Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Honda Civic

Comments

• xraydevilxraydevil Posts: 1
    Anyone have any idea why the EX-L Manuals are so difficult to find?
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Most potential buyers want automatics these days in a top line leather appointed vehicle (even a Civic) which I suspect is the main reason. Honda supplies what most people want and that is an automatic. Or those few who do prefer a manual are snapping up the one or two a dealer may receive every few shipments. Make no mistake the dealer has major input on the model mix he/she receives from the manufacturer so they won't order manuals only to probably sit (set?) around unsold.
  • 3kidsinback3kidsinback Posts: 53
    Hello,

Anyone use the back seat often? Am thinking of buying a Civic, but have 3 kids. Usually have one or two at a time, sometimes all 3. I will check it out myself soon, but was wondering what experiences any of you may have had with lugging 3 people in the back of your sedan.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Two people if 6 feet tall or less is perfectly fine in the back of the Civic, and even I (6'5") can sit in the back behind my 5'5" mom. With three kids, if one is old enough, they can ride in the front. The passenger airbag won't hurt them because it will cut off if they are underweight. If you have a family of 5 though, you might consider something like a Mazda 5 or a Kia Rondo. These are inexpensive 3-row vehicles that serve as mini-minivans, and can be had for the same money as a Civic.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,909
    "Try before you buy." I find I am cramped sitting behind myself in the Civic and I'm 5'10". Also different inseams and foot sizes matter.
    Well, perhaps mom is generous with the room she gives me. I have a 35 inseam, but a relatively short torso. I have a moonroof in my Accord and can move the power seat nearly to the top of the travel before my hair brushes the ceiling.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Just got back from the dealership and sat in a new Civic EX-L. Great leather in my opinion, but I've never owned a leather lined car before. Felt very soft & buttery and quite comfortable to say the least. They added all that dealer add on junk so the price on the window was over $22k...crazy money for a Civic.
    They did replace my battery, as they said it was low charging or something like that. Have just had the car for 23 months and thought the battery would've lasted a bit lomger. What does "low charging" really mean?
    Did get to sit in my dream car...a Acura TSX...very cool car. Even with almost 78k on the clock, the leather was cleanish and the interior appointments were top notch for an '04 model.
    They also had a nice '06 RSX in the Galaxy Gray color with excellent seats...my spine didn't hurt a bit. Very clean for an '06 model.

The Sandman :)
  • mtwebstermtwebster Posts: 7
    I bought an 08 Civic Coupe EX about a month ago, and I've had only one issue tarnish this nice car - the spoiler (stock for the EX) is loose at either end.

I took it in to the dealer, and they first re-attached it (I guess the thing is really only anchored in the middle, with some sort of tabs at either end), it was still loose - I pointed it out to the service manager, and then we walked over to another new civic, same model, sitting on the lot, and it was also loose.

So, he ordered a new spoiler. Same problem - I haven't gone back yet, but before I left the lot on that occasion, I went over about 6 civic EX's on the lot, and the spoiler ranged from completely firm, tight, to significantly looser than mine.

I'm not too concerned with the thing falling off, but I do worry that the problem will get worse with age, and with the closing of my trunk it rattles a bit. Mainly I am a bit frustrated that this is a new car, and it's a Honda, and I shouldn't have this.

We're talking about an easy 3/16" inch of play on either end of the spoiler, I can easily push it. Should I live with it, or keep taking it back until they get it right? I don't think this is a flaw in the manufacture of my particular car - I think it's more of a design flaw. I'm not sure how much effort they'll put into this without some direction from the manufacturer. We have a 'lemon law' in ohio - would this apply in any way?

just fyi, best mileage on a tank so far is 35 mpg with about 80% highway, has about 2500 miles on it, manual shift.
  • 4677hola4677hola Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if an air deflector is available in the marketplace for a 2008 Civic LX Sedan?

Honda does not offer them. I have been able to locate a deflector for a 2008 Civic Si
    but not the 2008 LX Sedan.

Thanks,

Marco
  • jet10000jet10000 Posts: 656
    Here's a deflector which says that it fits all current Civic sedans. It's a Honda product, just not sold by Honda in the U.S. so this dealer imported them.

(Scroll down the page a bit)

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_civic_4dr_accessories/06_08_civic_exterio- - - r.htm
  • 4677hola4677hola Posts: 2
    Thanks. Appreciate the help.

The Dealer I talked to (Arrowhead Honda) could not provide any information.
  • What is an air deflector and is this something I'll want if I buy a 2008 LX civic?

Thanks! (I'll try to review previous posts to see if this has been covered)

I'm seriously considering purchasing an '08 this weekend, so if there are any other anticipated problems I might want to know about please advise and enlighten me!

Thanks for any support you all can offer...
  • Got a new 08 sedan automatic in June. I have an issue with my transmission when shifting gears while on parking mode. When I put it on reverse, back-up out of my driveway and put it on drive to get going forward, I hear a loud clunk noise that don't sound right. Once I get going, the shifting is nice and smooth. :confuse: Another thing is my horn. I am embarassed to honk cause it sounds like a sheep getting it on with a donkey. Anyone else experience these probems?
  • The LX is available in Canada with sunroof. I bought one in June. It's called LX-SR.

SR stands for Sunroof
    Civics have always had wimpy horns. ALWAYS.
  • NO they have not always had wimpy horns. This is my civic number 11 and this is the first one that the horn sounds like it has a cold.
  • nsteevonsteevo Posts: 18
    The Civic is NOT a macho, muscle car by any means.
    A cute little car with a cute sounding little horn (sounds like my 10 month old's toy) that's what we have.
    My wife and I both like the way the horn sounds.....fits the car................cute.
    I love everything about my new Civic. Should have driven a Civic my whole life!
    Every Civic we've had (82, 91, 93, 95, 98, 07) have had wimpy horns. Monotone "Beep" horns.

At least the old Accords (2002 and earlier) had multi-tone "Beep" horns. I like my current Accord's '06 "HONK." ;)
    My Civic is an '07. The MPG rating that year for my model and auto transmission was 41MPG. I was told that the automatics got better miles per gallon at highway speeds than the standard. On the highway I consistently get 41 to 42 MPG with the windows closed and the air conditioning on and the car loaded to the hilt weightwise (I go back and forth from WI to FL).
    I noticed that the 08's are rated at only 38MPG highway. I have asked a number of different salespeople in a number of different dealerships this year why that is and they told me the government just changed how they rate miles per gallon on new cars. However, I have two friends who each purchased an '08 Civic because of how I bragged about my '07 and they, in fact, only get around 35 to 36 highway.
    I don't (#1) understand why on earth Honda would go backwards in an achievement like the 41MPG and (#2) why that size car and smaller of both Honda and other makes do not all get the 41MPG or better. I mean if one manufacturer can do it, why can't they all???
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The sales folks told you the truth, the EPA mileage tests were changed resulting in lower mileage estimates on cars that were idential to their earlier model years. As for your friends, well, maybe you should hold some seminars on how to drive for good economy. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Shipo told you right, the gov't changed their standards (see www.fueleconomy.gov).

A couple of things...

The 2007 Civic had ratings as follows:

30/38 for the 5MT
    30/40 for the 5AT

The 2008 is rated:

26/34 for the 5MT
    25/36 for the 5AT

I'm not sure where you pulled the 41mpg and 38 mpg figures from. :confuse: :confuse:
    The 41MPG is printed in large letters in the "highway" column on the widow sticker that was in the car when it arrived at the dealer.....I still have it.
    Same with the 38 on the 08's I've seen on the sticker in the showroom.
    Maybe Honda decided to print the government's numbers in the small print on the window stickers!?!
  • tiger72tiger72 Posts: 21
    i still have my '08 sticker, so i'll check, but i'm quite sure my sticker didn't say 38mpg...
    I'd LOVE to see a picture/copy of this.
  • johnc27johnc27 Posts: 9
    Does the 2008 Civic have electric power steering ? I am thinking it doesn't because everyone says the steering and handling is one of
    its many strong points. Thank you to whoever responds.
    Nope, it uses regular hydraulic steering, as cars have been doing for decades. ;)
  • Hi All,
    I am coming VERY close to getting a civic LX AT 08 and notice though that the seat quality and comfort is a bit wanting (my last car was a camry, so I'm spoiled).

Does the seat fabric wear easily? It looks and feels a bit cheap to me, but maybe it will withstand longer than it looks like it will (?).

Are post sale accessories available to help with not only the comfort (i,e, cushions), but also with the fabric (ie, upgrade and get leather installed or simply get a seat cover to protect the seat?).

Any thoughts from Honda LX owners out there?

Thanks so much in advance for any info. or advice re: this!
  • ivtec1ivtec1 Posts: 29
    i own a civic 08 lx. i have said this before but i will say it again. THe fabric quality is unpleasant. So far it has been holding up well (had the car since jan) but not sure in the future. I am kinda concerned about the armrest fabric because that might wear out quickly.
  • Thanks ivtec1-- I agree, the fabric quality seems a bit cheap. So for about eight months it's been holding up for you... I hadn't thought about the arm rest....do you think a simple seat cover might help?

Are there sites where we can buy this stuff--I know some people get that skinz leather installed--wonder if it's worth it?
  • ivtec1ivtec1 Posts: 29
    some word of wisdom...... Do NOT buy Seat covers for your civic!(unless it is custom made) Coz of the side airbags and it is not recommended...

about the arm rest...... it is still ok.. so far.. but i would have to think about it later on. Its not that bad..... but i wish i got the civic hybrid interior. :shades:

what color r u trying to get? I got the galaxy gray outside and charcoal interior.
This discussion has been closed.