Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue towing capacity

menardsymenardsy Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Oldsmobile
Hi,

I was intending to tow a folding camping trailer with my Oldsmobile Intrigue 2000. I would install a transmission cooler. The folding camping trailer has a dry weight of 1250 pounds and has electric brake on it. If I had some accessories in the folding camping trailer it will probably add around 200 pounds so it would be around 1500 pounds. We would be 2 passengers in the car (350 pounds) + around 200 pound of luggage. So in the car the weight would be around 550 pounds. To recapitulate, 1500 pounds for the trailer and 550 pounds in the car. I would like to know if it is too risky for: the frame, the transmission, the manoeuvrability in an emergency situation (must brake quickly or avoid obstacle) ?

Thank you.
Sylvain

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I think the towing capacity is 1000 pounds. Even towing that amount would concern me because I don't think the transmission could handle the additional load.
  • menardsymenardsy Member Posts: 4
    Even with a transmission cooler? So I assume that no car at all on the market can (since even a pwerful V6 car cannot) tow any folding camping trailer (except perhaps a Volvo). So a SUV is almost mandatory to tow even the lightest folding camping trailer?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    You asked about the Intrigue. It has a towing capacity of 1000 pounds. You are looking to tow 50% more then the manufacturer's recommendation. Yes the engine is rated for 215 hp but the transmission is not one of GM's strongest. There are cars that can handle what you are looking to tow. My minivan is rated for 3000 pounds. A small pickup can do this load easily.

You can probably get away with it as the manufacture always has a factor of safety. But if it were my vehicle, I would not do it even with a transmission cooler.
  • menardsymenardsy Member Posts: 4
    Thank you,

I think I am going to follow your recommendation. It’s going to be some time before I can buy a more expensive car to tow something. :-(

Sylvain
This discussion has been closed.