Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

1891892893894895897»

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 9,476
    Urbanization can reduce car demand. But as the younger professionals have kids they may migrate back out to the suburbs reversing that. Relatively cheap airfares, combined with over saturated Interstates may lead to less desire for long distance driving down the road I suppose.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 31,126
    living in a center city where there is real public transit (NYC, Boston, Philly, Chicago), sure, no need to own a car. But I still think being able to drive, and having a license, is a basic life skill.. But, I could be biased.

Moving out to the suburbs, well, I can't imagine doing that without owning a car. Certainly not having kids.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 63,454
    There does seem to be a mass migration into larger cities, at least for younger people.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 11,839
    My son still wants a car, but he really only uses it on weekends. He can walk to work or take the train- and his employer pays for train fare.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,144
    Locally, most of the kids who went away to school have stayed away.
    Owning a car in many cities is cost prohibitive, not just to younger people.
    That being said, outside of those huge metropolis areas, kids still want to own a car or truck.
    I have 2 kids, one will only drive a CUV/SUV. The other bought a sedan as their first new car.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,927

Backy,
    An AWD Fusion is rated @28 mpg highway, so the average isn't bad considering the cold weather.
    There is no CX-7 rated anywhere near 30 MPG highway.
    As far as the hidden wipers go, that design has been around since the 70's.
    You could have just started the car, put on max defrost, let it warm up for a few minutes, and most of your ice problem would have been gone. ;)

Uh... I did that. It was a thick coat of ice. It helped loosen it on the rear window though.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,927
    I forgot to post about my experience with a 2018 Altima rental over the holidays. Drove it for 9 days from MN to/from TX, 2900 miles total. Most of the time there were 4 to 5 adults and a full trunk, but it still averaged 38.7 mpg for the trip which I was very happy with. Also was happy with gas prices--a low of $1.75 in Oklahoma City, but always under $2. This was the old Altima but it's a good highway cruiser. The "space foam" (or whatever they call it) seats were very comfortable even when driving 9-10 hours in a day.

I called Hertz a day before pickup and asked specifically for a Sonata, Optima, Altima, or Camry, as they have all of those in their fleet. They said they'd get one for me. Then I get an email that my Jeep Compass is ready! I called them and they said they thought they'd "upgrade" me. Sorry, a Compass is NOT an upgrade. I told them I rented a full-sized car for a reason (actually multiple reasons). They said they'd see what they could do. Fortunately the Altima had just come in and had been serviced when I got there.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 13,144
    @backy,
    If you look at any of the other popular midsize sedans, the front wipers are buried even more than the Fusion.
    I was very happy the my stop/start worked today.
    It hadn't activated in a couple of months, but I took an 80 mile or so round trip yesterday and it stopped the engine at most stops today.
    Usually it doesn't activate in cooler weather until I drive the car 3 days in a row, average about 30 miles a day.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited