Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rental Car Experiences?

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 56,730
    Thought of that but maybe what I'll do is call corporate and ask them to contact me if they get a lost and found request. We are talking $200+ glasses here.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• berriberri Posts: 7,380
    $200+ - is that a felony charge ;)
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 4,076
    The last 3 years, we have gotten about 50 Civics and Accords as Hertz rentals from the Honda store where we have a kiosk. My group has been the ones to bring the new cars down from the 5 story parking garage to the ground floor to be cleaned and prepped to go into service. Always enjoy those days as I get to drive new vehicles with 4 or 5 miles on them. Just love that new car smell to be honest. EVen today, had to move about 40 vehicles up to the 5th floor of the parking garage since Honda is having a big sale this weekend. There were only 2 of us drivers plus the lead, so drove a bunch of vehicles upstairs, a lot of new Civics also.
    Come Monday morning, we'll have to go back and bring many of them back down to be rented. But we'll have a larger crew to do it with.

The Sandman :) B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Seldom see a Honda rental. Do you work out of MIA or FLL?
  • js06gvjs06gv Frisco, TXPosts: 425
    I got tired of getting mediocre miled up rentals from Hertz for business use so I signed up for our corporate rate with National's emerald aisle. Used it for the first time today and chose a new Buick Envision with 1,400 miles. Very nice ride, great size, comfortable and smooth but man this thing needs more motor. The first year Envision was only available with the base corporate 2.5L, while the 18s have the option of a turbo mill. I had a 3.5 hour trek from Portland to a resort in the sticks, and the car struggled in the mountains. On a straight line it was fine, but adequate at best. I'd definitely rent another with a 2.0L turbo.

2016 Kia Optima SX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,067
    js06gv said:

I got tired of getting mediocre miled up rentals from Hertz for business use so I signed up for our corporate rate with National's emerald aisle. Used it for the first time today and chose a new Buick Envision with 1,400 miles.

At least it had cruise control.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 5,904
    js06gv said:

I got tired of getting mediocre miled up rentals from Hertz for business use so I signed up for our corporate rate with National's emerald aisle. Used it for the first time today and chose a new Buick Envision with 1,400 miles. Very nice ride, great size, comfortable and smooth but man this thing needs more motor. The first year Envision was only available with the base corporate 2.5L, while the 18s have the option of a turbo mill. I had a 3.5 hour trek from Portland to a resort in the sticks, and the car struggled in the mountains. On a straight line it was fine, but adequate at best. I'd definitely rent another with a 2.0L turbo.

I didn't realize the base engine on those was the 2.5. I agree it is not enough for something like that. I must admit that the design of the Envision leaves me cold. Every one I see on the local dealer lot (and they usually only have one in stock) just looks dull and generically boring to me. Too bad because if done a bit better I can see it doing well - it might have even been on my short list - but not as it currently is.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

The Envision is made in China and so I'm guessing the engine is geared to Chinese preferences or tax/law structure.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 2,812
    I don't think so.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited June 29
    Here's the charts for the torque and horsepower. Looks like an engine that likes to rev up and produces power at 4000 or so. The transmission and powertrain computers probably try to keep it in higher gears for economy ratings.

Suydam - the Buick Envision is a Chinese product imported into the US. You may be confusing it with the Enclave which is NA produced.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 2,812
    No, I wasn't disputing its origin meant that I doubt it is imported here the way it is for "Chinese Tastes". All vehicles have regional differences tailored for their market.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    edited June 30
    The 2.5 in an Envision with a 6-speed is probably good for most of the drivers in most of the country. But for steeper grades, I'd think it needs more gears than the 6-speed or needs the 2.0T for more power.

I noted that there's a 7-speed dual clutch but that must be only in China. Even the 2.0T has the 6-speed. If it's the same as the 6-speed in my Malibu, the two top gears are both like over drives. Hitting 4th gear means serious revving at higher speeds.

• fintailfintail Posts: 40,931
    That does seem like kind of a lukewarm mill for such a heavy vehicle. It appears to put out the same hp as my Bluetec, but half the torque. The economy on hilly roads probably isn't so hot, either.
    suydam said:

No, I wasn't disputing its origin meant that I doubt it is imported here the way it is for "Chinese Tastes". All vehicles have regional differences tailored for their market.

I agree the engine choice has nothing to do with a China build. The 2.5 has been a popular engine to put in lots of cars lately, whether adequate or not. In a Malibu I don't question it. But once you start talking Impala, Envision and ATS I think it's a stretch. And I know the ATS is a similar size to the Malibu; I just think a Cadillac is more deserving of a motor that doesn't sound like it belongs in a Malibu.

2016 Kia Optima SX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

fintail said:

That does seem like kind of a lukewarm mill for such a heavy vehicle. It appears to put out the same hp as my Bluetec, but half the torque. The economy on hilly roads probably isn't so hot, either.

I'm getting a hair over 25 mpg over 200 miles.

I work in southwest Broward County and we go to MIA and FLL mostly. But we've also gone up to the West Palm Beach airport to pick up vehicles and the airport over in Ft. Myers. But we mostly go between Miami and Lauderdale to service our local HLE offices. Has been very busy but today was the first "light" day we've had...I even got off at 5:15 instead of the usual 6 or 6:30 we normally work till. But I was tired and my back was hurting so just asked the boss if I could go and he said sure. I hardly use my bad spine as an excuse so when I tell him I'm in pain, he knows I'm not kidding and let's me go home to rest. And I think it's because I always show up unlike some of our other employees. And if I need to swap a day, I give them plenty of notice so they won't be short handed. Just try to be a good employee and he knows that.
    But as I was telling the other half, I'm tired and will finish out 2017 but not sure how long I'll go in 2018. I just do not know!

The Sandman :( B)

2015 Audi A3 (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1) / 2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

Well Sandman you don't need to decide right now, so take 'er easy
    That's the best part really. Was so dog tired yesterday, left at 5:15 and if asked, would've said goodbye forever. But woke up today, and felt that staying on till the end of 2017 will be the plan for now. Come December, I can decide if I want to plow ahead into 2018. And that's the beauty of this job, I can leave whenever I want to. There are pros and cons but for now, the pros outweigh the cons so Monday morning, I'll go into work and be happy to have Tuesday off. Working the every other day schedule seems to work best for my bad spine but having those two days off back to back are great.

The Sandman :) B)

• tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,794
    Currently in Corsica. Rental in possession is as follows:

It's almost made for here...

15.5 XC70 T6 / 16 Soul EV - solar powered

tifighter said:

I had a good time in Corsica. Interesting place. The people certainly aren't French, and not quite Italian. Driving there can be a challenge up in the mountains. I did it in a Golf and it was just fine.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 5,904
    tifighter said:

Looks like you're driving on the sidewalk too. Well done. ;)

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Now we all know the only car to drive in Corsica is this:

Extra points if the rare and somewhat Euro style 5 door.
    ab348 said:

Looks like you're driving on the sidewalk too. Well done. ;)

Driving on the sidewalk here wouldn't cause anyone to look up from their cappuccino.

I had a good time in Corsica. Interesting place. The people certainly aren't French, and not quite Italian. Driving there can be a challenge up in the mountains. I did it in a Golf and it was just fine.

Most of village names are Italian, or at least more so than French. Still, they're pretty fond of that Napoleon guy here...

Spent most of the day in the mountains yesterday. As you know, the roads are unreal. And none of this has done much to cure me of my want of an Abarth.

The Corsicans are kind of fierce. Interesting language. At first I thought they were speaking Italian but then realized I didn't understand it..even though it sounds Italian. Very attractive people.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 60,485
    Looks like a tough way to spend your vacation. :D

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

I rented a Fiat in Sicily and it worked out pretty well on those tight streets. It's part of my "Major Islands of the Med" tour---all I have left to do is Malta. Sardinia and Crete some years ago. Hmmm...does Cyprus count?

I hope you like Toyotas - shouldn't be a surprise for anyone who has rented in the past few years. The endless stream of rental Camry, Corolla, and Highlander among others here attests to it.
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 51,908
    I've got a quick trip planned to the Bay Area next week. Standard size reserved from Hertz.  

2016 VW Jetta 1.4T SE / 2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor