Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zaino Car Care Experiences

Comments

• tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,204
    Considering the car was just washed, etc., and asuming it's not really dirty, I'd go with #2 since time is important. After dusting, might use Z6 to get anything the duster missed, then Z2 away, with or without ZFX.
  • Actually, that was what I was going to do.
    But, lo & behold, I got "honeydewed" into another project.

The Z6 to catch what the duster missed did not x my mind.

Thanx for the tip

I will use it in the future
  • For more bite to knock down scratches & swirls, would anyone recommend a wool bonnet over a cotton one?
  • I have a 05 Avalon Pearl White. I have been using Mothers and others off the self waxes. Not happy with the results.
    Looking at Zaino. What products do I need for pearl white clear coat?
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    You using a Porter Cable orbital, or a rotary buffer?

This is common (wool being the most aggressive), but, in general, it's a good idea to start with the least aggressive and go more as needed.

I'm using the foam Porter Cable pads from Tropi-Care, http://www.tropi-care.com (can't directly link to their Porter Cable accessories). It's worked great on just about everything I've tried it with...

--Robert
  • hammen2hammen2 Posts: 1,313
    Any of the products will work fine with the pearl white paint (I know this from experience, as my mother-in-law still has her pearl '98 Aurora).

You need the "basic" Zaino set of:
    ZFX activator
    Z-2 Pro polish
    Z-5 Pro polish and swirl mark reducer (use only if you have swirls in your paint, otherwise skip it and just use the Z-2)
    Z-6 quick detailer
    Z-7 wash

If you haven't clay-barred your car recently, the Z-18 clay kit (or equivalent) is highly recommended.

Other products you might consider would be the Z-9 leather cleaner and Z-10 leather conditioner, and the Z-16 tire gloss (which I also use on exterior and interior black plastic trim - works great/offers UV protection).

http://www.zainostore.com or call up Zaino and see if there is a local distributor in your area...

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • Yes, a rotary buffer. I've tried foam and cotton, but I need more bite. I think I'll try wool and then finish with cotton. Thanks
  • Spent the second half of Saturday and most of the day Sunday with my new Zaino Kit. It was raining and very humid and I thought the stuff would never dry on Sunday. Car looks good and I like the shine, but I have a question about Z5. I have a black 06 Avalon which naturally has swirl marks and some light scratches. I have 3 coats of Z5 and 2 of Z2 on it and I think if I really use my imagination the swirl marks look somewhat better. Is it unrealistic to expect a dramatic difference? How many Z5 applications will it take to be noticeable? Thanks.
  • First of all, thanks for the quick response, I have been reading alot about Zaino. But one questions comes to mind. The basic kit; how long with it last. How many cost can I apply to my car before I need to place another order?
  • bretfrazbretfraz Posts: 2,021
    Wool pad + rotary polisher = high risk activity unless you're well experienced with the combo.

I dunno..... I've got lots of hours with rotaries (I own three of them) and I wouldn't use a wool pad unless there were no other choices. With the massive number of quality foam pads on the market, wool is almost obsolete IMO. And modern clearcoats do not like the high surface temps generated by a wool pad. I hope you have an IR thermometer handy.
  • Hi Zaino freaks.
    I spent most of the day yesterday reading the majority of the previous posts in here. Thankfully it was raining and I didn't have to feel bad doing so. I just bought my first new car but can't afford the full Zaino system right now (maybe I'll ask for it for x-mas). Problem is I need to protect my new baby over the coming harsh winter months in MN. Any suggestions? I'm not too concerned with shine and look at this point I just want to use something that will last through the winter. I know from reading that next spring when I use the full Z system it'll look dreamy.
    And another question...any good tips for removing those darned dealer decals? (dummy me forgot to tell the dealer to leave it off) I know of a few but am always up to read about new techniques.
    Hopefully someday I can be a Z freak too! Hehe.
  • I have already Z'ed my sled

Now, I am getting the clear bra ..(yes, I Z'ed B4 I am havingthe bra installed)

My big ?? - do I need to Z the bra???

Should I Z the bra?

What else do I need to do?
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,204
    All you really need to get through the winter is ZFX and Z2. You're looking at less than $44.00 (ZFX 20, Z2 15, S&H 9). If you can't afford that.......
  • bretfrazbretfraz Posts: 2,021
    Yes, Z the bra. I've spoken with mfr and installers of clear bras and Zaino works just fine on them.
  • Black is a never-ending battle with swirls & scratches. It seems like once you have them removed, more take their places.
  • Step 1. wool pad with a mild polish
    Step 2. cotton pad with mild polish
    Step 3. z2
    step 4. z6

=

Unbelievably brilliant!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,096
    I put what is probably the final coat of Z2 for '06 on my '05 Abyss Blue Acura TL on Sunday. Since then I've had three different people ask if I've bought another new car!

Well, it might be warm enough again this fall for another coat or two... :)

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• Interesting observation. I ran out of zaino, so I decided to hit one of my panels with Ultra Gloss to compare. Call me a junkie. I striped the zaino off with a chemical cleaner and then applied Ultra Gloss.

Results:

Zaino and Ultra Gloss had comparable shine, gloss & wet look.

The only advantage for Zaino was the 3-dimensional look & longevity. I'm sure Ultra Gloss will wear off sooner.

The advantage for Ultra Gloss was the super ease of application & removal. I mean, you might as well wax with Ultra Gloss as to use a detail spray between washes. Yea, Ultra is that fast to apply & remove. Secondly, Ultra is cheaper, more readily available & simpler to use (no mixing with accelator, etc..). Thridly, Ultra concealed minor swirls and scratches better.

End Result:

Since I love maintaining my car and I don't mind applying wax frequently, Ultra will be my choice. Zaino takes too long to apply and remove (drying time) & you can forget about using it in the winter months, as it will never dry.

Any thoughts welcome. I'm sure I have hit a nerve. :sick:
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 18,387
    Well for sure to each their own! I am having trouble understanding why you think Zaino is harder to apply than Ultra Gloss. Essentially the procedure is EXACTLY the same. The only difference is on Zaino, you take a break period to WAIT 15 to 30 mins for it to dry. Since I have 5 cars, with three of them out in the elements 24/7, the Zaino 6 mo cycle is a heaven sent. Even when I follow that cycle 3 cars x every six mo is still 6x per year! Now even that is too much like work. I'd by lying to you if I said I would not be happy with a once a year Zaino product! :) Since you know the recommended cycle for ultra gloss perhaps you could do my yearly projection, or post it so I can do the math. All the best.
  • Thanks for making my point. That's just it, Ultra is a wipe on, wipe off product. By the time I finish applying Ultra to a panel or hood, it's ready to remove (without hardly any effort to remove). That is just as quick as a spray detailer. On the other hand, you wipe on Zaino and come back in an hour (especially in the winter). That is hardly convenient. And it requires a little effort to remove.

However, since you don't like to wax often, Zaino probably works better for your situation.

For me, I wash weekly (winter & summer) and I want that "pop" everyday. Ultra just gave it to me. ;) It's as simple as a quick spray detailer. It can be layered too!
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 18,387
    Ah instant gratification? For sure, the longer the better!!If I washed/waxed weekly that would be 260 a year or 22 per month. :( :)
  • justg0justg0 Posts: 70
    I just got a new 2007 Acura MDX. After looking at various options, I am thinking of going with Zaino (over Meguiars which was my second) products to protect/maintain the SUV's appearance. My question is can I do the Zaino recommended cycle in 30 - 40 F weather? I am in the Seattle area and for the next few months its either rain or cold :( The other option I have is to take the car to a detail shop and get a hand wash with wax/paint sealant and start the Zaino cycle in summer. Would appreciate any input that I get.
  • It would be tough, as Zaino doesn't dry very well in cold weather. This is one of the reasons that I switched. I don't mind waxing every month so I use NXT as my base sealant and then maintain it with Ultra Gloss. This gives a look equal to Zaino, but more user friendly.
  • Zaino just released a new product that might solve our problem:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Z-CS

Wipe on, and walk away.

Anyone tried it yet?
  • mdamesmdames Posts: 79
    I applied the Z-CS to my car this past Saturday. My car is new. I got it in November 2006. I used Z2 with FX accelerator on it at that time. On Saturday (about 3 months later) I applied Z-CS (by itself) on the paint. Without question, this stuff works. It gave me an amazing shine. I am very impressed with it. Having said that, there is no way this can be done in 5 minutes, as the literature states. You need to do a 18 to 24 square inch section at a time. This takes more than 5 minutes. It took me about 30 minutes to cover the entire vehicle. I have a Lexus ES350. So it's a full size car. It went on fairly easily. However, you have to put it on VERY VERY sparingly, much less than you think you need to cover the area. If you put on a little too much, you'll end up with a hazy film. Fortunately, this came off easily with some Z-6 detailing spray, and shined up spectacularly. It took about 20 minutes to dry on a very warm, dry day in Southern California. I loved not having to do any more than just apply the product. No wiping or buffing. I estimate that I'll get 25 to 30 uses out of the bottle. That's about $1.00 per use. I give this a big thumbs up.
    As a follow up to my post of the 19th, it rained here on Monday. After it cleared and my car dried, you'd have thought I just washed and polished it. It was not dirty or spotted. It looked as good as when I applied the Z-CS on Saturday. This stuff is great!
  • Did it add more gloss & depth? Does it conceal spider-webbing?
    In my opinion, it did add gloss and depth. I'm not aware of anything that will conceal spider webbing. My car is a dark ruby color. So it does have spider webbing.
  • Yea, I hate the look of spider-webs. I have obsidian black and the only way to get rid of them is to polish them out -- which I do. I use 3M Foam Polish for Dark Colors (Professional Formula). The stuff is awesome.
  • Thank you for offering a fellow member detailing advice and for recommending Autopia Car Care as a source for great detailing supplies. We are available as a resource to your community to answer any questions you may have in regards to proper car care.

I would like to recommend our How-to Detailing Library. Currently we have more than 20 information packed articles on everything from polishing with a polisher to fixing scratched rims. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Again thank you for the recognition!
    The Autopia Car Care Team