Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Check out the latest from the Edmunds Editorial Team
Have you recently used your tax refund (or are you planning on using your tax refund) toward the payment of a new or used vehicle? If so, a reporter would like to talk to you. Please reach out to [email protected] by Tuesday, March 19 and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.

Buick Enclave Leaks When It Rains

123457»

Comments

• arpadgearpadge Posts: 1

A small grommet failed allowing the sunroof drain located inside the roof to drain water to the interior front drivers side of my 2008 Buick Enclave. The leak was not easily detected until a moldy smell developed inside the car, humidity issues, and the radio stopped working. The amplifier located near the leak shorted out and failed. (no fire luckily) After $1700 worth of damages and repairs were made by Buick, this design defect was corrected at full cost to the owner. This water leak could have easily caused more problems and possibly even a electrical fire. Other Enclave owners with similar problems should form a class action suit. GM does not take responsibility for this obvious design flaw even though the Buick Enclave forums have numerous similar complaints. GM's response was to offer a $2500 credit on a new vehicle purchase. I certainly have no need to ever purchase another problem.

• kretz1kretz1 Posts: 1
    My 2008 Enclave Sunroof has leaked since day 1. The recall did not help. I believe it concerned the drain hoses being too short. The dealership has been very nice but can't help my roof leaking. The drain hoses stop up. I was told I don't need to park it in certain areas but my old Rend. had a sun roof and was parked in same spot 6 yrs and never ever stopped up or leaked. My 2012 Buick Lacrosse has a sunroof and has been parked there for 3 1/2 years and never stops up and /or leaks. This Enclave is a great ride but we get laps full of water after it rains. It also leaks down thru the left driver seatbelt container and the seat belt drips with water after a rain. The body shop manager at the dealer said there are way too many bends and crooks in the hoses that allow accumulation of things from trees. Who knows? I have been a very loyal Buick and GM owner all my life. I have been a GM service Mgr for nearly 30 yrs. before retiring. Have never seen anything as bad.I blow out the two front drain holes weekly but cannot get it to stop leaking when it rains. One time a couple of years ago I paid the dealership over $800 to repair it. They took down headliner and left inner fender and lots of stuff and cleaned out the hose but it still leaks. I have even parked front of vehicle slightly downhill so it wouldn't accumulate. I asked if roof glass could be adjusted tighter to keep leave debris from entering in the first place but was told it is adjusted as tight as possible. I may have to duck tape the roof glass for the winter or buy a car port. Only 90, 000 miles but have it in to the dealership for the leak at least 10 times with no lasting repair-only a blow out the drain lines until next rain.
  • jon137jon137 Posts: 1
    Whoa everyone, I fixed mine myself for about 20 bucks. This is not hard to fix, and requires just a few things from your local hardware. Go to the clear flexible vinyl tubing area, it should be in big rolls somewhere, and they will cut off what you need. Start with a 5 foot section of 1/4" OD (outside diameter) hose. Then graduate up with 1 foot sections of each of the following: 7/16" OD, 3/8" OD, 3/4" OD, 1" OD, 1 1/4" OD. Next buy a spray can of silicone lubricant to facilitate sliding the 1/4" hose down the drains located at the very front corners of the area surrounding the sunroof. These two holes on either side is where the water is supposed to drain, and this is where the water backs up. When youre ready begin assembling the tubing together, sliding one section into the next. They should fit snugly into each other and provide a pretty good seal. Take the largest end and fit it into the end of a wet vacuum cleaner hose. You may need to graduate up or down, depending on the size of your wet vac, so it may be a good idea to take the wet vac hose with you to the hardware for the right last clear hose piece. If all else fails and your'e close, never forget good ol' duct tape to finish the seal. Now open your sunroof and spray a little silicone on the 1/4" end of the tube and insert it into one of the two drains as far as it can go. Should be about 4 ft. Make sure there is water standing in the holes, it will help suck out the muck. Turn on the wet vac, and check to make sure it is sucking out the water. Now slowly begin pulling the hose out of the hole, you will probably have muck and debris stuck to the end, as well as the fact you will see debris going through the hose. I then refilled the holes several times with hot water and repeated the process until I could see water running out onto the ground freely underneath the front wheel well, where it drains out to. Repeat this process on the other side, and your sunroof will drain again properly. The reason it clogs is because where the two drains meet above your ceiling, there is a poorly designed crosspiece with a very small outlet. I hoped they have corrected this. We love our Enclave. Great car.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 22,955
    jon137 said:

This is not hard to fix, and requires just a few things from your local hardware. Go to the clear flexible vinyl tubing area, it should be in big rolls somewhere, and they will cut off what you need. Start with a 5 foot section of 1/4" OD (outside diameter) hose. Then graduate up with 1 foot sections of each of the following: 7/16" OD, 3/8" OD, 3/4" OD, 1" OD, 1 1/4" OD. Next buy a spray can of silicone lubricant to facilitate sliding the 1/4" hose down the drains located at the very front corners of the area surrounding the sunroof. These two holes on either side is where the water is supposed to drain, and this is where the water backs up.

Great job engineering a fix for the problem.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• I Have a 2012 enclave which I have had 2 months. Love my car but tomorrow will be the 2nd trip to the dealership for the roof leaking. I do not have a sunroof. The water is dripping from the middle front and my windshield was resealed. My car has just over 50,000 miles and I luckily have an extended warranty. After reading posts I am freaking out. My cup holder was full of water last time but car has been driven in the rain, seems to happen when parked.
  • Today the dealership has ordered a new windshield. Will find out if this works.
  • TSB 08207, 08-277A, 08207A. Some places indicate that the prevalence of this issue created a recall. regardless, my Enclave, according to the local repair shop, was not covered by the recall. So, when my wife got into the car this afternoon to go meet her friends, she called me to bring her a towel to soak up the puddle in the drivers floor board. The free repair expired in 2009. Which is ludicrous when one considers that 2008 models may have still been sold new in 2009. We didn't experience the problem until 2013, when the battery began to die. We were moving at the time. When I finally got up to Northern Virginia, I had to have the fuse box underneath the passenger pillar repair. Turns out that I had to have the same repair again about a year later. I found the TSB at that time and was told by a GM repair facility that the TSB did not exist and that a repair would exceed $1,000! What? I found the TSB again and feel as though I have no choice but to attempt the repair myself. The dealers around here say that GM doesn't offer any kind of incentive for them to repair the car. So far GM's only offer is a credit towards a new car.I cannot afford a new car. I cannot even afford a used car. I want this car, that is paid for, to service my family for well over 100,000 miles.

I hope that somebody asks me what I think of GM and Buick. My answer will be less than complimentary.
  • I have a 2008 Buick Enclave that I purchased "used" about 3 months ago. No major problems. As long as it's not RAINING. Like so many others here, my car leaks from front to back. The "recall" issue was done on my vehicle at 12k miles (apparently by the first owner) and GM refuses to "refix" the recall problem. All 4 of my drains seem perfectly fine. Both front drains (from sunroof) drain just fine and both rear (from moonroof) also drain just fine. I've had my vehicle in the shop 3 times to "fix" this problem. We'd had NO problems until Tropical Storm Bonnie hit us. Which, unfortunately, left my car with leaks all over. I have water coming in the lights that are above my front seats, i have water coming in around the Sirius satellite antenna and the lights on both sides of it, and finally, from both of the lights in the rear of the cabin. With all of this being said, this ONLY happens when we have really strong storms and crazy hard rain. Any ideas/suggestions?
  • Boy do I wish I had come across this forum before I purchased my Enclave. I purchased a used 08 Enclave 3 months ago and all seemed well until it rained heavy and water started leaking inside. I didn't purchase from a GM dealer so my warranty was limited and the issue didn't appear until after it was expired. Based on what I've been reading that doesn't even really matter because GM is not willing to either reopen the recall or cover with their warranty either.  I really love my car for me and my kids and can't afford to just trade in for another one.  I see some DIY instructions for a fix that were posted some time ago and would like to know if they are still holding up or if they have to be repeated after a period of time?
  • My enclave is a 2017. I bought it used 9 months ago from a buick dealership. Last week after heavy rains it would not start twice! Then the next day after driving it and noticing a check engine light, and it would not shut off. The machanic said it was the ignition switch. So I had it replaced, and everything was good. Well we had heavy rains again last night and this morning. When I got in to leave I noticed the check engine light again. Then when I began to drive water poured out of the dash under my glovebox! I am very angry to say the least! Very disappointed with GM
123457»