Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    At mininum, purchase yourself a Haynes manual.

Sometimes on eBay you can get a good deal on the Toyota repair manual for the V6 engine.
  • rph3rph3 Posts: 1
    Purchased 2002 SE model about two months ago. Selected the SE, liked the more responsive steering, but the suspension now seems too harsh over medium to small bumps. Would like to know other opinions of the SE suspension. Have even considered changing out the struts and/or springs to get a more comfortable ride. Maybe should have got the LE model, but I do like the steering on the SE. The suspension is also noisy on large bumps. Thanks.
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Posts: 163
    I would consider putting in TRD replacement struts in your SE. Check with your Toyota dealership regarding TRD parts for your model. Your SE model will have all kinds of TRD replacement part available.
    There is no TRD/Bilstein struts available for the 2002 Camry yet.
  • boslaw1boslaw1 Posts: 3
    Any idea what would cause my water temperature guage to rise (drastically) whenever I use my A/C in hot weather? I have a 94 Camry. Is this a Camry-specific problem?

Thanks,
    Bos
    How's the condition of the cooling system.

If you haven't changed the coolant yet, take it to the dealership, and might want to get the thermostat checked out also

Or take it to a mechanic....just make sure you use the OEM Toyota "Red" coolant.
  • Hi,
    When does the 2003 Camrys come out?
    Thanks! Hope everyone has a Happy and safe Fourth of July!!!!!
    sunshine60105!
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    Believe that 94 still had as OEM the green coolant Would not suggest using the red stuff and if you do a complete flush must take place, they are not compatible. My 92 has used the green stuff since new and still does with no issues
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    valve seals or valve gasket liners. In my 95' LE V6, the car was leaking oil through the engine value gaskets, which needed to be replaced. Had over 110K miles on it. I would hate to say it, but take it to a mechanic to get a definite opinion.
  • Recently bought a '94 XLE V6 w/140k miles. I want to change the ATF and the powr steering fluid. Toyota manual say to use Dexron II. All I can find is Dexron III. Is III ok to use?
    The manual also lists a valve clear. for the V6 engine. I thought the V6 had hydraulic lifters?
  • bbwangbbwang Posts: 1
    I own a Camry V6,1990, 120000 miles. From the last week, I suffered from starting the car.

If I turn off the engine, I can't restart it unless I wait for 5-10 minutes. The waiting time seems to be increasing.
  • jimme88jimme88 Posts: 1
    DEXRON III is a replacement for Dexron II according to the Dexron web site. I use it in a car that calls for Dexron II, no problems. The valves are not hydraulic and are supposed to be adjusted at 60,000 miles. Have someone who has adjusted vales before that you trust take a listen to yours. If they are not noisy, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • I had that happen on a car i owned several years ago, turned out to be that starter.
  • acheng73acheng73 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 V6 Camry SE 9 days ago. The day after pick up, it started making a rapping noise that's gotten worse (coming from under the passenger and drivers side dash - ?strut or suspension?). Took it to the dealer once and they were unable to locate the problem. Does Toyota offer any recourse for defective cars? (ie return or exchange within 30 days of purchase). This was a new car and has < 400 miles. The rapping sound is quite loud (I can hear it over the radio). Any ideas?
  • andy1919andy1919 Posts: 2
    Have 13K miles on my 2002 Camry XLE 4 door sedan.

When the car has been parked for a period of time, I've noticed a single "clunk" under the hood when putting the car in drive after backing off my driveway or out of a parking space. The Toyota Service department told me this was the brakes "setting themselves" into position. Does anyone have this problem or know if this is true...I'm tempted to test drive another one to see if I hear the same thing.

I too feel that I've had excessive chipping of the paint on the front bumper and the forward most section of the hood...10 - 15 chips since November 2001. I also have a couple chips in the grill. I did not have this many chips in the front of my previous car which I had for seven years and traveled the same Florida highways.

I appreciate your responses.
  • armtdmarmtdm Posts: 2,057
    Yes, Dexon II is fine, I have used a synthetic ATF for 10 years now, no issues either.

Valves, well, Toyota has informed me that the service manual I have is wrong. It says a valve adjustment at 60,000 miles. dealer and Toyota central both say that unless there is a problem they never touch the valve adj. If loud or another problem they will but normally nothing. Also very expensive to adjust on the V6 Mine has 146,000 and never adjusted either
    200,000 miles on my old 88 V6, and not a problem either (with the valve clearance)...then I traded the car in.
  • I have experienced the same clunk for 3 years now the first time I hit the brakes going forward. No big deal and normal. I would believe your service manager. Have a great day Bob
  • ralpiralpi Posts: 26
    My '02 XLE 4cyl does the same, when put into drive or reverse first thing in morning. It does not concern me (as it is not the transmission in my opinion), it does sound like the brakes as your dealer suggested.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
    Do you have ABS. My current Camry does not but my old Ford did. The ABS system would set or self test itself each time the car was driven away. I assume the Camry does the same...?
  • andy1919andy1919 Posts: 2
    Folks,

Thanks for your help.

I neglected to mention that I have ABS...

Bob as ABS is standard on all XLE's you've helped confirm the self test mentioned by Andre and the dealership.

Thanks again...outside of the chipping paint (and lets see where this goes), the '02 Camry has been fantastic...

Andy
  • rubicon52rubicon52 Posts: 191
    I also have the brake thunk. It occurs the first time I use the brakes after backing out of the drive way. I believe it's the self adjustment mechanism on the brakes. Going in reverse actuates the self adjustment so there is a thunk the first time you use the brakes going forward. Not only is this not a problem. It indicates that the brakes are self adjusting as designed.
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    the self adjustment movement or adjust is so small it will not cause clunking.
    something else is doing it. all cars have self adjusters and they don't clunk.
  • annrussannruss Posts: 1
    Bought the car last Sept. 17th, 2001. Have 9500 miles on car. Every since I owned the car the trasmission jerks or hesitates when I am going along at 40 or more MPH. Yesterday it done this over a 10 times.
    Had the car back to dealers at least 3 times,they took it out for test and said everything was OK. Is anyone else having simular problems?
  • mandarinomandarino Posts: 9
    both my neighboors have late 90s camrys. Both experienced the same problem. Their cars would not turn off and then the starter would begin smoking and in one case caught fire. Has anyone heard of this? Is this problem wide spread? Has Toyota had a recall?

Mike M Thanks
    both my neighboors have late 90s camrys. Both experienced the same problem. Their cars would not turn off and then the starter would begin smoking and in one case caught fire. Has anyone heard of this? Is this problem wide spread? Has Toyota had a recall?

Mike M Thanks

Mike M Thanks
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    Check this page for the link to NHTSA.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• petrnycpetrnyc Posts: 47
    Such Toyota problems is only an indication what Toyota thinks of us poor shmucks vs. the Lexus-privileged. It is a misguided notion on the part of both dealers and manufacturers (as well as consumers) that since you didn't pay for a Lexus you get Toyota-Customer-Service- treatment !

The Japanese would never stand for such poor quality product/service. My friends from Tokyo have to laugh at us that we are willing to pay higher prices for a Toyota renamed as Lexus just so that quality and service is up to par. Even the basic Echo/Corolla quality in Japan must meet average consumer's expectation. And I agree, whether you pay $10,000 or $40,000 for Japanese vehicle certain standards in quality must be maintained.
  • everydayeveryday Posts: 53
    My 2000 Camry LE has suffered from bad paint problems since the day I got it. It was a nice shiny black then. I believe it will be 50 percent bare metal in another 3 years. God, I would be happy if I had only simple chipping problems, others have reported here. My paint job is so bad, that it is deteriating and peeling off in spots. I don't know if it was caused by some chemical or what. But in spots, something seem to be eating away at the paint. First, it turns dull, then you see a fine cracks, and then small chips come off exposing the primer or metal. I've seen almost anything cause this scenario, from dew on tree leaves to bird droppings. I have to wash and wax my car every week to stay ahead of it. And I don't think it's the wax, I've tried everyone on the market, same problem. I just have to say if there's nothing wrong with the paint, then this would have to be the weakest paint I have ever seen on a car. Hell, the Dutch Boy paint I have on my house is tougher than this! Do you think Toyota warranty covers this? No matter, I think this will be the last Toyota I buy, 20 grand for this mess?...never again.
This discussion has been closed.