Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    mechyudamechyuda Member Posts: 8
    That could be the ABS pulsating. Try going into an open and safe parking lot. Then drive up to 30mph (or maybe even 50mph). Quickly brake hard by pushing the pedal all the way down to the floor and holding it. If that awkward vibration is recreated, then it is most likely the ABS kicking in -- you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe (auto)
    Original owner with warranty still active

During the winter of 2005, when my car gets really cold, I sometimes notice a rattling sound when I shut my doors or trunk. The rattle is not a sharp metallic sound. The rattle suddenly occurs and almost abruptly dies down -- no fading away.

When I drive the car or let it warm up, the rattle disappears. Which is really frustrating because everyime I drive to the dealership, I will not be able to recreate the sound. The dealership mechanics want to take apart parts under my car and probe around. I want to keep this as my last option.

I crawled under the car when it's cool and carefully knocked parts around with my hand to recreate the sound. Sometimes I could recreate it, sometimes I can't. I cannot fully fit under my car (I have no jack stands), so all I could tell is that the sound seems to come from between the rear axle and muffler.

Seeing how heat gets rid of the rattle, I am guessing that a baffle or internal part of the exhaust system is loose. Another possibility is some obscure suspension component that is loose.

Does any have any similar experiences, solutions, and/or advice concerning this issue? Is this issue normal and ignoreable?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Your 2003 vehicle does not have a 120,000 mile transmission (or any other component) warranty. Read the warranty information that came with your Owner's Manual for details.
  • Options
    gunavalkyriegunavalkyrie Member Posts: 24
    I bought it used in 03... :( thanks though.
  • Options
    crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Thanks. That is a good solution. Not sure I like the looks of them, though. I will check it out.
  • Options
    jimb15jimb15 Member Posts: 6
    I guess I wasn't clear... it looks like I might have to take out the ENTIRE large plastic form in the trunk that covers the wheel well and the tail light on the inside. That seems a bit wierd, so I am hoping someone has experience with it to confirm.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Is it your tag rattling against your trunklid? My 1996 has this problem occasionally. Just a thought, hope its a simple fix for you. :D

thegrad
  • Options
    Thanks for the help.

I am 100% sure it is not the "tag" (license plate) rattling against the trunk. My license plate rattle bugged my in the past and I sticked these scratch-free cushions behind them.

I crawled as deep as I could under my car (I don'thave jack stands) and had a friend shut the doors or trunk a few times.

The rattle comes somewhere around the rear axle and exhaust pipeline. It is audible even when I am sitting inside the car with doors closed. I knocked different things around and could recreate the sound, but localizing it was difficult.

I am starting to think this is just a insignificant, freak issue. The issue alarmed me 'cuz I had a Honda Accord LX for ~13 years and never heard of such a mysterious rattle.
  • Options
    hydrofairyhydrofairy Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an '06 Civic EX manual about 3 months ago....A few days ago the engine started to make a strange sound when the clutch pedal is depressed. It also makes this sound when you have to shift gears and today I heard the sound while I was driving. Anyone else experiencing this problem as well?
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yeah, I think you might have to do just that. It's not hard, really, just time consuming.
  • Options
    ford65ford65 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1987 civic dx hatchback. my brakes would give a grinding sound when braking.i replaced rotors,drums,pads,shoes.the clyinders were dry and i adjusted the rear brakes. but now when i stop the car still feels poor with a slight grind noise and a semi soft brake pedal. is it possible that the brake booster or master clyinder is going bad?
  • Options
    why is the price of a 3barrel carb for a 87 civic so expensive? I was priced at 250.oo for a rebuit installed. would anyone know of a cheaper shop
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's a GOOD price!

In fact, if you can find a NEW carb at close to that price, I'd do that. Rebuilds on old Honda carbs are not all that successful...but it can be done.

They are expensive because of supply and demand and because they are so devilishly tricky to do.
  • Options
    thank you , may you answer question 4670. also i was impressed with your bio. out of left field i have a 1966 0lds 98 convertible. where may i purchuse material correct for this vehicles interior. thank you
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Totally agree with you! The assembly line "rebuilts" scare me too. If the poster can find a GOOD Honda guy who can overhaul the one that's on the car now, that may be the best. Trouble is, all of the people who graduated from Vo-Tech schools in the last 15 years have no idea what a carburator even is!
  • Options
    e-mail me as this is off topic!
  • Options
    eddyheddyh Member Posts: 1
    Hi, my 2004 Civic has had about 2 inches or more of brake freeplay since driving off the lot. Back to dealer twice and he said it is just that way and there is nothing wrong. Had me drive another new one that did the same thing. Is this normal? I've got 2 more older honda's and the brakes work at the top of travel. Also when the 04's do grab, they REALLY grab, jerking the car. Anybody else have this problem? I can't believe that's the way they were designed. :confuse:

ed
  • Options
    aznazn Member Posts: 14
    can comeone answer me,
    i just got a performance camshaft for my 1.6L civic si. does my engine require any upgrades in order for my aftermarket camshaft to work properly? plus so far i have changed the following, cold air intake, header, and full exhaust i believe everything from air intake to exhaust is well balanced (correct me if im wrong) i am now thinking of changing my factory pulley system with a AEM pulley system or something, with the new pulley would there be anything say "unbalanced"? any help or repley would be very helpfull!!! thanks!
  • Options
    aznazn Member Posts: 14
    me again, small typo, my car is a 1.7L sohc with v-tec, NOT 1.6
  • Options
    obrien123obrien123 Member Posts: 1
    Help,
    I have had a head gasket replaced on my 95 Honda civic and now I have a check engine light. :sick: The head gasket left with a little smoking around where the oil goes and where the belts are on the right hand side is there anything I should look for out of the ordinary? Please help. Thanks
  • Options
    dalek3dalek3 Member Posts: 8
    My 2006 Civic nav radio gets popping, static, and other distortion on FM stations that I listen to. The popping sounds reminds me of ignition noise that you could get occasionally when cars had points. I'm in a rural area and the radio transmision antennas are between 25 and 40 miles away but line-of-site isn't blocked. As I get closer to the antennas, the popping and noises eventually disappear. AM, CD, XM, and Card are distortion free so it's related to the FM section of the radio, antenna, car wiring, ignition, or something along those lines.

These stations have never been a problem and come in perfectly clear and noise free on any other car radio, stereo receiver, or cheap $10 clock radio.

Is anyone experiencing anything like this? Have any dealers had complaints about this? Is the window antenna a potential source of the problem? Is it possible to reseat the antenna cable at the back of the unit without ripping the dash apart? Chances are, if I took it back to the dealer I bought the car at, the radio would be clear because they're about 25 miles closer to the station antennas than I am.

I'm a bit ticked that a unit with this price tag would have worse FM reception than a K-Mart clock radio. Any ideas?
  • Options
    bigtheobigtheo Member Posts: 1
    My front wiper motor only works on high, I have replaced the motor and it still does the same thing. Any advice would be most appreciated. I have an 95' Honda civic EX-coupe. Thanks!
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Maybe the switch?
  • Options
    crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Sorry to hear your radio's not right. So far, mine's okay. You might be able to get at the antenna cable through the glove box opening. I haven't tried, but I think you might be able to bend in the stops on the glove box and open it up completely. If so, it should be a short reach. Good luck.
  • Options
    tarboroheel1tarboroheel1 Member Posts: 12
    I have just bought a 2000 Civic LX that has the same thing going on. Everything with the steering seems to work good. No issues at all with the steering except that knocking noise that happens when turning the wheel from side to side either with the engine off or at very low speed. Wheel needs to be turned abruptly to hear the noise. I need to know if this is normal. Noise is originating from the steering rack, cause I jacked it up, went under and had someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while I checked under the car. I am usually very good at locating problems, but everything with the steering checks out ok except for the noise. Nothing is loose or worn with the steering section and everything works perfectly. I know, why am I complaining? well cause this car is new to me and I really want to know if this noise is normal. Everything on the car seems to have been kept op maintenancewise.
  • Options
    bige3fiddybige3fiddy Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 06 Civic LX and I Love the car, then the first snow came and the rear-end started wobbling from side to side. Then on ice it was completally out of control. I've been driving over 25 years and put over 100 miles a day on my car and I don't understand this Problem. I spoke to the Dealer Service Manager and he said that three things cause this: the car is made light to get good gas mileage and second It has low profile tires on it 205/55/16 and third the front wheel width is slightly wider then the rear. I don't buy any of this and I wondered if anybody else has had a similar problem.
  • Options
    sheldo1sheldo1 Member Posts: 64
    I too have a 2006 Civic and one thing I have been impressed with is how well it tracks in snow. I don't know what could cause your problem but I don't think it is on all cars. I would push the dealer again. Perhaps a drive with the service manager during the next snow would help.
  • Options
    mayorcoolmayorcool Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 97 delSol since mid 1999 with no real problems whatsoever...it's been a great car. Reciently however, I've noticed that the car is suddenly a lot louder than it used to be. It almost sounds like I put on one of those lawnmower exhaust systems. It's clearly louder both inside and outside the car, but performance is unchanged. Do you think something my have come loose on the exhaust system or am I just overdue a tune-up or what?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Sure sounds like an exhaust problem.
  • Options
    slawenda1slawenda1 Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased a 2006 Civic EX Sedan with navigation, and overall am very happy. However, we opted for the XM radio kit and installation (remember car is "XM-Ready", not factory installed). To my shock and utter dissatisfaction, I discovered that the standard American Honda installation dictates that the XM antenna be installed in the interior, on the front windshield! To be more specific, it is installed on the upper right hand corner of the windshield (passenger side). First off, it is directly in the passenger's field of view, and it is bulky and ugly. Further, it is definitely in field of view of the driver, and in theory could block or hinder the driver's field of view at certain angles. Thirdly, as a fan and enthusiast of satellite radio, I have never seen the antenna on a satellite radio installed on the front windshield, no less the interior! What's even more frustrating is that on the 2-door Civic with navigation(coupe), the XM antenna is factory installed on the roof, and is color-coded to match the paint of your car. I paid more than $700 to have an ugly, obstructing antenna, when if I had purchased the coupe, it would have been cleanly installed for no additional cost. Lastly, and even more important, the installation is ILLEGAL in several states, including the state of California, where I live! You are only allowed to drive with stickers or objects of certain size in the LOWER corners of the windshield, not the UPPER! I called my local Sheriff department, and an officer confirmed to me that this is ILLEGAL!!! What is going on here? My dealer is "looking into it". I'll let you guys know...
  • Options
    qddaveqddave Member Posts: 164
    Have you checked the tire pressure? Even a few psi will greatly affect traction.
  • Options
    I have a 2004 Honda Civic EX with AT (auto trans)

No, my brakes do NOT have 2 inches of freeplay. It gently brakes as soon as I press the brake pedal. As I press the brakes deeper, my braking feel is smooth - no jerks or sudden "grabs" that slow down my car. It is progressive throughout the whole prcoess.

However, my transmission sometimes downshifts when I break on a hill, which does cause a gentle jerk as the downshift helps slow down the car. This downshift is commonly reported on Edmunds.com review of the 2001-2005 Honda Civc, as well as other car review sites, so if this is what you are talking about, then the jerk is normal.
  • Options
    mkellermkeller Member Posts: 1
    I JUST GOT IT AND NOW IT WILL NOT START IT IS FIRST HONDA I EVER HAD. IT DOESN'T WANT TO START .IT SEEMS LIKE IT ISN'T GETTING FUEL, I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK FOR FUEL PUMP AND FILTER COULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHERE IT COULD BE. THANK YOU,MKELLER :confuse:
  • Options
    mkeller,

If I were you, and owned a fifteen-year-old vehicle, I would have a competent mechanic diagnose the problem. I would also have him inspect the entire vehicle to see what other work might be necessary.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Incidentally, typing in all upper-case is considered shouting here.
  • Options
    05civicwarning05civicwarning Member Posts: 12
    Complaints Summary

Make: HONDA
    Model: CIVIC
    Type: PASSENGER CAR
    Year: 2005
    Complaint Number: 10129820
    Summary:
    MY DAUGHTER WAS DRIVING HER STANDARD NEW HONDA CIVIC 2005 HOME FROM THE DEALER ON MAY 9TH. SHE HAD 60 MILES ON THE CAR AND WAS CRUISING IN 4TH SPEED AT 45 MILES AN HOUR ON I5 SOUTH IN THE SEATTLE AREA WHEN THE CAR CAME INSTANTLY TO ALMOST A COMPLETE HALT CAUSING AN INTENSE JERKING OF THE CAR. SHE WAS ABLE TO SHIFT TO NEUTRAL AND COAST TO THE SHOULDER WITH WHAT MINIMUM MOMENTUM SHE HAD LEFT. AS THERE WAS NO IMPACT THE AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY WHICH MOST LIKELY INTENSIFIED THE NATURE OF HER INJURY. CURRENTLY HER RADIOLOGY REPORT STATES SHE HAS A FRACTURE OF THE T-11 VERTEBRAE AND TO DATE SHE IS UNABLE TO SIT, THEREFORE DRIVE, WORK, OR FINISH HER COLLEGE PROGRAM. HONDA HAS DIAGNOSED THE CLUTCH AS DESTROYED AND SAYS THAT SHE MUST HAVE INTENTIONALLY DOWNSHIFTED FROM 5TH TO 1ST GEAR WHILE TRAVELING AT 45 MPH AND DESTROYED THE CLUTCH HERSELF. THEREFORE THEY ARE TAKING NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE VEHICLE. MY HUSBAND AND I ARE CURRENTLY TRYING TO DECIDE WHETHER TO HAVE THE CLUTCH REPLACED OR JUST HAVE THE TRANSMISSION PUT BACK IN AND EITHER WAY TOW TO CAR TO MY DAUGHTER'S CONDO AND WAIT OUT OUR NEXT MOVE. HONDA IS CHARGING US $500.00 JUST TO PUT THE CAR BACK TOGETHER AND THE TOW WILL BE OVER $200.00 BUT IF WE LEAVE IT AT THE DEALER IT IS $50.00 PER DAY. OUR SERVICE ENGINEER HAS THE DESTROYED CLUTCH STORED IN EVIDENCE. THESE 2 YOUNG PEOPLE WILL NEVER DRIVE THE CAR AGAIN EVEN IF THE CAR IS REPAIRED. SHE DIDN'T SHIFT AT ALL AT THE TIME OF THE INCIDENT AND COULD HAVE EASILY BEEN IMPACTED AND INJURED EVEN MORE. SO WE HAVE A NEW CAR NO ONE WILL DRIVE AND SO FAR 2 ATTORNEY'S HAVE REFUSED TO TAKE THE CASE.

Do Your Homework before giving advice. The 2005 Transmission is a DEATH TRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lemon:
  • Options
    YESComplaints Summary

Make: HONDA
    Model: CIVIC
    Type: PASSENGER CAR
    Year: 2005
    Complaint Number: 10143164
    Summary:
    WHILE I WAS DRIVING ON THE STREET, THE AXLE/SPINDLE TO THE RIGHT FRONT WHEEL/TIRE OF MY VEHICLE BROKE. THEREFORE I LOST CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE AND I HIT TWO PACKED VEHICLES. *JB

:lemon: Every "expert" on this problem needs to do their homework. before giving incorrect facts!!!!!! :lemon: I Did! This is the third crash. Here is another one.
  • Options
    Go to the sihttp://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm :lemon: te. This is the third crash!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your daughter. But from reading your story and the evidence (broken clutch), it does appear that the vehicle was abruptly down-shifted, either by the car or accidentally by the driver. I don't know the gear layout but could she accidentally have shifted in to 1st when she meant 5th gear?

I would get the car fixed and then if your daughter can't or won't drive it, sell it for what you can. I wish your family the best.
  • Options
    05civicwarning,

Your original post #4614, based upon your description of the event, implied that your wife was driving an automatic transmission vehicle. Perhaps, as you wrote in post #4695, "Do Your Homework before giving advice. The 2005 Transmission is a DEATH TRAP" you should do YOUR homework. The vehicle in that singular "complaint" has a manual transmission, totally unrelated to any automatic transmission that may have been in your vehicle.

I am compelled to reiterate, as I wrote in post #4627, that "You will not find a single report of such a transmission complaint with 2005 Civics." Please keep your facts straight.
  • Options
    05civicwarning,

Your post #4614, complained about a transmission problem. Why then does your new post #4696 cite another owner's unrelated May 9, 2005 concern about their axle/spindle? Please keep your facts straight.
  • Options
    mikefm58,

05civicwarning was not saying that the May 9, 2005 broken clutch accident had anything to do with his daughter. His original post #4614 was about an automatic transmission mishap apparently recently experienced by his wife.
  • Options
    Whoops......my bad......
  • Options
    This board is primarily to list problems and seek solutions. If you have a persistent, unsolvable issue with a dealer or Honda, you really should be posting at the NHTSA site, writing to the dealer or Home Office (District Office) or consulting an attorney. Edmunds has no influence over manufacturers. We like to provide inter-active dialogue for people with solvable, non-legal issues.

thanks,

Host
  • Options
    vix4vix4 Member Posts: 52
    did anyone catch the ABC new story on the defective Honda transmissions? The problem sounded similar to what was posted above but the ABC News angle was that Honda has been refusing to honor the warranty for Honda cars from Canada, eventhought every other manufacturer does honor the warranty.

They highlighted the story of a lady who had owned Hondas for 11 years and told how Honda refuses to fix a safety defect witht he transmission. Honda told her she is responsible for all the costs.
  • Options
    Any links to the story? I searched abcnews.com but couldn't find anything.
  • Options
    sheldo1sheldo1 Member Posts: 64
  • Options
    Thx for the link.....shame on Honda......
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    So, these are unofficial grey market Hondas or just Hondas that were manufactured in Canada? Many manufacturers of all different types of items don't warrantee grey market items. It said below she knew Honda was not obligated to warrantee the vehicle. If it is a grey market vehicle, shame on her.... Also, shame on that Honda dealer....
  • Options
    She bought it in Canada, didn't say why or if she just simply moved to the US. But it seems that Honda won't honor the warranty for Canadian bought vehicles that end up in the US. Even if the problem is a known issue with her particular model.

Hmmmm, wonder why Honda does this? Maybe Canadian Hondas are sold to dealers cheaper than to US dealers and Honda is trying to stop Canadian dealers from selling to US buyers by not honoring the warranty? Seems pretty harsh to me.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    The article says she bought it in Maryland. It looks like the dealer bought it cheaper in Canada and sold it in the US. If so, Honda needs to penalize that dealership.

It sounds like they told her about the lack of warranty, so it sounds more like bad luck and bad judgment to me. Since they paid to bring it here from Canada with risk, the two ought to get together and take it back to Canada for its warranty work.
This discussion has been closed.