Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Xterra Gauges

falconsixty3falconsixty3 Member Posts: 5
I have a 2000 SE, and I love it. I have a problem with the gauges, however. Especially when its hot, all of the gauges(fuel, rpm, speedo, temp, and odometer) will just go out. Sometimes they come back on and other times they don't work. I'm a mechanic, so i can fix the problem if i know what it is, I was just gonna see if anyone has had this problem before(might save me some diagnostic time). Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    One other member reported a similar issue but no one was able to help him (link).

Please report back when you figure it out.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The most likely candidates are either improper grounding or cracked solder on a circuit board.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    Thanks a lot. I'll look around and see if i can find anything. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    sbogersboger Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my 2000 xterra. was wondering if you found out what the problem was.
  • Options
    I have not yet. I haven't got a chance to get under the dash and look. But apparently there was a technical service bulletin about there being a faulty ground somewhere under/behind the dash.

Now it has gotten to where the speedometer will freeze where it is sometimes along with the tachometer. I'm off work today, so i try and get it to act up. The problem has been that it always acts up where I can't get a chance to look at it.

I'll let you know if i can figure anything out.
  • Options
    I took out he gauge cluster and the circuit board had a spot on it that looked like it had gotten hot. It would be in the top left hand corner of the gauges if you were facing them.

Since I wasn't 100% sure if that was it, put it back together. I have noticed that the left side of the gauges gets hot sometimes though. I've thought about drilling a small hole in the plastic cover and waiting until it goes out again, and spraying something like air duster in it to see if they come back on when it cools off.

I'm pretty sure, the actual circuit board is the problem. I have kept a close eye on how hot the gauges get, and I try to turn the illumination down at night so they won't get too hot then also.
  • Options
    koolraulkoolraul Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 XE. Have the same problem with gauges i.e., it will just go out and then it will come back. Sometimes it takes a while before it comes bak. I have this checked with Nissan service and they couldn't figure it out because they couldn't duplicate the same problem. To do that, you would need to have the mechanic sit with you while driving till you experience the problem. I have a mechanic friend he couldn't figure it out either.
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I have a 2006 Xterra. Last year I had to have my fuel sensor replaced when it failed. Will I get reimbursed by Nissan as part of this recall (I am fairly certain it is the same and quite common problem) or will Nissan punish me for fixing my car before the recall? If Nissan does me wrong, Toyota here I come for my next 4X4.
  • Options
    rogeliogrogeliog Member Posts: 1
    To everybody with these loco gauges syndrome, start laughing now cause you will laugh even harder when I tell you how I fixed my X2000 5 yrs ago.
    Problem was intermittent making it harder to fix! The last time(2008) my Xterra did this I stoped to the side of the road. What luck when a mechanic at a place I buy from reconized my yellow xterra stop behind me to see if something was wrong! After I explained the problem He repeated a saying my father allways told my, "all problems seem simple after there fixed".
    Here is what he did:1- He took an old CD in it's sleeve and a screwdriver out from the trunk of his car. 2-at my car He removed the ignition cap, rotor and module. 3- NOW HE PLACED THE CD OVER THE IGNITION'S SHAFT!$$$$$$. He said I'll explain later!-I said I had replaced all those parts 3weeks before my gauge problem started. 4-He removed the CD and showed me a silver timing disc with lots of slits. "THERES YOUR PROBLEM".
    I gave Him a $20,He came back 20mins with a new disc, put everything back. FIXED!!!
    I later looked with a magnifiying glass and found various misalinged slits. I called Him and He said "remember why you always cover the intake when removing a carb because of dirt, that was the reason for the CD on the ignition shaft to aviod getting foreign objects on the disc!
    now laugh!!!!
  • Options
    houndguyhoundguy Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem for six years. I had to replace the instrument cluster circuit board ($169.60 part). Mine was getting progressively worse, I'd go a week without gauges before having it repaired. There were times where it would work at first and then stop, perhaps overheating as others have said. I couldn't stand it any longer, so I had it repaired.