Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Options
    nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Yep... there's something to be said about a set of points, a condenser, a distributor, a manual transmission and a carburetor. Nothing more than that, thank you. Simple, perhaps quirky, but surprisingly reliable too.

UH-OHHHHHHHH!!! I didn't mean it! No!! Noooooo!!!!!

Well so much for my Disco...
  • Options
    kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    I have read from here and there that it will have the 4.6 engine, new and improved cup holders and possibly a longer wheelbase, which should improve the departure angle.
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Lucas made the points and condensers :)
  • Options
    You will not hear anything concrete on the 2003 Discovery for quite sometime. We just started shipping the 2002 models (which have the new and improved cupholders). I haven't heard much, but I doubt if you will see any wheelbase changes until 2004, when their should be a major rework of the vehicle.
  • Options
    You mentioned the new 2002 cup holders in an earlier reply to me indicating that they would be in the center console area. Are they going to be add ons like the ones now for the side of the console or will they be permanent and more central. If they are add ons where will they fit and what will be the cup size? Also, when will they be available to purchase as an accessory? Sorry to bother you guys and take up space here with such a trivial matter, but a good cigar and a mug of coffee (with a place to put it)are essentials for long road trips to get to offroad destinations.
  • Options
    agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    Will the Nav system in the discovery be the same one in the freelander, because I remember you saying that the one in freelander. does not have a very detailed directions on it.
  • Options
    The owners manual says change oil/filter every 7500 miles. The dealership recommends 3000. My personal practice is 5000, although with the new 2001 DII recently purchased, I changed at 1000 and am planning another change at 3000 and then go with 5000 after that. The reason for the early change was because the engine is new; yet a local mechanic I know tells me I am wasting money, that because modern oils do not break down like they used to, 7500 is fine and no need to change before then. The dealership also told me there is no "break-in" period for the new engine, yet the manual clearly states that there is a 500 mile period that the vehicle should not be driven over a certain speed, etc. What gives?
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Don't you think that Land Rover wouldn't put those numbers in your manual if they have not researched it enough? Don't you think that one would sue them if something indeed breaks down and it would cost money from the buyer if Land Rover didn't put those numbers in the manual? Who do you think invented the 3000 miles oil change interval?

Don't want to sound rude or anything but . . .
  • Options
    The Nav system is incorporated into the audio system head unit in the dash. It does have limited visual directions (ie. no mapping function) but is as accurate at audio directions as any of the other nav units are.
  • Options
    Oil is cheaper than metal.

During break-in there are bazillions of tiny metal flakes from the machining steps that wear off and are free floating. The filter catches them, and will need replacing in order to catch more. As the parts all get comfy with each other it is CRITICAL that they never ever come in actual contact; they must be separated by oil film at all times or galling will occur. Break-in is the most likely time for galling to occur from oil saturated with metallic debris.

In every new engine I ever built or bought I never took it over a slight percentage of redline for 500 miles, with frequent on/off throttle cycles to flush particles off the cylinder walls. As I approached 500 miles I'd run it fairly hard to a bit higher RPMs a few times, getting the new parts *slightly* looser than they might otherwise be... a loose engine revs harder and runs better than a "tight" one. Once over 500 miles, I change the oil and filter, then start driving it a little harder until 1,000 miles. Still never reaching redline, but driving it increasingly more like I intend to drive it after break-in is over. Once I hit 1,000 miles I change oil/filter again, then drive it hard; Rover engines seem to thrive on regular hard use.

I never go over 3,000 miles between changes. Perhaps the oil can handle it, but there are many byproducts of combustion the oil catches (which is why it gets dark) and some of these are corrosive or acidic, or act as thinners to the oil film (unburnt fuel).

Considering how much you spent on your truck, and how long you intend to own it, fluids are ALWAYS cheaper than metal. This goes for swivels, diffs, transfer case, brakes, steering, transmission as well. Make sure you recycle the used stuff, and consider synthetics in long-term areas like the transfer case, transmission, swivels and diffs. Engine oil can be a synthetic blend since it gets changed so often. I also recommend GOOD filters, and have had good luck with WIX, Napa Gold and Purolator (pretty much the same filter).

Regards, -Bob
  • Options
    sgyorffysgyorffy Member Posts: 4
    SALTL1543YA282915

Disco II - Thanks
  • Options
    The smart-aleck answer to your question would be "Yes, I can" and leave it at that. ;) But I wouldn't do that. Your vehicle was built on 05/10/00.
  • Options
    sgyorffysgyorffy Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    langeralangera Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone recommend which dealer I should bring my 98 Disco to for warranty repairs? I have a bunch of niggly little things, and I don't feel like waging war to get them fixed. I live in Boston, and can go to Metro West, Peabody, etc.
  • Options
    grover4grover4 Member Posts: 13
    with some regret we traded in our 95 discovery (what is it with these cars that you get so attached) for a new disco II . TinCup can you tell me the birthday - 1A732095. Also can anyone tell me whether there are any other sites for cargo liners and other accs besides Atlantic British?

Thanks for the help and all of the great info.
  • Options
    Congratulations. Your new vehicle was made 05/23/01.
  • Options
    langeralangera Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone recommend which dealer I should bring my 98 Disco to for warranty repairs? I have a bunch of niggly little things, and I don't feel like waging war to get them fixed. I live in Boston, and can go to Metro West, Peabody, etc.
  • Options
    grover4grover4 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the info - a weds car - hopefully we will have as much fun with this one as the last!
  • Options
    buroskyburosky Member Posts: 90
  • Options
    http://www.roverparts.com/

http://www.discoweb.org/ (look under "Resources" then "Vendors")
  • Options
    c2soxc2sox Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001 Disco II SD7, When you get a chance please let me know when she was born, her number is "1A702598". Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Your's was built on 09/22/00.
  • Options
    When will the 2002 discoveries be available at dealers
  • Options
    They should be showing up in the next couple of weeks if they aren't there now. The differences are very minor to the 2001 models. Different wheels, cupholders are the main things that will be on the SD's and the SE's. The HSE wont be available until summer I've heard.
  • Options
    Thanks for the MFR date on my Disco, but I forgot
    to inquire if there were any negative marks on her. She was a lease return vehicle, her previous owners had to unload her due to a job relocation. She seems to be running great with minor flaws (see post 971) and she's the best damn truck I've ever owned!
  • Options
    dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Member Posts: 32
    kbonnel- I have a 2000 DII and would gladly trade you for the 18" wheels. I have the same wheels 16" aluminum wheels that they used in 2001 and they are in very good condition. If interested I live in the Chicago area. e-mail me if interested.
  • Options
    HSE discovery wont be availble to summer of next year, but its for the 2002 model year?
  • Options
    kwamedogkwamedog Member Posts: 35
    Well, we just completed our first 1,000 miles in our 98 Discovery(she now has 25,100 on her). It took us only two weeks to do it. Despite having three cars in our driveway we can not bring ourselves to drive anything but the Rover. My Jeep is getting lonely but it is too bad because the Rover is so much more fun to drive. Our dealership has been awesome -- I wonder if all dealerships are this good and this accomodating. Kudos to Denver South and to Kirby the sales guy! They are making sure that we are happy and that every little thing is taken care of so that the truck is as close to being new as is humanly possible.
  • Options
    No problems on this vehicle at all, only 1 minor adjustment.
  • Options
    Yes, 2002. I could be off on intro date, but I think June should be when it's available. These would be built in March-April. It takes about 45 days to get them from England to the Ports, and another few weeks to get them to the retailer.
  • Options
    Do you know why HSE discovery is coming so late.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on my Disco. I understand that the US corporate offices is somewhere in Maryland. And I've read in our local papers here in Southern California that Ford has decided to house Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin and the Lincoln divisions all in one building here in Irvine. Do you know when this will be happening and if there are any plans of opening up exclusive Land Rover driving schools over here.
  • Options
    I'm afraid I don't know the reason.
  • Options
    Actually only the some of the people are going to Irvine. With the consolidation of Land Rover, Jaguar, and Aston Martin, the Lanham headquarters of LRNA will be closed. Technical and support functions will be relocated to Mahwah NJ, while marketing fuctions will be located in Irvine. As of Sept. 1, there will be no more Land Rover North America, it will be part of Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover North America. Volvo and Lincoln, also part of Ford's Prestige Auto Group (PAG) are unaffected by this reorganization.
    I have heard there are plans to expand the driving schools to other areas of the country, but I have no info on timetables, locations, etc.
  • Options
    02discovery02discovery Member Posts: 47
    Needing a Land Rover fix, as I await the delivery of the 2002 Discovery's, "02 Discovery" was on the prowl again. This time a "dart" to the map landed us at a land Rover dealership in New Jersey. The salesman, who I will call "John" was truly a fan of the Land Rovers which he sells. A most enjoyable visit to a fully equipped Land Rover Center. No pressures, just honest information concerning their vehicles. My Land Rover fix came in the form of yet another jaunt on the Land Rover demonstration track. I swear to you all I will never tire of going up and down that hump of a hill which they use to demonstrate hill descent control. I swear to you all, that when we took the "tilted hill" my heart was all a flutter. I'll never tire of that little demonstration course.
    I'm not sure if this information has been posted previously but here goes.
    As of July 20th 2001, Land Rover announced that they will be introducing the HSE model in the fourth quarter of the year. (Exactly what 4th quarter means I have no idea)
    The series II HSE will feature as standard equipment a ceiling mounted Rosen DVD entertainment system for rear seat passengers. Upgraded stereo featuring a new Becker receiver with in dash CD and full function navigation. Options listed are as follows;
    Cold climate package.
    Suspension package. (ACE and SLS)
    Rear seat package.
    Rear AC.
    Java Black Paint.

Don't hold me to this but it looks like HSE models will not be available in lightstone leather with the Alveston Red exterior.

Two new exterior colors are available. Vienna Green which replaces Kent Green and Zambezi Silver. the Zambezi silver will not be abailable until October production.

Just making a contribution to this forum. I hope this information is helpful to someone. We are going fishing for the Labor Day Weekend. Leaving tomorrow at 3am. Wish I was taking my 2002 SE Discovery with rear air, SLS, ACE, cold climate package, etc, but we don't have it yet. By the way this dealer that we visited also said that he is expecting the 2002's to start arriving in the next couple of weeks.
    Wishing everyone a splendid Labor Day Weekend,
    as always,
    Best Regards,
  • Options
    Will the exterior of the HSE look any different from other discoveries.
  • Options
    Not really.
  • Options
    waskowasko Member Posts: 103
    Nanuq:

Speaking of fishing, did you ever get into the salmon here in WA? I heard the silvers are running and we're going to give it a shot next week. I've been a huge salmon/steelhead fisherman all my life in MI and am looking forward to a little action in the sound. We're going to head out to Whidbey Island. Thanks - wasko
  • Options
    expert1expert1 Member Posts: 133
    Anyone had any complaints of wind noise coming from the drivers door near the dashboard? The passengers side is quiet, but I noticed a plastic vent sandwiched between the door and the dash and that is where the noise is coming from. Is that part of the flow thru ventilation? My rig has 8500 miles on it so far and other than that no complaints. The mileage isn't that bad either.(13-16)
  • Options
    Sorry pal... you ain't gonna catch no Silvers around Whidbey island. I've got a friend with a boat and he's simply given up... he says with the cost of boat/gas/trailer etc. the price of his salmon is around $800/lb. now. He's a trout fisherman now. (grin)

If you want Silvers come on up... they are SLAYING them down in Resurrection Bay by Seward. I mean guys are catching/releasing them till their arms cramp up. I've just been fishing the rivers here and I've caught maybe 20 this year without even really wanting to. I just let the little beasties go... bye fishy... go make more... :)

The really fun ones are the sea-run Dolly Varden, they're as silvery as the salmon, almost as big, and have that delicate "char" taste. Mmmmmmmmmm

Have fun fishing! -Bob
  • Options
    She is constantly wanting to drive and is even racking up the miles. I can't believe this but she even said "I can't wait until it snows." This is so out of character for her (but a big turn on for me). She never said any of these things when she was driving an Acura. She must have roveritis.
  • Options
    I'm afraid there is no known cure. Some have tried with older Series vehicles, some resort to new models every couple years... but to no avail.

Just enjoy it. It's not fatal, just expensive.

:) C'amai, -Bob
  • Options
    pjd1pjd1 Member Posts: 13
    I've had great luck with LR Peabody's service dept.
    Jeff Milne is the Service Director and he is excellent.
  • Options
    pjd1pjd1 Member Posts: 13
    I've got a question that the rest of the group may have some thoughts about....
    When is the optimal time/mileage to trade a LR
    and lose the least amount of money?
    For example: If I drive about 20K annually
    and I sell my truck at about 36K miles, I lose
    about $10K, about $0.28/per mile.

If I keep it for another 10K/mi and take it up to 46,000, since there would only be about 4K left on the factory warranty, I'm guessing I'd lose at least another $3,000...ie: 0.30/per mile.(Plus
    the cost of brakes, tire, and maybe shocks.)

(I do realize that if I drove a more normal 12K/per year, that I would still lose the $10K, but at least it would take three years to do it.)

In any event, has anyone else done the math and come to a different conclusion of the optimal time to trade?
  • Options
    We were driving our Disco today when an odd occurrance took place. We were on a very bumpy dirt road whe all of a sudden the right change signal went on. Mind you, we did not actually activate the signal -- it did it on its own. The lever next to the steering wheel remained in the neutral position the whole time. We pulled over to look at this (and to make sure that the dash was not just blinking without the signal actually being on). I asked my wife to move the left signal and of course both signals were blinking. We turned the car off and the signals kept on blinking. It looked as if we had the hazzard signal on, but of course we did not. I asked her to put turn the left turn signal off when she did this the left one went off but the right one just kept on blinking (mind you the key was not even in the ignition). Finally, we turned the truck back on and the right turn signal stopped blinking. Since then she has operated normally. What in the heck could have caused this?

Next question: We have noticed that the black seal around our rear windows have become brownish in color. Almost like they have some kind of glue on them. We have no leaks or anything like that but the seals look kind of brown and aged -- what is that sll about?

Mind you we are fairly new to the Rover thing and have only had our 98 Disco for about a month. She is awesome but definitly has some quirks. Tomorrow she is going back to the dealer to get a new driver side front seat belt put in as the old one clicks. She is also going to get some new cargo bins in the back because the old ones were cracked. This is all on the dealer as they agreed to fix these things at time of purchase (they have been great). I wil tell them about the phantom blinker and will see what they have to say.
  • Options
    kwamedog:

The turn signal thing could be a loose fuse (speculating?), or just a Lucas gremlin. I had something very similar happen a couple of months back in my '97 Defender. Had the heater blasting (cold, rainy day in the mtns), the wipers on high, and the radio going. Pulled into a parking lot after driving for over an hour and shut her down and the hazards popped on. Same thing - have the wife look (in the rain - she wasn't happy), key out, restart, and problem went away. Luckily, it seemed extremely isolated and I haven't had anything like it since.

On your Disco, if you're referring to the inner window seals near the small round seat release buttons, it could very well be a bit of rust. The rear A pillars in my '96 DI had started to rust (there's a lot of steel under that aluminum skin!) and I too had discoloration of those seals.

Also, on the '96, the rear side windows and rear window outer seals cracked around the corners. It only seemed to be cosmetic as I never had leaking in any of the places.

Keep on enjoying the Rover - you're experiencing some of the smaller things with ownership - things that give it character.

Thanks - wasko
  • Options
    Just posted two posts, then went back to edit my first post. After editing and clicking on "Post My Message", I received a "Page Cannot be Displayed" error and, after a couple of refreshes, my 2nd post disappeared. Not sure if this was PEBKAC (problem exists between keyboard and chair), or a site problem. Thanks - wasko
  • Options
    Well, have had the DII for two weeks now and thought I'd post my impressions. Overall, this vehicle is top notch and I'm very pleased.

We just did a 200 mile round trip (started on Whidbey Island fishing for silvers near Fort Casey, jumped a ferry to Port Townsend, then another ferry from Kingston to Edmonds). Did about two hours of casting and got skunked (nobody else was catching either, but this midwest river fisherman has a lot to learn about throwing spoons in the sound, tides, kelp, etc. :) ), then drove about and did some sightseeing. The trip was extremely comfortable and the DII handled everything in stride.

Here's my short list:

Dislikes
    1. driver cabin space - even though the DII is wider, I don't know where the space went. Seemed to be more elbow, hip, and legroom in my DI.
    2. headrests - liked how I could tilt them in my DI and relax a bit on longer drives. No such luck in the DII. Also, that rear center headrest is a pain and I removed it.
    3. Just like the sequel to a scary movie, those damn small cup holders are back again :)

1. engine management - overall, this thing hunts through the gears amazingly well and does a great job
    2. not having to crane my neck to see the traffic signals
    3. acceleration - couple sport mode with driving in 3 around town and this thing handles more like a sports car than a Landie
    4. sound system - I can remember posting 2 years ago (when driving a DII loaner) about the stereo and it's just phenomenal. Don't like the new CD changer though - it's a bit harder to load the magazine than the one in the DI.
    5. climate control - absolutely first rate. I'm always too warm and the wife is always too cold. The digitally controlled system does a great job at accomodating both of us

All in all, great enhancements in usability and small creature comforts. Since I want to own this for close to a decade, I don't think I'll do too much offroading in the DII (I've got the Defender for that), but I'll definitely look for an opportunity to exercise HDC and low range when I get a chance. The DII will see lots of use as a daily driver as well as going to the mountains for skiing, fishing trips, runs to Vancouver, etc.

Thanks, wasko
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for the new PEBKAC acronym - has that nice "operator error" ring to it.

Sometimes Town Hall will have a "hiccup" like it did earlier this morning and will lose posts (I'm assuming your posts got fried this am - looking at the times on your post, you must get on the computer awfully late or too dang early).

Usually (if notice your post got blipped), you can go back in your browser and find it and then cut and paste it into a new message. Apologies for the glitch.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    rp_fencerrp_fencer Member Posts: 13
    Any rover owner who installed or planning to put a Mobile Entertainment System.

Saw one showroom Disco II at LR redwood city and it has a ceiling mounted video screen and a panasonic dvd player attached at the cargo area floor, beneath the right third row seat when you put it down. Ask Good Guys and the guy told me it will cost something aroung $1,300 including installation.

Any concern about having it on a rover. Have a toddler (15 months) now and we been driving to Sacramento for visits from the Peninsula(SF) and she gets bored at times.

Thanks