Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I should take you up on that, but I have no idea where they are located and I actively try to avoid driving much around this area. Work isn't far from the 405 freeway - only a couple of lights and a couple of stop signs - and that's all the urban driving I want to do. Give me a dirt road out in the middle of the mountains any day!
    I'll let you know tonight - so far no big deal (though I did have to think about it).
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    YaY!!!

tidester, host
  • welcome to the unlimited club!! our numbers are growing

jeff
  • bolted a hitch to her rear end. a couple grab handles from ranglier, and some husky floor liners for the front floor.

i had to remove the factory tow hook to put the hitch on. i saw on the warn site they sell "shackle bracket" http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/shackle.shtml to use as a tow point from the receiver hitch. the hitch is rated at 3500 #s, question for those that have seen more vehicles pulled out of mud holes / creeks / rivers than I have, is the hitch strong enough or do i need to rig something else up. (not planning to get stuck anytime again soon, but want to be prepared if I am)

jeff

ps,, I like the bright green!!
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    That puppy in the link you posted ought to work fine. I wonder why the hitch itself is only rated for 3500 lbs, though?

I think you should be OK. The hitch mounts to the frame, right? And the shackle bracket goes right into the receiver of the hitch. As long as the frame is taking the load when you are being pulled out, you should be OK.

It is sometimes necessary to "jerk" a badly stuck vehicle out of the mud, so the shock load should be taken into account.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Yup, you'll have to try hard to break that one!

However, are you sure you have a Class III 2" receiver in the hitch you fitted? If it's rated at 3500lbs it may be a smaller Class I or II.
  • its a class II, ACME out of Kansas City. they didn't have a class III for wranglers. bolted to the frame on both sides with one grade 5 bolt and one grade 8 bolt.

jeff
  • Hi-

Does anyone have a link to pics of the 2005 unlimited. I am very curious to see what the gray flares look like as well as any of the other cosmetic changes.

Thanks,

Jeff
    I guess that combination of bolt grades is to cover the bases. Grade 8 being stronger but less flexible than the Grade 5.

Actually, it's more likely that the hitch will bend if you need a heavy 'snatch' to pull you out, than the bolts will fail.

However, you should measure the size of the receiver to see if the 2" Warn insert will fit.
    I posted a couple of pics last month in #13881.

mac24 Aug 21, 2004 1:25pm
  • my hitch says its class II (3500 gross towing weight) the heaviest hitch they had for wranglers. Mine has a 2" receiver. I looked at reese's website & drawtite's site, their class III hitches only show a gross towing weight of 3500#. reese and drawtite have a 1 1/4" receiver on their class II receivers. 2" on their class III hitches.

are they rating the hitches to align with the vehicles rating??

jeff

bought the hitch not knowing it would require taking off the tow hook or I would have kept looking for different hitch, or better yet convinced myself to get a different bumper with the receiver incorporated into the bumper. Whats up with those cheap / cheesey end caps on the factory bumper? the rest of the jeep is so well built then they put those things on there.

oh yeah,, and I bought a CB on Ebay tonight, the highly recommended (by Paul) Cobra 75WXST; Tom, 3 weeks ago when i was asking all the questions about buying a jeep, why didn't you tell me I'd be spending so much on all the extras???
    I took a couple of photos at the dealership when I picked it up. I haven't decided if it will be a guy or a girl - maybe girl this time since the Sport is a guy. I'll take more when in the morning - we stopped for dinner and it was too dark when I got home. The 2 I took are at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/188823439kZLZAP?281

It was cloudy (marine layer never really burned off) so the color is a hair more blue than it really is. Hopefully tomorrow's photos will be better.

I found out one of the ways they have made the Unlimited quieter - they have added fairly thick padding to the carpet (there isn't any on my NBS). The back carpet didn't fit on mine - it was a bit short, so the dealer swapped it out with carpet from another one on their lot (an advantage for one color interiors), and I took a good look at it while we were changing it out.

The soft top is definitely hard to manage. The person showing me how the top folded back fixed it that way while we were signing our life away, then showed us how to put the part by the doors into the channel. I tried to take it out and couldn't get it off! It's going to take a while to get used to it.

The soft top Unlimited is both quieter and noisier than my '98 hard top Sport. It doesn't have as much road noise (tires, engine), but I hear traffic around me more. It isn't necessarily a bad thing - it is easier to tell what is around me.

I like the automatic - it is still geared low in first so I can just creep along in slow-n-go traffic and not use my brakes much. The tranny is very smooth but it did go in and out of overdrive more than I liked going up the Grapevine. I used the switch to turn it off on the steepest parts. Looks like a tranny cooler is going to be a good idea.

I LOVE the auto dimming mirror with compass and temperature. It was fun to watch the temperature go from 89 down to 68 at the house. And there are lights on it! I was really surprised by the internal lights in the Unlimited - SO much better than the Sport! I'm just now starting to read the owners manual to figure out all the changes to the controls (there are more than I expected - great fun!).
  • I’m fugal, and didn’t think I wanted to spend the $$ on the fancy mirror,, its just a mirror after all right?? Guys never get lost, whats the compass for? Well that’s what she had on her, so I took it and I absolutely love the compass, I cover 4 counties for my job, its so nice to see that I am headed in the right direction if I’m trying to get to a house out in the country…

Your comment about coming in / out of overdrive was exactly the opposite of my initial feelings about the tranny. My 4 runner would bounce in / out of OD all the time I was so happy when I was driving the jeep home from the dealership and it didn’t shift down coming up out of the river bottoms though the cut in the bluff.

jeff
    "...are they rating the hitches to align with the vehicles rating??"

Undoubtedly, probably after legal advice. Don't get me started on that subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use heavy duty Olympic bumpers, front and rear, with integrated receivers. Gives me lots of options.
  • twylietwylie Posts: 619
    another interesting tidbit about towing rating and lawyers is that the short wheel base Wranger is rated at 3500lbs in almost every country BUT the USA.

-twylie
    Exactly! Though to be fair, the higher ratings granted elsewhere are usually for braked trailers.

The mechanical components of the Wrangler are quite capable, witness the Unlimited's 3500lb rating, it's the wheelbase that worries the lawyers.

Should you dare to exceed the 2000lb limit here in the US, even with a low profile correctly balanced braked trailer, you run the risk of a fine, denial of insurance coverage and severe financial exposure should you happen to be involved in an accident, even if it's not of your own making.

A vehicle/trailer combination that's perfectly safe and legal in most parts of the world suddenly becomes an illegal deathtrap when it turns a wheel on an Americaqn highway!

(Hmmm........ I think I said something previously about not getting me started!)

;--)
  • guy21guy21 Posts: 129
    Every time I go through the '05 Wrangler brochure, something new jumps out at me. This time it is the option content of the SE models.

A base SE comes standard with the 2.4L I-4 engine and six speed manual transmission. However, when the four speed automatic is specified as an option the package includes the 4.0L I-6.

Per Edmunds new car pricing, this option would appear to cost $2,105 and you would still have an SE trim level Wrangler. Will they be ditching the 4 cyl and SE completely next year?
  • Congratulations!!!!

I wish my wife like the Wrangler as much as I do…The other night I picked her up at the train station because she was sick. On the ride home she said to me, “I know you love this vehicle, but it really sucks when you are sick.” I told her (very sympathetically), “I wouldn’t know, I don’t drive it when I am sick.” I am glade I have a wife who loves me.

mtgal: I know what you mean about the Santa Monica area. I lived in Mar Vista (near the 405 and Washington Blvd) for 1 year to the day…I could not wait to move out of LA. The traffic, the noise, and the fact that someone tried to still my car twice (once out of my parking garage) did not make it an enjoyable place to live.

Glen
    I've added a couple of more photos to my album (see post #14352). I'll see about getting one in the sunlight tomorrow - part of my problem is that it is almost too shiny!

Some more impressions - we found out that the sentry key system works - the second key didn't work this morning. I finally let my other half drive this morning. We had left the Sport at work last night so we only had one car at the house, and we were leaving early this morning to do the American Heart Association walk and pick up the other Jeep. He started the car, it ran for a couple of seconds and shut off. Initial panic - what's wrong with our brand new car!?! Then I remembered the owners manual said this was normal for an unprogrammed key. So not only did the other dealership stick my dealership with a carpet that was cut wrong, but they had probably lost the key and while they cut a new one, they didn't bother to program it! A quick trip to my dealership (since we were already in West LA) and both keys now work.

We watched the video (excellent source of information) and then, using the book, we figured out how to use the sunrider option on the Unlimited. Very nice, though 68 is a bit cool for sunroof driving. I think that I'll probably use this more than going completely topless. And I'm not sure what all the straps they give you are for, though I did figure out which one to use for the sunroof right away.

The soft top Unlimited is MUCH better than a hard top Sport in the wind. It is more stable all the way around and so much easier both in the city and on the highway. It seems quite a bit thirstier than the Sport - the first tank was only 16 mpg. I sure hope it gets better as time goes on. Granted, this tank had more city driving than usual, and there are only 350 miles on it (137 miles when I got it - they drove it from the other dealership).

What do others do to keep their extra straps in one place? I'm probably just going to use a ziplock bag in the side pocket, but wondered if anyone had come up with a better way of doing it.
    Now you've got two keys you've got the ability to program more. The instructions should be in your handbook. You can usually get the blanks at a very good price on eBay. It's worth getting at least two more. One to hide one the outside (but make sure it's really hard to get at!), and another to keep at home (or with a neighbor, or in your bank box, etc.).

Second, I'm sure you know you can't get an accurate mpg figure until you first verify the accuracy of the odometer, then either track the amount of gas used over a fair period of time, or consistantly fill the tank to the filler neck each time (which can be a long and tedious process). You certainly can't trust that the dealer took the trouble to make sure the tank was completely full.

Good luck with your new Unlimited........ I'm jealous!
    I did see the instructions in the handbook, but will need to re-read them again. I agree that getting a couple more is an excellent idea.

The 16 mpg was a rough estimate - I realize that there were too many variables (I have no idea what the mileage was when they filled it up, if they let it idle for any time after filling it up for some reason and so on). I usually keep track of how much fuel and how many miles and then average over a period of time - it seems to work best for me. I'll be happy if I can get 2 round trips to the office and back on a bit less than a tank of gas.

By the way, I drove the Unlimited not quite 10 miles beyond the light coming on and put over 17 gallons in. If I do the same thing with the Sport I only put in just over 15 gallons. So it looks like the gas gauge is more accurate on the Unlimited - I'll have to watch that 'cause I'm not used to that!
    Harriet:

WHOA! That is ONE BEAUTIFUL JEEP!

If I had any doubts about Electric Lime Green, they are gone now. It's a great color.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, Jeep Buddy!

Tom

Have you hugged your Electric Lime Green Wrangler Unlimited Jeep today? (Bet ya have!)
    "oh yeah,, and I bought a CB on Ebay tonight, the highly recommended (by Paul) Cobra 75WXST; Tom, 3 weeks ago when i was asking all the questions about buying a jeep, why didn't you tell me I'd be spending so much on all the extras???"

:)

Surely you knew going into this that JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket, didn't you????

Tom

• Hi all - I just went off-roading for the first time since childhood with some Rubicon-owning coworkers, and I LOVED it!

I have lots of questions. Today's adventure eliminated any notions I had about a CR-V or Escape. They would not have survived. I don't think even a capable SUV like the Liberty or Xterra would have been able to turn around on the old mining "roads" we were traversing. There was just no space, and the Wrangler's short length was essential. I learned a lot about wheel articulation, low gearing, and locking diffs today.

I drove for while and my main complaint is the steering rack. It's awful. It's all loosey-goosey, with absolutely no feedback or communication of the road surface. I felt extremely isolated and detached from the road in the Rubicon, which was surprising. I expected it to have a high fun-to-drive quotient all around, but I wouldn't want to drive this in the city much. I think the ideal setup is a Wrangler for off road, and a real car for everything else. Anyway, can I do something about the steering rack? Is there a sportier, tighter aftermarket setup?
    The Wrangler doesn't have a steering rack. It uses a conventional power steering box/drop arm/drag link/etc.

The initial reaction of most people when driving a Wrangler for the first time, is that the steering seems overly light and almost too sensitive. Most people find the quick response ideal for city traffic. Generally, the least favored conditions are on an open highway or bridge with gusting side winds. Loose steering with no feedback would indicate a fault with that particular vehicle.

Anyhow, I'm glad you had a fun time and it didn't change your mind about becoming a Wrangler owner.
    Wouldn't want the steering to be "too" responsive, since the rest of the vehicle would not be "up to it."

Ya gotta realize that off road capability means big time sacrifices in on road stability and handling.

Short wheel base, narrow track, and the high center of gravity due to good ground clearance all take away from highway handling, but, man, do they ever contribute to awesome off road capability! A Jeep is never gonna feel like a car on the highway. You just have to be willing to accept that in order to be a Wrangler owner.

Tom

• i got some wide 2 sided velcro, using it to strap everything to the roll bars, those little straps, shovel, flashlight, tow strap. works great, keeps everything from bouncing around.

i could only find the stuff in a 25 yard roll. can't figure out what to do with the other 20 yards.

jeff
    Had to make a run to Mickey D's for breakfast grub this AM, and the local DC dealer is just a few hundred feet down the road from there. I am in the habit of circling the lot after I pick up the food, and that's what I did today.

This time there was a silver 05 Unlimited soft top with a six speed manual tranny sitting there.

It looked pretty good, but I noticed that the flares were painted silver, just like the body.

What's the deal there? That's sure better than GRAY FLARES!

Tom

In responding to your comments/questions about steering, I didn't think about the underlying reason for them, i.e., driving fun.

Joe, to me, driving my Jeep, even on the pavement, is FUN. Sitting up nice and high with good visibility, seeing people eyeball my Jeep and smile, the Jeep wave, and, oh brother, the ULTIMATE: topless/doorless driving on nice days!

So, there are different ways to have fun driving a vehicle. Power and handling are not the ONLY things that contribute to driving fun.

Tom