Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• discomikediscomike Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum and I am in the market for a 00 or 01 Premier. When I approached a local dealer in Dallas TX with the prices I saw in this discussion he told me that the 26,100 or 26,700 was impossible. I would probably drive to LA if the price was right...need to see the Big Easy again anyhow. Can you provide any new info on availability salesman etc.
  • kklotzkklotz Member Posts: 19
    Mike,

To give you a pricing perspective--I just picked up my 2001 Premier on Thursday. These are the options I ordered and how much I paid:

.3rd row Captains chairs
    .Chrome Wheels
    .Towing package

I paid: $31,622 including the destination charge. The MSRP for this van was: $34,475 including the destination. Believe it or not, I went through GM's website to find their "Buy Power" dealer in my area. He's the one that gave me the price at $400 over invoice. My dealer was McCaddon Oldsmobile in Boulder, Colorado and my salesperson was Randy Williams. I ordered the van back in June and it just came in. I also leased the van and received an additional $500 rebate from GM due to a special leasing program they have going on in the Western US.

Kevin
  • discomikediscomike Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info Michael and Kevin. Kevin did you feel the special financing you got on the 2000 made it economically comparable to getting a big price break on a 2000 with no special financing? Michael I got a quote of 28700 here in town but based on the prices I have seen discussed in this forum I should be able to do much better than that!

What I am trying to do is find a dealer within a reasonable distance of Dallas TX who is willing to part with a 2000 Premier for approx $26700 or less, as I have seen noted earlier in this forum. The nice thing is I have plenty of time flexibility to conduct my search and we are not "in love" with any of these minivans.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    My 2000 Silo with about 11k miles has a very intermittent problem with noise interference on the radio. It sort of sounds like ignition noise. If the engine is stopped, the noise stops. I had the dealer check it out at the last oil change, but "could not duplicate" the problem. Anyone else have this problem?
  • chadimjschadimjs Member Posts: 1
    For those considering buying a Silhouette, I thought I would post my comments. I am original owner of a '94 model with 3.8L V6,145k miles, leather interior. Some brief notes:

Overall, I (we) are very pleased with the van. It still has a comfortable ride, good mileage, A/C has never been a problem. Great passenger comfort.

However, there were issues, some fell within warranty, some outside. The warranty had to replace the heater core due to a leak. I think the dash had to come off twice before it was fixed. Both power window units had to be replaced immediately after warranty. The was an intake manifold leak (late warranty) which leaked antifreeze and had to be taken in twice. There has been work trying to fix slight engine misfiring at 45-60 mph cruising which still exists. There was a transmission wiring issue around 70k which caused lack of shifting. The rear tailgate has always had a weak lock system and was warranty repaired with added fiberglass, but with extra special pampering has only had to be fixed one other time. Leather driver seat started splitting around 60k.

As I said overall, good van and all seems well. However, of the things that failed, they seemed to do so earlier that expected and cost always seemed to be high. This van was dealer serviced until after warranty, and they fixed additional stuff that I don't recall. At this time, I feel like it is at the verge of high maintenance and time to find something new. Would consider a new one, but BE SURE to do as much warranty work as possible to ensure your wallet doesn't get lightened afterwards.
  • blackcurrantblackcurrant Member Posts: 152
    are you for real? if you can get one for around 28 DO IT! the 26,7 is a joke...it's not real and not possible...you can't believe everything on the interent you know....
  • cook301cook301 Member Posts: 9
    Well it seems I get to go to court on my LEMMMMON this Oct. I guess four tranies is considered normal by GM. I just extended the warranty just in case I lose in court. This will be the last new GM product that I buy. There has been no help from the Dealer on my problems. They have offered to give me a GOOD deal on a trade in. Not this time GM!
  • coz1coz1 Member Posts: 9
    HeeHee! HaHa!... Yea, buddy, it's a joke ahrite. You wanna hear sum'um even, HaHa, bettern nat? We gots da pepper works ta poove et!
    Once it is posted, it's to late. That last posting was, well, I'm not sure. This might clear things up, a price of $28654 less $2000 rebate leaves $26154. That is how we paid that price!

In posting #94, Reatha got a price of $27800. Was that price with or without the rebate?
  • betzygreenbetzygreen Member Posts: 1
    After living though several major problems with a '92 Dodge Grand Caravan, I recently purchased a 2000 Silouhette only to have numerous stalling problems within the first week. It happens mainly upon braking. The dealer has not had any success in correcting the problem in several tries. Has anyone seen this problem?
  • jstannjstann Member Posts: 1
    Looking at a 2000 GLS demo model with 4400 miles on it. Sticker is $29K. Dealer is offering 2k off
    on the mileage and the 2K rebate. Anyone have experience with pricing on a demo? The 2K sounds low to me. I just want a better estimate on the amount that should be deducted from sticker.
  • 3sondad3sondad Member Posts: 2
    Demo's are still considered new vehicles. Since they have never been registered within it's state, the typical expected depreciation of a used vehicle does not apply. Dealers generally try to give the impression that you will save more money by buying a demo version. This is NOT always the case. You can negotiate just as favorably on a Non-Demo vehicle without the excessive mileage on it.

If you still want the vehicle, do your due diligents, check out Edmunds invoice cost with all options on this vehicle and determine the numbers for yourself. In my opinion, they are a lot of 2000s available, and I think it would behoove you to negotiate wisely. I would recommend only paying invoice on a 2000 without ANY mileage. If your still set on this demo than I would suggest trying out 2k below invoice plus the 2k rebate and see if they bite. Otherwise, pay invoice on a NON-demo version plus 2k rebate...the choice is yours. Why deal with a vehicle which you have no history (You don't know who drove it, how they drove it, how many drove it, etc. That's 4400 miles!). Just my 2 cents worth.
  • 3sondad3sondad Member Posts: 2
    For those that might be interested, The 3rd row stowable bench seat is now in production. Dealers should have them in, and naturally, more will trickle in throughout the month of September. The 3rd row stowable bench replaces the split bench. So if you like the split bench better, you will not be able to order one from this point onward (Dealer Locates Only).

The power driver's sliding door is not slated for production until November of this year. So if that's an important feature, November is not too far away.

If you order the Chrome wheels and the Gold Emblem package together, the chrome wheels DO NOT get the gold accent. Of course, if you only order the Gold Package, the standard alloy wheels will get this gold accent treatment.

As of August 9th, invoice for all flavors of the Silhouettes went up by $200.00 (give or take a couple of dollars). Edmunds numbers need to be updated.

N.B. Regardless of what anybody tells you, if you stick to your guns, the dealers WILL sell a 2001 Silhouette to you at Invoice (Currently, there is an unadvertised $1000.00 rebate from GM on all their 2001 Silhouettes. I think the expiry on this is 10/2/00).

Signing off...
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Its sooooo close BUT misses. I doubt they will produce it but I think its a fantastic idea. I love minivans and I love power. If fact, I think that GM should start a new division just for minivans and put me in charge.

The OSV Silhouette show minivan described at GM site:
    3.4 engine with intake, header, exhaust mods.
    210 bhp at 4400 rpm
    270 lb. ft of torque at 2800 rpm
    - Increased Intake Capacity
    - Special Tuned Headers
    - Koni Springs & Struts
    - Borla Exhaust
    - K&N Filtration
    - 13-inch Brembo Cross-Drilled Disc Brakes (On a minivan. Finally, now thats thinking.)
    - Recaro Style Seats
    - Titanium Pedals
    - Racing Hart c-6 Revolution Chrome 19”x8” wheels (Thats right 19'' rims on a minivan!!!!!! Yes!!)
    - Front and Rear Spoilers
    - Ground Effects Package

The way it would have been made if I was in charge:
    3.5 L DOHC from the Intrigue OSV that adds the Eaton 62 supercharger (or better yet I would prefer the Aurora or Northstar V8s normally aspirated but I'm not exactly sure how one would get them to fit)
    250 bhp at 5600 rpm
    260 ft. lb. torque at 4400 rpm
    5spd or better yet the 6spd gear box from the Corvette
    HID lamps
    AWD system with rear bias and limited slip
    In addition to all of the aforementioned mods as GM could have it.
    All for under $45,000.

Come on GM, if you are gonna make a soccer-dad mobile.....go all the way. Make a good one. When I'm in charge of GMs new super minivan division, I would also toy around with the idea of a mid-engine 400-500bhp V8 twin turbo AWD minivan. Why? I love minivans and I love power.
    One could haul the family and dogs around and still manage a sub 6 second 0-60. That would be cool.

Other practical uses:
    Get groceries home faster to retard spoilage and keep the family healthy
    Get kids to school faster so they can learn more and get a merit based full scholarship to Harvard
    Get dog/kids to vet/doctor faster to keep him/them healthier
    Get kids to soccer/football/baseball/basketball or other practice faster so they get better and earn an scholar athelete free ride to college
    The uses are practically endless!!!!

So, you see, not only could this van give you more quality time at home, it can keep your family healthier, and even save you money in the long run when your kids are super-smart mega-atheletes that go to college for free. So my idea for a $45,000 minivan is actually a bargin when you factor in all the benefits.
  • spud16spud16 Member Posts: 4
    Bought a 2000 Silhouette in April. Been back 7 times for a water leak in the right rear. Water collects in the tire jack compartment. Initially it was filling up with gallons, until the rear window seal was replaced. Now its just tablespoons. Each time I go in, its something different. Called GM # in owners manual, they have been useless. They gave me an address to write to, and I have heard nothing back. ANY IDEAS?????
  • cook301cook301 Member Posts: 9
    Check out your states Lemon Law! I am doing this on my van after four transmissions. It is still not right. I can sugest a good attorney. Please E mail me for further details. bobb@urec.net
  • bigfigbigfig Member Posts: 35
    Response to (cook301) Look at post #14,15,16,&21 for possible solutions for your water leak. Since the boots have been fixed with silicone, I have not had any leaks.
    BigFig
  • bigfigbigfig Member Posts: 35
    Response was meant for (spud16) not (cook301)
    Thanks for pointing me to the postings. The right rear window seal was definitely one part of the problem. From what I can read in my records, the boots were never examined. For those of you that had that problem, did the water leaking at the boots get into the wheel well area, ie in the side compartment where the tire jack is? Or did it leak right into the carpeted area? Also, has anyone had condensation in their tail lamps?
  • bpettybpetty Member Posts: 2
    I purchased an Olds Silouhette Premier and took delivery on 8-01-00. I paid cash for it in addition to using my GM Credit Card earnings.
    On 8-15-00, with 600 miles on the van, the drivers side, side impact, air bag deployed while my wife was driving. It happened on a smooth road at about 35 mph. The van was returned to the dealer. It was returned in a week with the air bag and related components replaced. It happened again on 9-11-00, same thing, 30 mph on a smooth in town street. The van was returned to the dealer. A GM regional rep came to the dealer and took the van apart. He said we could not have it back, that GM did not want this van on the road. This is where the real problem starts.

The GM re-purchase person assigned to us is the most rude, arrogant individual I have ever dealt with. They have had my van and my money for two weeks and I am stuck. They refuse to make me whole on the deal. All I want is even. The problem is in replacing my GM credits on my account.

I am very frustrated and getting more angry by the day. I wish better luck to everyone else.
  • gditulliogditullio Member Posts: 14
    What model year on your olds. Was it the 2000 model of the 2001
  • bpettybpetty Member Posts: 2
    It is a brand new 2000, it now has approx. 1000 miles on it.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    One more thing to check on for water in the jack compartment is the seal where the power door cable enters the rear. Our '99 had this problem and the dealer installed a baffle under the outside door track cover, completely fixed, no more leaks.

Taillamp moisture: We had one like this, had the entire assembly replaced. The moisture will rust the internal connections and eventually ruin the assembly. The problem is that some of the seals between the two halves are not up to snuff (they are made by Britax, the car seat people). If you have moisture in the lamp(s), get the dealer to replace them now.
  • tauberjtauberj Member Posts: 61
    I experienced the Jack Compartment leak. I took the van to the dealer and told them that the water in the jack well was silty. Thus, I suspected the leak was in the wheel well. The dealer siliconed the seam in the wheel well from the outside and siliconed the interior (front wall) of the jack compartment. I have not experience a recurrence of the problem. I'll keep a vigilant eye on this to ensure it does not recur.
    I have noticed on several vans I have seen the listing with the radio it states - - radio data system (RDS) what is this and what does it do? I was wondering if it would give you weather or traffic reports?
  • askmakaskmak Member Posts: 2
    I am picking up my new 2000 Premier on Saturday, is there anything I should be looking out for?
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    When you pick it up, take it out on the highway and get a feel for the front end alignment. If it pulls one way or the other, have it checked. Mine was WAY off, and I trashed a set of tires in short order.

The 2000's still had the older style cup holders. These can break easily, so keep them in the closed position when you're not using them. They are prone to getting broken by kids stepping on them (I speak from experience!). The 2001's have a better design.

Have fun with your new van.

Mikey
  • askmakaskmak Member Posts: 2
    Mikey,

Any thoughts on the entertainment system, I noticed when you pull the LCD down all you see is the metal roof (no insulation?)

askmak
    My 99 Silo is the base GL, so I don't have all the gizmos that you are getting.

It just turned 66k miles and no problems right now...So far only tires, front brakes and a few water leaks (plus those fragile cup holders). I figure at 3500 miles per month, about next August it will hit 100k.

Since I was going to trash whatever I bought in a couple of years, I wanted something I could pay off quicker. Those Premieres are nice though.

When it's time to get a new company car, I'll most likely get another Silo.

Mikey
    I was using the search function to find other topics about the Silhouette, and strangely this one doesn't show up.

It may be because "Silhouette" is misspelled in the title of our Topic. Can you fix this?

And before you ask, as a matter of fact no, I don't have a life.

Minivans Rule! (OK, maybe it's only the soccer fields)

OK, now back to power lurking....

Thanks,:O)
    Mikey
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    I'll let Karen, the vans host, about your request. Actually, I'm sure that she's already aware of it. But, it probably won't be fixed until the next iteration of this topic, or after we have the major software overhaul in several weeks (hopefully) time; topic titles cannot be edited.

Thanks!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
    has anyone ever noticed a slight flicker in their headlights, on occasion? I've never had a vehicle with auto headlights, and I am suspicious of this mechanism. The impression you get is that you have switched from hi to low or low to high for a fraction of a second. I don't know if this is an early indication of a failure, or just a minor nussance that I should put up with.
    2000 Silhouette
    saga continues. Thanks for all the inputs from everyone. Dealer says they checked the rear hatch boots several times, resealed right rear window, resealed power slider boot, resealed just about every seam in the right wheel area.
    In the beginning the whole well would fill up, and the water was silty. Only when they finally replace the window seal was there a significant reduction in water. Now a small amount still gets in, even without driving the vehicle. Personally poured water all over the boots, and no water gets in. Poured it on the roof rack area, no water gets in. Poured it on the window, and water does get in. Problem here is that it flows all over the place, so I am not sure yet if that is truely where the leak is. I'm going to start taping off areas to restrict the water flow, and see if I can further isolate.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    One feature I am soooo looking forward to with the new boards is topic title editing. Until then, we have to make do with what we've got.

KarenS
    Vans host
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Thanks for addressing the question, Karen! :-)

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
    We bought our Olds Silhouette Preimer. It is a Indigo Blue with leather seats. So far so good. The kids love the video system. They are the hit of the car pool. I'm use to sitting much higher - we traded in our 93 Astro. We paid invoice w/ 1000 rebate. There were a couple of chips in the bumper but DH said he can put touch up paint on it. Here's hoping that this van last 8 - 10 years.
    Sue
    Haven't heard of that one before, but it could be the bulb not seated correctly in its socket. There may also be a problem with the dimmer switch in the steering column.

Just guessing...

Mikey
    If everyone remembers a while back, there was a discussion of what to do about the black mirror housing fading.

Mine was fading too, so I just waxed it, and it shines like new now. I would recommend a non-abrasive wax.

The wax applicator turned black as I was putting the wax on, so it must be some kind of oxidation of the paint on these.

BTW, this fading seems to happen also on the luggage rack, but it is not as noticeable since it's up high. I waxed it too and it looks great.

I'd like to hear someone else's take on this....

Mikey
    Well last week I proudly announced that we had bought our 2001 Olds Sil Premiere. With only 200 miles on the car the check engine light came on. Pushed the Onstar button. They did a diagnostics and came back with the code P0440. Called service today and he said that code means it is misfiring. I will be taking it in on Tuesday. Man oh man...
    I don't know if you're experiencing the same thing that happened on my wife's van, but one day the engine started running very badly. Took it in to the local Olds dealer, and they quickly (and quite correctly I might add) diagnosed the problem as a bad spark plug wire. A few minutes later and I'm back on the road.

Mikey....
    Michael, I was the one who ask about the mirrors and for the mirrors on our van, waxing didn't help! Could you tell me the brand of wax you used, also, if it was a cleaner/wax? I used Mothers cleaner/wax, worked great on the paint, but not on the mirrors. Thanks.
    I used something called Formula 2001. Nothing special, just something on sale at Kmart.

Mikey (in search of yet another blue light special)
  • marebarkermarebarker Member Posts: 3
    I test drove my first minivan today. The Premiere.
    I noticed Edmunds lists the Entertainment as a TV/Video system. It is actually only a VIDEO system...no TV. Since I have never had a TV in a car before...is this something to be coveted. The salesman said TV's don't work that well...so I am better off with just the Video. Any thougths?

Also, Carsdirect.com will get me a 2001 Premiere for $30,570. They show invoice price of $30,698 and MSRP of 33,855.

Options added would be priced as follows:
    Tow Package $87
    Chrome Wheels $607
    Radio w/6 disc CD changer/player $258
    Gold Tone $131
    Engine Block heater $31

So is the Carsdirect price what I should shoot for at the Dealership???

Thanks
    We paid 31,248. We bought the premiere with the tow package and gold tone. We also had to pay the adversting fee of 331.00. Minus the 1000 rebate we came to 30,248. We love the video system and can't wait to take our trip to Florida this summer. You won't pick up many or any tv stations while driving I don't think. Is the carsdirect price including the rebate?

I also posted earlier that we had to take the van back already for the check engine light. The pin connector at evap was loose. They resecured pin. We have been getting lots of compliments on the van.
    S.DiTullio
  • lstratfordlstratford Member Posts: 1
    I went for it today. I had tried one, liked it, thought about it and turned back around and bought it! So far I would have to say that this is the most 'car like' mini-van I have ever driven. It rides great.
    After reading about the small problems that have been popping up on other's vans, I will keep a close eye on it and hopefully it won't give me any problems on my 3000 mile 'Thanksgiving' trek.
    Les s.
  • cobol4evercobol4ever Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have been thinking about getting a minivan for the last six months or so. With two newly adopted children, our '98 Chevy Malibu, felt a little cramped.

We rented a Chevy Astro while were were on vacation in Florida last summer. She loved it. Lots of room, good acceleration, etc. But the wheel well intruded into the place where my left foot would like to rest. After that we did not consider getting a minvan. We wanted to put off a new vehicle purchase as long as possible. My '94 Chevy pickup truck has a lot of miles on it (132K) but is in great shape.

Then something happened to change would minds. Just last week, GM/Oldsmobile offeded 0% financing on year 2000 Silo's for up to 60 months. No rebates or anything. It would be like saving for a vehicle only we can drive it now.

We wanted the premere edition, but those were scarce, and the price tipped the scales anyway. So we got a GLS, indigo color (how conservative can you get in a color), gold package (which offsets the indigo color), upgraded sound system, and trailer towing package. Paid $100 over factory invoice. The van had been sitting on the lot for a while, but that's why Oldsmobile was trying so hard to get rid of them. We got a five year loan at 0% and applied $650 from my GM card rebate account. Also got the GM Protection Plan for $25 over wholesale. The only thing is that it breaks my rule against buying a vehicle at the end of the model year. On the other hand, so what? What a sweet deal!

BTW, we did not consider Chryslers because of severe reliablilty problems that I experienced with Dodge Caravans.

So far, we are very pleased with it.
    Congratulations...we bought ours several weeks ago and have gotten lots of compliments on it. The only problem we are having is a check engine light that likes to stay on. The service department has been great so far in trying to find why it keeps coming on. The kids love it. We traded in a Astro and even though I do notice a difference in space it still drives a lot better.
  • rlang2rlang2 Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my 2000 premiere on Monday night. What a great ride. Got the sand color with gold package. How can you beat 0% financing? Paid $100 over invoice. Getting lots of compliments. Any thing I need to watch out for with this van?
    So far, we love it.
  • gregathygregathy Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 98 Silo. GLS with 40 thousand miles. Was a leased van. Check all service records before purchased and everything looked real good. Looked and research other vans but this one looked, drove,and priced great for my price range. Is there any problems I should look out for? Also received another 3yrs/36 miles bumper to bumper warranty on it. Any info. would be appreciated.
  • seattleoldsseattleolds Member Posts: 1
    I don't know if these two problems are related or not. I notice, as did #142, that the headlights, interior lights, etc. occasionally develop a flicker. The last time this happened it was on a 3 hour night trip and it about drove me nuts. It never did develop into a serious problem, but I kept thinking I was losing my alternator. Another problem is the compressor in the back. It seems to come on every time I start the car. Of course the owner's manual is useless, they don't even identify which fuse to pull so I can stop the noise. I wonder if the two are related, ie. that the power draw of the compressor is making the headlights flicker (probably not). Is the compressor good for anything except beach balls and flat tires? Mine will be worn out before next summer.