Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Grand Vitara vs Subaru Forester vs Hyundai Santa Fe vs Jeep Liberty vs Ford Escape vs Saturn

Comments

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,229
    I had a 2002 Escape and a 2005 Escape. For 2005 the 4WD system was "upgraded" to a fully automated electronic system. The original system for MY01-MY04 had a mechanical "Auto" mode and a 50/50 "Lock" mode, both of which were selectable via a knob on the center stack. The latter esentially locked the axles and sent 50% of the power to the front and 50% to the rear. You were not advised to use that option on dry pavement or at speeds above 65 IIRC.

Personally I liked the old one better but the newer electronic system did work very well too.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Thanks, I had always assumed that the Escape had an automatic system.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I think it's both, i.e. automatic engagement when there is slip, plus the ability to manually turn on 4WD on slippery surfaces only.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,229
    I think it's both, i.e. automatic engagement when there is slip, plus the ability to manually turn on 4WD on slippery surfaces only.

It only had both from 2001-2004. It is now fully automatic and fully electronic. Very much like the Haldex system but this one was developed by Ford IIRC. Like the Fusion, Taurus, and whatever other vehicles use it, it is said to be able to detect when wheel spin might occur and compensate for it by sending power where it is needed making the whole process invisible and seamless. My experience with the first gen version in our '05 Escape is that it did work very much like that but you could still feel the front tires slip ever so slightly from time to time in the soft stuff. Chirping the tires was all but impossible though. I guess the sensors which predict when wheel spin is imminent are programmed to work better on dry pavement.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,124
    Well, I used to be in this room quite often when I owned my 2001Ford Escape XLT V6. Wife liked this vehicle so much in 2004 we bought a Mazda Tribute V6 loaded too! I used to go round and round with the Honda CRV owners and Toyota owners about how they would tell me my Ford Escape was going to break down anyday. After using the Escape as a real SUV, towing my two water craft, visiting my favorite fishing spots in the Cascade range and 70,000 miles the Escape ran like a champ! No my wifes Tribute has hit just over 50,000 miles with no problems! These are very reliable vehicles by Ford/Mazda. In the next 2 years wife and I are talking about a Hybrid Escape or Tribute. ;)
    I used to go round and round with the Honda CRV owners and Toyota owners about how they would tell me my Ford Escape was going to break down anyday.

C'mon scape, you were the only one who constantly repeated that, not the other posters. I'm glad you had good short-term service out of your Escape; I've been urging my folks to check out the new Ford Taurus (they want a comfortable highway cruiser to supplant their economical Civic), so I'm not anti-Ford!
    Good luck finding one, Escape hybrids are in very high demand right now. NYC uses them as cabs.
  • done37done37 Posts: 64
    Even in my little Podunck town here in Eastern Washington they are using them for municipality vehicles. The two Ford dealers here are grinning from ear to ear.
    I think a Caliber or Focus would be less costly. Maybe they want to appear more green.
  • done37done37 Posts: 64
    Thats true. For the most part they are meter readers, code enforcement, Etc.... I imagine they might need 4wd in some instances with surveying.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I seriously doubt that you're going to find an AWD Escape Hybrid in a municpal or taxi fleet. In fact I'd be surprised if total production of the AWD version reached 10%.

-Frank
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,124
    There is a name I recognize! Sure we did! You don't remember all those jabs from the Toyota/Honda crowd? I wouldn't call over 70,000 miles "short term" by the way. I used that Escape like an SUV if you remember. I feel pretty confindent to say it worked harder than many of the CRV/RAV4's out there. Now with the wifes Tribute V6 hitting about the 50,000 mile mark with again some great reliability, comfort and good service... ;)
    There is a name I recognize! Sure we did! You don't remember all those jabs from the Toyota/Honda crowd? I wouldn't call over 70,000 miles "short term" by the way.

Haha, when you put over 25,000 miles a year on a car, I do! ;) I know that I've never said a "Ford won't last" or anything like that! Heck, I've been trying to put my folks in a Taurus. Dad can't get past the chromey grill though. Oh well - it's a great value vehicle; maybe he'll like a Sable!
  • smudgejetsmudgejet Posts: 11
    My Escape (2005) is already toast....Decelerated from 65 to zero in about 8 feet. The Escape did a great job of protecting me. Now air bags are high on my list of new car features.

I see the new Escape has side air bags. Tempting. :sick:
    Oh no! I hope you (or anyone) were not hurt!

The good thing is that there are lots of tempting options to choose from in this market, some are not included in this forum, however. The Subaru Forester is a Top Pick for safety, I think, something that you'd find worthwhile I believe. :)
  • smudgejetsmudgejet Posts: 11
    I have some sore ribs and a few cuts/scrapes. No broken bones.

The other driver was able to run away, though eventually caught. The police report is not yet available.

I have seen the Forester and I like it. It has virtually the same ground clearance as the Escape, slightly better MPG (4-cylinder AWD), better towing capacity, more horsepower and I can get it a 5-speed manual. I took a test drive, and found the interior to be acceptable and good visibility. I cannot afford a top of the line vehicle (Escape Hybrid or Turbo Forester) so I am looking at the "value" end of the lines.
    Many people who have driven a 4-cyl Escape find it anemic when compared to the 4-cyl competition. And, there's nothing wrong with buying from the lower trim levels. You get the same basic vehicle as people that sometimes pay 50% more! :)
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    The 09 Escape seems to have addressed the lack of power in previous versions and fuel economy should improve slightly as well.
    Yep - for now, since they are needing a replacement immediately I presume because of the car accident, the 09 Escape is moot. If it isn't here, it's hard to choose it for purchase! :P
  • jeepboy08jeepboy08 Posts: 49
    Well, I honestly don;t know if this is the right forum to be asking this question, but I will anyway.

I am looking for a new exhaust on my libert (3.7L V6), but I am torn between the 40 series flowmaster, and the 60 series flowmaster. If you guys could help with answering which exhaust system would work better in the long run, that'd be great. :]
    Good news for Suzuki, which outside of the SX4, seems to be fading fast here in America.
  • lostlost Posts: 64
    Check auto Trader for new 09 Escapes, most dealers have one or two, some have 5 0r 6 including hybrids.
    The engine should be a nice upgrade. I test drove the old V6 and it was neither quick nor smooth.

Escape now gets the 2.3l, right? Is it the PZEV 2.3l that used to go in the Focus?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,859
    '09 escape has 2.5 I-4 and 3.0 V-6, plus 6 speed autos, now.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
    2.5l, cool, I stand corrected.

I just got back from Brazil, and there they sell a Ford EcoSport, a tiny little crossover based on the Fiesta. It looks like an Escape that was left in the dryer too long and shrunk! :D

Found a pic:

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,859
    i can't tell the scale, but from the windshiled back, it sure looks like an escape!
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
    They're pretty tiny, think Suzuki SX4 sized, only taller.

It's like...

Honey, I Shrunk the Escape!

:D
  • in need of a truck. gmc has good deals on their pricing. but still have loan on vue.?lossing $ for trade in.. 1st x new owner... what to do ? or just get a used cheap work truck ?
    What is the loan balance and the residual value? Ask in the Real-world trade-in values thread to find out what you could get for your Vue.

If you are upside down, I would wait, if possible.

Consider keeping the Vue and getting a beater truck, used. Values have plunged with the high gas prices.