Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    There are two life fluids in your car's engine: motor oil and coolant. If you run seriously low on either, you risk major engine damage. If you're unwilling/unable to properly deal the water pump leak at this time, keep a close tab on the coolant level at the fill cap (not the overflow recovery bottle) and top up with 50/50 Toyota antifreeze. Given the miles on your car's engine, it's probably about ready for a timing belt swap, too. (If this part lets go in operation, you roll to a stop. Period. If you're lucky enough to have a non-interference engine, there's no damage other than the necessity to replace the timing belt.) Since the engine's front covers have to be removed for access to the water pump or the timing belt, adding another $60.00 or $70.00 for the price of a new timing belt at the same time would make sense. Why chance paying the full labor charge all over again within 10,000 or 20,000 miles? You can probably save money by having an independent shop do the water pump and timing belt. Look for an "ASE" sign that signifies the shop's technicians undergo ongoing training and certification to stay abreast of current technology. It's just about a given that dealership service will be at the high end for repair costs. I limit my dealership service department exposure strictly to warranty repairs.
  • livindollivindol Posts: 1
    my front cupholder is broken...the piece that folds down in the holder broke off...any ideas on where i can get a new piece?

Thanks
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I agree with everything you said. The Camry's 4-cylinder engine of that era is the non-interference type.

One thing I would add is to remove the coolant fill cap only when the engine is cold (like first thing in the morning). This is to prevent getting scalded by hot fluid under pressure.
    You really have only 3 choices: to order the part from the dealer and install it yourself, or have the dealer install it. The third option is to find it in a salvage yard. (I wouldn't know how to remove it, however, without breaking it.)

I doubt you'll find this item on eBay.
  • speed6speed6 Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Camry and lately on long trips I am getting heat inside the car near the accelerator pedal. After a while car doesn't go beyond certain speed (60 mph) despite pushing the accelerator pedal all the way down. Looks like it is stuck on cruise control. The temperature gage shows no abnormality. I have showed it to dealer but they couldn't replicate it. Appreciate any help I can get.
    Just a thought -- hard to diagnose problems over the Internet, but I'm wondering if your catalytic converter (in the exhaust system) might be clogged. That might explain the heat and the lack of acceleration.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    yes, a clogged cat is a good possibility.

i once saw a vehicle (not a camry) going down the highway with the exhaust pipe leading to the muffler glowing hot red. i imagine some part of the cat liberated and moved down the pipe.
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Posts: 130
    Does this relate only to the 6 speed auto v6 or also the 4cyl auto 5 speed (which was a carryover)?
    Only the 6-speed in the V6 model.
  • bildowbildow Posts: 100
    Have your alternator checked under load you might have a schrader diode or two that could be weak causing the alternator not to put out full power. You can also put a volt meter between the negative cable and negative battery post to see if you are drawing power from the battery while the key is not turned on. If you only drive a short distance daily this will not charge up the battery it takes about two hours of driving to fully charge a battery. You can possible buy a small battery charger and charge the battery over the weekend. I've found that a lot of people run all over town starting the car several times and only drive a mile or two this will also drag down the battery if so take the car on a good 1-2 hour run to fully charge the battery. :sick:
  • Hello,

My new 2007 Camry LE is now 1 week old and the only thing I see wrong so far is the standard radio that comes with it. I've tried turning off the automatic volume level control but it did not help the problems. The stock radio in my 2004 Camry as well as the stock radios in my two other vehicles do not exhibit these problems.

On local FM stations the sound seems to flutter somewhat while the vehicle is in motion. I know this is to be expected somewhat with FM since it's subject to weak signal pockets due to obstacles, but it is worse than I have experienced with any other vehicles, which do not exhibit the problem on local stations at all.

The AM reception is even more annoying. I live in San Diego and frequently listen to KFI in Los Angeles (about 100 miles away). Since this station is very high power, it comes in on my other radios just like it's next door. However, on the 2007 Camry it sounds rough and gravelly. Most local AM stations are better but not always perfect.

I have a feeling that this problem may merely be an "improvement" from Toyota for the 2007 models and that when I take it back to the dealer they won't be able to hear a thing! Have any of you experienced or heard of a similar problems?

Thanks,
    Ray

[email protected]
    I have briefly driven a 2007 Camry, but I didn't check the radio. I was mainly interested in seeing how it compares with my '04 and '05 (the '07 is somewhat quieter but the A-pillar seems wider; also I like the looks and soft feel of the LE cloth seats).

I think the dealer will just wave you away. 100 miles is little far for AM radio, in the daytime at least, despite the strength of the signal.

You may want to test drive another '07 Camry with the same radio to see if there's any difference.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,037
    CAll the station and ask them their coverage area or email them-check their website. For a strong station I have no trouble with two Detroit stations, Indianapolis, Louisville, Chicago, not all of which are strong. Compare reception with another vehicle's radio.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• mca2mca2 Posts: 20
    Today all of my power windows stopped working. Unfortunately, the passenger side window is stuck all the way down. I checked all the fuses (under the hood and in the dash) and they all looked good. What could have caused this to stop working all of the sudden?
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    I assume the "lock windows" button isn't pushed in? If so, none of the controls will work including the driver's controls. Maybe at least try pushing it in and out once or twice to see if it's stuck.
  • mca2mca2 Posts: 20
    Yes, the window lock is not pushed in. The controls for all four windows will not work on the drivers side and none of the other controls on the other three doors work. :(
  • bildowbildow Posts: 100
    I HAVE A 2006 CAMRY AND HAVE THE SAME RADIO PROBLEM THE ANTENNA IS BUILT INTO THE BACK WINDOW AND Dosen't WORK AS WELL AS ANTENNA THAT RAISES AND LOWERS THE ROD STYLE FROM THE OLDER CAMRYS. I DRIVE IN SAN DIEGO AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK AND FOUND THE SAME PROBLEM WEAK STATIONS FROM LA AND ORANGE COUNTY. I HAVE ALSO FOUND THAT SOME RADIO STATIONS IN LA ARE JUST A LITTLE WEAK IN ORANGE COUNTY AND FLUTTER DUE TO THE HILLS AS WHERE IN LEXUS LS400 WITH THE ROD ANTENNA NO PROBLEMS. WORD AROUND THE ELECTRONICS WORLD SAY THE BUILT IN ANTENNA IS A LITTLE LESS SENSITIVE THAN THE ROD TYPE. :shades:
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    could be a wiring harness problem. but, it still could be a fuse issue.

pull the fuse responsible for the power windows (check your manual, or the fuse cover). replace it with a fuse of the exact same number and color (corresponds to maximum current draw). in the process of doing so, you may find that the fuse wasn't seated well, or although it "looked" good, had actually blown.

good luck.
  • I have a '97 Camry, and I am trying to replace the right side mirror. I have removed every screw and popped the panel loose, but it is being held in place by the door handle. I've tried to remove the door handle cup (the screw is out) but can't seem to get it to budge. What am I missing?

Christie
  • blackcamryblackcamry Posts: 16
    Is anyone experiencing the same issue having a noise from the gas tank when the tank is full.
    It sounds like a bowling ball rolling around in the trunk or like when you move a water bottle (water moving around, slushing back and forth)...in this care fuel bouncing around the tank.
    It happens when the car start moving or when stopping.
    Do you know what this could be? Is it the tank float?
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    Mine is fine!!!!!!!!
  • gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    hehe leaking yeah right, not so sure about that. But its standard operating procedure to change it when you change your timing belt. I don't know if I believe that as much as most do.

On my 2001 camry 4 cylinder there's no trans pan to drop or screen. The best mechanics I know recommend just draining and replacing the trans fluid. They also state that you should never have them flush your transmission. They all want to do that now by the way. But a lot times it causes problems to occur that cost much much more.

I changed my trans fluid at 30k and 60k I don't think I will ever change it again. Most of the nasty metal sludge should be out by now. I also change my radiator fluid at 30k and 60k, and will continue doing that every 30k.

I have 83,000 and have not done the timing belt yet. My last car was a corolla and when I had my timing belt changed they didn't tighten the bolts enough and I had oil leaks from then on. Even after retightening them. So I have issues with changing the belt.

I read all over that that the 4 cylinder camry has a non interference belt and will not damage your car if it breaks.

I also switched to mobil1 at around 60k a little late then I should have but I am happy not to have to get an oil change as often. Plus I think my car likes it.

My last tip, Don't ever fix a transmission or engine when they are bad just dump the car somewhere. Mechanics can cause more problems when they try to fix something. Then never take responsablity.
  • I just found out if you go to CNN.comAutos may 30, 2006, The news is that Toyota Motor Corp is recalling 1 million cars worldwide to replace faulty intermediate shafts and sliding yokes.also Toyota is conducting a special service campaign in the US for 170,000 Priuses. Maybe my complaint to the Transportation and highway safety Administration did some good I certainly hope so. If they do recall our cars with this problem and you have had your repaired at your own expense keep your recipts you might be eligble for a reimbursement.
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    I'm glad someone else noticed this too! I was wondering if my spare tire isn't tightened down properly. If you find out how to fix it, let me know :-)
  • blackcamryblackcamry Posts: 16
    that was what I thought when I heard the noise...but actually it comes from the tank...when it's full or 3/4 full
    let me know if you have talked to the dealer
  • I have a 1998 Camry, with the 4 cylinder engine, it has started to leak some oil from under the rear passenger side, I can not figure out how to tighten, or remove the valve cover and replace the gasket, can anyone please help me !!!
    Thanks
    Steve
  • I brought the car for an oil change at Kearny Mesa Toyota in San Diego. Now, im here in Pomona and (150miles away)when I got out from the car I smelled something oily, I looked around, pop up the engine hood, checked if there is any spilled oil, nothing then I check under the car and saw the oil filter is dripping so I went back to the engine, check the oil dip stick and found no marking of oil on the stick, to make sure I wiped the stick with the cloth dipped, pulled and still no marking of oil on the stick . Now im really pissed because im not sure if I drove the car 150 miles without oil (Low oil pressure on the the instrumental panel did not lit). My real question now is will the dealer replace my car or engine with a new one after all they're the one that did the change oil and it's their fault.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Make note of how many quarts of oil you have to put in, to get it back up to the full mark.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,037
    I would ask the service manager at the dealer how he wants to come check the car's problem for documentation for him and for you. I wouldn't add oil or tighten the filter until you talk to someone in charge.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    You may have dodged a bullet. (You wouldn't have made it 1 mile without any oil.) Do not restart the engine in its present extremely low oil level condition. I suspect either the oil change person (You really think dealerships put their best mechanics on something as mundane as an oil change?) at Kearny Mesa Toyota undertightened the oil filter or cartridge cap, overtigtened the oil filter or cartridge cap and crushed its gasket, undertightened the drain plug, or, {shudder} x-threaded the oil drain plug which resulted in a ruined oil pan that'll permanently leak. From your description, I suspect a problem with the oil filter, but have the drain plug checked while you're at it. Have the car towed to a shop or dealership to have the cause of the leak checked out and repaired as necessary, the filter replaced, and fresh oil added. Kearny Mesa Toyota is probably responsible for the total cost of any related repairs if necessary, but it may take legal action to force them to pay up if they stonewall you. Don't hesitate to bring ToyotaUSA into this if Kearny Mesa Toyota does.

(Ask me why I won't even accept the first "free" oil change from a dealership in any new cars I buy. Don't even ask my opinion of the "Gypie Boob" oil change places... For a "fun" read about the nation's largest chain of oil change shops, go here for part 1, and here for part 2.)
This discussion has been closed.