Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Thomas Stanley wrote a book called "The Millionaire Next Door." He discovered that most millionaires drive Fords. They also do not lease. In another of his books, he mentioned that personally he always owns a two to three year old premium Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura that he purchased used at a good price. Based on his two books, I recommend that you buy this 28K mile creampuff, and start planning what you will do with your million dollars.
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    Sell the car on your own. If you can get more than $23000, pocket the diff and buy or lease new. BTW pay less per month in the future by negotiating less miles per month. It seems you don't use 12K per year. If you can't get $23000 for the car, then, by definition, it's not worth it. Personally I like to stick with what I know. Is the car working to your liking? Do you like the car? Does the new model (of whatever you are looking at) have features you can't live without?

You need to look at all these questions and more. It can't just be a financial decision because a new car is never a good financial decision. ;-)

Mike
  • bwoolley1bwoolley1 Member Posts: 4
    Everything I have heard is pointing towards a V6 hybrid for the next RL. It will have atleast 300hp and achieve 30-40 mpg. If everything goes as planned the new RL with change the premium market. It will also be larger then the current model, probably to accomodate the fuel cells.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    I have heard the same thing and it has ALL been mentioned on this board, LOL, and I agree except for the 300 horses. I doubt this will happen but we'll see.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    If they go the route of using hybrid power, as has been widely rumored, then 300 hp is a given. It's expected that the new V6 used in the 2004 TL will run between 270 and 280 horsies. Even the Civic's IMA system would produce enough power to put it near 290 ponies. 20-30 horses is not much given that the IMA used in the RD-X design offers about 50 hp.

So, if they use an IMA system, I'd guess the hp rating to be somewhere between 310-330.
  • chiggy45chiggy45 Member Posts: 10
    Beyond the engine, the RL needs to be heavily upgraded on in the inside. I mean, the 2004 RL has less luxury options than the Honda Accord EX V6. So, whatever they do, they need to go beyond the normal Honda or even the TL. It would be nice to see some reclining/vibrating/heated/cooled seats in the back. What do you think?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    If so, since you can write it off, I'd stay with the lease.

You don't say what the car looks like .... if it's still 'like new' and you're not looking at anything that is remarkably different .... I'd stay with what I've got, unless you can make money on the individual sale of course!

As your customer, I'd be more impressed (and comfortable) riding to see a property in the RL than in a plain 'ol vanilla Honda -- Real estate seems to me to have alot of image stuff attached to it .... I'd go with aLexus or M-B personally, not because they're better cars but because they offer a status image customers might like and because you can write the car off.

What will you decide? JW
  • msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    rumors were that this car was to be updated in 02. Did not happen. Same for 03 and 04, did not happen. More importantly than a total upgrade, Honda did NOT even make a few changes to this marque that would have kept owner/buyer interest. Examples include the VTEC engine from the MDX and five speed auto tranny. Why???? This would have cost Honda virtually nothing, but would have helped keep things fresh until the "big" change (whatever that is). Huge mistake in my opinion. I was fired up to buy the "new" RL in 02. Did not happen and when it became clear that there was no end to the "new RL" saga, I gave up and bought a BMW. Super car which I love, and maybe I should be happy that Honda screwed this up so bad, but in my heart, I am not happy. Honda needs to kick itself in its butt over poor handling of RL upgrades and its poor information output re new models (only Japanese products are this tight mouthed), which do not help sell models to those not simply walking up to the showroom. Good luck, Honda, but you could have sold MANY more RLs over the past few years with even modest changes (which were already part of your existing offerings). Shame on you for your insensitive behavior towards die-hard RL fans.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    The RLs aren't that bad. They are sell more than the new Infiniti M45 in the same price range and that has a 340 hp V8. Acura sold 4500 RLs since June and Infiniti has sold about 1600 models. Just goes to show that throwing in a V8 with lots a power isn't the answer. (Honda executives said the same thing in an interview a few months back).

The new RL design probably won't happen until 05/06 because they are currently debuting the new completely redesigned 04 TL this fall and TSX. The RL and NSX are the last two models in need of a redesign. I guess they want to make sure they get it right.

Currently the RL has 3.5L 225 hp which is competitive with its other front wheel drive 6-cylinder competitors.

(FWD) Volvo S80 2.9L 194hp I-6
    (FWD) Audi A6 2.8 3.0L 220 hp V-6

The reason why there is no VTEC in the RL is because the engine was design to provide power at the low rpms. VTEC is used to get more power at higher rpms usually around 3500 rpm and higher. VTEC has been around since late 1989. If Acura really wanted VTEC in the RL, they probably would have put it in by now.

The RL offers a lot, it just seems to get a bad rap all the time because it has no V8.
    The Japanese V8 models are pretty much there for press drives. They are not volume cars, but they make the entire model-line look a little better. The RL lacks that halo effect.

I agree that the RL is badly neglected, but I can't fault Acura for not updating it in the past two years. If the rumors about using a hybrid drive train are true, then waiting for it to be viable was probably a smart move.

For example, if they had redone the RL for 2003, it probably would have gotten the MDX's 260 hp engine with FWD and trim/design upgrades similar to everything else on the market. Then we'd have to wait for 2008 for the next redesign. By waiting a bit longer, Honda may be able to release a 2005 RL with a AWD high-performance hybrid system that will be unique and make a bigger splash.

Build a decent product now, or build a superior product a little later.

1943973 - Actually VTEC allows an engine to breathe better at both high and low rpms. Without variable valve technology an engine must pick between high or low rpm performance. Most select a middle ground. With VTEC (or similar systems), the engine can breathe comfortably at any rpm.
    VTEC worked differently back in the old days before the new CL and MDX came out. Back then, it was either on or off at a certain RPM. In the NSX, it was around 5600 RPM. In the S2000, its around 7500 RPM. I can't vouch for the S2000, but I can tell you at 5600, my NSX seems to get a second wind and really moves.

Thats why I don't think the old VTEC technology is in the RL.

From what I've read in the past, the 2005 RL
    - 203 in in length (S-Class, A8L, 745Li size)
    - 3.0L V6 at around 200 hp w/IMA at 100hp giving it a even 300 hp.
    - (AWD) front driven by IMA, rear driven by gasoline like the DN-X
    They are claiming 4WD and now AWD. Maybe from the MDX?

<http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=38178>

The 3.0L iVTEC engine they mention is here

http://world.honda.com/news/2003/4030618_1.html

The technology will probably consists of:

http://world.honda.com/news/2003/4030618_2.html
    Sorry... this is off topic.

Even the earliest versions of VTEC made use of two valve settings. Both are part of the VTEC system. Both improve performance. Both are equally important.

One setting is for high rpm performance. It allows the engine to breathe deeper and longer during each piston cycle. When people remark on VTEC "kicking in", what they mean is the valves have switched from the low rpm setting to the high rpm setting.

The other setting is for low rpm operation. At low rpms, the engine doesn't need to breathe like a marathon runner, shallow and quick breaths are all it takes. This prevents that fish out of water situation. One setting without the other, would be very bad.

Honda's early uses of VTEC were aimed at increasing the total output of the engine. So the low rpm settings were used to increase fuel economy, lower emissions, and keep the engine running smooth. That allowed the engine to build a modest amount of torque in the mid range. When that curve began to fall off, VTEC would engage the high rpms settings and carry that same torque into the higher rpms, where it generates more power. The aggressive valve settings are biased toward the high end since more power was the primary goal.

It didn't have to be that way. If Honda had preferred, they might have biased the engine toward the low end of the RPM band. The low end could have created large amounts of torque in the low range, then used slightly more aggressive valve settings in the mid range to prevent the engine from gasping at the top. This would not have created as much horsepower as the route described in the paragraph above. Such an engine would have been better suited for a towing vehicle or off-roader, not a sports car.

When Honda started building truck-like vehicles, they changed the bias of the VTEC. The MDX required more grunt off the line. So Honda adjusted the VTEC settings to provide more power through the low and mid ranges. It didn't matter that the torque curve tapered off in the high rpms. A high revving engine would have been inappropriate for an SUV.

One good example of this is the 2.4L K-series engine as found in the CR-V and the Accord. In the CR-V, it is biased for power at the low end. That engine makes 162 lb-ft at 3,600 rpms. In the Accord, the same block is biased for efficiency and does not need the same low end grunt. It makes about 161 lb-ft at 4,500 rpms. Both use the same i-VTEC system (just tuned differently) and make 160 horses. The TSX uses a third tuning of the same engine, which provides torque at the low end and power in the upper revs. The catch is a preferrance for premium fuel as well as lower overall fuel economy and emissions.

In the end, the engine uses either the high or low settings depending on which is the appropriate tool for the job. As cars run at both rpm ranges, both are necessary.
    Thanks. So why isn't VTEC incorporated in the RL?
    As far as I can tell, the RL should have VTEC in some form. I would think that a low-end bias would be good for this vehicle. Get the torque up front and make acceleration feel effortless.
    Just from my own experiences with the car, torque on the RL is more than adequate at low rpms. The car doesn't feel bogged down when accelerating from a stop and has more pick up than the Lexus GS 300, Audi A6 2.8 and Volvo S80 that I test drove a few years back. With those models, I had to rev past 4000 rpm before the car started moving at a decent pace.
    Re my post #15 above, that is my point. If Honda was going to wait until 05 or 06 (whenever) to update the RL, OK, no doubt they have business reasons. However, in my humble opinion, they badly hurt the RL by not upgrading it with at least the offerings they had in other lines. For example, the MDX has had the 3.5L V6 with VTEC and 240 HP for several years. The five speed auto has been available with that engine for a similar period. WHY, didn't Honda make these standard in their top of the line brand???? It was essentially a no cost issue for them and would have at least made the brand more comparable to other brands with similar engines/transmissions. To me, this is just crazy. This has nothing to do with the re-do of the exterior/interior styling or any other Techno-Wiz upgrades planned for the future, it is just common sense. BMW has a 528 and upgrades to a 3L and 5sd auto during the E39 model run. They did not wait for the E60 because the competition was killing them with more HP, etc. Same for Acura, not making improvements which were essentially "free" to the company has hurt sales of this car....
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Comparing the RL with the M45 really doesn't say much, seeing as thought the M45 is also a dud. Both the A6 and S80 have more powerful versions available, Acura clearly lacks that. Acura may be competitive with those V6 models, but it's lunchmeat next to the E320, 530i, A6 2.7t and others, when it comes to the overall package, though it's 225hp is within that class' average. Acura killed the RL with most buyers by claiming it competed with the V8 powered versions of those cars, which was a truly ridiculous claim.

M
    No doubt the A6 and S80 have more powerful versions, but they also cost more. Reliablity is pretty important to me. I have reservations about buying any Audi, BMW or Mercedes just for that reason even if they are suppose to be better. I want a car I never have to worry about and the RL is tops in that category. I think Consumer Reports still ranks it very high. So far, the only problem I've had that required me to take it in for service is an 02 sensor going bad as 30k. I'm at 112k now with no problems.

I only mentioned the M45 because its in the same price range as the RL. Its hard to compare an RL to other V8 models because they cost several thousands more. Add up the options on those cars and the price difference it even worst.

Even a BMW 530i will run you around 47k on average (thats not fully loaded either). I have two friends who paid around that much for their cars. The Mercedes E320 will probably be competitive to the 530 in pricing. An RL will be under 40k. Thats a pretty big price difference even for the V6 models!

I think the reason Honda doesn't just through things into their top model is because they are pretty slow about researching the market.

To me, just throwing the MDX engine into the RL would seem like a desperate move. The RL should have its own engine or something unique that makes it stand out from its competitors. I don't think a 260 hp 03 MDX engine would help because journalists would just complain that other brands have 300hp V8 and the RL is still underpowered.
    ...not making improvements which were essentially "free" to the company has hurt sales of this car."

I'm not so sure. How "free" it would be depends on where the engines are built in relation to where the car is assembled. I know that the MDX, Pilot, and Ody are all produced in Ontario and Alabammy. Dunno where they build the RL.

Also, while the MDX's version of the 3.5 is more powerful, the one used in the RL is considerably more refined. With just as much power in the low end, the only folks who would see the difference in performance are those who rev it up. That's not a common practice for lux car owners.

Max power is not the only criterion in this segment.
    BTW, I whole-heartedly agree that the RL has been neglected. I'm not debating that fact. But sometimes it's better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

The RL has been quietly selling at a steady pace (not well, but okay). If they added an all-new engine, it would just call (unwanted) attention to the fact that Acura hasn't really fixed anything. I can see the headlines now, "Acura's flagship engine sinks".

Since they have not made significant changes, they are probably have a huge profit margin on the old design. That money can get turned around and plugged into a worthwhile redesign.
    THIS IS GETTING CRAZY! We are supposed to be talking about the REDESIGNED RL not the current one. If you want to talk about how bad the current one is or how bad Honda is handling it, complain on the Acura RL board please. If you are curious about my opinon on the whole thing, I think the RL competes solely with the S80, Town Car, and Deville. These all are in the same price range and all strive to be the most not sporty, not powerful, not most stylish, but most LUXURIOUS. And really, the Town Car has only a bit more luxury and the RL has MORE than the S80, but the Deville is IMO the best in class due to IMO the best interior of any sedan on the market today. The A6, 5 Series, E Class, GS300/430, M45, etc., all go the sporty route with luxury as a second priority. My opinon about the 3.0 vs. 3.5 is this. Acura SHOULD have put the 3.5 in the RL and added MORE power. I mean, power is a second priority in the Deville, Town Car, and S80, but certainly not in the RL if Acura is doing NOTHING it easily could to make more power. In fact, IMO it would be best if Acura made the 3.0 225 horsepower engine standard with a 275 horsepower version of the 3.5 optional (similar to the TL except with the 3.5 making more power).
    The 2005 RL will look like a larger version of the concept TL which looks like a larger version of the TSX. It will probably have more chrome trim around the bumpers and around the window

image (Photo from the Honda News Media)

(Photo from the Honda News Media)

It will be more conservative than the TL concept. My best guess is that it will look similar to the Audi A8L with Acura highlights.

image (From Edmunds)
  • bongotoobongotoo Member Posts: 10
    Its hot as heck and my A/C stopped working. I understand that the repair people can really milk the money right out of you when doing A/C repairs. Maybe one of you have seen this before and can help me narrow the problem. My A/C works some in the morning when the car itself is not hot. Same thing is ture at night or when the car is in a garage and does not get too hot. The A/C works maybe 70 percent of the time. The air gets warm and at the same time the compressor starts to cycle off and on. Simultaniously, the electric fan also goes off and on. I tried to add freon but it wouldn't take it - at least thats what I was told. When the car sits and bakes in the sun, the A/C does not work at all. I am just wondering if the problem might be electronic temperture control related as opposed to a mechanical problem. Has anybody had this problem or have any ideas about what it might be?
    The A8 sure does look good.

M
    Sure I know what I'm talking about. Do you know what your talking about? Honda did add more power in the 2002 RL. It went from 210 to 225. Why throw a more powerful engine on top of a chassis that was designed back in 1996. As wisely stated by someone else here, its better to build it from the ground up.

Over the past few years, besides reading Honda interviews with their executives, I spend time gathering information on

http://www.autonews.com
    http://www.autoweek.com
    http://www.hondanews.com
    http://www.cardesignnews.com
    http://world.honda.com/worldnews

At home I read Road and Track, Car and Driver, Automobile Magazine, Evo, and Motor Trend. I've been fascinated with Honda cars since I first got a ride in a Honda Prelude back in 1981. Didn't get my first Honda Accord until 1986. Since then, I've moved to Integra Special Edition, and now have Acura RL and Acura NSX. Looking forward to purchasing their DN-X when it comes out as the DNX. (It seems to follow their NS-X prototype pattern back in 1990 later becoming the NSX).

I spend a lot of time looking at designs from other manufacturers comparing the similarities and differences of each design. There is enough information out there that you can kind of piece things together.

Over time you get an idea on what information is real and what sounds bogus.
    in several posts, you seem more intent on picking fights/arguing/flaming other posters. Not sure what this is all about. Don't see much of that by anyone else. If you have opinions, great. Others do to, and information to provide which you can accept or reject, but I would urge you to take the personal note out of your posts. Thanks, and peace.
  • blerner1blerner1 Member Posts: 12
    Check the NHTSA site. June 30,2003

818 Acura 3.5RL Master Cylinder Recall

Although the VIN numbers are not given I know the VIN numbers are those numbers ending in 00013 thru 1000.

The dealers got the recall as of July 18,2003

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/
    Yikes, we have the same subscriptions, except I get CAR instead of EVO, I couldn't justify the $$$ for both. Don't forget: http://www.vtec.net/ too.

M
    One of my favorites...
  • johnnyboy4johnnyboy4 Member Posts: 10
    There is no way of denying it. Acura could have gotten back alot of Legend buyers with this platform. The upgrades were there. All around they would have cost Acura very very little. Consider this the 3.5 engine used by the RL was very similar to the MDX 3.8. The MDX contained a larger head and more aggressive valve timing. That five speed auto is the same as on the TL, TSX... It is not an expensive one. The MDX engine still operated under 6000 rpm for its horsepower amount. Handling was already good, they could have added 17s but after that it would have been additions with no gain. Ride was superb and so were interior materials. The new interior looks very nice. The car was damn quiet. They had an excellent car and the tools to make it even better. Now think about this Acura has been giving 4000 dealer rebate for a while now. If they are able to sell the cars with 2-3k dealer rebate now they have made a gain in money and a good one in sales and credibility. Now for how much these two upgrades cost.

To Acura to adapt it to the RL and produce per each car. $500

How you say do I come up with these consider that Acura will actually be saving a little money with standardizing with other models. Then consider that they are ordering for every model a 5 speed auto except the NSX, which is incredibly low volume.
    In which country does the MDX come with a 3.8L engine?

As for the rest... I agree that the RL has been neglected. But I'm not sure tweaks would have made a big difference.

Redesigning the RL in 2001 or 2002 would have certainly helped sales. The vehicle would have been competitive with some of the others in it's class. However, it would not have leap ahead. With 260 horses and a 5 speed tranny, this revised RL would still be 30-70 horsepower short of the others. Why bother? That lukewarm design would have lasted through 2007 or 2008.

By holding off a few years, Acura now has the technical potential to blow the doors off the market, not merely be competitive. If Acura comes back with a 400 hp hybrid AWD vehicle, will it have been worth the wait?
    My mistake about the MDX it is 3.5. I was thinking of the new RL's rumored V6 displacement.

If sales had gotten a boost and Acura made a little more for the car that would actually mean the car would have lasted till the same year or 2006. That would mean that there would be more money and more of a name to build off of the next time around. Mercedes put this much interest into the CLK because it succeeded.

Competitive against who? Think about it LS430 time 0-60 is what 6.5 or so by most tests. Acura RL is around flat 8. A 5 speed gives maybe .4 off on most cars and those figures should give maybe a 6.8-7.2 o-60 that is BMW 530i to Mercedes E320 time respectively. After that the RL's number of features and build take over at that price. Meatier rubber are not that expensive for the company. Maybe $50. With that 1000 less in incentives you can do that the engine, trans., and rubber easily. Curtains would have been nice but that would have gotten costly.

I really do not believe Acura will introduce that hybrid yet. Atleast not until 2007. A hybrid name makes some shakey and especially in that price range. 400hp? AWD sorry, but now that is what pushes a car to 60k. Not 1 more gear in the transmission and 35 more horsepower.
    Acura did add meatier tires in 2002. It went from 215/60 to 225/55 series. Personally, I prefer the 60 series tires. As for performance, when I test drove the RL, it was plenty powerful. The torque is excellent in this car and it has no problems keeping up with traffic. There isn't even a need to rev it past 3000 rpm in daily driving.
    Well... I've read two "reasonable" rumors. One is that the RL will get a hybrid drivetrain in '05 and the other reports a 3.5 AWD model. I figure this early in the game neither of them are particularly credible.

On the hybrid front, we have an RL with a similar drivetrain to the DN-X concept vehicle shown a while back. That concept was supposed to produce 400 horsies with about 300 going from the V6 engine to the front wheels. The other 100 were from two electric motors rigged up to the rear wheels. A similar (less powerful) version has been shown in the RD-X concept. I doubt very much the RL will get the 400 horses from the DN-X, but 300-330 is certainly possible. A 3.5L V6 making 250-270 horses up front with another 50-60 in electric power is not at all unreasonable. The most recent rumor on this option was printed in MotorTrend as part of an article focused on the DN-X (2007).

The other rumor is based on a sighting of the next RL being tested on a track. The claim is for an AWD RL making 300 horses with the same 3.5L of displacement. I don't recall the rumor stating how AWD was accomplished (VTM-4?). Nor did it explain how they were able to determine displacement and power from a sighting. I assume they have contacts in engineering.

I figure either of these is possible. The RL doesn't need to take on the V8 competition head to head. The bulk of sales are for the 6 cylinder models. The V8s are just there to act as halo cars and make companies look good when the magazines ask for a test car. Either of the two rumored drivetrains could do well against the other sixes.

Personally, I favor the hybrid option. Honda/Acura has been touting these configuration for quite a while. They rarely design concepts that are not intended for production in some shape or form. Also, a hybrid would cause the biggest splash. Acura needs a big splash for this car.
    Use of a hybrid drivetrain would also explain why the RL is so stinkin' late for redesign. The cost would bring the vehicle into the $50K range, not $60K. The competition is already there. The extended warranty on hybrid parts also gives Acura a way to extend the warranty for their luxury customers without increasing the warranty on all Acura cars. Lexus has been making noise about using a hybrid in their luxury sedans. This could be a reaction to something they know about Honda, or vice versa.
    maybe that is only in cali. but there is one for buying a hybrid(tax reduction).
  • damos516damos516 Member Posts: 13
    I've heard the same two rumors about the RL... Hybrid producing 400HP is the word on the street. Not sure how true these claims are but it would be a nice vehicle. Consequently, silence may be GOLDEN... with regard to Acura neglecting this vehicle over the years. This may have been done on purpose so they can come out with a TRUE BANG that would blow all of our minds. A Hybrid producing 400HP with a fuel efficiency of 40MPG (RUMOR) has tweaked my curiosity. I'm not sure if I'd buy one in it's first year though I am very anxious to see and drive it. I trust Honda/Acura but they may need to work out some quirks that owners may have in its initial production stage. That doesn't mean that I won't by one though. I'm just a little leery. However, HONDA/ACURA truly stand behind their vehicles which would urge me to be one of the first on the block to get one. $50K sounds about right with regard to the price.

My understanding from speaking with an Internet Sales Manager at the Acura Dealership is that the front end will resemble the Caddy STS. Not too thrilled about that. I love curves the current body style has. The Boxy look would not do it too much justice.

My understanding is that there were some concept photos floating around on the net 'bout 4 or 5 months ago but have since then, disappeared. Has anyone seen, from a credible source, what this vehicle might look like?
    I will say this, I am aggressively in the market for a new vehicle but don't want to regret buying the current RL and then find myself liking the new even more therefore extending payments if I trade one in for the other.
    I have a '93 10th Anniversary Honda Accord that has 238,700 miles and I'm not trading it in as it's been wonderful to me... I'm trying to stick with Honda/Acura quality but there's not too much to choose from. Any ideas?
  • damos516damos516 Member Posts: 13
    All,

Does anyone have any pictures of the 2005 RL Concept?
    Like you, I daydream about the idea of a 400 hp hybrid, but I doubt very much we'll see that much power. I think 300-330 is a more reasonable expectation.

At this time, Acura probably has not decided on the sheetmetal. If they decided on the design this early in the game, it would look old before hitting the showroom floor. Given that the TL seems to have advanced the styling of the TSX, I think we can expect to see the same design themes played out in the new RL.
  • jcinscjcinsc Member Posts: 1
    I think I need some help...

First of all, I have a 99' RL Pearl White and it's been with me since day one over 4 years now. I purchased the extended warranty when I got the car new and now I found out the passager side headlight is not as bright/blue bright as the other. I am not sure if this means I need to get a pair of new bulbs like Philips D2R 6000K or I can go in and let dealer take care of that.

The second question is that I got a 2003 CLK430 Convertible, black/black with AMG wood trims and AMG chrome wheels. It was so hard to get one I had no choice but took one without the K4 package, which means there is no heated front seats and no HID. I can live without the heated seats, but I really want to have the HID headlights on it. So my question is what type of the bulbs I should get and how can I learn to install them myself...Are they just as easy as changing a bulb at home? simply take the old ones off and swap with new ones?

I am a dummy when talking about working on cars... So I really need help.. Please advise...

PS. I got a ticket on my way back from San Diego for my front window tinted. I went to the local glass tinting store and had it removed this morning. (front only) It actually did not look too bad with the rear windows and back windshield of 15% tinted. I thought pre-paid to put the front back with 20% after I get the ticket corrected. but now I wonder if I should put it back on...

John
    Acura 3.5 RL - 1999
    Pearl White
    Sherman Oaks - Los Angeles, CA
    Whoever created that image had the sense to use design elements from the new TL. The rear quarter window, headlights, and headrests all appear to be similar.

Which could also mean they just photo-chopped a pic of the TL concept.

I doubt very much that the designers even know what the final sheetmetal will look like. So I expect photo-chop is the correct explanation.

Thanks for sharing! I don't mean to be ungrateful, or anything.
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    The '05 RL will go on sale in April '04 and the concept will debut at the Tokyo Auto Show in October. As a result, the design is most likely done and the vehicle is going through extensive testing at this point. Based on how the concept TL compares to the actual '04 TL that will debut in October '03, I'm willing to bet this sketch of the '05 RL/Legend very closely resembles what will be in production. Minor tweaks may be done to the front and ends, but this sketch is consistent the 'family' theme Acura is trying to create going forward. Just look at the TSX and the '04 TL.

In addition, the '05 RL has already been seen running tests in Tokyo. Unfortunately, I have not seen any pics yet.

Just my 2 cents.
    April? Wow, I was expecting later in 2004 (like August). If April is correct, then you are probably right. The basic design should be near completion.

I've also read the the RL has been seen in testing, but it was my impression that it was just driveline testing. That can be accomplished using a hand-built test mule with no relation to the finished product, or with some other car.
  • kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    I wouldn't tint the windshield...it affects the visibility more than you realize. More than that, it can really irritate the PD if they pull you over at night and because of your tinting they can't see who or what is inside the car.

Getting the CLK HID lights at this stage of the game may be impossible. It may require much more than just a bulb change. There are different electronics required for the high intensity lamps, and you still wouldn't have the auto level mechanism.
  • peedylegspeedylegs Member Posts: 2
    None of these rumors are consistent with what I heard at dealers (though this was last September). Then, I was told the 04 model would be just like the 02/03 (pretty much the same car) expect it would have AWD, a maybe a slighly more powerful V-6. The 05 model would be a completely new vehicle with a V8 in the $60,000+ range, desinged to compete with the upscale cars from Lexus, BMW, etc. This car would carry an entirely new name, with the TL basically moving in to fill the RL void (The TL is already very comparable to the RL).

That said, I just today got in the mail a brochure.."be one of the first to own and 04 RL". Seems like the only real change is that it now has satellite radio. I'm not getting close to another Acura product until they get serious and drop a V8 in something.
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    Alot has changed since last September....

Most of discussion has been on the '05 RL. The '04 RL was released earlier this year(April, I think) with only interior enhancements. It has already been confirmed that the '05 RL will be AWD drive and will have 300hp. We'll get our first 'un-masked' look at the '05 RL at the Tokyo Auto Show in mid October.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I'm not too happy with that of late. Nissan is doing it now. Mazda is starting to do it now. Honda did it with the new Accord. BMw and Audi started it all and Chrysler followed suit soon after. I don't like cars looking like streched versions of other cars. Your whole line of cars comes across as weird looking if you do it like that. The refreshed Sentra looks awkward now. For Example, The 01-03 Sentra is bland but the SE-R with the tinted headlights at least gave the car a respectable appearence before the 04 Sentra came out with the Maxima grille.