Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vacation Travel Plans, Suggestions, Advice

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    The Les shop near me fixes any flat for free... even if you didn't buy it from them.

Going back through Boise tomorrow. Let's hope the tires hold up. ;)
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited August 2010
    Hey, I have Starbucks card someone gave me. Let me know if you need a caffeine fix and I'll meet you at one for a breve. :shades:
    edited August 2010
    Well, we're now back safe at home. Great trip. Two weeks and 8 western states. New tires but no caffeine stop in Boise. :) I do get a chuckle of how well the city is walled off from I-84. Someday I'll have to see what it really looks like.

I was amazed at how green everything was. Seems like there was lots of rain in the desert this year. New Mexico was particularly "unbrown". My wife is from Silver City so we spent a few days there. Then it was up to Sante Fe (big arts fair going on in the plaza last weekend). We spent several days in Colorado Springs and just didn't have enough time to do everything we wanted to do. Great area but we had some rain.

The Cog railway up Pike's Peak was spectacular, even though it ended up being pretty cloudy on top. Someday I'll take my car up... $10 per person or $40 max. I was surprised to see that it was paved near the top... I thought it was a dirt road.

We came back through Wyoming, then Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. It's nice to be back at sea level. :)
    Yeah, the interstate isn't a good introduction to Boise at all, and the walls don't help either. Nothing but strip malls and franchise joints over there. There's actually some neat old architecture downtown and a good trout stream within an easy walk of the capitol building. Could be worse I suppose - back in the 70's they tried to put the interstate right downtown and tore down a bunch of neat old buildings.

The place we stayed at near Taos had 42" of water in the cisterns when we got there. It went down two inches, and then went up to 50" the last week were there. The elevation does take some getting used to (we're at 2800' at my house, but that didn't help much when we went to 7,000 for our vacation.
    I did well with the elevation changes but sure noticed it the short time we were on Pike's Peak at 14k+. Didn't get sick but had to take a few extra breaths at times.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 57,827
    Climate change seems definitely on the rise all over the world---hitting extremes of hot and cold, wet and dry, breaking all records wherever you look.

Sometimes heavy rainfall is tricky to be optimistic about---we might get heavier rainfalls but a shorter rainy season, or heavier snowfall but for fewer months.

Bay Area is experiencing near-record cool temperatures. Don't plan on California sunshine near the coast.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    You may not be having an ideal August, but the near record cool in the beautiful Bay area sure beats the recent record heat in Russia and the record floods in Pakistan.
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,330
    Anyone with Outer Banks suggestions now is the time. We'll be in Nags Head but will be up and down during the week. We're leaving tomorrow morning but I'll be traveling with Internet for a change.

Nice route - we drive an hour down the Garden State Parkway and catch the 80 minute ride Cape May Ferry which takes us down do southern Delaware. A couple of hours or so to the bridge-tunnel and then, unfortunately, hit Virginia Beach. From there it's only a couple of hours.

Of course we're traveling with 8 year olds so time is relative.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
    We're taking off on the road again tomorrow morning to beat the Labor Day crush.

Hitting the road is so much fun, we don't plan to even return to Boise. :shades:
    Driving a moving van, are we? ;)
    Could be - the game is afoot. :)
    Perhaps New Mexico got in your blood while housesitting. :)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    I think Steve will be seeing much more snow than they do in NM. :shades:

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

Heh, we did have fresh snow on the road going over a pass outside of Taos in late June. :-
    )

Now,where would a car guy go if he tired of the high desert?
    Now,where would a car guy go if he tired of the high desert?

Is this a Where's Waldo Steve_ contest??

If there is snow, the high mountains would be next. Not sure that is where a "car guy" would go though. I suppose there is always the low desert. ;)
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    And those "record" weather conditions are based on 100 years out of a few billion years of climate? All the lakes formed by flowing glaciers in my area, tell me the summers were a lot cooler here not too long ago. :P

I just got back from Hawaii. If you want perfect weather day after day, go there. I went snorkeling in Hanauma Bay which used to be a volcanic crater, which was flooded when the sea-level rose. Some day that will be gone, and humans will be snorkeling where the active volcanoes now are.

Anyway, learn to enjoy what you have, as the people, geology, and climate all change; some more slowly and some quicker. Enjoy the Present, and stop lamenting this isn't the Past, or that things will change in the Future.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    enjoy what you have

We learned that only too well when Mt. St. Helens blew and destroyed 500 Summer/weekend cabins, several resorts, & Spirit Lake recreation area.
    edited August 2010
    are you saying we are all little gnats in a vast universe and a mere blink of an eye in geological time, and that cockroaches are way older than us anyway?

you're probably right.....I need a beer..... :(

All the more reason to take more vacations! :surprise:

• kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    Speaking of which (beer) ... while in Waikiki I tried some Kona Red Rock. If you like Sam Adams, this stuff is better. Probably the best I've had. Check it out, they have distributors in many states.

I hope there's not too many people who have reeservations this weekend along the East Coast. The unpredictable weather there makes my sure-bet-weather trip to Hawaii worth it.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    Re: Kona Red Rock. I'll have to ask my beer connoisseur husband if he's tried that. He's fond of micro-brews from all over the states. Ever heard of Hopping Frog? He loves that, but it's a bit thick for my taste.

I suppose the Gulf should be relieved that Earl isn't heading its way. They don't need another disaster. Unfortunately, hurricane season isn't done yet. :surprise:

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    I was going to recommend that you beer connoisseurs attend this, but I discovered that it's sold out already.

Nothing like having 2200 different beers to sample.
    Too bad I don't like beer. Just got back from a walk along the beach listening to the waves crash. Good atmosphere for a cold one.

Guess I'll settle for a gin & tonic in a bit. :shades:
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,330
    Waves crashing in Idaho? The oceans ARE rising....

Speaking of rising oceans, I'm five miles inland. Close enough for an entertaining storm but far enough away for real damage.

Last week at this time I was on the Outer Banks. What a difference a week makes....
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
    edited September 2010
    Actually we recently sold our house and left Idaho, so we're on an extended vacation until we find another place to live (well, we're exploring new country but I'm working - ah, the joys of a portable job).

We did head for a place that may be less affected by global warming than Boise (droughts won't be an issue here at least).
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    If you want to avoid a state income tax, avoid Oregon. The best of both worlds could be in Vancouver, WA for you. Enjoy your looking. :)
    Parts of No. California are very nice---city of Sonoma is about as far away from the Bay Area as you want to be---nice town and it's off the traffic-packed 101 corridor. You might also like San Luis Obispo which is nearer to Santa Barbara but not so expensive. These are temperate climates, and there's work in many parts of California. I think California is the best place on earth and I have been to a *lot* of places on earth. :)

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 66,586
    This sounds like something I've heard before....

"Let me tell y'all a story about a man named Jed... "

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited September 2010
    I never have lived my life worrying about tax consequences. I think it all pretty much evens out, with the exception of NY state or California perhaps.

I really like Salem. :-)

Joe, we checked out San Luis Obispo and the Tri-Tip area on our last California trip. SLO is a bit pricey and all the 4 lanes discouraged us. It was hard to get anywhere around town without popping onto a freeway. I love California but my wife is from San Diego with stints in Santa Cruz and the Bay Area, and she keeps wanting to try different spots. So ... we're sure in a different spot currently. ;)
    Did you ever look at Sonoma closely? Nice little town, very friendly, without the California weirdness. Has a very small town feel. Warm summers, mild winters, and quite unlike the other CA cities you mentioned.

Colorado is quite interesting---maybe you're a Glenwood Springs kinda guy? Nowhere near as pricey as nearby Snowmass/Aspen, but not as desolate and ugly as Grand Junction. And you have Moab, etc within driving distance, and maybe 3.5 hours to Denver. Or perhaps Carbondale, further up the valley towards Snowmass. I'm not a big fan of the more isolated western slope communities, and the Front Range cities like Boulder--well, they are just too too precious, or if not precious Boulder, than too suburban (like Lafayette and Denver suburbs). Actually I like this little town 12 miles outside of Boulder called Niwot.

New Mexico--well, you know that, and Nevada is best suited as an atomic test site.

Yeah, CO holds a lot of interest and even some of the Denver burbs have caught our eye. And I've always liked SW Colorado too (amazing how many people living there have never heard of or been to Marble).

We're trying a small town right now and that's going to be different for us.This stop is just going to be a way station before the next one.