Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GM News, New Models and Market Share

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,386
    Lots of "you's" in that answer. Getting personal?
    >you are willing
    >your previous comments here
    >real issue for you
    >been GM you probably

If you read my post, it was clear that it's the high price per job and the fact that while a couple people here perpetually kvetch about GM's have been helped by the government, as have many, many foreign companies, and now one more large foreign company, they ignore all the past help and protection of some foreign companies by their governments.

>Had the recipient been GM you probably wouldn't have posted the comment at all.

I'd recommend not trying to guess what I would do and posting in a personal way.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 5,156
    Even the MPV sold in higher volumes.

I have never seen an ad for the Mazda 5. Perhaps they'd sell more if they promoted it.

It was my understanding that it's mainly a vehicle for other markets and they only have a little excess capacity, so they brought it to the states and apparently are just getting a bit more profit as they can without spending any advertising dollars.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 5,156
    In the High End Family Sedan category, the Accord came in third while the Malibu was way down at number 10 behind 2 Toyotas, Honda, Hyundai, Subaru, Nissan, Kia and 2 VWs.

There goes that biased CR again! ;) :P
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    edited January 2013
    Lol...

You're the one that seems to always take comments personally.

And, one would have to be pretty much out of it to not know what you were implying in your comments.

You can decide to take it personally, but my comments were nothing more than an observation, based upon prior comments you have made here.

Whatever, dude...
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 9,753
    There goes that biased CR again!

Read my post about the couple of relevant things that xrunner2 left out about the article. He's been taking lessons from circlew! LOL
    If OnStar had been invented by anyone other than GM, it would be heralded here as a great invention, but in today's local paper it showed a late-model Chrysler Sebring on its roof in a creekbed. The driver said she hit 'black ice' and went off the road near a bridge. She waited an hour before a passerby stopped and took her for medical attention. She had hypothermia, supposedly, but further info wasn't available. Here's a classic case where OnStar would've been a big help. I don't have it on my Cobalt (I'm too cheap), but you can be sure my wife's Malibu has it.
    Just changing the title of the post since xrunner2 left this very pertinent information out of his post.
    Just changing the title of the post since xrunner2 left this very pertinent information out of his post.

Also left out that the Sonata Hybrid wasn't recommended because of its much-worse-than-average reliability record.
    Someone posted here a while back that they hated Chevy's gold bowtie emblem.

I rather like it, and it has a 100-year-heritage.

Today at Sheetz (convenience store), I was reminded how I, personally, think the Honda "H" emblem looks like a three-year old designed it. Obviously one doesn't not buy a car for this reason, but I hate the looks of that emblem. Conversely, the Hyundai "H" is rather stylish, I think.

IMHO, the worst-looking emblem is Subaru's. Looks like something one could buy in the two-for-a-dollar store. It's big, too.

I'm not a Ford guy, but I like Ford's blue oval. Long heritage, and the script is a reproduction of old Henry's signature.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,619
    This holds more weight afaic! ;)

Last Place - Chevy Malibu

Go VW!! :P

Regards,
    OW
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,386
    edited January 2013
    It was on our 03 and it's on the Cobalt which is now getting an education at OSU. Couple months back son called after returning from a business trip on Saturday. He had locked his keys inside at the apartment. He called me instead of OnStar. I called, gave them the code number, and the car was unlocked within 5 minutes. Much better than a drive to Columbus to open the car.

>If OnStar had been invented by anyone other than GM

I completely agree. The bias against anything GM permeats the attitudes of some people.

As I've been looking at the current car crop, I laugh about the shrinking of the rear seat legroom in the Malibu with the platform change: if that had come from Honda or toyota, it would be praised as a feature and as forward thinking. It would be mitigated as a negative for a fraction of the folks by pointing out that most of the time the vehicle is driven with 1 or maybe 2 people in the front seat and rarely with anyone other than children in the back seat.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

edited January 2013
    Last place--Chevrolet Malibu ECO.

So you're saying that C&D, which accepts advertising money from manufacturers, is more balanced than CR? Come on, now, I'm pretty sure that's not what I've heard here recently!

The CR review is more recent, and not of the Eco...but you know that.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,040
    edited January 2013
    I agree with Uplander, that that test wasn't totally fair using the Malibu Eco. However, I don't fault C&D, as that's all that was out at the time.

It sort of reminds me of way back in 1980, when MT or C&D did a luxury car comparison and they pitted a Seville, Mark VI, and New Yorker 5th Ave against each other. In performance, the 5th Ave was grossly outclassed, as it only had a 120 hp 318, compared to a Caddy 368 that had around 150 hp, and a Ford 351W that probably had about 140, not to mention a lot of extra torque from those additional cubes.

The Caddy did 0-60 in about 10.5 seconds, quite respectable for the time. The Lincoln managed 10.9. The poor Chrysler came in a distant third, at 14.1.

That year, you could get an optional 360 in the Chrysler that put out 130 hp in 2-bbl form, or 180-185 in 4-bbl. Or in California/high altitude areas, there was a 318-4bbl with 155 hp. Any of those would have been a better match in this comparison.

However, the vast majority of Chrysler New Yorkers came with the 318-2bbl, so I wonder if it was fairer to compare these cars as they'd most commonly be equipped, versus making the engines more comparable? The 360-2bbl was very rarely ordered, and the 4-bbl isn't even listed in the sales brochure. It was mainly a police car engine, and had to be special-ordered.

But, IIRC, the Olds Diesel was actually the standard engine in the Seville, with the Caddy 368 (or Olds 350 gas) being a no-cost option? Most of them came with the gasoline engines though (although enough Diesels were ordered to do some serious damage to their reputation) Anyway, the test was definitely stacked against the Chrysler, but I don't know if I can really fault the reviewer.

In the case of this Malibu Eco, I think they should have just waited until the gasoline version came out to put it in a comparison test. The Eco should be tested with hybrids IMO...only problem there though, against dedicated hybrids like the Camry, it would probably fall even further behind. :sick:

I wonder if the Buick Regal would have done better in that comparison test, as it's essentially the same car underneath as the Malibu. Maybe its base price is too high to be competitive though?
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    There isn't a single logo with more history than Subaru's. Not one. You see, Subaru's logo is the Pleiades star cluster. I'll take that over a bow tie any day. ;)

Ford's logo is simple and very direct, I like that one too. I happen to like Caddy's emblem, even if it is a bit busy.
    just correcting the post based on new source information. :shades:
    I happen to think OnStar is an excellent invention and service, with a great value add. It's obviously successful enough that Toyota and VW contracted with them for service for a while, and Hyundai blatantly copied it with BlueLink.

The problem has generally been the cars that OnStar is available on, not OnStar itself. Remember, GM is a car company, not an OnStar company.
    My correction was based on something. Yours is based on nothing.
    Good points, andre.

Concerning the Regal, I've liked the looks when I 've seen them, but they look so small from the rear IMHO. I've not looked at one in a dealership though.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I have not experienced OnStar but just this week I posted a link to how UConnect won an award for its interface, which I do like.

We should judge based on merit, not by the label of the manufacturer, and that's what I do.
    You'll have to admit, you're not seeing a whole lot of that on here, are you? ;)
    I've always felt that a logo should have an image or icon, not letters, so I don't like Ford's or the H from Honda and Hyundai.

Chevy's bow tie is just fine, much better than "GMC", IMHO.
    edited January 2013
    Speaking of 'unfair or not', CR also tested the Avenger, but they had it down to 43 points to the Malibu's 83.

Actually, if I hadn't heard anything bad about the Avenger's reliability from people, and the cost was low, it wouldn't keep me from buying one if I wanted one. The shape of the rear door would though. ;)

Last time I looked at one at an auto show (several years ago), I was pleasantly surprised at its U.S. assembly point and very high 'domestic' content.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,721
    It's peak summer heat there so I'm sure that's the case. She's a lawyer so she drives in to town a lot, kids to school, short errands, etc. YMMV but she likely has the worst commute to get decent MPGs.

When I drive in that type of environment in my Expedition, I'm lucky to average 10mpg. No way will a Suburban get close to 15 in that environment.
    Avenger was the lamest car in that class.

It did improve when they added the Pentastar engine and the new 6EAT but CR may have tested one without that powertrain, or perhaps before the improvements happened. Back page has an index with the month and year each car was last tested for reference.

Even Chrysler fans agree, look at the uptick in sales with the recent improvements. Dodge sales were up 26% for 2012.

When you build cars that no longer suck, consumers flock to dealers. To be brutally honest I think the Avenger is still very weak, and needs a ground up redesign. I'm sure the next one will be a vast improvement.
    GMC's logo is a cop-out, Kia is just as bad.
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, Kia's sucks.

I like Audi's four rings. Classy and historically meaningful.

I also like Subaru's, and there's a secret handshake, if you will: the hood latch release aligns with the right-most start in the Pleiades constellation. So the emblem actually serves a hidden function. Now that's cool design. :shades:

VW's logo opens the hatch of a GTI, but I don't like that it's just letters.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,721
    edited January 2013
    Remember, GM is a car company, not an OnStar company.

True, and Onstar did nothing to improve the lousy GM car's I've owned and certainly doesn't attract me to a GM vehicle. I have to like the vehicle first.

Though it would be highly unlikely I'd be willing to pay extra for Onstar as I never was compelled to pay for it in the past.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/10/gm-isuzu-planning-new-truck-development/

Maybe GM will just use Isuzu to distribute pickups for them? Strange.
    http://www.totalcarscore.com/car-reviews/road-tests/spy-shots-2014-cadillac-cts-- v

The rest of the market seems to be downsizing and adding forced induction, but I wonder if this is the right move for Cadillac.
    All I'm saying is, I bet that local woman in her Sebring wished she'd had OnStar.