Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• viper0074viper0074 Member Posts: 56
    Ahhh, the joys of suburan living ...

Yes, one day I might learn to change my own oil. As of now, I live in an apartment building and I don't even have my own parking spot, let alone a garage to change my oil in. I leave my key at the garage, where they jam the car into whatever little space they have at the time.

Isn't city living great?

Anyway, I'd like to thank everyone again for all the advice. I feel better knowing that there are others out there who have faith in the Acura product.

Later,

Peter
  • tjonestjones Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 RL which came with 215/60/16 tires. I know that in 2001 or 2002 Acura increased the tire size to 225/55/16. Has anyone with a 2000 or older RL increased to the 225/55/16 size when they replaced their tires? If so, have you noticed any problems (e.g. rubbing, spedo incorrect, etc.)? If no one has switched, does anyone know if there would be any problems switching?

Thank you.
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    I used Scratch X on my SUV. It's not bad consider it's only $7. What color is your car? Mine is white. Scratch X covers up the scratches pretty nicely, but don't expect that the scratches will disappear totally.
  • indytomindytom Member Posts: 1
    The ABS motor on my 97 RL runs loudly for about 20-30 seconds upon start-up. Within 10 minutes the ABS light comes on, and then the ABS system no longer works. The local Acura dealer is happy to replace my accumulator/modulator for $1300 or so (no longer in warranty). It seems like several people have had similar problems. My questions are 1) Since this is a fairly common defect, does anyone know of special extended warranty coverage from Acura to cover this problem?; and 2) I wonder if the accumulator/modulator can be repaired instead of replaced? Any feedback will be appreciated. On a six year old car, I doubt that it makes sense to pay $1300+ on the ABS system.
  • bobbycarbobbycar Member Posts: 12
    2003 RLs have $3,500 marketing support. The first dealer (Tustin Acura) that contacted me offered to sell me, over the phone, a RL for $35,421. The invoice is $38,921 (including $500 shipping) and the marketing support (to the dealer?) is $3,500. I used the Edmunds dealer feature - it worked well.

It may be cheaper to buy a 2003 than lease.

The residuals on the 2003 is ~47-48% (~$21.9k), down from 54% ($23.3k)on the 2000. The 36mo/15k yr lease is ~$535 before taxes due to the low residual. My credit union found one for $570 before taxes.

My insurance company's bank (USAA) is offering 4.99% six year loans, so I'm going to buy out my lease for $23,350 on my 2000 RL, which gives me $376/mo payments for six years.

I hope to be able to sell the car in four years for about the balance due at that time on my loan (~$9,500). I estimate the car will have 110k miles on it.

If I turned my car in, I would have a $750 mileage penalty due, which would have to be "added" to the cost of any other vehicle that I purchased.
  • danfortnerdanfortner Member Posts: 5
    Hello,
    I recently purchased my first REAL LEGIT LUXURY CAR. It is an 99 Acura 3.5 RL with 28350 miles. It is the CLASSIC RL color - Nighthawk Black. A lease return from Mass. I just wanted to ask a few misc things that hopefully other RL owners will have experiance with.

I was going to use Zaino from everyone's recomendation. But i was wondering what everyone uses? Want to get at least a leather conditioner and something that will maintain the AMAZING shine on the black. What should i get - Z-2, Z-3, Z-6 ?

Also I was wondering if anyone has info on tire sizes. The stock wheels are very nice and shine, but ultimatly i would like my next purchase to be some really nice alloys or chrome rims. I am asking because I remember someone saying that either a 17 or 19 SHOULD HAVE FIT, but didn't and requred shaving. Anyone put on different size tires?

Any knowlegde on things you have heard or experianced is greatly appreciated!!!!

I am glad to say that I am now a LEGIT member of this board. I feel SO SO at ease in my RL so far. I bought it Wed, Feb 5th 2003. THANKS
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    at the Chicago Auto Show. I think it opens next Friday, 14th. Any info will be appreciated by all! Supposed to have a V8, that's what I read anyway.
  • jfavourjfavour Member Posts: 105
    I have heard conflicting things. I read today that the 2004 RL is another minor refreshening of the current model with some interior and exterior upgrades and the complete new model won't come out until the 2005 model year. Prior to that I had read people thinking the new 2004 RL would be front wheel drive, based on a lengthened 2004 TL, with a high output V6 or possibly (some people hoped) a hybrid AWD system with a V6. It seems to be the consensus that the new RL will not be a V8 or RWD. I find the latest news (or rumors) very disappointing.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    If you search back 2 or 3 months here, you'll find a number of posts based onw hat was being published re: the hybrid design at that time.

What is certain: Honda does not have a V8 program and sees no reason to try to beat the Big 3 (MB, BMW, Lexus) at their own game. Honda's strong suit has always been technology. So: ?????

JW
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    One thing is almost certain (with Honda rumors, it's never 100% certain)- it's going to be a big V-6...3.8L or 4.0L.

It's expected to have either 300hp or close to it, and similar torque output. With that in mind, I strongly doubt it'll still be FWD, unless Honda can manage to prevent torque steer.
    I just purchased a 2000 RL (my first real luxury car as well) and have many questions. Email me at mattlemon@columbus.rr.com and we can discuss each others questions and maybe help each other out.
    I hope everyone had a good weekend.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=07799113

According to Autoweek.com, Acura says rear drive is not critical to its success.

It says that Acura coupes and sedans with up to 270hp still have a luxurious feel with front drive. Anything more would require all wheel drive.

It looks like the next RL will have AWD. Isn't it supposed to debut at the Chicago Auto Show this weekend?
    thanks for the link. That's a dealer who said that, viper, not an Acura spokesperson. Of course he may still know something.... it could happen!

And the RL is due for Chicago, at least according to the Edmund's teaser for the show.

It's my guess (or hope?) that the TSX ($$) will now fill the bill above the RSX ($) and the TL/CL can move up a notch higher ($$$) with the new RL ($$$$) with full features and between $45k and $50k .... still safely below the MB, BMW, and Lexus price floor but (fingers crossed) with a technologically advanced platform.

It doesn't need to be wildly popular (a luxo hybrid would be interesting) but it does need to be attractive enough to give a halo effect for the rest of the lineup, along with the '05 redesign of the NSX which is also long overdue, no matter how lovely it is.

JW
    A Ferrari you can drive every day.

Why didn't anyone else think of it?

Makes me want to go out and buy lotto tickets!

Honda definitely has the goods to go head to head with MB, BMW, Lexus, and Infiniti. I wonder why they're so conservative. Is it because of cash? They're relatively small compared to the other players, so maybe they don't want to throw cash around like it grows on trees.

You would think that they would have a decent amount of money lying around from the 400,000+ Accords they sell every year in North America alone.
    But the name of their game is profit. Do they have a "loss leader"? I can't think of one. If they get heavily into competition, or too much into the smaller niches (like peformance) then they may not get the return they are used to. No dummies there, just us hungry customers (maybe).

JW
    Honda was, at one point, the smallest of the so-called Japanese Big5. Now they're the 2nd largest, and the only other Japanese brand left that's independently owned. Don't think they'd want to mess with a formula that's been very good to them so far. So if bland and conservative cars got them this far, why mess with it?
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    I went on the Chicago Auto Show website and used their live cameras to panned in on the Acura booth while still under construction and it looked like the RL is pretty much unchanged.

The lights were on so it was hard to see the front. I snapshot the picture, but can't seem to get the imc src syntax right to put it here.
    It's img.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Honda definitely has the goods to go head to head with MB, BMW, Lexus, and Infiniti. I wonder why they're so conservative. Is it because of cash? They're relatively small compared to the other players, so maybe they don't want to throw cash around like it grows on trees.
    Based on my observation, Honda's strategy appears to be profit based growth. This could be one of the reasons why they managed to grow slowly but steadily, even in bad times. Unlike Nissan, they may not be willing to take financial risks, especially in a competitive market, and be gobbled up by a larger player. Nissan too, could revive its lineup because of the cash flow it received from Renault, otherwise $37 billion in debt is nothing to brag about.

From sales point of view, the marketing execs must believe that there is little to no advantage going RWD, and they may be right. Acura may be heading in the direction that Audi has been using, and Volvo is trying to emulate as well, FWD layout, with optional AWD. This may be reflected in next RL. Even for 2004, it wouldn't surprise me if Acura lifted the power train off Acura MDX, including VSA, and put it in the RL. It would give the flagship a much needed shift in terms of bragging rights, the 260 horses to go with it.
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    If so, what's been refreshed on the outside? Nothing I can see. If they refreshed the interior, it should include at least dual zone climate control for the front seats, in-dash cd changer, and side curtain air bags. Personally, the RL shouldn't have less functionality than the new TSX. If Acura didn't make the changes listed above to the '04 RL, I may start looking elsewhere for my premium sedan fix.

I hope Acura does the right thing. We'll see on Saturday...
  • ndboomerndboomer Member Posts: 20
    I have long admired the RL, partly because there is no Acural dealer in my town and there are very few around here, adding to its cache. It is a handsome car that by all measures rides great and is durable.

I have been driving my '96 Camry since new in Dec. of '95. It only has 58k miles and drives perfectly, but I am getting antsy. I plan on buying something in 12-24 months. My question: with the new model coming out soon, will the resale value of the current model RL's take a nose-dive over the next couple years?

If the new '02 and '03 models are being discounted to $35-$37K, what would you predict to be the target for a low mileage (20-30k)'02 RL in a couple years? Any educated guesses would be appreciated.
  • goldkeygoldkey Member Posts: 36
    If what people are saying here about how 04 RL is shaping up to be is the case, that's exactly where I want RL to be. No major configuration change; remain V6 with FWD and no major exterior restyling as current is just fine.
    What RL needs as just a bit of power boost, in-dash CD, few extra comfort features, that's it. And most importabtly - remain in the same price range. I also wish RL got better fuel efficiency, but without using V-Tec engine it is not going to happen.
    04 RL might be just a stopgap measure for Acura. As drastically redesigned RL is not ready yet, but current version desperately needs some refreshening even if for psychological reasons. But that stopgap version might be exactly what many people are looking for. I would have bought 03 RL right away had it had at least one of the items from my wish list in comparison with 02s. But 03 came disappointingly same as 02.
    As to question of prosepcitve prices for used 02s 03s. RLs suposed to have steeper depreciation over their MB, Lexus counterparts. But with recent manufacturer discounts on new ones, I haven't seen that translate into better prices for used ones. I've seen asking prices on used RLs ridiculously close to what you get new one for these days. But by any reason they should collapse. Used 02s should be in low 20s in few years. There is no point of paying a penny more for used RL. Maintenance costs after warrantee expires is really high for RLs.
  • 4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    I wouldn't expect prices to collapse for used RL even w/ a dramatic redesign. The car is already significantly discounted up front. The main attraction of the RL, imho, is a quality car, trouble free performance, conservative styling(positive for some, negative for others)many luxury features at an affordable price(whether new or used). This will still be the case with a new redesign. Granted the redesign might be a hot item, but the value of the old model will still be there. There's also the possibility that the new design might not be real well received. That might even benefit the old design(think Legend).

As far as goldkey's comment about high maintenance costs after warranty, that has not been my experience at all. My RL has been trouble free w/ 104K. That is one of the reasons I went with this car in the first place and I have not been disapointed. I'm not one to pamper a car and this one has just been driven. I do nothing beyond oil changes and just drive until a problem arises. Maybe I've been lucky, but i don't think so. just my $.02
    In today's article on AutoWeek, it mentions the '04 RL as "a 2004 Acura RL with major interior upgrades"....

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=autoshows&loc_code=&content_code=01803770

Acura has a meeting with the media tomorrow, so we should have some solid information at that time.
  • retnavretnav Member Posts: 25
    At post 1133 on 26 Jan I asked for comments from MB owners as I was considering trading my 2000 RL for a new MB E-320. mfaraino1 replied with a very thoughtful and helpful answer. On 28 Jan I traded for the MB. So far I really like the car and after 24 years of Honda/Acura ownership try something new. Nevertheless, I will continue to monitor the RL board. Thanks for the reply mfaraino1.
    Post #1190 mentioned that Acura is to make announcement today about plans and details for 04RL.
    I also noticed that on Edmunds site for Future vehicles all refrences to 04RL as future vehcile have been removed and replaced with 05 RL without any more info. I wonder what's the story. Looks like Acura is not ready for major RL redesign by 2004 production cycle. But I can't beleve 04s will continue to be the same as 03s, which is the same as 02s, which is essentially the same going back to 96. Yes, Acura is conservative company, but it was never distinguished as technologically outdated either to have their flagship so lacking in modern technological innovations and trends.
    So, I am intrigued what is the stopgap solution Acura has for RL?
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    BMW, Lexus releasing new models of 5, GS this fall. If the RL is just upgrade, Acura might as well forget about this market segment.
    It's just an upgrade. The redesign comes in Spring 2004 as a 2005 model.
    I just finished watching Acura's Media Meeting via the live cams from the Chicago Auto Show. Looks like there were only interior upgrades for the '04 RL. I didn't notice any updates on the outside (maybe because the live cams don't provide good up close shots).

I guess we'll have to wait on an update from the media....
    for this time in a couple of recent articles, links posted on this site in fact. Just interior upgrades ... much needed.

The current RL certainly doesn't compete with the 5 or the GS. Its competition is with other $35k cars, no matter its MSRP as this is where it sells. Think ES300, Avalon, etc. It's a very niche market. People who buy this change their own oil and expect to change out their own brakes, or do it at the corner station, at 105k.

The '05 Acura, if a drastic revision, will win new buyers and send many of the old ones scurrying for the used car dept.

JW
    Having the CD in the dash will be nice.

This sounds like a rewritten announcement for the '02. Then they featured an added 10-15 hp and OnStar. Now it's standard Nav and XM radio.

Dear Honda: Yawn.

JW
    Does this XM radio is a complete substitute for traditional radio? I mean, what happens if I don't subscribe to that service? will I still be able to listen to the traditional free commercial radio? There are plenty of commercial-free stations on regular FM/AM band.
    3 month of free subscription!? Ooh-ha!
    If RL pushes this thing on people, I expect consumer revolt.
  • bobbycarbobbycar Member Posts: 12
    It should be cheaper to buy a used 2003 in 2006 than to buy a used 2000 now in 2003.

2000 lease residual - 54% >> $23,350 lease buyout
    2003 lease residual - 47% >> $21,915 lease buyout

Based on this, I expect the 2002/2003s to sell as used cars in 2005/2006 ~5-10% lower in price than the 1999/2000s are right now.

Also, buying a 2003 for $35,421 and expecting about 18% price depreciation each year (.82) for three years gives a price of $19,530.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    I'll just live with my '96 RL (76K miles) until the 2005 model shows up. The trunk-loaded CD changer isn't THAT BAD. No car payments, and I can handle the cost of two services per year every 7500 miles.

When that '05 makes its appearance, if it has 270 to 325 hp and doesn't exceed $50K MSRP, I'll talk turkey with Acura. Till then, I expect to continue the trouble-free miles I've enjoyed ever since I picked this one up in Oct. 2000 with 36.8K miles.
    dan,

I tried to email you at your aol email address, but it kept bouncing back. please email me at mattlemon@columbus.rr.com if you have another email address.

matt
  • danfortnerdanfortner Member Posts: 5
    I was wondering what kind of paint my 99 Acura RL has: clear-coated paint or regular pain?

Keep in mind that I think Acura switched the method of painting slightly from 99 to 00. But still not knowing enough about these terms, I don't know if that would even effect if it was clear or reguar coated pain.

THANKS (tjones my e-mail is danfortner@snet.net, sorry)
    If it's the paint you mean ;-) Acura's process until '02, as I understand it, was six coats, clear coat included. Honda paint is noted for its quality and depth.

JW
  • satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    I must assume that someone at Acura checks these boards to keep a finger on the public's pulse. Therefore let me express my complete disappointment with the lack of a totally new car for 2004. At hondanews.com they rave about the sales figures for the other Acura models but strangely say nothing about the RL's sales figures for 2002. Plus the news releases for the 2004 RL mostly gush about the stupid new radio thus proving there's really nothing to get excited over for 2004.

In short, Honda you blew it. 2004 should have been the year for an all new RL. I love my 2002 RL but will go out of my way to encourage anyone who is considering a new RL to simply avoid the 2004 altogether. Besides, there's still a few 2002's sitting on dealer lots (not to mention 2003's). Buy one of them and save some $$$$.

I've now finished my rant. Good night.

Relentlessly,
    Lee
    Go to autosite.com. RL sold twice that of the RWD V8 Infiniti Q45 in January. Also sold more than the Infiniti M45, Audi A8, V8 Lexus GS430. It's not just for January - it's been that way for a while.

You can see why Honda is reluctant to go RWD and V8 with the RL, not just to stand behind their philosophy, but because unless you're Lexus, BMW or Mercedes, V8 and RWD doesn't sell.
    probably has more to do with the mid-level car price rather than the RL's "quality." On a level field, I can't think of buying my RL -- which I like just fine -- vs. the cars you mentioned, diploid.

JW
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I agree with jwilson. If you use "volume" as an indicia of quality or consumer preference, that indicative factor can be very misleading. If one can buy a Q45, M45 or A8 for the price of an RL, you will definitely see a tremendous surge in volume of these other great automobiles.

The RL is a fine car at a mid-30s price tag, but suffers from lack of technological improvements. Honda has to do something quickly if it wants to retain RL followers, who have spent good money in buying a flagship car, which supposedly is the torch bearer of the Honda/Acura nameplate.
    I'd like to see them name it the "Phoenix."

JW
    I think the name "Phoenix" is very appropriate for the "torch bearer". It needs a lot of flames, heat, light and energy to re-ignite the dying RL.
    Joe, you are such a poet.
    Would be just fine with me.
  • 4bearhug4bearhug Member Posts: 52
    I can agree w/ the point of kennyg5 about price driving RL volume, but have to question including M45 in that group of cars listed. And people complain about RL styling? I'll take conservative/bland styling any day over retro/ugly.

You could really say that pricing drives all car volume, whether it be $20k or $45k. What car wouldn't have higher sales if the price was dropped 20%. Even the Pontiac Aztek might.....no, I not sure even that would help move that design.

Not disagreeing with the point, just don't think the M45 fits with that group of cars.
    I'll stick with kenny's examples: there is nothing any of us wouldn't like in the M45 beneath its skin .... just like the WRX and a new onslaught of pretty 'unlovely' performance vehicles that we all like, even with their odd looks, for their substance ;-))).

JW
    Personally, I very much like RL's current styling and am not thrilled with the M45. But whereas style preferences can be very subjective and vary among individuals, technology benchmarks can be judged more objectively, such as certain expected industry standards for specific car segments.

For clarification, I listed M45 along with other "comparable" cars simply because of its price and standing in the luxury car segment -- style or no style has nothing to do with the list.