Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Ice Build-up in Front Door Hinge Area

leaffanleaffan Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
I have had ice extensive build up around the hinges of the front doors of my 2007 Trailblazer . Water from top of vehicle and windshield (snow melt ,freezing rain)drains thru this area and in winter freezes causing ice to build up . Affects door opening and has damaged door when door opened . GM confirms drainage designed to go thru this area , that they don't have a fix to solve problem and that any damage resulting from this would not be covered by warranty. Has anyone else living in areas with long cold winters experienced this problem

Comments

• Options
    gtkociangtkocian Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with my 2006 trailblazer with the rear door. Water/ice gets under the rear spoiler forcing it up and they won't cover it under warranty. GM wouldn't acknowledge directly that it's a design flaw (Me: "Its a design flaw and should be covered." GM:"No it's not a design flaw" Me:"So it's supposed to get water back there and separate from the vehicle." GM:"No it's not" Me:"Then it's a design flaw" and round and round we went.) So I am still fighting with them to cover it, as I am not paying to fix their screw ups. Needless to say I was doing research on this when I ran across your post and decided to let you know that you are not alone with this.
    I know I am never going to buy another GM vehicle.
  • Options
    tpilkonstpilkons Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem on my 2006 HHR, the dealer did not have a solution. Inside the door jam there is a piece of felt looking material, I feel this material is the source of the build up. I have tried spraying WD40 in this area, but that did not help.
  • Options
    buckaroo68buckaroo68 Member Posts: 1
    Ditto for my 2007 HHR, the ice build up was SO bad that it actually bent the bottom corner of my passenger door about 30 degrees.

Took it to my body man and his solution was 2 parts for BOTH the passenger AND driver side doors, unfortunately not a solution but more a PREVENTION:
    1) coat the "felt" with an undercoat to make it resistant to absorbing water and giving the ice something to cling/build on (the felt btw, is some sort of "vibration dampner" installed by chevy to keep parts from vibrating together while driving.....can we say CHEAP solution??)
    2) to drill a couple small drain holes, because as it is now, there is nowhere for the water to go as it melts and it just re-freezes and turns into a chunk of clear concrete.

But as for chevy taking responsibility for the VERY OBVIOUS FLAW......unfortunately i say good luck.....it's gonna take a LOT more people to stand up and point this out before a re-call is (if ever) initiated. I'll be at the front of the line when it happens.....see ya there!
This discussion has been closed.