Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    wow you guys must hit it hard. I get around 20 city and 25 highway.

The 2000 RL's coming off lease are a great car for around $20k. I am pondering getting another one. I bought my current '00 new and have had 44k of great performance.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    I live on a 604 sq. mile island, so not much chance for extended drives. It would be worse except I rarely get caught in the morning and afternoon traffic jams. 19 mpg isn't that bad.

I've put on 54K miles since 10/00 and the car still runs smoothly. I'm not trading it when I get another car ('04 TL; truck; or whatever) - keeping it around as a spare set of wheels.
  • pjamupjamu Member Posts: 11
    I got a deal of 21000$ + tax for 2000 RL certified with 37000 miles on it. It also has navigation and CD changer.

Do you think this is a good deal?

One thing that i am concerned about is - It was bought by the dealer in auction and the dealer does not have its repairs or maintenance history. They did the usual certification related inspection and servicing. The dealer also promptly came down to my asking price and that made me start thinking about the reliability of buying such auctioned car. Do you think it is a risk? Why would the car be auctioned? It was leased originally. I am not familiar with this auction stuff for cars. Carfax is clean, but could there be any other loopholes? How to be certain about its history?

I found out that many dealers buy cars from auction, then certify then through inspection and servicing and then sell it with profit. My first question then is why would the car be auctioned at low price if it is in good condition? Any help?

THe deal is good, but only if the car was kept good and there were no major failures or accidents. The auction thing gives me insecure feelings. I would appreciate all the inputs here.
  • phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    Honda finance is auctioning the RL's coming off lease because they have to get rid of them. Dealers get the first shot and then they go to a general auction. It is amazing how cars move around the country. The only ones I would avoid are those that spent time in the Northeast because of salt in the winter. I am in the south Central US where rust is not an issue.

You can find out its warranty history from an Acura dealer. Contact the service manager and give them the VIN. They can tell if any serious work was done.

In general, RL's like these coming off lease with around 30k miles are cream puffs.

Yours is certified so you have powertrain warranty to 100k which should cover you pretty good. I think $21 for an RL with Nav is fair.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    If a dealer has 2 RLs and another comes in, he is likely to auction what he's pretty sure he won't be selling so a dealer who needs a car can get it for a quicker turnover. I wouldn't worry at all.

I think it sounds like a good deal. There's no guarantee about the car, obviously, but you can ask the service mgr. to look up the warranty history on the car (as Mr. Mason suggested) and you've got a 100000 mile warranty. Not much more to ask about. JW
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    It should not be necessarily a negative factor. It's the leasing company that owns the vehicle, not the dealership. In my case, Mazda American had me return the Millenia directly to the auction house, not any of the dealerships. Any dealer (not just Mazda) was free to bid on it.

Even though Mazda values sank like a rock, it wasn't my problem. The car was in good shape, with 42K miles (the lease allowed 50K). If a dealer got it low enough to turn a profit on its re-sale, that was his good luck.
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    I know we're not supposed to link to other sites but I found this very brief article on the new RL and I'm posting it in its entirety.

"Whenever you talk to the experts about Acura, the first words out of their mouths are RWD and 8 cylinder.

Speculation has been rampant that the next RL would be a RWD 8 cylinder.

The Spies say that couldn't be further than the truth.

We've learned that Acura will not only go against conventional wisdom and NOT make a RWD, 8 cylinder car, but create a new revolution with the first 300HP, 6-cylinder HYBRID engine!!!!

Wow!

Imagine no performance compromise AND 40MPG!

Forget the Prius, this will be the car to own if these rumors are true...

The car will be shown to dealers at their meeting in August and be available in the October/Novemeber timeframe.

Also, look for an even better design interpretation than the new TL. We're told the new RL is WAY more attractive.

We can't wait!

By the way, the American car companies are planning their killer strategy by waiting to have a car like this for ten years, so they can TOTALLY lose this market to the Japanese! ;)"
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    beating the tuned Civic at the stoplight AND getting 40 miles to the gallon. Talk about waiting lists!
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    This car is suppose to be a status symbol. Hybrid is good if you want to please the environmentalists but nothing beats RWD V8 when it comes to power, ride and handling. When will Acura realize that?

P.S. - Honda/Acura has no concept about torque.
    I disagree. If you can make a FWD car drive almost as good as a RWD car in some cases (Volvo S60, Saab 9-3, Acura TL) then by all means, save development $$$ and use FWD, with a V6 and a Hybrid.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Motown - That's not entirely true. The hybrids you may be familiar with are indeed designed to please the greenies of the world. But there are other uses for the designs.

Toyota, for example, is using an HEV V6 in the Lexus RX and Highlander to provide V8 power. Honda is using an HEV V6, which will crank out more power than the 240 horsies already found under the Accord's hood. And because electric motors crank out gobs of torque, they serve well for your purposes.

I doubt very much that these performance-tuned hybrids will get the 40 mpg that Jchan mentioned, but they will serve a dual purpose.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    I agree the RX400h looks like a real winner. The only real problem with hybrids is unkown reliability and maintenance costs. Also, the battery which only has a 5 year warranty costs $5,000+ to replace. Ouch! With one battery replacement, all of your fuel savings go out the window.
    costs will go down with more and more hybrids on the road.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=01990871

Look forward to seeing the concept at the New York auto show. I'm glad they are sticking to a V6 rather than caving in and listening to critics that know little to nothing about cars.
    NO V8 OR RWD!!!!!!!! (drivers can be environmentally friendly and kill the tuned Neon at the stoplight)
    I am all for saving the environment, but there are potential problems with hybrids that you all are overlooking.

(1) The complicated hybrid powertrain would require dealer maintenance. I don't think any independent mechanic would touch that car with a 60 foot pole.

(2) Any savings at the gas pump would more than be offset by higher price tag of hybrid cars.

(3) When it is time to change the battery pack, the price of a new one could cause sticker shock. For the Toyota Prius it is about $2000. For a car like the RL it could be $5000+ as someone pointed out.

Therefore, IMO a normally aspirated V8 would actually be cheaper to own in the long run.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Yes, there have been some studies using current gas prices + current price of a hybrid vs. traditional gas vehicles, and I believe the cost savings aren't realized until around the 100K miles point.

However, as a person who hates to stop for gas, I would enjoy the convenience of being able to drive for longer periods of time without filling up. There is, also, the environmental aspect of the vehicle, which has a strong pull for some folks.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    varmint,

not every electric motor has strong torque curves at lower RPM, however DC (direct current) electric motors do have amazingly good torque at lower rpm and since the electric system in a car is DC (even though the alternator produces AC) the electric motors used in hybrids show excellent torque. So it's all good in the end. (this is why electric locomotive powered trains use DC motors and not AC motors).

Look at this scenario. Lets say the next RL comes with a 3500 cc engine with 300 hp, with its latest iteration of ivtec and everything i expect its torque curve to start in the 2500-3000 rpm range. But during this first 800 (idle)-2500 rpm range, the electric motors (assumed to give 100 lb-ft) are churning on the rear wheels. So even if the gas engine in the front is only pushing like lets say 150 lb-ft, you got a total of 250 lb-ft of torque gunning out, with a little forward bias... and if you really scream the accelerator past 2500 rpm, you could get the entire torque spectrum, about 230-240 odd in the front and 100 in the back. that's a ton load of torque to pull this car (and not push)... but given how close to neutral the TL and TSX are, the RL could really pull off a neutrality. And then you have the fact that you have a engine that's ready to hit 5-6K rpm easy due to the nature of the honda engines and in theory this could lend itself to a wonderfully screamable assemblage.... just in theory so far.

motown:
    i would like to point out, that firstly, in most cases, first owners of luxury cars dont take their cars to non-dealers to fix and secondly, the maintenace history of the hybirds on the road is nothing bad compared to regular cars from same car makers (toyo, honda)... so i would not worry about the 60 foot poles as yet.

just my 2 cents...
    ksso
    sometimes you are the windshield
    sometimes you are the bug...
    Kso - Thanks for the clarification on DC electrics.

Honestly, there are too many variables for us to speculate without more information.

DC electric motors do provide lots of torque at rpm 1 and they can typically rev over a very wide range. However, they lose torque almost immediately. For example, I believe the Prius makes something close to 250 lb-ft at 1 rpm, but less than 100 by the time the engine reaches idle speed.

Also, if the electrics drive the rear wheels only, will they have a separate transmission, or just rev freely? With a free revving design, the electric would spin pretty fast at higher speeds and not provide much torque, at all.

If the RL goes with Honda's more traditional IMA approach (the electric motors work through the engine's transmission), then we get more torque at the start of each gear. It just loses the direct connection to the rear wheels.

Bottom line. It's fun to speculate, but we don't know much.
    thanks for pointing that out, but that's why i said, 'scenario'... being one of many likely...

and yes, very true, DC motors lose torque faster as RPM grows, but, if you sustain the RPM independently and gear it seperately then you have a multitude of possibilities, hmmm but then the cost will go through my roof, so maybe the best option might be to get the traction through the engine/transmission IMA layout... i'm sure those guys worked these things out, IF they are going this route...

ksso
    I like not stopping often for gas and saving the environment.
    The best solution would be to offer a V6 hybrid alongside a gasoline V8. Btw, offer a 5 or 6 speed automatic. If the TL and TSX can have 5 speed auto why not the flagship RL? Honda/Acura's decision making process is very strange.
    they should just drop it from the line up..

ksso
  • sirdarbysirdarby Member Posts: 20
    A mechanic at the dealership in Atlanta this week told a buddy of mine not to expect any significant change in the RL. Humnnn.
    I think it'll be launched in New York.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    'cause I'm getting bored. There's no buzz on this car whatsoever... Lexi or Beemer put out a redesign and the whole world holds it breath.. Acura prefers to snooze through these intros...what a shame. I hope I'm in for a pleasant surprise.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Honda always does that. Whats new with that? They did it with the new TL and new Accord. They did show pictures for the TSX and RSX but those aren't cars to sell to to the masses. I guess honda wants to surprise the masses with a redesign. This is Honda's biggest car they have ever done in my opinion. If they don't get hit the 05 RL right it won't bode well for the image of the Acura brand. Honda is the best car company when it comes to putting out a good overall product.
    but, they didn't wait so long that by the time TL came back with a super BANG, people were already buried and snoring in their graves... however graceful and pleasing i thought the RL was back in 1997, I'm losing patience. My love for Honda is largely driven by interest in their "dare" to experiment on the cutting edge lately, maybe not so much as in exterior design but as much in the interior "content" and the wizardry in their spectacular little engines...

But, after several thousand years of waiting, my patience is thinner than the thinnest rotors on any brakeless car i've driven...

I'll just assume their concept could not be converted into a manufacturable car and just trade my type s for a new type s and go on with my life...

ksso
    You could buy a TL.
    i've a 3 series to make me feel good about hugging the road.. so my TL needs are taken care of. if i'd more money, i'd get the Jag XJ, but I'm not anywhere there... so what's left in between? I love the new 5, minus the tail... i absolutely love the looks of the new E, but i'm not ready to pay about 16K for options... so i'm looking to go a little al-cheapo on that end... and the type s fits my budgets fine. I disdain the blandness of lexus and i dislike the looks of the infiniti... and too many of my friends complain about build quality on their nissan/infinity cars... so i'm mostly cornered myself into either the type s or i keep hoping a RL will come along and charm me, like the one back in 97... which looks remarkably the same today... and honestly if you sit inside the RL today, it seems like you sat inside the interior of a 1998 honda accord... that's a bit too BAD.

thank you, no.
    ksso
    if you wait, the new RL will be here. (hopefully)
  • tls02tls02 Member Posts: 20
    In the 2/1 issue of Long Islands Newsday newspaper, an article says that the 05 RL Concept will be shown at the auto show. The article also says that the new RL will have 300 HP and be All Wheel Drive and that the actual car will be closer to the concept. The article says that at least 8 local dealers have been told this. It also says that Acura is sticking with a 6 cylinder. Dealers will see the new car at their dealer meeting Aug. 26 in Chicago. The new car might be a Hybrid with 300 HP in FWD and 100 HP Electric (?) in back.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    You'd have to pay 16K in E-Class options??????

M
    its actually closer to 10-11K
    <eom>
    its now, in the next few months, or never...
    $16,000 doesn't sound so far off. $10,000 in options to get some pretty basic stuff that are standard elsewhere. (ParkTronic is a lofty $2000) The base model doesn't really have a lot on it minus the Mercedes Badge and leather seats.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Parktronic is not 2K its $1060.

The E320 bases at $48,170.00, and with:

322 Appearance Package details $3,880.00

Curve Sensing Bi-Xenon Headlamps
    5 Spoke 17" Wheel
    Sculpted Lower Bodywork (Note the RL doesn't offer anything like this, standard or optional)

323 Heating Package details $900.00

Heated Steering Wheel & Heated Front Seats

326 Premium Package details $3,650.00

· Rear Side-Windows Roller Blinds
    · Active Ventilated Seats/Front
    · Glass Sunroof
    · Driving Dynamic Seat-left
    · Driving Dynamic Seat-right
    · COMAND System w/DVD Navi
    · Power Rear-Window Sunshade
    · Premium Sound System
    · Factory Installed CD Changer

(Some other things Acura doesn't offer either standard or optional)

I came up with a bascially loaded MSRP of $57,270.00, which is a $9100.00 difference. Hardly 16K, and such an E320 has much more than the current RL.

Thats one of the differences between a Mercedes, BMW or Audi and a Acura. The German cars don't have to trade on that leather/sunroof/CD hype. There are two ways to look at this, either you want those things or you don't. BMW, MB and Audi give you a choice, Acura doesn't. This also means your RL is just like the other 8K that were sold last year, the only possible differences are either it has a nav or not, and the color.

M
    I though NAV was now standard with the RL?
    just wondering.. i'll be town just in case they want me to still be interested... lol
    about like 5 more months to wait on this car. Can't wait to see how the public preceives once it comes out. Brand new STS comes out at the same time battles out with the RL. It will be a showdown!
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    I was told by a dealer will look like TL just bigger and more luxurious. Anyone heard that too? The new GS might be head to head with it next year.
    it'll be interesting to see Edmunds compare the GS300, the RL and the all new Cadillac STS.
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Boy this new RL is gonna have to be pretty special to upseat the new TL just in feature content alone. What else could they add that the TL doesn't cover memory seating, power tilt memory steering wheel, laser cruise, rear seating controls, ac cooled seating? It's probably gonna be a near 50K car I'd wager, have around 300 ponies which would make FWD a big issue with torque steer so all bets are AWD is pretty certain.

I hope it's more of a true drivers car as opposed to the current sleeper. It sounds like this new upcoming model will be all the buzz, the current RL is so forgotten by the press and public.
    There'd be quite a bit of room of improvement I think. First of all, make the interior a true luxury car. TL has too much cheap leather and plastics. And how about some features already on an 'ES' but not on TL: auto rain-sensing wipers, sunshades, auto one-touch up/down on all-windows, and auto light-on. Of course being a $40K+ car, it's gonna offer more! Look that is like the new TL is cool. Anything is better than the current TL, come to think of it.
    A bigger TL, more features, AWD, higher price tag.
    What? The TL is best class in its class in my opinion for value. The Es 330 doesn't do much for me on the exterior. The offerings from the Germans the reliability isn't that good in my opinion(audi, Mercedes.) I don't think the new 5 Series looks better than the new TL either. I would rate BMW the favorite as far as upper-luxury cars go but this new styling Its too drastic and couple that with the I-Drive. The new TL is selling well so Honda must be something right.
    "Of course being a $40K+ car, it's gonna offer more! Look that is like the new TL is cool. Anything is better than the current TL, come to think of it."

I meant anything is better than the current RL! Easy pal...
    the current RL had nothing to offer really. I hope this one has something to offer over the competition. Upping the horsepower and adding AWD can't hurt anything but also can help a little. The vehicle can't be overstyled though.
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    I doubt it will be overstlyed, Acura has always had classic good looks that age well, no extra frills in the design. It's good now that Acura's finally gettin alot of good press with their new hot products. Watch when the all new NSX(finally) rolls out next year, this car will be all the talk. Look out Porsche, Ferrari!
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    It's really gonna be a battle in the 40k-50k sedan class, with an all new Acura RL, Lexus GS, Infiniti M, and Audi A6 coming out within a year or so. The BMW 5 has recently been introduced, and the MB E isn't that old either.