Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• History Channel

Modern Marvels
    4 x 4

The history of four-wheel drive vehicles includes their use by the military; in off-road competitions; and by police and firefighters. (2002)

Saturday 9/25/2004 1:00 AM, 1 hr

Might be good, might not,, i've got it set to record. I've got a card in my computer it works like TIVO. Love it, but not as much as my jeep.

jeff
  • Hi all,
    Just installed a Banks Torque Tube header and Stinger exhaust kit on my 97 Wrangler Sport. As some of you may know, the stock exhaust manifold is prone to cracking, mine was broken in two places. I took the opportunity to do a bit of upgrading to my Jeep.

Here are my observations on installation and performance:

Installation was truly bolt on, everything fit perfectly without fuss. Didn't have the tool to remove the fuel line from the injector rail so I just laid the intake manifold across the top of the engine out of the way, bolted on the new header and reinstalled the intake.

The muffler removal, however, wasn't a walk in the park (drive in the woods?). After an hour and a half of prying, twisting, hammering and cussing I resigned myself to taking it to a muffler shop to have it loosened. The muffler guy cut away most of the muffler inlet pipe, leaving just enough to keep it in place until I got home (less than 10 miles). Turns out that the inlet pipe is crimped and won't simply slide off the catalytic converter. After I got home I cut the tailpipe off with a grinder. Installing the Banks Monster muffler (polished stainless, very pretty) and the stainless tailpipe was as simple as sliding everything into place and tightening the clamps.

Performance impressions: This is all seat of the pants observations, but it does seem that there is a bit more bottom end torque and highway speeds are achieved a little more quickly. Throttle response is improved, too. The exhaust note is deeper, more resonant but may be a bit loud for some people. However, at 60mph with a soft top, wind noise drowns out the exhaust sound.

Workmanship of the parts is very good. All the bends are smooth, welds are even (but unpolished on the otherwise flawless muffler), and as I mentioned earlier everything fits without fuss.
    All parts are stainless steel. I ordered direct from Gale Banks Engineering. When I asked about the lower prices on the the web, the salesman said that those systems were probably the previous kits that included the Dynaflow muffler instead of the Monster muffler. Total price was just under $800 including shipping. However, if you can't wait the 10 days for UPS ground, might as well spring for fast delivery (I wish that I had).

Jeep info: 97 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 5spd manual, soft top, 2.5 inch suspension lift, 235x75R15 Michelin XC-LT4 for street use, 31x10.50 Goodyear MT for off-road, Ramsey 8000lb winch on heavy winch bumper and rock side rails.
  • So do I...Even though it is welcoming me by name on the top.

Glen
  • Thanks Tom,

It looks simple enough. Where did you ground it?

I went ahead and saved your pictures on my hard drive for reference when I install the CB (which arrived today...I hope it works, it looks in great shape). I will probably order all the mounting stuff and the antenna after I get back from my vacation).

Glen
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    I have an overhead CB rack, and I grounded it using one of the screws that hold the front end of the rack onto the windshield frame.

Good luck on your install.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Welcome, and thanks for the write up.

Tom

• Thanks for the information. As you indicated, it is pure cosmetic. I WAS HOPING that there was more of a design change so that it looked more like the traditional '49-'51 Willys that I owned about 15 years ago and wished I had never parted with... OH how smart/stupid we get in our older years!
  • It was the craziest thing. The guy i had been dealing with since wednesday that had my figures and discounts i did not see yesterday and today. So i told one of the sales people i was working with this guy and all i needed to do was pick a color. They tell me that he called and quit today, hmmm. So i tell them about the the money off and i decided not to trade in my GC and I wanted to do a 36 month lease instead of a purchase. She comes back and says the deal was based on me trading in my GC and a lease payment would be the same as a purchase payment. This is not what i had been told as i have posted here, and a lease payment should be figured on the $20,500 but they wanted to figure the lease at $25,500 MSRP, which is not correct from previous lease experience. I could tell she really did not want to make a deal so i just left. I called the guy i had been working with and he said he quit after closing on his house and could not help me.....I guess it was too good to be true.....
  • that stinks!!

jeff

i'm assuming nothing had been written down?? by the guy that quoted you the price?
  • I'm curious as to where and how everyone with a cb mounted the antenna. I made an L-bracket out of stainless steel that mounts between the left taillight and the body (saw one on a website but didn't want to pay the $40 for it).

The only drawback is that I get interference from the fuel pump. Anyone else? Perhaps an electrical filter on the pump power lead would cure the problem.
  • Unless I hear this antenna mount sucks and there far better and easier ways to mount an antenna I will be going with the Arizona Rocky Road mount. http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/pages/1/index.htm.

Glen
  • Glen,

I hope it doesn't suck, i've got one on the way too, I'm getting the one that mounts to the windshield hinge.

jeff
  • We had written down offers, however, the offer had my trade in on the sheet. When i said i did not want to trade my jeep and wanted to just out right purchase/lease the unlimited it was like i had never been there before and driven 2 unlimited the past 3 days. The guy quiting did not help the matters any with having to start over with a new sale person who wanted to make her months salary off me. Maybe they guy really got fired for making to good of a deals??? Maybe......
  • 99tj99tj Posts: 187
    I have one, and it doesn't suck.
    It's made of steel, so it's solid. It was very simple to mount. No drilling needed. It uses the bolts that hold on the rear brake light.
    99% of the mount is hidden behind the spare tire.
    Just a tiny portion of the top is visible.

The firestick mount hardware, he includes, makes putting the antenna on and off very easy.

-Dan
    Aw, Shoot! I was out of town from yesterday early AM until just now, so I have just read the bad news.

BUMMER!

Oh, well, just keep on shopping.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    jefferson - it would have been a great deal - but there are still reasonable deals out there. Hopefully you'll be able to find one soon!

I found my comfort zone for the sunrider option this weekend. This getting older isn't much fun - I don't tolerate things like I used to, so my comfort zone is smaller than I thought it would be.

We opened the sunroof Saturday in Baker - temp was about 72. Wonderful weather for driving! I really enjoyed it until we were getting into Primm, NV and burr! Thermometer said 67 and it was cold.

Then today we opened the top at a rest stop - temperature about 80. By the time we got into Baker the temp was well above 90 and too hot for my taste. So the top went back up and the A/C went on - no more problem even when the temp went (briefly) over 100.

I checked the odo against the mile markers on I-15 (thank you, Nevada) and it looked like the odo was slightly off (0.2 miles less over 10 miles). Gas mileage looks like it is going to be about 2 mpg less than my 5 speed Sport (17-19 rather than 19-20 plus). I know it is a bit soon to draw definite conclusions, but that's what it is looking like at this point. I wonder if it will get better as I put more miles on it - at what number of miles do you say that the engine is completely broken in and what you see is what you get?
    Everyone has their own opinion on it, but I feel like 10K miles oughta just about do it. Can't cite any data to justify that, just a "gut feeling."

Tom

Guess there wasn't much doubt anyway, but, if there was, it has evaporated now. The Unlimited Rubicon is shown in that brochure on pages 8 and 9, so it is definitely official: there WILL be an Unlimited Rubicon!

Tom

• Hey mtngal,

I'm really happy to hear you say that AC worked great at 100+ with the soft top on. You can keep that hot weather out there though. I'm really jealous, looking forward to having a soft top / convertible by spring.

jts
  • Yesterday I was late to work so I lead-footed to work (I am not suggesting racing to work when you are late is ok) at about 80 mph plus. The fuel light came on about 6, or so, miles form work. I continued on to work then drove about 35 plus miles home late last night. This morning I filled up the tank expecting to put 19 plus gallons of gas in it. To my surprise it only took 18 gallons. This is the first time I have pushed my luck that far. Usually I fill up before 300 miles (usually between 280 and 290), this time I put 328 miles on the tank. You know other car manufacture put a reasonability accurate fuel gage in their cars; why can’t Jeep?