Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,022
    Why register at all ?
  • I have a little problem with the gas pedal. It's about the design in general. I have a 2009 corolla that I just cannot drive anymore. First of all I can't get the seat far enough back to where I'm comfortable, my legs are all cramped up. Most cars floors are flat where the gas pedal starts but it seems that there is this hump or raised part right at the base of the gas pedal,which prevents my foot from relaxing when I drive.(maybe that's why the mats are getting stuck) The pedal is actually mounted past where the floor starts to incline. It feel as though I'm holding my leg up the whole time I'm driving which has caused a terrible pain in my ankle and my knee, to the point where I've had 2 MRI's which were negative. It's more of a tendonitis issue. First I thought it was the seats, I've tried every seat position, pillows under my legs to try to take the pressure off but no success. I really think this is a design flaw that Toyota should address. It's actually over a year now and the car will going on sale this week.
    Geez, that's first of that kind of complaint I've heard here. First of all, if you have to sell the car because you can't get comfortable driving it, unfortunately I'd say that's a major problem for you, not a "small problem". Are you very tall? Besides going forward and backward the seat also goes up and down, has that helped? I can only guess that your particular problem has to be with your own physical stature. I for one, am of average build, 5' 11", 195 lbs. and have never felt uncomfortable in my 2009 at all. My wife is 5' 6", 125 lbs. and has never felt uncomfortable in this car either. The only comfort issue I have heard of here, was that the driver's arm rest is not in usable position. Two reasons why the accelerator pedals are getting stuck in some of the other Toyota models. One is some owners are doubling up on mats, particularly in the winter. The other is that the little clips holding the OEM mats on are becoming dislodged allowing the mats to slide forward against the pedals. Perhaps your Toyota dealer might be able to help with some kind of modification for you. Good Luck!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,680
    The other is that the little clips holding the OEM mats on are becoming dislodged allowing the mats to slide forward against the pedals.

No. The clips do not come "dislodged." The problem is that some people don't use them at all, or they put a mat on top of another mat. Of course, some of the Toyota haters try to tell you that it is the electronics, but there is zero proof of this. The Corolla is not affected by this because the shape of the pedal is such that when people don't follow the rules (not use the clips or stack up mats), there is still sufficient space in most cases that the pedal does not get stuck down. So Toyota is forced to idiot proof the car so if you don't do these two things, the pedal will not get stuck. The media made this into a HUGE story, way overblown.

Please use the hooks and a good proper fitting mat (Toyota or WeatherTech) in your Corollas, or any car!
    I haven't heard the "electronics" accusation yet. But yes, as I mentioned, the pedal problem is partially attributed to doubling up on winter mats. On the other hand, the Toyota mat retaining clips can also become dislodged. In my own instance, on my ""02" Celica the clips did come off allowing this driver side mat to slip up under the accelerator pedal all the time until I removed it. I can't concur with your suggestion of using "Weather Tech" winter mats as I don't know if they are equipped with the necessary Toyota retaining holes. I would highly suggest, as is Toyota of course, using only the OEM mats with the holes
  • ok, Are you very tall or have past problems with your ankles?? I am 6'2" and 220 and I have driven my 2009 for 2 years on 2/10/2010. I do love the ride and I don't feel like i'm in a small car. The only problem I have is after 3 hours driven my knee hurts and that only because i torn my acl and mcl years ago, and it just gets sore staying still for that long. Nothing with the car itself. The thing i don't like is what the other guy said about the arm rest on the door, it not at a good height. I love the car and your the first to complain about this problem!
    The Weather Techs have the retaining holes for the clips, and fit as good or better than the Toyota OEM mats. They are pricey, but protect better. As far as the clips, my old Corollas, Rav, and the newer Camrys that I have never had the clips come loose, nor have I read that the clips come loose on the affected models of the recall. Maybe your Celica had the problem, but not my '99 Corolla, or my '07 and '10 Camrys. So yes, just use the clips and Toyota OEM or WeatherTech mats, and your Corolla (or any car) will be fine.
  • I'm 5'-8" but I like to stretch my legs which I can't seem to do with this car. But I do love the ride and I'd hate to get rid of the car.
    I would love to see your seat set-up. It blows my mind that you're only 5' 8" and can't fit behind the wheel of your new Corolla comfortably. Doesn't sound like you might be one of these people that slide the front seat all the way back to where your actually sitting in the back while driving are you? Oh no, that's right, they're Honda owners who have tinted black windows blast their stereos to bass thump'in loud and wear their Yankee hats sideways with their bluetooth hang'in on their ears. LOL
  • Adding another comment to the sea of posts already made.
    Have a 09 Corolla CE.

1. Steering is vague and it does show up at higher speeds on the hwy for example. You do get used to it.
    2. I do have bunch of rattles.
    a) under the dash
    b) Pillar A on the driver's side
    c) the windows both front and rear can make a cracking noise at low temps (at like -15Celcius.)
    d) now I have a mechanical noise in the left wheel i) when I hit huge bumps (like slowing yellow bumps at Wal-Mart), ii) when I take a sharp turn to the right with a good speed.

I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get those fixed. I did a research and I found something interesting : there are Technical Service Bulletins dealing with some of my issues!
    http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/59/095937aL.html
    Let's see the service manager's face tomorrow morning when I show him the printout!
    SB0214-09 JUL 09 Interior - Rattling Noise From The A-Pillar Area
    SB0142-08R2 JUL 09 Body - Windshield/Back Glass Ticking Noises
    SB0333-08R1 FEB 09 Interior - Instrument Panel Rattling Noise

I am quite ticked with the no-clock thing : quite dumb move from Toyota.

I was expecting a PERFECT car (brand new right?). And I got less than that. Don't get me wrong : it's a great car, lowest of the lowest gas consumption, etc. But to have to deal with such rattles is troubling... :)
    Your exactly right for expecting a car that has no rattles. Keep taking it back until they correct those issues for you. Thanks for the heads-up on the TSB's. Doesn't your CE have a clock integrated into the trip odometer button? I know my XLE does. Good Luck and keep us posted as to how you make out.
    But for the 2010 Corolla, they moved the clock so it is always visible, not in the trip odometer. Tons of people complained about it (I know I would have) and Toyota moved it.
    “In recent months, Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats,” Toyota group Vice President Irv Miller said in the statement.
    In "rare instances" the accelerator pedal may stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position, he said.

Well I guess it's more than the floor mats after all that are making the accelerator pedals stick. Announced 1/21/10, 2.3 million Toyotas are to be recalled, including 2009 and 2010 Corollas. This will be in addition to the 4.7 million already being recalled for the car mat issue which is making the accelerator pedals stick.
  • zythumzythum Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem with a 2010 Corolla: the brakes slipped and the car crashed. The dealer could find nothing wrong with the brakes. My problem was reported to Toyota USA in Torrance, CA. as well to the NHTSA. The brake fluid and the brake linings were checked,, but the dealer found nothing wrong. They would not: the car only had 427 mile on it. They did not inspect the mechanism of the brakes which should have been done. And I might might stilll go that route.
  • cpu8900cpu8900 Posts: 53
    Hi all,
    I'll be heading over to the Mustang forum after this post. Just before the new year
    I noticed that Ford had some really good deals advertised. Went to the dealership
    that I bought the Corolla knowing that they also sold Ford and drove the 2010 Mustang 5spd. WOW, talk about a fun car to drive compared to the Corolla, go drive
    one for yourself and you'll see what I mean.
    I wasn't completely sold until the price was right...so my payment went from about $312 to $350 for 3yrs. at 0%.
    Car was about $21,500 before the $2,750 for incentives and the 36 mos. 0%.
    The drivers seat is much more comfortable than the Corolla and don't get me
    started about the Corolla's sensitive steering. The Mustang is just a blast to
    drive from the throaty exhaust to the acceleration through the short throw 5spd.
    Don't get me wrong, I liked the Corolla, but I really look forward to driving the
    car now.
    I just heard today about the recall on the 2009-10 Corolla gas pedal.
    I hope they get the problems corrected.
    Wow, that's quite a style change in car. Going from a compact economy car to a 2 door sporty coupe. LOL. Wish you the best of luck with your new car, enjoy!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 58,895
    Can you explain a bit more exactly what you mean by slipped?

1. The brakes went to the floor

2. The brake pedal stayed hard but the car kept going

3. The brake pedal stayed hard and the car slowed down, but not quickly enough--the braking was very gradual.

4. What surface were you driving over? Were there bumps, RR tracks or other unusual textures such as water ice or snow?

5. Were you in a panic stop situation before the slippage occurred or did the slippage turn a routine stop into an alarming situation?

6. Do your brake lights still function?

Your answers would be very helpful in helping others with similar problems.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• wongywongy Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I had been having this problem for a while with my battery. I had changed it three times and today it will not start my car again, I had to get it jumped.
    Did you ever discover what was causing your battery problem too.
    Sincerely, ERIC
    I'm gonna assume you meant charged it and not "changed it". Either way, if you charged it or changed it and it still doesn't start your car I think it's safe to assume it's not the battery that's causing your problem. Try getting the car running and disconnect the red battery cable. If the car stops running it's most likely not the alternator that's causing your problem. Either way, take it back to the dealer and tell him of your problem, if it's not the battery he'll have to diagnose the problem. Demand that they settle this once and for all. You got practically a new car and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that you shouldn't need three batteries, or three charges, to figure out you have some kind of other problem going on.
  • (Crossed fingers) it hasn't died again...yet. They've changed the battery and the wires. I am hoping that is what it took and it isn't something worse like an electrical problem.