Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    When I was shoping for my 01 LE I don't recall seeing any SE manuals on the lots. If I didn't have a boat to tow, I probably would have tried to find a 5sp SE.
  • Options
    isguyisguy Member Posts: 13
    Glad to hear that "finder" hasn't been nixed for some reason - especially since I just ordered a "finder" vanity plate for my 2002 LE!

Thanks for your feedback.
  • Options
    lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    When I decided to buy a PF last winter, I test drove a manual and an auto. I decided the manual would be nice to have for a while. Well my local dealer didn't have the color options I wanted so I asked them to search for one. They found 3 manuals in black/black with a moonroof. THe only problem was that they wanted to charge me $250 to do a dealer trade. I got on the phone and found the truck about 60 miles away and went to the dealer myself and bought it. I enjoy the manual and after a year, I hardly notice that it's a stick anymore. My wife has a manual jetta turbo also. It feels really odd to drive an automatic now.
  • Options
    menswearmenswear Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone experience a very sensitive throttle pedal? I have an 01 Pathfinder SE (Auto). I find that if I just tap my accelerator pedal, the car surges. Anything I can do about this?

The brake pedal is also very mushy. There is a lot of pedal travel before the brakes actually work. My car has only 8000 miles on it, so it can't be brake pad wear. I just want to make sure this is normal or if it's a defect with my car.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    We have an '01 with a manual. When we were shopping around we were stuck between instant '01, or wait a few months for the '02. The salesman said that if we wanted the manual it would be longer than that because they usually build automatic heavy when the new production starts because it is more popular.
  • Options
    omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    On several occasions i have had troubles starting my PF when i leave it parked in the rain for a few hours. Does anyone have the same problem? Does anyone know what the problem could be?

thanks!

Hello mesnwear,

The accelerator on my 01 auto SE PF is also quite sensitive, but i've gotten use to it. I don't have any issues with the brake though. I've found the pedal feel of the brake to be excellent.
  • Options
    I have a 2002 LE and also notice sensitive accel pedal. This must be a finder thing, but I have no problems with it. I know what you mean about the brakes, I also think this must be a finder thing since they work fine anyway.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is this common with Pathfinders? I just had the problem with a regular passenger vechicle. The problem turned out to be air in the brake lines which I got fixed. The difference is astounding!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I had this problem and my dealership bled the brakes, which made a significant difference.
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Our rear brakes squeal really bad. More than normal I should say.

Dano
  • Options
    meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    The brakes should be blead and they might have to
    be "burned in" to make them work proper. Also
    the rear brake shoes must be adjusted. They work
    alot better after about 10k.
  • Options
    smibradsmibrad Member Posts: 34
    I have a 01 PF with 26,000 miles. My brakes squeal a lot also. At first I thought the brake pads must be worn down. So I took it into the dealer to have them checked. I still have 80% of my pads left. They tried to tell me the squealing was because of rust on the rotors from sitting. But they sometimes squeal after driving it all day. So it must be the pads or something.
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    I love my manual trans SE. You're right though, they are rare. You should consider going to Toronto to get one (I did). Manuals seem to be much easier to get in Canada. And of course if you've been following this topic at all, you know that you'll save a bunde. With the current exchange rate figure that a 5spd SE 4x4 with Popular and Sunroof packages will end up costing about $23,700! That's $3600 under US dealer invoice.

As usual, I'm glad to help out anyone with the info on how to buy in Canada. We're up to 60 successes now. Just drop me a line.

-Jon
  • Options
    So did check the rear brakes too? I haven't had them checked because some squealing is normal on some vehicles but this is a bit much. Did they do anything to try and correct your squeal?

Thanks,
    Dano
  • Options
    cagy11cagy11 Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery on a '02 PF 4x4 SE, auto, leather, ltd slip diff, sunroof & popular pkgs. Dealer went for invoice plus took my 92 Exp in trade for near what I wanted. We also have a '00 and a '01 PF SE 4x4s in the family. Sensitive accelerators and "squishy" brakes on all three. No other problems on the '00 (Alaska) or '01 (Illinois)

My 02 SE has the new roof rack with the XTierra look...the rack has a front air dam (you can't call it a deflector!) and there's a 1/2 inch gap between the bottom of the air dam and the roof...the wind noise w/ the sunroof open is considerably higher than the '00 with no air deflector or the '01 with the Nissan installed air deflector.

Anybody having this problem with the '02 SEs? The dealer's parts manager is sending a query thru Nissan channels. If other '02 PF SE owners have a similar situation, we might try and make some group noise to our dealers and see what happens. Only the '02 SE has this rack with the air dam in the front...the LE's are like last year and most have the air deflectors installed.

Ed
  • Options
    woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I have recently noticed a brake squeal, and will be taking my vehicle for servicing in a few weeks, so will post the results.

I did notice a low brake pedal, and mentioned it to the dealer, who compared it with other new Pathfinders on his lot, and concluded they all had low pedals, so must be normal!
  • Options
    pathy57pathy57 Member Posts: 25
    Just getting ready to turn 30,000 miles on my 2001 and it has been a real pleasure. As I have said in my previous posts my only regret is I didn't buy it sooner. If the rest of the PATHYS are as good as this one you folks are in for a real treat. Happy and Proud of my PATHY!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There's a wonderful woman named Cathy,
    Who suddenly found herself wealthy,
        With the luck of the draw
        And a hot powerball,
    We spotted her driving a Pathy!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    I have owned 90 and 96 SR5 Toyotas. Both great vehicles. Was going to buy 02 4 Runner limited but dealers only offered 14K to 16K trade in. I got 15K trade in on my 90 for the 96. So much for great resale. Bought 02 LE Pathfinder instead and got 17,500 trade in. Can't believe the difference between 4 Runner and Pathfinder. Since 1999 I have been towing a fully enclosed 6 x 10 motorcycle trailer from Pa to Fl. When loaded probably over 2000#. Toyota moaned the whole trip and constantly shifted. Got 02 Pathfinder in November and after break in hooked up same rig and headed to Fl. What a difference. Pulled trailer like a V-8. No moaning and when it did shift out of O.D. could hardly feel it. If someone was on your tail while passing I just stepped on it and was up to 85 mph like nothing. Pathfinder was also better ride and less sag in rear end (300# tongue weight). Just hope quality is as good as 4 Runner. 3500 miles so far and no shimmy talked about in forum. Also with out trailer much more refined vehicle for 5 grand less. I also own MB S Class and think they are over priced because of their name.
  • Options
    nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    Can these two tail lamp be retrofit each other?
    Pathfinder is $110-140/each
    QX4 is $60/each..
    Why is that? I thought Infiniti one should be more expensive that other.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I tow my 3200lb boat with my 01 LE. I agree with you on towing performance. It is outstanding. Even with the boat in tow I have to set the cruise or I'll end up doing 80. The torque at low rpm is really amazing considering a multivalve 6 cylinder. Generally boat trailers have very low tonque weights, usually no more than 5-8% of total weight. Mine is some where around 180lbs so it really is a non issue. Before the Pathfinder I was towing with a 96 Merc. Villager which had a weak Nissan 3.0 v6. I get about the same mileage (13) towing with the Pathy and have awd + 90hp and more importantly 85ft/lbs of torque.

I also considered an 01 4runner, but wasn't impressed with the 3.4 v6. Power seemed merely adequate without towing. After test driving a pathy the 4runner was no longer a consideration.

enjoy
  • Options
    meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    No! The low brake pedal is not normal. The dealer needs to bleed and adjust the brakes. I have had to adjust the brakes 3 times over the last year to prevent the pedal heading for the floor. After about 10k the brakes are almost exceptable.
  • Options
    Should I purchase an extra key for the ignition, I am advised that the programming must be done by the dealer. Is this so? I do not have access to a service manual (not available in Canada), and don't really want to drive 500 miles round trip for this. Any do it yourself instructions?

Thanks
  • Options
    austin_paustin_p Member Posts: 27
    I am in the market for an SUV and after much research I have decided on the 02 PF LE. Can anyone advise me for/against this vehicle? I really think it is the best bang for the buck. I found the one I want 02 LE, silver, tow pkg, lmtd slip, micro filter. It has been driven by the dealership owner and has 1,300 miles on it. They will let it go for right at invoice. What do you all think?

Also, can anyone share any experiences with purchasing in Canada, process, hints details, etc.... I would be financing it here in the US., is this a problem? I live in Seattle so the drive to Richmond/Vancouver is no big deal.

TIA,

email me ofline if you like, just take of the "no_spam_". no_spam_bryanw@speakeasy.net
  • Options
    Hi, I am looking for process, hints details, etc.... on buying a PF in Canada and bringing it to the US(Seattle).

TIA,

If you wish to email me offline, just take of the "no_spam_". no_spam_bryanw@speakeasy.net
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The Pathfinder is a very good truck, especially '01 and up, and offers a lot of features for its price. I would recommend it highly over many other vehicles in its class, and I'm sure most everyone here will tell you the same.

However, I wouldn't pay dealer invoice for a used vehicle. 1300 miles isn't much, but as far as the DMV is concerned, it's used, and its value has already gone down.

Put it this way: You can generally pick up a NEW vehicle (usually with less than 50 miles on it) for $300-$500 over invoice, and with dealer incentives, many times you can get a new vehicle BELOW invoice.

You also don't know how the vehicle was driven and broken in during the first 500 miles, which has a significant impact on engine life.

Just something to consider...
  • Options
    the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    I am also from the Seattle area. I've been a PF owner since June. Love the PF! Great power, well equipped with options and a great price. I never bothered the local dealers...except to do hands on test driving and examining vehicle and options. I purchased mine from Canada. No pressure, just straight talk from the CAN dealer. The process of importing was no big deal. Just do your homework ahead of time. I know of several others from Puget Sound that have purchased up there too. Jon Lofquist has the best repository of info for forms and procedures.
  • Options
    Seattle is the perfect place. A quick trip to Vancouver to save a few grand. Info has been sent.
    -Jon
  • Options
    pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I bought the manual on CD-ROM from the states via the internet - expensive but at least I have it. You can program the remote quite easily. Unless someone else answers as to method, I'll look it up tonight and post tomorrow - as I remember, you just insert and remove the key six (I think) times in a row within 10 secs. - vehicle beeps at you - it's then in program mode (you are programming the vehicle computer - the key lock module as I recall - to accept the remote. You then press the remote button and it's done. I'll get back with the correct directions tomorrow. ESM (electronic service manual) is at home.
  • Options
    km99cobrakm99cobra Member Posts: 46
    How sad. 13,000 miles and it bit the dust in a Super-K parking lot. Would not stay running at all, kept stalling and would never get over 1000 rpm when it did start. Tried for several hours off and on. Had it towed to Nissan dealer. (Some nice lady in a "beater" parked next to me felt bad and asked if I needed a ride, ouch!). Diagnosed as a faulty computer module in the theft-deterrent system located in the steering column. After they changed out the chip and reprogrammed the keys, it started up and was running rough and the Check Engine light came on.

Diagnosed problem as faulty Mass Air Flow sensor. Changed out the sensor and everything seems good again, except for the "confidence factor". Was hoping for a problem-free experience, but I guess that is relatively improbable. Nothing worse than seeing your $30,000+ hunk of steel get hauled away from a crowded K-Mart parking lot!
  • Options
    I just purchased an 02 LE with everything but ent and nav systems. I couldn't be happier, but I have only put 400 or 500 miles on it. Bought it new with 27 miles on it for $250.00 under invoice (New Hampshire).

Good luck.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Yup, that's a hard one to live down. That's the first time I've heard of a MAF going bad on the '01. Mine has been flawless for 14 months now (except for a kinda hard downshift from 3 to 2 which my service tech said was normal)

Just to make you feel better, my 2001 Honda Odyssey had 100 miles on it when it had to have the ECU replaced. After replacing it, I drove it home no problems. Next day it wouldn't start. It had to be towed out of my garage (in front of my laughing neighbors). Turns out they hadn't reprogrammed the keys to the new ECU, which allows 4 or 5 free starts for troubleshooting/diagnosis before requiring reprogramming...
  • Options
    What can I expect to pay for one in Canada. I am looking for all options but Nav and DVD.

Thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    rcpathfinderrcpathfinder Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2002 Pathfinder SE with the cloth interior. I have noticed that the back seat cloth appears to be very flimsy. I feel like just about anything will be able to rip right through them. Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
  • Options
    goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    On Nissan's web site, they don't list the XE anymore. Did they discontinue it in the US? I know they sell about 98% SE's and LE's but I'm just curious. Also, anyone know where I can find photo's of the 2002 SE with the "Xterra rack". I'm really surprised they put that on the PF. I think it differentiates the LE and SE much more then the grille did (which they changed on the SE also).
  • Options
    Here's what I've heard for for selling prices in Canada lately (converted to US dollars and including duty at the border to bring it home to the US).....
    Path LE AWD with leather, LSD $27,600
    Path SE auto AWD, popular pkg, sunroof, LSD $25,300.

Hope this helps.

-Jon
  • Options
    dinsdale1dinsdale1 Member Posts: 4
    If you want to check out Canadian pricing, go to www.nissan.ca and follow the directions. The XE model is still quite popular in Canada. They have a Chilkoot model that adds the Bose stereo, AWD, the seats from the SE, and several other options for no extra charge. The suggested retail is about 22K U.S.
  • Options
    Took the pathy in for a check on the brake squeal and trans slipping.
    As I knew they would, the service mgr said both were in spec. Although I don't agree totally both only happen intermittently. The squeal occurs only when the car has been sitting. Possibly glazed pads. The trans slip, well, it has been documented three times at the dealer and I am not worried about it. If it goes, well I'll deal with them then.
    Until then, we're going to enjoy it!

Dano
  • Options
    Thanks, I checked that out. I got a price from a dealer in BC today for about 26,700 US. I can't remember the exact Canadian ammount.

Thanks for everyone's help
  • Options
    At what dealer did you end up purchasing your PF?

email me in private if you like
    no_spam_bryanw@speakeasy.net
  • Options
    Hi Pathstar:

Thanks for your interest in looking up the key programming procedure.

Woody in snowy British Columbia (keyless start time?)
  • Options
    jeffdeepjeffdeep Member Posts: 2
    "...I got a price from a dealer in BC today for about 26,700 US. I can't remember the exact Canadian ammount."

Austin_p, this seems like a very good deal compared to what I've been finding the nearly loaded PF LEs (no DVD or Nav) here in the Seattle area. Is this too good to be true in terms of other fees and what not for buying out of the country? Unless I'm mistaken, 26,700 is a few thousand cheaper...

Can someone give the pros and cons for purchasing in Canada and bringing to the US? If it's worth the trouble, I'm seriously considering this as I'm in the market right now!!
  • Options
    pitrottpitrott Member Posts: 37
    Just got a new (leftover) 01 P-Finder LE, it has all options including navi/dvd, all for 33,450 out the door, Love it!, but can any one help me with the following ?'s 1. front window rattles(dealer sez this a P-Finder trait) does any one have this problem? 2. Seat heaters, in hi they are not to warm, (dealer sez they are tied to the cabin/outside temp) is this norm? 3. Fuel octain's mine is running fine on 87 will that hurt the engine? and last... tire pressure for the 16" bridgestones, the nissan pressure recco is 22 psi Sounds low, (dealer has 30psi/) what is the norm for a LE 4x4?
    Thanks all!
  • Options
    Buying in Canada and bringing back to the US is a continuing topic here. You save money becuase of the exchange rate. The US dollar is at all time highs against the Canadian dollar. If you are in Seattle, you are in about the best position there is. Vancouver is a great place to buy. I have not done a big post in a while, but see post #2 above for general info. Most people figure they save $3500 - $4000 on a Pathfinder.

The only real downside is that you have to go pick it up, and there is some paperwork to do for customs and Canadian tax refunds. The forms are real easy though. Initially it can look like a lot of work, but actually it's quite straightforward. Since I did this myself I know of over 60 others who have too. Drop me a note and I'll send off the info on how I did it.

For others - I'm always glad to help out. Let me know where you live (or where you might want to buy) because the sales tax rules are different in each province. Toronto and Vancouver have the best prices usually, but other places are certainly possible too.

-Jon
  • Options
    >> 2. Seat heaters, in hi they are not to warm, (dealer sez they are tied to the
    cabin/outside temp)

They are not tied to anything external. There are two heating elements in the seat. On low, one comes on. On high, they are both on. I checked the electrical diagram in the Nissan shop manual.

-Jon
  • Options
    You can easily program additional remotes. But I've not found anywhere in the shop manual where it allows programming additional keys without using the Nissan computer at the dealer.
    -Jon
  • Options
    bgritzbgritz Member Posts: 139
    Window Rattle-Dealer is full of it-our '01 SE w/almost 38k has no rattle.

Gasoline-(from post 4071)See also post 4060
    I have done tests in both our '96 Jetta GLS (2.0 litre 5-spd, drinks mid-grade), and our '01 Pathy SE (3.5 litre 5-spd, drinks premium). I ran the fuel requested by the manufacturer for 5 tanks and recorded the mpg. (30 for the Jetta and 18.5 for the Pathy). I then switched one grade lower for each auto for 5 tanks and again recorded the mpg. The Jetta fell to 28 mpg, and the Pathy fell to 16.25 mpg. With the Jetta, the car averaged about 30 miles less, per tank,(one gallon of gas), while the Pathy averaged 40.5 less per tank. (two gallons of gas)
    In the Jetta, the cheaper fuel, but fewer miles per tank about broke even in terms of cost. Because of the lower mileage, the Pathy was actually a bit MORE expensive to drive using the cheaper gas..... funny but true.
    Factoring in the reduction of performance, especially in the Colorado Mtns., plus the ADDITIONAL COST of using cheaper gas, the Pathy drinks Premium to this day, and the Jetta dines on Mid-Grade.

Tire Pressure-I ran my original Duelers @ 33 front and 31 rear, the 24 psi was way too "disconected" for me.
    btw-We have new tires now and they are 100x better than the stock Bridgestones that came on the "Pathy" on Rain Snow and Ice.
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I concur with bgritz
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I agree with BGritz. No window rattle on my 01 PF LE 22k miles. As a matter of fact I don't have even a single rattle.
    Run Premium fuel. If you plan to keep it, it is not worth the possibility of engine wear and tear.
    Bridgestone "strongly recommends" running the tires at 35psi. I have run mine at 32-34 PSI and they still have a lot of tread left. They are also wearing very evenly. I expect another 20-25k out of them.
  • Options
    the_gladiatorthe_gladiator Member Posts: 58
    Tell your dealer to fix it.

I have no rattles other than the license plate frame. However, that was my install. Looking for better alternatives to the lic plate.