Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tahoe

Comments

• I have a 2001 Yukon with 40K miles and the factory Firestone Wilderness LE's are shot. Am considering the Bridgestone Dueler H/L and Michelin Cross Terrain. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,242
    Before I start prying, does the insert on the console of a Yuhoe where the power outlets are snap out, or are there screws from the back side? On our '04 there are two pockets, one above the other, and the two outlets. I am looking to mount the brake controller in one of the pockets.

Thanks,

Jim
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I replaced original 265 70 16 Firestone Wilderness LE tires about 3,000 miles ago. At 26,000 the LE'S had alot of tread left - but they were crap on wet roads.

I went with Michelin LTX M/S - but went up one size to 275 70 16. This size LTX M/S is a little different from the other sizes. It has 6 rows of tread VS 5 rows on the 265 70 16.

The handling, traction and ride are 100% better.
  • fortopfortop Posts: 239
    My recent trip to Phoenix with my 5.3 and 3.42 rear was 22 mpg, with about 1 hour of city driving - but all flat land, and driving like your grandmother. No break in period on that new SUV - staying under 55? Just trade it in if the engine starts making weird noises. :)
  • lobsenzalobsenza Posts: 619
    We have Cross Terrains on our Denali and are very happy with them.....
  • The increase from a P265 to P275 increases tire width? No effect on transmission vs. tire rotation?
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    Yeah, the Firestone Wilderness LE WOL tires appear to be decent tires in terms of wear but are a bit lacking in just about everything else.

OTOH--my '04 Denali wears Goodyear Wrangler HP B/W tires and so far I have no complaints about them...
  • I'm installing a Valentine One radar detector in my '02 Tahoe. The detector kit comes with a little connector to attach to a wire to draw it's power. Problem is that I don't happen to know which of the wires going into the fuse box is switched, i.e. not hot when the car is turned off.

Is there anybody out there who has this little snippet of information and will share it with me?

Thanks!
  • cmr239cmr239 Posts: 12
    Saw the hybrid system for full size trucks at the Detroit Auto Show. The demo was a x-cab, cut lengthwise. The electric motor looked to be between the gas motor and tranny. Row of batteries under the rear seat. The lady doing the demo said the truck would be for sale this year and would have a couple of outlets (110 volt) in the bed and had a trouble light plugged in for show. She didn't mention full size utes, but they couldn't be too far behind.
  • stakeoutstakeout Posts: 173
    doesn't that Valentine One come with a 12 volt cigarette type lighter plug in like most other Radar Detectors.. why bother hooking it up direct...
  • weis27weis27 Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2001 LS and i'm barely getting any bass out of the subwoofer in the back. I've turned the bass up all the way on the equilizer on the factory head unit (the bass knob) and i'm curious to see if anyone knows what might be wrong and how i might be able to get more power into that sub? Thanks a lot.

Matt
    Is your 2001 a Sport model? Sport models in 2001 did not have subwoofers. Open the trunk and look to see if you have a box hanging below the rear deck. If you do, you have subs, otherwise you don't.
    To be honest I have no idea if its a sports edition or not, it does have a lot of the LT features, upgraded suspension and running boards. As for the subwoofer, i'm not sure what the box that i'm looking for looks like, however there is what looks to me a 10 inch sub in the very back on the left. There is just barely any bass coming out of it. Thanks again
  • bkkatzbkkatz Posts: 18
    I have my Valentine (and XM) hooked up to one of the fuses for the R.A.P. (Retained Accessory Power). If you run the "telephone cable" power wire above the headliner and down the drivers side, you can find a bolt next to the fuse block (for the ground).

You can also tap into the radio fuse, but for some reason the radio fuse (in my '02) is not part of the R A P circuit. Every time I turned the key off, the XM went off before the radio, resulting in a large burst of static.
    The subwoofer moved to the console on the newer models (03, I think).

You must use the amp trigger wire to get the retained accessory power to stay on for the XM tuner.
  • jonnyb1jonnyb1 Posts: 32
    1. I got the Yokohama HT/S to replace the crap Firestone LE's and have been very happy.

2. There are lots of posts regarding the subwoofer, do a search. Basically the Tahoe has a detuned amp that doesn't send enough power back to the sub. There is a rewiring fix for it, but I haven't tried it yet. It is an 8 inch sub. I bought a Kicker replacement for it and am gonna have the factory amp removed and have a entry level Alpine single CD head put in and a cheap amp and crossover put in. There are also some Infinit speakers that fix perfectly in the doors. Try Crutchfield.
  • berobberob Posts: 35
    Forgive me as I'm sure this has been covered before and it is obviously in the Owners Manual for my new '04 Yukon, but what kind of oil - synthetic vs. traditional, weight, brand, etc - and what kind of filter do folks recommend for these vehicles? Also, who have you found to have the best prices on whatever kind of oil change you get? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
  • Given that they just changed the front end of GMC Sierra trucks (freshened it up a bit, which looks pretty good), does anyone know if they plan to "freshen-up" the Yukon/Denali trucks, which are looking a little tired now sitting on the lot next to the Sierras?? I keep hearing about the 2005's - that they are planning a change - when will we know for sure? -(ie. how soon before the new models come out do we find out?). I'd hate to wait until the fall, only to find out that they're not changing them until '06!! Did the recent auto shows shed any light? If they're not changing until '06, then I'd probably buy one now, and then another one in two years. Anyone's insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • bkkatzbkkatz Posts: 18
    I am using Mobil 1 5W30 in my '02 LT. The original reason I switched was for fuel economy and to comfortably lengthen my oil change interval. With the Mobil 1 and K&N air filter, I am getting 16 - 16.5 mpg in Atlanta city traffic and on oxygenated fuel. On the road I typically see 18 - 18.5 but its been as high as 20.

As for filters, I typically use either a Fram or AC filter.

BTW - The oil life monitor came on at 3200 miles and I had it changed. At 6000 I switched to the Mobil 1 and it hasn't come on since, but I still change it anyway. Better safe than sorry.
    Thanks for the feedback. I did some research and didn't find anything about the rewiring.

On that note: Does anyone know how to rewire the subwoofer to get more power into it?

If I find out information i'll be more than happy to post it. Thanks!