 1
    I've narrowed my choices for a new vehicle to either the Nissan CC or the Toyota DC.
    Most comparisons on this Discussion Board centered on the Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Just wanted to hear your views, experience, etc about the Toyota DC.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    spiritwalkspiritwalk Member Posts: 1
    I know this may not be quite the right forum, but does any know of a RV camper which will fit the Frontier crew cab bed (1999 or 2000 models). Thank you for your comments.
  • Options
    jayson4jayson4 Member Posts: 5
    hi i'm 15 years old.. i'm trying to convince my dad to buy a new Nissan crew cab he says "its a truck".. "its not good for a family".. but from what I've heard it sounds like it can compete with a mini van.... any suggestions? he said nissans are poor quality..... any suggestions?
  • Options
    onlyoneonlyone Member Posts: 39
    The Nissan Crew was the first of the bunch, and so it has gotten bashed the most, but it is a versatile truck. I think a family with smaller children would be able to live with one a little better than a family with bigger kids. The main complaint I've heard is that the leg room in the back of the crew is really not that good. I don't own one, but I do know that all the competitors to the Nissan (Tacoma Double Cab, Dakota Quad Cab, Explorer Sport Trac) have more rear leg room. The Quad and the Double Cab have longer beds. The ride is not bad for a truck, but much firmer than minivans or cars. As for quality concerns, Nissan and Toyota are tops, but you'll pay more for the Toyota. If you have ever visited the NTSB's website you'll see how many problems (and I know I'll never hear the end of this!) Ford and Dodge vehicles have (in general) as compared to Nissan and Toyota. I personally know many Ford and Dodge auto/manual transmission horror stories. But there are problems with every brand, every model. If you need a truck in the family, go for it, otherwise get a minivan and save us all the gas.
  • Options
    toyrotatoyrota Member Posts: 66
    I compared both the Nissan and Toyota side by side, and in the end, Toyota won (for me). Larger bed, more rear leg room, comparable price, and a nicer "feel" (again, to me). All of these things add up to a Toyota win!
  • Options
    nissancrewcabnissancrewcab Member Posts: 12
    Just wanted to inform you that the recommended oil for our truck is 5W-30 not 10W-30. The first number is the winter weight and this time of year it is more important than ever.
  • Options
    First I think you should visit this site (Edmunds) and price a Nissan SE Crewcab and make a list of all the options that you get for the price. Then compare the Tacoma DC with all of the same options, include the optional V6. You will see that there is about a 3 to 4k difference in price. In my area, Nor Cal, the Tacoma is selling at or very near MSRP because it is a hot new truck in its first year on the market.

Yes the Toyota has about 5" more bed length and a whopping 3" more length in the cab, but it also is narrower than the Nissan. The Toyota has a few more ponies from the optional V6 but for near the same price you can buy the Nissan Supercharged CC.

I for one am purchasing the Nissan next week and feel much happier with comparable quality, much better looks, more creature comforts and will spend less money.

Sorry for the gripeing.
  • Options
    larosalarosa Member Posts: 1
    I could use some feedback concerning the 2001 CC super charged model. I like the truck alot but I'm worried about the mechanics, repairs, insurance, value and the future resale of a super charged truck, (yea I know I'm thinking ahead but I own a super charged BMW 97 M3 and trying to sell it hasn't been very easy- 74,000 miles). Well, I put a small deposit down on a fully loaded silver CC, asking price was just over $27,000 (the dealer also gave me a fairly good trade in for the M3). Funny, I wasn't looking for the SC model it just happen to be on the showroom floor ready to go. Finding out about this SC model has been difficult so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. Joe
  • Options
    HI!! GUYS, WHAT IS GOING ON, NO IS REPORTING ANYTHING ABOUT THE CC, ARE THEY DOING THAT WELL, MINE IS AFTER 11K MILES IN 6 MONTHS, I LOVE IT EVERYDAY MORE. THE 4/4 IS GREAT, THE ENGINE SOUNDS BETTER NOW THAN IT DID WHEN NEW.. IF YOU ARE THINKING GETTING INTO ONE, LOOK FOR A GOOD DEAL, THE ENGINE IS GOOD. THE 3.3L USE TO BE THE PATHFINDER ENGINE FOR OVER 10YEARS, I THINK, I COULD BE WRONG, BUT YOU GUYS CAN LOOK INTO IT........ KEEP DRIVING THEM... ADD A 12 CD CHANGER BEHIND THE BACK SEAT.. AND DON'T WORRY, KEEP FRESH OIL IN IT
  • Options
    cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    I just learned that Nissan is going to put out a 6' crewcab in the fall. I can't wait for this as my wife and I are avid campers and think this would be an ideal vehicle. How does everyone like their crewcabs so far?
  • Options
    I have a 2001 SE CC and believe that it is a great all around vehicle. It combines all of the benefits of a truck and a SUV. I have the short bed and really like the versatility of it with the bed extended. The overall length of the truck makes it easy to park and is beneficial to serious off-roaders. It rides fairly well on the highway but still rides like a truck on the rough concrete sections of highway here in Cal. My word of caution with the long bed version is that it would not fit in my garage with room to walk in front or behind it. Something to think about.

The quality, body fit, comfort is excellent! The stereo system is great, the visibility is good, great outside mirrors, good ride height and comfortable seats. Also, it has gotten a five star side impact rating, dual air bags, full box frame, super quiet inside and does not lean like most SUV's around corners. The down sides, could use a few more horses under the hood (for the normally aspirated V6), Toyota has 190 std. and rear doors are narrow for adults to get in and out off.

Overall, you can not beat the value of this truck, and it looks great. I always have people looking at it on the road. I have had people on the highway pull along side and look at it for a mile or so. I didn't think that it would be that much of a head turner, but it is.

cb70, you can not go wrong with this truck.
  • Options
    trippinglizardtrippinglizard Member Posts: 56
    I test drove a nissan "crew" 4x4 and a dodge "quad" 4x4 . . . their is lots more room in the dodge . . . the v8 engine in the dodge flys even compared to the jumpy sc v6 in the Nissan. The dodge has a much better sound system and the ride is more car like than the nissan, yet has better off road capabilities and can tow Babe the blue ox!! Yes dodge isn't AS reliable, but that's what warranties are for . . go dodge you won't be sorry!!!
  • Options
    You said it...the Dodge is not as reliable and you need warranty. Does Dodge pay your timeoff work and do they pay in leiu of for your aggravation? What happens if you want to keep this vehicle 5,6,7 or longer years? What happens then? I think you made the arguement why you are much better off with the Nissan.

Also, where I am from the Dodge is much more expensive before you by the extra warranty.
  • Options
    cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    The new nissan will have an optional 400 watt Rockford Fosgate cd player! I like the dodge, but want 4 doors and a 6 foot box. Dodge doesn't offer that yet.
  • Options
    mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    Saturday I test drove a 2001 XE CC 4x2 with the
    Deluxe pkg, Power pkg, Utility Pkg, bed extender,
    bed liner, floor mats and receiver hitch. The local
    dealer is asking $21K. Is this a good deal?
    Needless to say I'm very impressed with the ride
    and build quality.
  • Options
    coas2coas2 Member Posts: 8
    I am thinking of buying a 4X4,SE,CC,SC. The dealer I have talked to, briefly, says I have to put 92 octane or higher in it for the life of the vehicle. Why? What would a lower octane(Reg. Unleaded)do?
    I am not a gear-head but give me the technical and generic explanation please.

Thanks, coas2
  • Options
    coas2coas2 Member Posts: 8
    Goto NissanDriven.com and price the truck. Sound like a great deal to me.

coas2
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's (new/used vehicle guides) also has the tools to help you add up your vehicle price & options. Here's the direct link to their new vehicle price calculator. In addition to invoice/retail value, they also list the "true market value." Here's an explanation about true market value.

Of course, keep in mind that the "true market value" may not necessarily be the same as the "best price." To get the best price, you might want to try Edmund's Power Shopper.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board

• Options
    toyrotatoyrota Member Posts: 66
    This is due to the supercharger. The burn rate of fuel depends on the octane rating. Since the supercharger is "stuffing" more air/fuel mixture into the combustion chamber at higher pressure, you must give it a higher octane fuel to ensure that the fuel is completely burned in the chamber. Using lower octane fuel will cause pre-detonation, or pinging, and will "gunk-up" the engine. If you're gonna get the SC, be prepared to use "premium" octane fuel for the life of the engine. (this is one of the things that led me to purchase a Toyota DoubleCab v6 - comparable horsepower/torque ratings on 87 octane)
  • Options
    I AGREED WITH EVERY ONE, THEY ARE BOTH TWO GOOD TRUCKS,, BUT THE TO YO TA DEALERS ARE NOT LET IT GO FOR ANYWHERE NEAR THE INVOICE PRICE,, THE CC IS WONDERFUL, I HAVE A 2000 SE LOADED,,, I WIFE IS TRILL WITH IT, SHE DRIVES IT MORE THAN I DO, THE PROBLEM WITH TOYOTA IS THAT THEY WANT TO MUCH MONEY FOR ALL THE EXTRAS STUFF,, UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAID FOR IT, GO AHEAD IS GREAT TRUCK TOO...MY TRUCK HAS 12K WITH NO PROBLEM AT ALL YET!
This discussion has been closed.