Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a small/crossover SUV? A reporter would like to talk to you about why you chose one over a smaller car or larger SUV.; please reach out to [email protected] today for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda 3 Transmission Problems

1111213141517»

Comments

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 11,969

@bsaa said:
    I'd bought a mazda3 2010 sedan maxx sport.it been 2 month now starts making kind of sound when I'm shifting gear from 2 to 3.i felt like transmission hitting on engine.

Check the rear motor mount first; if that isn't it check the other two mounts.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

My 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 just rolled over 136,000 miles. I''m running a Mazdaspeed cold air intake as well as a Hypertech tune, so the motor is cranking out @300 hp and 320 ft-lbs of torque. I'm still on the original clutch. No transmission issues either, but note that I use Motorcraft XT-M5-QS Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid and change it every 30,000 miles.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,657

@bsaa said:
    I'd bought a mazda3 2010 sedan maxx sport.it been 2 month now starts making kind of sound when I'm shifting gear from 2 to 3.i felt like transmission hitting on engine.

Manual or auto transmission? And sometimes car sounds are hard to pinpoint. Could it be some kind of suspension noise?

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

• whitepipe10whitepipe10 Azusa CaliforniaPosts: 1
    I have a 2013 skyactiv 3 with 35,000 miles and the only problem I've had was a squeaking from the right rear sub frame that was fixed under warranty, I DRIVE THIS CAR VERY VERY HARD using the manual mode in the automatic shifter all the time , even making jack rabbit start 90% of the time I still average 25 mpg s , I love this car and am very glad I didn't purchase the 14 model as I keep reading that they corolla-fied the new model, I drive on avg 250 miles a day , if anyone has questions for me just ask as I probably have more miles than any 13 model of anybody on here
  • Im looking to purchase an older model mazda 3. Its a 2004 mazda 3. engine sounds smooth and the car is a nice color. few minor things need to be taken care of. the back bumper needs replacing, as well as the passenger side mirror. The fog light would also need to be replaced. I drove it in automatic mode and when it got to 4th gear it seemed as if it was holding back or something wasn't changing. My mechanic advised mazdas usually have transmission problems. Anything you guys can recommend? its an 04 with 182k miles. the seller was asking $2500. Brought them down to about $2100. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,681
    edited August 2014

"My mechanic advised mazdas usually have transmission problems. Anything you guys can recommend? its an 04 with 182k miles. the seller was asking $2500. Brought them down to about $2100. Is there anything else I should be looking for?"

Well, I'd say any automatic transmission with 182k miles is suspect. With that kind of miles, I'd want a rebuilt transmission, or expect to have to rebuild it, which costs more than the car is worth. 182k with a manual transmission is normally not a problem.

• lil_redlil_red MinnesotaPosts: 1
    I am the first owner of a 2013 Mazda3 skyactiv hatchback, with 6600 miles. Yesterday, after 30 mins on the interstate, I took an exit and within a few blocks I had no transmission. No warning lights, nothing unusual... just thought it slipped into neutral. Was able to coast to a side street, but could never get it back into "drive". Towed it to the dealership and was told there is a "broken part in the transmission". It will be fixed tomorrow, so no worries. I'll learn more tomorrow about what exactly needed fixing. But, I was surprised to see on this forum the number of issues with the transmissions.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,657
    A broken part, fixed tomorrow seems like a "sometimes things break" sort of thing rather than some kind of systemic problem. So that sounds like it will be a good outcome for you. keep us posted on what happened. I'll be curious to see what your issue was.
    I know that it can seem like everything is negative about transmissions when reading forums like this, but then again, not many folks are going to come to a forum to post "my transmission is going along just fine".

lil_red said:

I am the first owner of a 2013 Mazda3 skyactiv hatchback, with 6600 miles. Yesterday, after 30 mins on the interstate, I took an exit and within a few blocks I had no transmission. No warning lights, nothing unusual... just thought it slipped into neutral. Was able to coast to a side street, but could never get it back into "drive". Towed it to the dealership and was told there is a "broken part in the transmission". It will be fixed tomorrow, so no worries. I'll learn more tomorrow about what exactly needed fixing. But, I was surprised to see on this forum the number of issues with the transmissions.

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

My 2007 MS3 had a few teething issues under warranty, and I'll admit that they irritated me quite a bit at the time. However, since 60k miles the car has been a paragon of reliability- even though I have tweaked the engine and suspension a bit. I'm currently at 145k miles and I can honestly say I can't think of anything I'd want to replace it with short of a Boss 302, Cayman S, M235i, or Z4 M Coupe...

• I have a 2007 mazes 3 manual transmission. I've had my clutch replaced twice in the last year but the last time was the mechanics fault I think, or warranty because they didn't charge me. Now maybe 6 Months or less later it pops out of third and into neutral when I shift to third. Transmission problem? Easier solution? orrr off chance the mechanic will fix for free again lol
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a Mazda3 (2014, 2015 or 2016,) a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 22, 2015, for use in a print publication. Click here for the survey http://bit.ly/1M6rOvA
  • JondaJonda 93422Posts: 1
    I bought my automatic 2006 Mazda 3 2.3L about 7 months ago with only 82k on it. It's in good condition, have had to replace the transaxle and that was the biggest repair so far. Previous owner bought it new in 2005 and was a careful driver with it. Now, 7 months and 8k miles in, it randomly switches gears. I'll be going 45 mph and it will switch from 5th gear to 4th and then 3rd. Sometimes it refuses to go up to 5th gear altogether. I put it in manual and it switches gears perfectly fine. And this all began to happen today. Hadn't had a problem like this before.

However, ever since I bought it, when the car is coasting, the rpm will rev down below 1000 and stay there until I press the gas pedal. Not sure if that's related or not to my gear issue. Is my transmission shot? Any advice?
  • khattiekhattie Posts: 1
    2008 Mazda 3 87,000 miles, I drive in automatic mode, never switch to manual. Having the same issues as above, I'm driving along, and the gears will switch for 5th to 4th to 3rd, and then come back up, causes a hard jerking. Second time at the mechanic, they cannot figure out what is wrong, the engine light is coming on and sometimes it goes off. Could this be the transmission going out? Maybe a faulty switch?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,234
    So you mean the car downshifts by itself?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here