Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will the Chevy Volt Succeed?

Comments

• eaton53eaton53 Posts: 356
    "Stylistically, I love the looks, but would prefer a wagon or hatchback for added utility."

The Volt is a hatchback.

"From the non-enthusiast perspective, there's no way I'd buy any car of any brand at $40K. I'm someone who wants to spend as little as possible on my transportation, and a person shouldn't have to pay through the nose for several years just to save the Earth. The Earth belongs to low and middle-income people, too"

Congress has passed a $7500 tax credit on the Volt, it's a done deal. You may pay $40K up front but then you will get a big chunk of it back.

I expect early adopter types and well-to-do greenies will quickly snap up the available Volts and those who want cheap will just have to wait until the price comes down, like they did with plasma TVs and Blu-Ray players.

"Chevrolet is traditionally the poor man's (and woman's) car in that we get reasonable quality at a reasonable price."

For a number of years Chevrolet was the #1 "true luxury" brand... true luxury being defined as a vehicle with an MSRP over $40K. People don't have an aversion to paying $40K for a Chevrolet as long as it's a good one.
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    For a number of years Chevrolet was the #1 "true luxury" brand... true luxury being defined as a vehicle with an MSRP over $40K.

Huh? When?
  • tpetpe Posts: 2,342
    mini ev

What I find most interesting here is that there really hasn't been much news about BMW's EV program yet they seem like they'll be the first to have a sizeable test fleet here in the US. You listen to talk from GM and Toyota and they both seem to state that significant engineering hurdles are still left to be cleared before even 40 mile electric range can be offered.

The Volt isn't going to be a money maker for GM for quite some time, if ever. IMO they would have been far better off getting it on the road as soon as possible through a very limited number of leases like what BMW plans to do. Or what GM is doing with it's fuel cell Equinox. From a PR perspective it would have been valuable and you'd minimize your liability, After a couple years GM would have gathered a lot of real world data allowing them to work out the initial bugs and have a better sense of the battery pack's longevity before going into full production.
  • Tough one, tpe. GM lost 15.5 billion last quarter. They need a home run. They are banking that they can pull it off. Maybe it is swinging riverboat gambling. Senor Obama and the mighty ORP syndicate will probably subsidize the hell out of this car. I think a fuel cell at this point is pie in the sky several years to come and no small part of that being the fueling infrastructure. So, it is a different animal and standard production would be insanity. However, a partial batter car seems fully doable...if more complicated than many think. I don't know if they think the battery will realistically come down in price with improvements and larger production runs...I would hope so or it is quite possibly a foolish move. Despite what is happening now, unless it is the end of world, I still think we will see much higher oil prices in a couple years.
  • I just read that GM is cutting the first year production waaaaaay back. Just bring the g*dd*mn high mileage diesels over here. PLEASE!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,019
    GM has to deal with the realities of the market. Can't base your production on thinking the market hasn't changed.

I think that's the kind of thing that got GM to this point in the first place ;)

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

• Lutz:

A: It’s clear the thing is going to cost many thousand dollars more than we had hoped for the first generation technology. So what do we do about that?

Initially there will be enough demand from rich people, so there won’t be a worry for the first year or two. But if we want to generalize the technology the price has to come down.

I agree

Q: Assuming the Volt delivers on expectations and is well-received by consumers, what else could derail GM’s efforts?

A: Let us say that over the next 18 months the world goes into a major recession, car sales and fuel use drop dramatically, the steel companies produce less steel and therefore use less energy, China finds its main export markets drying up, so they are into a contraction and use less steel and aluminum and plastic. And at the same time Canadian tars sands come on stream, and coal-to-liquids come on stream. All of a sudden there is a reduction in primary demand in petroleum plus all these additional new supply sources, which were started at the time of $140 a barrel, suddenly coming on stream. And oil drops to $25 a barrel and we’re looking at gas pump prices at $1.25 a gallon. I personally don’t think that’s going to happen, but that would be a dramatic event for the Volt because everybody would say, 'Ha! Why
    should I bother?’

I agree

If I recall they were talking about 6k cars in 2010. I guess that makes sense and the production continues into 2011 where they hopefully meet the 50k or whatever the initial targets were.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/501213
    When the Volt was announced, 2010 didn't look all that far away as far as getting things done in time to have the car ready. Now it's looking like a long time only because of what GM seems like it's going to have to get through just to make it to that 2010 date for release.

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

HispanicBusiness.com had a chance to check out the production version of the Volt at the Los Angeles Auto Show. While we weren't allowed to actually take a seat in it, we can't deny the "wow" factor in the outward design of the car.
    http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/newsbyid.asp?idx=135644&cat1=auto&cat2=cutt- ingedge

Color me skeptical, but what the Volt looks like isn't nearly as important as how it performs.

Edmunds Moderator

• Sure, but what indeed was there to comment on just being given a look at the car?

The article was a bit more substantive as well. The engineering team is already looking to simplify and reduce costs of the battery pack. Kinda makes you want to wait for the next gen. Especially since I don't have 30-40k to throw around. I still think in the next several years we will have a good chance of a gas rationing situation. Those few with Volts may well have gotten their money's worth.
  • irismgirismg Posts: 345
    Nothing personal, but since you want to argue/dispute, in my opinion that's insane thinking. Even if Congress gives back 7500 dollars as a credit, that's still $32,500 and still too damn much to pay for a commuter car, never mind a Chevrolet! I'd like to know who these "people" you know so well who don't have an aversion to spending that kind of money on such a car, and whether there are enough of them to even count. Chevrolet has NEVER been a luxury car since the 40+ years I've been alive, but rather good, sensible transportation. Furthermore, in my view, the five or six early adopters who buy this thing won't keep GM alive. They're going to have to cut the price in half--at least--before they generate enough sales with it to make it worth their while to continue production of it. In these hard times relatively few people have money for experimentation!

Of course, if you see things differently, I'll respect that!
    relatively few people have money for experimentation

That's the real hurdle isn't it? The Volt sure seems like an experiment right now. And an expensive one at that.

Edmunds Moderator

Production of the Volt going to the UK?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12/03/uk_govt_blesses_volt/

Edmunds Moderator

• unless that move is for euro demand only, it will go over like a lead balloon with the politicians and the american people.
    Even if it's just for Euro production it won't go over well. The Volt was going to be built here with American labor, or so the tale went. Sounds like the UK is sweetening the pot with tax incentives.

Edmunds Moderator

http://www.freep.com/article/20081203/BUSINESS01/81203081
    WASHINGTON — General Motors Corp. will press a Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid prototype into service Thursday on Capitol Hill, where GM Chairman Rick Wagoner will use a prototype to emphasize the company’s technology.

GM spokesman Greg Martin said Wagoner will drive a prototype Volt wearing the sheet metal of the upcoming Chevrolet Cruze to the Senate committee hearing on the company’s request for $18 billion in emergency loans.

How much does this help the Volt? Does it not help that it will be a Volt in Cruze's clothing??

Edmunds Moderator

http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/2008/12/november-hybrid-sales-plunge-as- -gas-prices-fall-credit-tightens.html
    Sales of hybrid cars and SUVs took a worse beating than the industry as a whole in November, plummeting 50 percent from a year earlier and off 24.8 percent from October

This is part of the reason I have trouble seeing the Volt as a savior for GM. I don't see throngs of people flocking to buy a $40,000 vehicle.

Now to look on the brighter side, the declaration that the recession started in Dec 2007 could be looked on as good news as the average length of a recession is about 14 months, putting us closer to turnaround times.

It doesn't take much to start the emotional pendulum swinging. If it starts being reported or projected that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel, the mindset of consumers will start to change. Will be interesting to see how specific GM's plans are as far as when they see a return to profitability.

Edmunds Moderator

I know they're saying that it's full steam ahead on the Volt, but doesn't reality slap them in the face and say that the first thing GM needs to do is get the business under control before they start making a $40,000 car that frankly is going to have limited appeal to the general car buying public?

Edmunds Moderator

• Limited appeal?

This could still be a significant number of customers.

While GM used information indicating that ~80% of people have a 40 mi. or less commute to work, does anyone have a more targeted criteria that might take into account how many folks might have access to a recharge station or how many might be be expected to have an income that would allow them to afford this vehicle.

I would speculate that a significant portion of the population live in apartments/condo's, without access to a plug, and without sufficient income to afford the vehicle. I think it's more likely that folks with sufficient funds and access to a plug (garage) probably have a longer commute, meaning that GM could increase it's target audience by having a greater electric only range battery as an option.
  • It isn't the perfect car. Prices will have to come down. I think if it and other ev types start hitting the streets you will see a move towards more charging options. It isn't likely to be the car for the average apartment dweller. But, if thins pick up, I could see incentives via the govt and market incentives for adding a charging station to your public parking lot, or private motel or apartment off street parking.

Maybe the next generation does have options for larger batteries. The trade-offs in cost for this probably don't work at the moment. Most families have two or more cars. If the option costs less than say $7k...it will probably make financial sense as well as foreign oil or greenie sense..

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16769