Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Performance Mods 2008 IS

is350dcis350dc Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Lexus
I am considering changing the air intake on my 2008 IS 350, will this void the warranty. Any thoughts on this?

Also if the VSC is turned off does this make a significant difference in performance. I have not noticed much... than again I have only had the car for 2 weeks.

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    A few things. You should wait til you have at least 5000 miles before doing any modifications, that's when the engine will be broken in. As for the intake voiding the warranty. Nothing can "void" your warranty, however if they can attribute the warranty claim to an aftermarket part then they do not need to cover the damage under your warranty. For instance, if you are driving along and you hit a puddle, suck in water through your aftermarket air intake, and the engine hydrolocks putting a rod through the block. Guess what? It's not covered. If you are driving along and your stereo stops working, it should be covered as the intake doesn't have anything to do with the stereo.

-mike
  • is350dcis350dc Member Posts: 3
    thanks for your thoughts on that. Not sure I want to do anything to the car. I guess an improved air intake would be ok though. Still thinking on it.

I do have another question. I notice in the brochure for the 07 is350 the quarter mile speed is 13.8 , now the brochure for the 08 is350 says 14.2 . Is the new car slower in the qtr mile? Or is this just the driver? Also if the VSC is turned off will the car have faster qtr times?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The dealer would have to prove that your modification caused the warranty claim; however, if you install one of those "oil it yourself" type filters, and you foul up your engine management sensors in the intake horn, that's your baby, not the manufacturer's. Or if the car doesn't run right after you do it, that could also be your problem. But it doesn't relate to other parts of the car, no.

So there's no "voiding", only a cause and effect type of thing that relates to anything related to the air intake modification.
  • is350dcis350dc Member Posts: 3
    Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I do have another question. I notice in the brochure for the 07 is350 the quarter mile speed is 13.8 , now the brochure for the 08 is350 says 14.2 . Is the new car slower in the qtr mile? Or is this just the driver? Also if the VSC is turned off will the car have faster qtr times?
    I'd say it has to do with the transmission tuning, tire size, or perhaps a change in HP/Torque.

-mike
  • meg2007is250meg2007is250 Member Posts: 2
    As for the intake voiding the warranty. Nothing can "void" your warranty, however if they can attribute the warranty claim to an aftermarket part then they do not need to cover the damage under your warranty. For instance, if you are driving along and you hit a puddle, suck in water through your aftermarket air intake, and the engine hydrolocks putting a rod through the block. Guess what? It's not covered. If you are driving along and your stereo stops working, it should be covered as the intake doesn't have anything to do with the stereo.

this happend to me.... i drove through deep water because i didnt have a choice the police were telling us to go that way because of flash flooding. anyways, so i went through and the car died in the middle.... i took it in the next morning cause it had a check engine light on and they said it was hydro locked.. total loss, but then my insurance guy came out and even though it failed compression tests he said it was fine.. i got the car back and boom one day im driving and the car burst in flames... scary scary... but i dont know who your warranty is with.. but i do know that if you modify anything performance wise that has to do with your engine or your computer they will void your warranty..to much liability
    Also it wouldn't be fair to the other owners if you modified your car and then the manufacturer warrantied your claim.

-mike
  • lowrdison20slowrdison20s Member Posts: 5
    if you get the new f sport intake and have the dealer install it it will not void anything it must be installed by the dealer for your warranty to cover it and its also made by lexus . i had my car lowered on lowering springs from f sport by lexus had the dealer install them and they said everything is covered by warranty cause they did the work and factory lexus parts
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
This discussion has been closed.