Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• wpowellwpowell Posts: 125
    This looks like a good deal (not mine or anyone I know):

http://www.floridajeepers.net/viewtopic.php?t=24896
  • eltipoeltipo Posts: 21
    That does sound like a great deal. Plus I am in Florida. Only problem is I have an '05 Unlimited.

I have read sketchy things about the Gator Top place and customer service on other forums. For the price of that top, I can find the Mopar half cab (close enough $715). Problem is I would have to buy the door surrounds and tailgate bar. That's another $185 or so.

Any Floridians (or South easterners) w/ an Unlimited looking to unload a soft top?

Thanks
  • I bought a 2003 Wrangler with dual tops and found out that the soft top doesn't have the windows. I had the dealer buy me new windows (in black when the soft top is Green) and when they gave them to me, the rear window didn't have the lower bar and the window doesn't have the sleeve to put the bar in it. Does anyone have an idea if there is a separate place to get the matching windows WITH the rear bar and sleeve for installation?

I hate the thought of going to the local dealer, but might not have any choice.

Here is a picture of the rear so you can see what I mean...
    image">

And another one....
    Help in Northern Virginia!!!!
    Thanks - Chuck
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    First of all, you MIGHT want to size your pic down by editing your post and putting width="550" next to the link to your pic. Makes the pages much easier to read.

Secondly, the bar should be part of the soft top setup, so if the dealer provided the soft top, they should provide that bar. I'd try them first.

Otherwise, you can probably find one on eBay easily enough since you already have the brackets for that back window installed. I would only try this route if dealing politely with the dealer does not work.

You might also try Bestop. They sell OEM style replacement parts and should be able to help you at least with the color matching. Does your top say Bestop anywhere on it (usually by the header by the front door).

The only issue I see with it being used is that the dealer may not be too willing to add stuff that they have to pay for (though most likely they pilfered parts off this one for another Jeep on their lot - it does happen). However, since the dealer provided the soft top stuff (windows), they should realize that the bracket is essential for using said back window. :)

If you need to buy them
    http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAU&Prod- uct_Code=TJrod&Category_Code=Wrangler6

Good luck!

-Paul
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    No top to sell you but also make sure you check the auto parts sections of the http://www.craigslist.org/ for all the cities within a reasonable drive of Florida on a regular basis Buddy of mine picked up a soft top for his '99 on the Charlotte one. Shame you're not looking for an Unlimited hard top...there's one for sale on the Raleigh one right now.
  • Paul - I tried to find a way to edit my post, but I guess that it is too late to edit it. I will try to remember it next time I make a post.

First, as I best can tell, this is a factory soft top that came with the dual top on this particular jeep.

I did call the dealer that I bought it from (a Chrysler dealer) and they told me that I need to take it to the Jeep dealer and have them let the selling dealer know what they need to order to complete the top. They did advise that they would buy it and I would have to return to them the 'replacement' windows that they ordered for me.

The Jeep dealer said that they can order the same color for both the side and rear windows and the bar at the bottom. I was 'stunned' at the prices. They quoted me $238 for EACH side window, $198 for the rear window, and $129 for the bar! What a RIP OFF! :mad:

If they renege on the original purchase of the OEM, I will look to aftermarket tops.

Thanks for all the information! - Chuck
  • durability05durability05 Posts: 142
    Thank You for the excellent information on racks, I actaully thought the KM was well designed, except all the pictures were on softops. After all your inputs on wind noise etc. I'm am probably going to go for the Wilderness Tailgate Mounted Trail rack. I got the Mopar factory hitch on the wrangler which is a 1 1/4 reciever, so that limits me , specially since my bike rack etc are all 1 1/4.
    Also about ease of removal of hardtops, softops etc. I prefer the push botton power top of my mustang, and its excellent wind defection of its windshield. My wrangler's seat belts would sing in the windstream with the top down. I will keep its hardtop on permanently, anybody needs a dual top?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    Ebay Item # Item number: 4645808574

heres a half top for an unlimited on EBAY, looks good!!

jeff

I tried to post a link, it wrapped around and didn't work, so edited my post to the item #, sorry its not just an easy click.
    Plus another $200 in parts for the door surrounds and tailgate bar...I guess it's still cheaper than a new soft top.
    Drewmeister,

what did you do to create "tiny url" ?

jts

guess I'm not supposed to post without something Jeep related, got a bestop bikini top for christmas, put it on a week ago, really nice. its a "sunlighter" its transparent, lets some light through, I like it more than I think i would have liked one that blocked all the light. I may be pealing it off for the weekend, its so nice out right now, I don't think I need any top.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    Go to http://tinyurl.com/ and paste the long link in the box there. http://www.makeashorterlink.com/ is another.

Steve, Host
  • durability05durability05 Posts: 142
    Kommando, do you know anything about the Wilderness Tailgate mounted trail rack. I notice it has two supports that are removable via pins. Is it for the 200 pound capacity. If I was only to carry 50-75 lbs. Do you think I can get away with not having to install those supports. This means all my weight carrying would be on the factory spare tire carrier. I have pretty much narrowed myself to this set-up. If I don't have to mount the supports for now, I will go ahead and order one from 4wd hardware
  • mmitschmmitsch Posts: 7
    Does anybody have any suggestions as to what to use for cleaning the soft-top's clear vinyl windows on a 1999 Jeep Wrangler? Mine are the grey tinted type. Also, what is the best thing to clean and protect the top with?

Thanks!

Mike
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Meguiars makes a couple of excellent products:
    Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner and
    Mirror Glaze Plastic Polish
    As for the top itself, I like Raggtopp Cleaner and Fabric Protectant.
  • chow3chow3 Posts: 37
    Hi- Looking for seat covers for 05 Khaki unlimited(neoprene?). Any suggestions? Also looking to add a tow hitch. What do you all think?
    Thanks Chow
    i bought smittybuilt / outland seat covers: they faded badly in just a few months and the seams tore when i took them off to wash them.

As far a hitch, I have an ACME, I bought it at the local farm store. It always seems to take me longer than the directions estimate for installing parts, but it was pretty straight forward and not that difficult. Holding it inplace while putting the bolts in was the hardest part.

on my 04, I got a Hoppy trailer wiring harness, it is a t shaped connection just unplug a connection in the rear fender well and plug end each into the T Connection, it was really easy.

jeff
    I had my 3500lb tow hitch installed by U-Haul of all people and they did a great job for next to nothing. It's never given me any trouble. I tow a johnboat with it sometimes.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    I bought and installed a U-Haul on mine. Took about 30 minutes. Everything fit perfect.

Terry
  • keatskeats Posts: 412
    Lemon Pledge will work great on the Windows. For the top I have used 303 Protectant Cleaner and Vinylex. I like the Vinylex more, it made the top look better than new.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Posts: 168
    Well, I installed a Tomken bumper. Technically, it's not tow rated, but it works great as a receiver with a drop bar, and it gives me more clearance than installing a separate hitch would have. Plus, it's got tow pins or will carry a D-ring adapter in the hitch part. I wound up custom-splicing a harness in the wiring at the rear behind the gas tank (solder and heat-shrink connections) Sounds like the Hoppy would have been much easier. I have a flat-bed converted boat trailer that hauls everything I don't want to put in the Jeep (or can't fit).
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Posts: 168
    Saw this on an episode of Trucks and Tivo'd it for later. Looked like it worked great. The whole episode was about improving the paint on a TJ.

Trucks 4/15/06
    Jeep Rubicon Project -- Flitz
    Flitz "Ball" system was designed to polish wheels, but its buffing attachment and polish works great on plastic and plexiglass windows of a soft top.
    Phone: 800-558-8611, 262-534-5898
    www.flitz.com
  • dtrabdtrab Posts: 2
    My Check Engine Light went on in my Jeep Cherokee so I took my jeep to Auto Zone. They gave me the code P0455 and said there was an Evaporative Emmission Control System Leak. So...what does that exactly mean and how serious is it? Help, Please?!
  • rross8085rross8085 Posts: 4
    common cause is a faulty gas cap.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Posts: 270
    Wow. The U-Haul places I called would not even talk to me once I told them I had a Wrangler. They wouldn't even sell a hitch to me. I am surprised the U-Haul stores vary that much in policy.
    I have one of those balls from a different manufacturer. I will have to try that some time.
    I have the bestop seat covers. They are not neoprene or at least not the ones I have. They are waterproof, which is what I wanted. The fit isn't great but it is good. I am happy with them but they are starting to come apart a little. I am not sure how many years I have had them but it has been awhile.
    The stock tire carrier is rated at 50lbs and that includes the spare tire. I wouldn't do it. I do think the stock carrier can carry more than 50lbs but I wouldn't push it too much. I don't own a Wilderness tailgate rack and from the pictures you can't really tell much either.
    You may want to look at getting a 2" receiver instead. The receiver racks work good and some of them are raised. I think they have adapters to go from 2" to 1 1/4 so you could still use your bike rack and whatever else you already have.
    I would take your hardtop and doors off on a nice weekend and see how you like it first hand. I use a bikini top here a lot because of the heat and it keeps the wind down also. I even drive doorless with the full top (softop) on sometimes and I really enjoy that.
  • rross8085rross8085 Posts: 4
    you can always order one online from Uhaul. the hitch for the wrangler supplies everything needed including the fish wire to get the bolts into the frame. mine took about 30 minutes to install.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    dtrab:

I could be as simple as the gas cap not having been tight at one time, and, if that is the case, the light will eventually go off.

The fuel systems are closed loops on vehicles made after some point in time several years ago. The idea is to prevent any gas fumes from escaping to the atmosphere.

A periodic check is made by your vehicle to test for pressure leaks in the fuel system, and when one is detected, the check engine light is triggered.

Tom
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?