Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Stratus

Comments

• astudivantastudivant Member Posts: 4
    Yes there is a special key with certain models it depends on what the first owner had with his/her package when bought. If the spare is a black key then it wont work you will have to some how get the vehicle to the dealership and they will get a copy of the orginal key made. It doesn't cost more than 100 bucks unless you get the remote for it too. Hope this helps.
  • astudivantastudivant Member Posts: 4
    I havent figured it out for the fact that I can't even find the title and my bank can't find the title even the dmv cant find the title so I figured why fix something if I cant even drive it after it is fixed. But if you figure it out let me know. I think it might be the timing belt.
  • xphilexphile Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Stratus and just recently there is a chattering/ticking sound coming from the front of the car that you can hear through the dash while the car is idling and in motion. Paid for a diagnostic and they told me it was a faulty AC Compressor and to not run the ac. It does it even when the blower is off and the dial is turned to the heat. If I turn the blower on the noise is not as loud. Can it be the AC? :(
  • theweekendtheweekend Member Posts: 1
    The check engine light came on in my 2003 Dodge Stratus this morning. I was going about 65, and a couple times the car started jerking and almost seemed to die...probably getting down to 50 MPH...but then something would catch, and I'd be back up to speed. Was able to make my way into town, but went directly to the shop instead of the office. Guy at the shop didn't think it would be a big problem at first. Said he'd call me after he took a look at it. Well, he called and said the front pump was shot...leakage....internal damage...something about transmission....needs complete overhaul....$2,500. Any idea what any of this means? I have a relative who is a mechanic and he said complete failure of the front pump is extremely rare. Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • fumingfuming Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 stratus, drove off the lot and bam, check engine light came on and the speedometer went nuts, wont come out of low gear!!! any suggestions? took it to a shop they replaced the speed sensor and cylinoid, and guess what it still does the same thing!!! HELP!!!!! :mad:
  • wsharenwsharen Member Posts: 1
    02 Stratus only works in 2nd and reverse, the lights on the dashboard show that it is in every gear. The power pack has been inspected and it is OK. Diagnostics can talk to the engine but not the transmission. Any Ideas????
  • jc9660jc9660 Member Posts: 2
    When I went to replace the rear struts ... both rear strut mount brackets had dissolved into a white powder and cracked beyond repair...fell from the car in four pieces... Look out below....anyways I've been told that this part is back-ordered throughout the country, over 4000 today. Does anyone know when the production date on this part is ????
  • michele91867michele91867 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Stratus RT 4 door that has the same problem. My mechanic said the 02 and 04 have the same parts. We keep hearing different excuses why the part can't be gotten. My car is tore apart and undriveable and I am ticked off. If anyone knows anything more please keep in touch.
  • at0micburnat0micburn Member Posts: 3
    The lights on my console shifter dont always come on when i turn my lights on usually after driving for a few min they will come on. Sometimes while driving they will go on and off . I am assuming its a loose wire but how do i find out where the loose wire is at? Also i dont know if this could be a related problem but when i first got the car my driver side passenger side window worked fine. Then it started working sometimes and others not. Eventually it stoped working completly. All adive is appreciated.
  • jc9660jc9660 Member Posts: 2
    The rear strut mount brackets in my case were replaced.... But not cheep, because I had to visit a few junk yards. I had to buy the whole strut assembly just to get the stupid $10.00 part that was needed. Cost me an extra $150.00. But this is my daughters car (age 17) so any price to see her smile is worth it in the long run, The junk yard story is scary for future strut mount bracket hunters because one yard went through 4 cars before finding brackets that weren't like my originals. Big Bad Leroy Brown told me that the yards would be running out of these pieces soon and the price will skyrocket. ... Good luck with your Stratus Quest!!!! :
  • tracerxtracerx Member Posts: 1
    My turn signals do not work, well they work when they want to. when they do work they turn on then after a couple seconds the freeze in either the on position or of position when i got it looked at they seem to work perfectly. but when i use them they act like a fool. I was told there is a device behind the dash board that might need to be replaced but i dont know the name of it. Can anyone help?
  • trisha9trisha9 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 99 STRATUS THAT WIIL NOT START.I DID EVERY THING(GAS PUMP,AIR FILTER,O2 SENSOR,CRANK SENSOR,NEW PLUGS.)NOTHING IS DOING THE TRICK I NEED MY CAR TO BACK AND FORTH TO WORK .I'M SINGLE PARENT .IF ANY BODY HAS A CLUE TELL ME.
  • buckelewbuckelew Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Dodge Stratus 2.5L it is turning off after running I narrowed it down to spark plugs or fuel injectors I Know I need a new gas cap but has anybody had this problem and do they Know which one it is
  • crash227crash227 Member Posts: 46
    Has anyone replaced their ECT sensor? I tried to remove mine from my 2004 2.7 liter V-6 & it will not come out. It is threaded into some sort of bushing that just spins around with it.
    I am looking for the best deal on a Factory Service Manual. It seems like the CD version costs about $140.00. Is there a better deal out there somewhere? I've outgrown my Haynes Repair Manual and the free online data at Auto Zone and other Web sites.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    And money as well. I own a 1995 Stratus ES with a 2.5 V-6 although the engine isn't the problem. The rear suspension is.The car has very high mileage (216,454) and aside from new rear struts a few years ago the REAR suspension has not been touched. I have owned this vehicle for 5 years and my daughter owned it for 5 before that (although I maintained it for the most part) so I can say with great certainty the rear suspension is original. Recently, when making a slow left turn that causes the rear suspension to flex in a certain way, as in transversing a shallow dip from the surface road to say, a parking lot a loud "crack" comes from the right rear. It has not done this on a right turn under similar circumstances or on straight line travel. I originally thought a "dry" right front ball joint was tight and breaking loose with a crack because it certainly sounded as though the noise was in the front but I replaced both lower control arms/ball joints with new parts and that didn't do it (although the ball joints were worn enough to justify the replacement). I am now in the position of trying to find what IS wrong in the rear without replacing parts piecemeal. By the way the mechanic from the Dodge dealer confirmed the noise as from the rear and checked components while on the lift but nothing seemed bad from just trying to move things by hand but somethig sure is. Any help appreciated pinpointing a part before I end up shotgunning again.
  • lochness61lochness61 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem on my 2001. Did you find out what the problem was? I would like to know what it is? It also driving me crazy. Thank you
  • 50Guy50Guy Member Posts: 1
    I have a flat tire and I want to put on my donut spare. I have aluminum wheels and have replaced tires in the past. Here is the dilema- I removed all the lug nuts from the wheel and tried to remove the tire. Nothing-- It was like I didn't remove any of the lugs at all. I of course checked to make sure that I had removed all the lugs -I did. There is a small dodge emblem in the middle of the wheel-Does that need to be removed? That I didn't do. How do I get this tire off my car - Any help?
  • jan125jan125 Member Posts: 3
    ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS IN DODGE STRATUS -- ONE SOLUTION. For 1-1/2 years, my 2000 Dodge Stratus frequently cut off while driving and/or would not start. I had replaced almost everything ($1,000+) until I almost had a new engine but still had the problem. As a last effort before pouring gas over the car and lighting it, I took my car to a part-time mechanic who worked from his home. He found the problem in one hour and corrected it. No parts needed, just $75 for his time. The wires going to the PCM (Power-train Control Module) were loose. He cleaned and tightened them. That's it! If anyone is having electrical problems, check this. Also, if you have replaced the PCM and are having problems, check the wires.
  • billdrums1284billdrums1284 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 99 stratus a few days ago, and it seems the only problem it has
    is the same problem you are having. Let me know if you find anything out. Would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!
    -bill
  • toysaveddodgetoysaveddodge Member Posts: 5
    All Dodge owners need to be aware that the trany fluid must be ATF+4, and nothing less or more. The TCM (the computer for the trany) if burnt out inside of it will send the trany into limp mode and you will not have any speed past 25mph. The TCM runs on timing with your engine so be sure that a replacement TCM is programed according to your engine...trany shop can do this. Speed sensors in and out regulate your rpm, so if there is something wrong with your tach, have the sensors replaced.Trany solynoid also controls the flow of the trany fluid through the screens so a codes would tell you if that was faulting, but if the wrong fluid type you will run into problems of shift due to the trany is computered not belted as other ordinary tranys are....Dodge is unique for our trany's safety to protect it from crunching down to nothing. Dodge deserves praise for making it conform to the driver as it will shift according to your driving ie, burn rubber not gears as the powertrain is one with the trany's command from that TCM. As for those who suffer battery problems, remember that heat or any large change in the weather or handling of the car can run a battery down. An alternator going bad will kill your car wherever it wants and nothing will light up or music play..no clicking either. A bad fuel pump is your car trying to start...cranks over might start for a few and choke and puff a backfire...might go around the parking lot but not at any kind of speed...then choke and die...not your injectors, not your fuel regulator, not the fuel filter on the outside but rather your pump is toast. For the one who can't remove his tires, the answer is that it has locking hub...you need the key that is made for removing the tire...as a protection from people stealing custom wheels. As for those of you thinking wire harness, check to see if you have vacuum in all of your hoses...some suck air and others blow but it all is run by timing from your engine, even the brakes run from the 'vacuum brake booster'. Keep your air-intake clean also for those who have check engine lights on, as the O2 sensor is why....spray a can of 'air intake cleaner' into your choke and disconnect your battery and then reconnect...if that is still on then have an exhaust machainic look at it...he just programs it turn it off for you if nothing is showing on the computer scan. REMEMBER EVERYTHING IS COMPUTERED...trust the PCM to tell you what is wrong, as that throws the codes...if that was faulty then your whole system would go bazzerk, and NO codes. The PCM is your car's computer and it won't work without it, just as the car won't crank if the spark isn't there...don't replace the things that work. :shades:
  • toysaveddodgetoysaveddodge Member Posts: 5
    Your TCM is burnt inside. The TCM is that silver box next to your Fuse box...it sits between the fuse box and the air intake *the engine*...the PCM sits on the other side of the fuse box with its' two large connectors. On the TCM is a round button that you can reach and pop off to check it's insides. The inside should be clear golden color jelly that covers the mother board inside of the metal case of the TCM...if it is any other color or hard as plastic upon the touch it is burnt from one of the chips on that mother board...or from one or both transisters being shot *melted down* which is also half way covered by the protective jell...there is only 2 of those near the 2 heat sinks. Nothing is supposed to be melted down or burn jelly. The TCM saves the trany from burning out and just saved it. :shades:
  • naldoonnaldoon Member Posts: 2
    Do not buy this car! There is a good reason this was a cheap worthless car!

I had to replace both struts in the back of the car. However, you can buy struts and a strut mount kit. Which of coarse probably wasn't the problem. The plates both struts rest in, inside of the wheel well, are made of an aluminum alloy which easily and quickly oxidized and caused it to chip away cheaply! They were on back order by 10,000 at one point. Recall? No! Avoid Chrysler!

To top that off, I have changed my oil every 5000 miles with Mobile Synthic 5000 miles guarnateed. Well, while driving on highway, not doing anything fancy 70mph.

Engine exploded, died, pulled over and car caught on fire!

No prior engine problems, oil always changed, no metal shavings in oil! Has never overheated or had any heating problems. The engine exploded from he engine block tearing a hold through my engine, which leaked oil onto my exhaust catching it on fire!

137,000 miles on the car. Expect that to be the lifetime of that engine!
  • naldoonnaldoon Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let you know that I used Mobile Synthetic 5000 miles.

Never had ANY engine problems, except for transmission rebuilt. Never had to fix a damn thing and it's a 2002 4 cyl 2.4L 4 door sedan.

137,000 mi engine completely blew, sent a hole through my block onto my exhaust and blowing a tire. then the car caught fire. Probably shot a rod out the side of my engine block.

Just an FYI

I did all maintenance myself
  • sad09sad09 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Stratus and it is making a lot of noise in the back....it has something to do with the back brakes. When i am driving it just rattles which drives me insane. When i press on the brakes, it stops. Could it just be a loose caliper....I haven't taken a look at it yet but I was just wondering if anyone else came across this problem?
  • adamsn99adamsn99 Member Posts: 1
    More than likely it is your rear struts. I had the same problem and had to have both the rear struts replaced. Hope this helps. If you look in your trunk at the place where they are mounted, see if they are straight, if they are turned to the side, or loose that is probably your problem.
    Hope this helps.
  • jcellajcella Member Posts: 2
    i have the same problem from 0 to 70 no problem slowing down until 30mph it jerks 2times
  • jcellajcella Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem please help
  • status2status2 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2004 stratus and drove it this past Saturday and worked fine. Next day , did not start whatsoever. Tried to jump it, no luck. Read your post and I too have only one key. Had it towed to Pepboys who don't seem to know what the problem is. They are checking the electrical system. Thinking maybe the chip in the key went bad or something. Have no spare. Car does not make a sound when trying to start it. Yet the lights, horn, open/close keyless entry remote works and makes the locking sound. I don;t know what it is. Hopefully nothing major. If anyone knows please help.
  • stickbirdstickbird Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Dodge Stratus Sedan. Does the back seat fold down?
  • mamalmamal Member Posts: 2
    My 18 year old son has a 1997 Dodge Stratus. The car dies on him when he drives through heavy rain or standing water. This has happened to him on the interstate at high speeds....so dangerous! He is now afraid to drive it when it is raining. Has anyone else had this problem and what can we do about it?
  • bruced215bruced215 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 dodge stratus and when I was driving the car start smoking from my vents and it will not accelerate and I smelled buring and when I looked at the carpet the carpet was black. What is the problem?
  • plove234plove234 Member Posts: 1
    You need to replace your distributor. I had the same issue and that fixed it.
  • mamalmamal Member Posts: 2
    Thanks plove234...we'll try replacing the distributor.
  • bobby58bobby58 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 95 stratus an the anti theft will not let me start car and i dpont have the keyless entri how do i reset it
  • treidtreid Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 stratus R/T 2 door and when it is cold out side u start it up and it makes a weird noise for a little bit but when it warms up it stops what could this be also does anybody know where to get some halo projectors and aftermarket taillights i have looked every where
  • itisme1itisme1 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 Stratus with the 2.4L DOHC that when we try and start it but it just blows out the inj., starter, and fuel fuse. My guess is that the starter motor and/or the starter motor is having issues but can there be any other problems that might be causing this?

Thanks for any help that you can give
  • jan125jan125 Member Posts: 3
    For 2 years, my 2000 Dodge Stratus either wouldn't start or cut off abruptly while driving or idling. Spent over $1,000 at 2 different shops. No change. Finally went to individual with shop in his backyard....someone who really knows cars. He removed, cleaned and then tightened the wires to the PMC (power control module). Cost me $75 for his time 1 yr ago and problem hasn't returned.
  • b1234b1234 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Dodge Stratus whose passenger tail light is acting flaky. I replaced the bulb and the tail light illuminates when the lights are on. When I press the brake, the light goes off. If the lights are off and I press the brake, the brake light illuminates, however dimmer than the driver's side. Any ideas??
  • 1dodgecustomer1dodgecustomer Member Posts: 4
    HEADS UP!! My 2005 Dodge Stratus 2.4 just died at 82K miles. Found out there is a way of checking codes on the cars computer without taking it to Autozone. If you have a digital odometer you can check codes by turning the ignition on and off 2 times then to the on position without bumping the engine and it will read off codes on your odometer.So in my case I had a code come up as P0340 which is the Camshaft Position Sensor.So I changed the sensor out and cleared the code from the computer by disconnecting the battery.The code returned and found out from my mechanic that the timing belt broke and caused 2 engine valves to be bent.Only $1600 in repairs.This could have been avoided if Dodge would have said to check or replace timing belt before 90K miles like it said in the service manual.
  • scientecscientec Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Dodge Status. I put my key in the ignition and it won't turn backward or forward. It is like the ignition is locked. I turned my lights on, so I know the battery isn't dead. I seatbelted myself in, I made sure that the gear was in PARK, I placed my foot on the brake, etc... and I even tried an alternate key that I have, so it isn't the key. I also checked the fuses and they are fine. Oh yeah, and I'm not out of gas.

Basically, it is like the ignition is locked.

Any suggestions as to what the problem may be?

Ken
  • slim68slim68 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to find out the name of a part located in the steering column which allows the horn to be blown and the air bag to come on when it is most important. It is for a 2003 stratus/ 4 door. I'm trying to price it, but w/o the name, its not gonna happen
    thanx in advance for ur help... :confuse:
  • alwaysstonedalwaysstoned Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Stratus Se. I need to replace the driver side headlight bulb. How do you get to the bulb. It looks like you have to take other components off to get to the bulb. Is there an easy way.
  • scientecscientec Member Posts: 3
    I love driving in my Stratus. I love the way it handles, i.e. the tightness on the road. Feels like I'm in a little sports car sometimes. No auto manufacturer makes a perfect vehicle.

Yes, the Japanese took some of our ideas and made them better. It caught the American Auto Industry and surpassed it.

We need to keep the auto industry jobs within the United States. Keep the money here, right? But at the same time, perhaps there must be some kind of regulations or laws that force the American Auto Industry to have at minimum, a high quality product, e.g. some much quality within a range in reference to other high quality auto manufacturers, e.g. Nissan, Toyota, etc.

I had a Saturn Ion. The transmission in this Saturn was a Japanese transmission. Figure that.

Oh well, I can't wait to get into my Stratus. I am going to jam.

Thank you Dodge for making the Stratus. I am enjoying it. Yes, I've had to put money into fixing things, but I think it is worth it for now.

Dodge would probably get their feelings hurt if I told them that I dream about having a new Nissan Frontier, Ford Mustang GT(Shelby or whatever), and a Cadillac CTS Coupe. If I was greedy, instead of the Mustang, I would get a Corvette Z06 or ZR1.

For now, I will enjoy my 2000 Dodge Stratus. Never know what is next on the "fixing" list.

I just forked out ( a few days ago ) $288 to replace a key tumbler.

Oh well, all vehicles have to have maintenance and fixing at some point in their life time.

Have a great day. It is clear blue skys here in the Colorado Springs area at 8:26 a.m.

Think I'll check fluid levels and maybe air pressure, and hit the road for awhile.

Bye.
  • jjfike2004jjfike2004 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 stratus. Our car will be hard to start and the engine light will come on. Wait a few minutes and restart usually will start fine. Doesn’t happen every time we start it.

We took it to Autozone- told it was the crank sensor or camshaft sensor. We have replaced both. Still having the same problem.

We took it to a mechanic- he couldn’t figure out what the problem was. He told us to take it to an electrician. We have and they can’t figure it out. Because the codes only show when the light is on and that isn’t all the time, they have had our vehicle for over a month. They thought it was the housing for the sensor- they tighted the prongs and it cleared the problem, but when I went to pick it up the problem recurred.

:confuse: Any suggestions?
    Intermittent problems are the most difficult to diagnose. How many miles on your Stratus? Mine started and ran a little funky when the spark plugs got to about 95k miles. They were in really bad shape when I changed them. If yours are old, you should change them anyway. Make sure you have good fuel and add a full system fuel treatment to rule out contaminated gas. Buy only top quality gas for awhile to see what that does. I have a 2004 Stratus with 120k miles on it. Have done all my own maintenance and never had that problem. I would take it to a good auto-electric shop or, sadly, take it to a dealer at least for the diagnosis.
  • brillanzebrillanze Member Posts: 20
    Like an idiot, I sold my beloved MB 300TD and bought a 2000 Dodge Stratus from a friend who needed some quick money. I will unload this crummy car ASAP, but there are a couple of things I would like to fix beforehand, if possible.

Sometimes the horn blows for no reason. I can make it stop by unlocking the tilt wheel and moving the steering wheel up and down (hard!). I have just removed the fuse, so I have no horn. However, the dc charger outlet is on that same fuse, so I can't charge my cell phone and other stuff when I am driving.

The driver side and passenger side front electric windows are iffy. Sometimes they work perfectly, sometimes they will stop, then roll up or down next time I start it or if I drive for a long time. Sometimes not.

Any cheap fixes for either of these problems?? I do see that the windows are a fairly common problem with these cars.
    Thank you! :lemon:
  • jshireyjshirey Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a 1999 Dodge Stratus w/100k miles, a 2.4L engine, and an automatic transmission. Whenever i put the vehicle in drive the engine idles rough and almost stalls; when i shift it back into park or neutral it still runs rough. The check engine light does not come on. any ideas?
    My only car i really need some advice
    Thanks Frank
  • quepuesesequepuesese Member Posts: 3
    Have a Dodge Stratus 2006. Bought it used.
    Have had it for 6 months. Just recently just started having this problem. Dummy me was trying to start it with a copy key which did not have the transmitter. It would start and shut right off after 3 to 5 seconds!!! It was very frustrating.
    After looking through various forums, I got the codes from the computer which gave me the code of P0513 which means that a key without the theft security chip was used to try to start the vehicle. Bingo!! Tried the original key and no problem running the vehicle. Thankyou Lord God.
    Just wanted to relay this to everyone.
  • helpmeplease23helpmeplease23 Member Posts: 1
    Please tell me what parts you had to replace, I am desperate here $1,000 and no money left. Thank You so much