Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Radio

2»

Comments

• mrsnarkypantsmrsnarkypants Member Posts: 9
    The XM sound quality isn't that great, but that's an XM issue (my portable MyFi sounds the same).

Tell me more about where you're driving when the XM signal cuts in and out. If you're under a bridge or in a parking garage or under lots of trees, the signal will cut out because the antenna can't see the sky. XM does have repeaters in different metro areas to fill in coverage gaps where they know that the terrain will block reception (they're also very hush-hush about where these repeaters are, so if you want to know if there is one near you they won't tell you) and the radio buffers about 8 seconds of data before it drops to try to minimize dropouts while you drive.

If your XM cuts out when you have a clear view of the sky, then yes, I would doubt the radio. If you don't have a clear view of the sky when the signal drops, then your radio may be fine and this is just how satellite radio works.
  • painterfampainterfam Member Posts: 2
    At first we thought it was cloudy conditions. .but on 2 recent interstate trips ..it was clear as bell sky wise and we werent even under a leaf! Its just so hard to explain to the dealer .. as its not an all the time thing. . .and yet - its an issue before we commit long term to XM.
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    XM subscribers, In case you haven't seen this, a new Music Royalty fee is being added to bills starting July 29th. When your current subscription expires, an additional $1.98 per month will be added to your bill.

http://www.xmradio.com/about/musicroyalty.xmc
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That fee may kill off a lot of those tiny little internet radio stations that I skim now and then. I don't mind paying artists, but I hate giving any money to the RIAA.
  • grayland22grayland22 Member Posts: 1
    I can't seem to find out the model and information on the radio used with the 2009 SF with Navigation. The non-nav unit has an I-POD/MP3 jack...but not available with Navigation. I am trying after market, but they want to know the details on the unit. They feel that it must be a different model as the MP3 jack is not offered.

Anyone have any help on this. Anyone successfully installed an AUX jack on a 09 with Navigation????
  • LisaDLisaD Member Posts: 50
    I posted to you on HyundaiForums. The aftermarket people claim to not have made a device with aux, etc. for the Nav unit. Apparently not enough Hyundai people care.
  • cmlegendcmlegend Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I just bought a 2009 Santa Fe and I have an amp that I would like to plug in to my car stereo. Is it possible or I need to change the radio that allows it and get a special module so I can hook it up to the steering wheel.

Thanks
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    I am (or was) in the audio business, and I can't quite understand what you're asking. To attach an amp to the factory stereo you need an adapter to drop the speaker level outputs down to line level, and then attach that to your amp. The Metra part number is ALOC-60, about $25 from various sources. There is no involvement with the steering wheel. If you choose to replace the OEM radio with an aftermarket unit, virtually all of them have outputs for amps, and steering wheel interface adapters are available for most brands.
    Thank you for your answer. I'm sorry if I wasn't able to ask the question without being too confusing ;) I need to practive

So if I understand correctly, I just disconnect one speaker and plug in that channel line level converter and then plug in my AMP?

Thats sounds too easy :)))) I was going to buy another radio because mine didn't have RCA output.
    So if I understand correctly, I just disconnect one speaker and plug in that channel line level converter and then plug in my AMP?

Well, you COULD, but that's not the common approach. I assumed you would get a TWO-CHANNEL amp, disconnect both rear speakers and connect to the ALOC-60 and amp that way. This also assumes you're not adding a separate subwoofer.
    I have a pionner amp (model GM-H22) and a subwoofer. On my car stereo, I use to have an RCA output so I was able to bridge the AMP so I could use the maximum power for the subwoofer.

Now my radio doesn't have RCA and has 4 speakers.

What would be the best setup for me you think?

Thank you very much
    Ah, that's different. You didn't say you were going to be using a subwoofer; I assumed (wrongly) you just wanted to get more power to the back speakers.

In your case, I would connect one side of the converter in parallel with one of the rear speakers (don't disconnect the speaker), and then connect the converter to your amp and then to the sub.
    I got it installed today. He hooked up that line converter with a special module to avoid a burst since I didn't have a turn on wire for the amp. He connected both my rear speakers to drive the amp and then bridged them to the sub... it sounds amazing

thanks for the help :)
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    The "radio silence" problem we both had just reappeared again today. One year later. Shutting off the car and restarting it fixes it. Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem? Thanks, srz948
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    I posted regarding this problem last September. I have a 2008 Santa Fe Ltd. with navigation. Every once in a long while the radio system will "mute". All displays work properly, there is just no sound coming out of the speakers. (no, the mute button was not pushed accidentally). Shutting off the car and restarting it corrects the problem. Before today it hasn't happened for about 10 months. Somebody else (londovir) did post before me last year with the same problem but never responded to my post or advised of his outcome with the dealer. Anyone else suffer this phenomenon? Please advise.
    Never had the "silence" problem yet but again, I only had the truck for 1 month
  • remag1234remag1234 Member Posts: 32
    My radio was fine for a while [AM band only] and a week or so ago the @#$% static started again. I suspect the rear window antenna and/or the amplifier located just above the window in the moulding. I'm going to try putting an antenna on the dashboard eliminating the OEM one. If that "cures" the issue I will post. The dealer wants to replace the radio for $400, you can guess what I said. :)
  • plantinumsonplantinumson Member Posts: 6
    Reading several posts on nav system intermittenly out there is a software update aviable that my help have your service dept refer to bulletin 09-01-017
  • scf1scf1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Santa Fe Ltd. AWD with Infinity Radio & Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE). The exact problem you describe just emerged last week. Everything played fine on the way to work, but when I left work & started the car, there was NO sound. The radio, CD, RSE all played, at least the dials & readouts showed they were working & advancing, but no sound from any speaker. I turned the car on & off several times, with no effect. I pushed the "MUTE" button on & off with no effect. Interestingly, you can get sound from the wireless headphones for a movie on the RSE. Anyway, finally got it to the dealer & they said they had never seen that before, but decided the "head" unit must have gone bad, so ordered a new Infinity radio & replaced it this morning, & still no sound! OK, so they called the tech hotline after disassembling the car interior, carpet,etc. to check the wiring, & were told to replace the amplifier module. It has been ordered, so tomorrow they will replace that. Given previous posts, I have my doubts that sound will emerge, but we can only hope. Will let you know.
    Hey guys... (gals)

My 3 months trial period ended in my new Santa Fe 2009 but I still have XM playing, well at least 2/3 of the channels. The other channel says "channel unauthorized".

Is this normal? I thought I would of lost all the channels after the trial period

Anyone have a similar situation?

cmlegend
  • 44554455 Member Posts: 1
    I am wondering what happened after you replaced the amp module. My wife has a 2004 Santa Fe with the monsoon system. I put in an aftermarket CD player and everything worked fine. The next day I turned it on and the radio came on but no sound from the speakers. No fuses are blown, mute is not on, etc... Any help would be appreciated
  • tomg46tomg46 Member Posts: 2
    I have poor FM reception in my new 2009 Sante Fe. Is there any way to improve it??
  • betsyh2osbetsyh2os Member Posts: 3
    Apparently NOT - Boooo!! Mine does the same- it cuts in and out when you have the FM on. They say it's made to do that to search for the strongest signal but it sounds terrible - especially when you have the volume up at all. It's done it all around in our larger town and even in a bigger major city like Cincinnati. I've met with our dealer and spoken with the Hyundai rep for our area and there is nothing they are doing about it. I will get you a number for the guy if you'd like to battle a bit - I just subscribe to XM.
  • no1soundno1sound Member Posts: 1
    Yes my radio (2008 SanteFe Limited decides when it will play on its own.... no amount of "off/on" or restart the engine seems to work. A big problem... because it is
    intermittent... frustrated...
  • h2opolomanh2opoloman Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2010, can barely hear the radio on the rear speakers. When using the fader if you take it to all rear the sound is low. Coming up to the front all that happens id that the front speakers go from off to full on, never getting any louder. Seems like an equalizer problem but the dealerships tried to tell me it was because there are 4 speakers in front and 2 in back. I have a degree in engineering and understand BS when I see it. Anyone seen this, or have a solution?
  • sherrichsherrich Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing the Santa Fe 2012 limited with Navigation, but am having trouble getting a clear understanding of which sound sysyem is used in either model (with and without navigation). From what I can see, the limited version has the Infinity Logic 7 system and a 605 watt amp, while the Navigation version only has a regular radio with a 360 watt amp and a sub-woofer ? Is this correct ? Why is that ? Does the Limited with Navigation also have 10 speakers ? Can someone tell me the difference in sound quality between both versions ? If I'm looking for a good sounding system, does that mean I have to drop the navigation system and back-up camera and go with the simple Limited ? Can someone clarify ? Thank you.
  • akascootmanakascootman Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Santa Fe. I am hearing a short buzz that lasts a second or two and occurs every couple of minutes. It seems to be coming from around the area of the fuse box, but don't know for sure since it only happens while I am driving. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.