Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• gblankgblank Posts: 1
    When it's wet or humid, it runs rough or has trouble starting. Our mechanic can reproduce the problem, but cannot figure out what is causing it.
    Any clues?
  • tljjerseytljjersey Posts: 2
    I have serveral check engine errors. P0125,P1133 and a P1135. All I believe indicate a bad A/F heater sensor. What is your view? Sould I this sensor from Toyota or should on on online and buy an off brand version. Do they work just as good. Anyone with any exoerience? Thanks
  • bildowbildow Posts: 100
    If your toyota has a distributor look under the distributor cap to see if it is damp, this some times causes problems or if you have around a 100,000 miles and have the same plug wires and distributor cap and rotor change them out. Check to see how long the plug have been in the engine if over 40,000 miles probably good idea to change them also. If you use the same gas station change to another one to just see if it makes a difference. I have found that my distributor had a fine hair crack in it and it got damp and caused the same problem you are talking about also you can have the car put on a engine computer to see if the spark plugs are firing the same. :sick:
  • penizzlepenizzle Posts: 104
    When it doesnt crank, does it click at all. Here are some things to check. Check the battery terminals-make sure the are clean and the cables are on tight. CHeck for battery voltage going to the starter. If it is a full 12 volts or so, you need to replace your starter assembly (solenoid and starter) as a whole. If there is no voltage check these things-the starter relay,starter fuse(if there is one), the ignition switch, or the battery cables for wear and tear. Finally, if none of these check out, check for loose grounds or problems in the circuit. Good luck :)
    Some online are oem but most are aftermarcket. The quality is ussually the same, but online takes too long. Go to your local auto parts store(NAPA, AutoZone,etc...) and buy them, but get one of the upper brands, but if all they have is store-brand, it should work. Dont forget to clear the codes after repairs are made. :)
  • donmodonmo Posts: 2
    Have you taken your car to a dealer to get the steering noise fixed? I have the same problem and the car is still under warranty.Do you know how they fixed the problem with the Prius and does it sound like the same problem we are having?
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    TSB on the steering shaft affecting a number of models.
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Posts: 55
    I once had a 1989 with the 2.5 L V6 and had the same problem intermittently. Turned out to be the power contacts in the relay that sits on top of the starter. They slowly wear out. I kludged new contacts from a copper pipe.

The large 12 volts cable that comes from the battery actually goes to that relay. Before you tear it down, see if the relay solenoid control signal goes to 12 volts as someone else turns your ignition switch to "start".

If it does, you are left with 2 possibilities :
    - If you hear the relay clicking, the contacts are worn
    - If you don't hear it, the solenoid is defective

If you don't see 12 volts at the relay control signal, the problem is upstream - look all the way up to the ignition switch.
  • tljjerseytljjersey Posts: 2
    Thanks I'll do that. I appreciate you your taking the time to answer me.
  • flakkasflakkas Posts: 5
    had mine fixed, its been great no more worries
  • ramelan1ramelan1 Posts: 4
    so far havent resolved the problem but definitely there is still a draw on the battery even when the car is no running. anyone else have any suggestions?? ill let you all know if i have any luck.
  • I have a 99 Le 4 cyl. that has the problem of low idle speed when the engine is warm. the cold idle speed is fine but when we go anywhere after the engine reaches normal temp the idle speed drop to about 400-600 rpm. It has been known to stall after I get off the freeway and stop at the light at the bottom of the ramp. Does anyone think the IAC could be at fault?
  • As of yet I have not had it fix since I feel that Toyota should have fixed it since it is a known issue with this car. Toyota has recalled the Pruis but not the Camary because as I was told by their customer service personnel that a a study was done and since no accident has been reported they are not recalling them. I have written to the CEO in Torrence, California and have just received a reply that they do not intend to fix it since it is out of warranty and that it is my responsibility now, Since yours is still under warranty I would insist that they fix the problem. A friend of mine had the same problem and he went to the dealership and had them repair it with no charge to him. I believe that he had about 500 miles over the 36000 warranty limit.
  • irina99irina99 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I bought brand new Camry 2006 and after four months it started vibrating exactly the same way yours does.
    I took it to dealer and they said that it is normal.
    I wonder if you got it fixed or got any advices, input, etc.
    I would appreciate any information regarding this problem.

Thanks

Irina
  • nirvana2knirvana2k Posts: 2
    My 2000 Soalra SE keeps turning off on me when it is warm. I turn the key and it is on for about 1 second and then it shuts off unless I accelerate once I release the accelerator it turns off. The weird thing is that it only does that when the wheels are in a certain angle. If I turn it on on neutral and accelerate and really quickly put in drive than it is fine. It is only turning the car on that is giving me headaches! PLEASE HELP IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEA ON WHAT IT CAN BE.

THANKS!
  • klarueklarue Posts: 5
    I am wondering if any mechanic-savvy members can advise me as to what maintenance procedures are really necessary for my 91,000 miles 1998 Camry? I have replaced the timing belt, the water pump, and numerous gaskets, have done regular oil changes, but have never flushed the transmission fluid, or any other things recommended by the dealership. They suggest me paying $400 for inspection and adjustments to my car, but I just wonder if that is all necessary. What should I do to make sure I keep going for another 90,000 miles? Thanks!
  • bildowbildow Posts: 100
    I have some knowledge on toyota's you should have the transmission flushed by a oil change place or transmission shop if your trans fluid is brown or black get it out have the trans flushed. Also change out the power steering fluid you can use good old transmission fluid dexron 3. Also get the radiator flushed by any good radiator shop it dosen't cost much and it's important to change your radiator fluid every 2 years and change the thermostat which is very important also. check your hoses upper and lower ones. A well kept camry can go 200 300 thousand miles I have gotten 385,000 with the same engine and transmission just by changing fluids. :shades:
  • ewe2ewe2 Posts: 20
    Does anyone know how to reset the "Maintenance Required" light on a 2006 Camry 4 cyl?
    First, get the maintenance done. I don't know exactly how to reset the light, but look in your owners manual. You can learn a lot about your car that you didn't know by reading it. :)
  • klarueklarue Posts: 5
    Thanks so much for your input! Am getting the transmission flushed this week, and other stuff next week. Good to hear that Toyotas can go so many miles!
  • Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem. The garage told me I have a faulty AC compressor clutch AND and failing Electronic Control Module (ECM). The clutch still works but slips. The ECM, he claims, is shorting when it gives a signal to the AC to turn on. I have not had anything fixed yet because the total bill is north of seventeen hundred dollars!
    If the clutch slips, you know you have problems. You need to get that fixed. As for the ECM shorting out during A/C engagement, I have never heard of that hapenning. Get the clutch fixed first and see what happens.
    I cant believe you havent got an answer. Well here it is. Your WATER PUMP is sucking in air. The ticking noise that you here on the right side of the car could also be a water pump if it is coming from the front.
  • Thanks.
    I had the same thought about replacing the clutch first. Here is the wording from the service writer, "...traced wiring and found the A/C relay would lose its ground at the ECM. Also, we ran power to the cpomressor and found compressor clutch slips when engaged." Does that sound like an ECM problem, or does it sound like the ECM is doing what it should do?
  • donmodonmo Posts: 2
    You were right! My car was under warranty and the dealer installed a new steering shaft assembly. Their cost was $250.34 which was covered. I paid nothing. Thanks for your information
  • At level running speeds, my 2002 Camry seems to "start/stop"rapidly from an accelaration standpoint. My dealer tells me I need a new EGR switch at around $269 P/L. Is there another less costly alternative to correct this problem or to replace the switch?

Ed
  • toyoman1toyoman1 Posts: 52
    Hey all,

The camry is running ill again. It has 189,000 miles. The other day while driving home from school it died about 3 times. Then it started again and hasnt done it in almost two weeks. My mechanic said no engine codes were thrown and he let it idle for 15 minutes and it never and hasn't happened again. Now today I was driving it was about 98 degrees outside here in atlanta and I look down and my engine temp is almost in red. I turned the a/c off and I watched the car go back to normal almost immediately. Then later I tried the air again and it didnt heat up. I got home and the coolant reservoir was bone dry. I filled it up and about an hour later it was dry again. Still no engine overheating. Whats the deal? Anyone got any ideas? I am thinking maybe a thermostat was stuck closed or maybe the water pump. Lemme know ya'll... and as always HAPPY MOTORING!!!!! :sick:
  • jimmy57jimmy57 Posts: 5
    :sick: IF YOU ARE DRIVING A 2007 CAMRY WITH A FOUR CYLINDER, 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, AND ARE EXPERIENCING SERIOUS HESITATION AND POWER LAG, PARTICULARLY FROM A STANDING START AND/OR AT LOWER SPEEDS, I URGE YOU TO READ THIS POST CAREFULLY, AND TO RESPOND IMMEDIATELY BY CALLING TOYOTA AT THEIR TOLL-FREE NUMBER, AND FILE A COMPLAINT.

My wife and I are six-time Toyota owners. Five of the six Toyotas that we have purchased were Camrys, and all but one was brand new. All but one were purchased from the same dealership since 1986. Until now, we have not encountered a single problem with any of them. We recently purchased a gorgeous metallic red 2007 Camry SE (4 cylinder) with a 5-speed automatic, and the hesitation problems we are experiencing have been an extreme nuisance from day one. I believe that this problem is unique to the 2007 Camry, and that the problem may pose a considerable safety hazard. The car, put quite simply, cannot get out of its own way. I only had mine for a week when I realized that the hesitation problems could become dangerous. I took it back to the dealership before I had owned it a week, and the service department said they had not yet heard of any such problems, as the car is an entirely new model in its first year. That seemed reasonable enough, as we were one of the first to buy a 2007 CAMRY SE in our locality. My sales associate and I agreed that the car's computer system may still have been "learning" my driving habits, and that it would resolve the problem over time. But nothing changed over the next two weeks. I recently took it back to my dealership with around 1500 miles on it, after a couple of very frustrating and nerve wracking weeks.

Both my sales associate and the service manager offered to take a ride with me to witness and to assess the problem. I let the service manager do the driving on the first test run, and right away, he noticed both the "two-second lag" in performance shifting from first through third gear. Even though the car is running, it feels as though it just doesn't want to go. He also agreed that this lack of performance was both unacceptable and quite unusual. The car hits second gear, and then...nothing! It doesn't stall, but it falls flat on its face for about two full seconds before it gets up and goes. This is not a car that I would even think of calling a call a "Sports Edition" in its current state. After our little incident with the test ride, my sales associate, the service manager and I decided it would be wise to test drive another brand new Camry with the same engine and transmission for a "second opinion". Guess what??? Same exact problems and worse! We took it up my sister's steep paved driveway (as I did with my own the week before), and as before, the brand new test car could not get up the hill. But this time, it slowed to a crawl going up the drive, (with the pedal depressed to the floor) and then nearly stalled, rolling backwards! The brakes had to be thrown on to keep us from slipping right back down the driveway.

My wife and I believe that our 2007 Camry SE is a potentially dangerous vehicle. By potentially dangerous, I do not mean that the car is dangerous at all times, but that the EXTREME hesitation may present a hazard in traffic where snap decisions are unavoidable, and more aggressive acceleration is needed. If you drove this car just once, you would never dare to pull into traffic in a hurry. The car just dies when you try to accelerate. If you round a hard corner slowly enough for the car shift back into first gear, there will be nearly two seconds of "huh?" before it shifts up to second. If you have someone following close behind you, which you more than likely will, it is quite possible that you will get rear-ended. Rightly so, because no driver would ever anticipate your car slowing down after rounding a corner, or anticipate anything as ridiculous as a vehicle that slows down before it decides to pass a vehicle.

My service manager's hands are tied; there is not yet a fix for this problem. I have to wait until a fix becomes available. For all we know, there may not be one for the life of the car. We were, up until now, a big Toyota Camry family. That all may change real soon, depending on whether or not Toyota recognizes the danger and finds a fix. I called the toll-free number at Toyota and they were very polite and acted quickly to get me a case number. But there is no fix available as of the writing of this post, nor has Toyota acknowledged that this is in fact a problem at all.

THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE, A VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM. DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT.

I cannot believe that we may actually have to drive this car in its current state until "X" amount of similar complaints are filed by Camry owners. And even then, will Toyota find a quick fix, a computer re-map, or issue a recall? Will someone get broad-sided in an intersection before we see a fix?

I cannot imagine what winter is going to be like in this car...we live in New Hampshire, where life is a hill, and the winters are brutal to say the least. I'm guessing the hesitation will more than likely cause severe traction problems and possibly loss of control. I'm not talking about a a noisy door panel, a loose body side molding, or a dashboard rattle. This is a serious and dangerous flaw that has been overlooked by Toyota, and I for one, refuse to become a statistic just to get Toyota to find, or NOT find a fix for this horrific problem. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of; a car that can't even make it up a driveway without slowing to a stop and rolling backwards. It is intolerable, and I aim to take the steps necessary to change it before it either drives us out of our minds or gets SOMEONE KILLED.

LET ME END BY SAYING THAT OUR TOYOTA DEALERSHIP HAS BEEN COURTEOUS, HELPFUL, AND RESPONSIVE TO OUR COMPLAINTS THUS FAR. UNFORTUNATELY, THIS PROBLEM APPEARS TO BE OUT OF THEIR HANDS UNTIL A FIX IS FOUND, OR A PROBLEM RECOGNIZED BY TOYOTA.

BEFORE A FIX CAN BE FOUND, PEOPLE NEED TO MAKE THEIR PROBLEMS KNOWN.

WE ARE DISAPPOINTED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS NEW VEHICLE, AND APPREHENSIVE EVERY TIME WE GET BEHIND THE WHEEL. IT REALLY FEELS AWFUL GETTING INTO AN ATTRACTIVE, SPORTY CAR LIKE THIS, KNOWING THAT IT JUST DOESN'T PERFORM. IF YOU ARE HAVING SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH YOUR 2007 CAMRY, GET TO YOUR DEALER AND CALL TOYOTA NOW, PLEASE!!!!
    Obviously there is leak. The first place to check is the water pump weep hole. If it is leaking, you need a water pump, very common on the Camrys of that age. If you want coolant in your car,, dont completly fill up the reservoir because more coolant gets expeled into there. Check your radiator cap as well. Buy a new one just like it from the Toyota dealer. Open it up and put coolant in until the coolant level is up to the neck of the radiator.
    There is always a fix for anything. The technichian just said there isn't because there isn't anything written on paper talking about it. If the engine is actually sputering itself, it is probably a problem in the engine and or its components. To me, it sound like the two second lag is a tranny problem. My best bets are on the shift solenoids for the particular gears. The ECM could not be working them properly or they themselves could be bad. Also, the valve body may be bad. Give the technichian these ideas. Anything can be fixed, but It may be hard to get parts. GOOD LUCK. :)
This discussion has been closed.