Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• vjstangelovjstangelo Member Posts: 4
    After a month or so of promises, Olds sent me a certificate for $1500 towards the purchase of another Olds (or $1000 towards another GM). What a deal; this is the icing on the cake (the 0% financing on our 2000 Silhouette for 60 mos was the cake). I guess I'll be shoping now for the 2002 Bravada. Sharp vehicle.
  • eddiemadeddiemad Member Posts: 5
    Hi.. my wife has a '99 Montana with 42,000 mi on it. The "Check Engine Light" just came on. Was wondering if this light is programmed to come on at this time for periodic maintenance (oxygen sensor, etc) or if there's actually something wrong with the engine. Has anyone else had this light come on and, if so, what was the problem? Thanks.
  • mrperfectmrperfect Member Posts: 16
    Must be death throes. Current Olds used car prices have fallen dramatically. My friend has a 3-year ols Cutlass type Olds with all the toys. Olds, Caddy and Buick dealer will NOT even allow a trade-in....sell it yourself, they say. Sad day for a grand old name. Lack of quality in build hits the arrogant auto unions right where it hurts...in their jobs. Don't forget, Olds can pull the plug earlier than their last date of five years. Do you think there will be any quality from the assembly line workers, knowing they will be unemployed soo.? My 2 cents :-)
  • mrperfectmrperfect Member Posts: 16
    Local Olds dealer here in Delray Beach, Florida has already sold out his business to the Cadillac dealer next door. The Caddy dealer has a couple of new Olds in and they are honoring the Olds warranties so far...albeit with a very critical hand. sad...sad...sad!
  • BLACKMAGICBLACKMAGIC Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a new mini van and I have driven them all. I was impressed with the way that the Silhouette GL drove and I am seriously thing of buying it. The only thing that stands in my way is a report that it did terrible in the offset crash test. Does any one know if the 2001 model was improved any way or should I just stay away from the car because of this.
  • nat13nat13 Member Posts: 1
    I brought a sil 00' and have about 13k on it and the steering wheel has this low irritating squeak as if there is styrofoam in the wheel, will I just have to live with this or what? Other than that no problems.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    I purchesed this van about 8 months ago and do like it. However, at speeds 60 and above in a relatively strong cross wind, we get a very loud wind nosie coming from the front windshield. It sounds like loud static from the radio (which it isn't). Has anyone had this problem? Was the dealer able to fix it? Would appreciate your comments.

Just as another comment---if OLds is giving extended warrenties along with good deals on the Silouette Van and your inthe market for a van, I'd buy it. Mine has been a good performer.
  • ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Anyone experience hard starting with their van, our Venture has at times cranked for more than 20 seconds before starting, otherwise no trouble. Engine temp doesn't seem to affect it?
  • creidcreid Member Posts: 54
    I owned a 98 Montana which is a twin of the Silhouette. The noise is from the black cowl at the base of the windshield. It took about 4 attempts for the problem to be found. The cowl is vibrating on the windshiedl from the wind passing by it. Take some black silicone or black rubber glue & seal the area between the cowl & the windshield. The dealer did this exact same thing to the Montana that we owned & it fixed the problem.
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    I'm looking into getting an '01 Silo, and the 6 disc changer/radio option is something I am considering. However, when I mentioned this to the sales manager at a local dealership, he said that he had customers who had problems with it (CDs would not eject and problems with heat build-up). Does anyone out there have any experience with this system in an '01 Silo?

Thanks,
    SST
    Thanks creid! At first I thought it was a poorly installed windshield. The dealer checked it and said no. I was thinking about the cowl area, because I remember experiencing a similar but much worse problem with a couple of Ford Taurus rental cars---about 5 or 6 years ago. I'll have the dealer check it out!
  • andy76andy76 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 1998 Silo GS with 35000 miles and at a cost of $15,000. We live in upstate NY and the temperature is about 15 degrees. We test drove it for about an hour with the heat on high. The defrosters were working but the passenger windows never defogged. Is this normal in this type of weather or is there a problem? Any help would be appreciated. Than
    I've got a 99 Silo that is "housed" in the Chicago area and have NOT had any significant fog problems during our cold winter. There may be a problem with the 98 you tested. If you are really interested, I'd have a mechanic check it out.
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    Greetings,

I am in the market for an '01 Premiere, and I would like to hear from anyone who has heard of any good lease deals on it.

TIA,
    SST
  • davidebrowndavidebrown Member Posts: 13
    I will probably be picking up our new 2001 Silo GLS tonight or tomorrow, is there a list of things that I should make sure to check? Thanks for the help.

Dave
  • kckjschkckjsch Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you may be having problems with the fuel pump. I have a 1995 Tahoe with the same problem. It's common with GM, especially the trucks. If the fuel pump is wearing, it can not create pressure ( about 60 psi required for fuel injected engines ) as easily as if it were in perfect condition. Thus, it takes longer for the fuel pump to build pressure at start-up. Next time you're ready to start the van, turn the key on and wait about 10-15 seconds to let the fuel pump build pressure in the fuel line. Then start the van. It should start quicker with less cranking. If this helps, you know for certain its the fuel pump. One of these days, it won't start at all as the fuel pump won't be capable of building the pressure at.
  • blackcurrantblackcurrant Member Posts: 152
    Thanks for your insight. I had the windshield replaced on my silo and it had the same sound afterwards. I assumed a bad seal also. I'll have to check my cowl also!
  • blackcurrantblackcurrant Member Posts: 152
    It could have been the car you were test-driving had just been prepped by the dealer and there was excess moisture in the carpet. But, I have noticed in our 99 the pass will fog up before driver's. I just thought it was my wife! : )
    I am interested to see that more windshield noise problems are out there with the Silhouette. My dealer wanted to replace the window also, but we decided against it. Haven't taken my van in yet, but intend to along with copies of cried's and your post.

If there are more of "you" out there, please let us know!

Thanks
  • creidcreid Member Posts: 54
    I know the frustration with the noise. We took a long trip from Cincinnati, OH to Dallas, Tx & heard that blasted whistling for 3K miles. Took the van to Borcherding in Cincinnati but of course no problem found, then persisted again to Borcherding 2wks later again the same NPF. Tried another dealership then again NPF. Last took the van to a pontiac dealer called Delord about 10 miles away & it immediately diagnosed with the cowl vibrating on the windshield. You know the ironic thing was about 2 mos after the repair a service manager from Borcherding called my voice mail asking if I still had the noise & if it was repaired to call them with my finding for other complaints of the noise. I wasn't nice enough to contact them back I figured they wasted enough of my time.
  • danandlisadanandlisa Member Posts: 1
    I have been pleased with my 1999 Premier. We've had a couple of problems, the air shocks have leaked, and the electric door molding had come apart. Other than that, performance and comfort have been more than we expected. The kids love the TV/VCR feature! Like most respondents, we are concerned about the chasing out of Oldsmobile product line, but with the $1500 cash, and current $3000 factory offer on 2001 models, we are considering making a trade. The thrashing of the trade in values is a BIG concern! I think maybe CM needs to come up with another plan, say - a guaranteed trade-in value for another CM product over the next 3 to 6 years. Any thoughts?
  • davidebrowndavidebrown Member Posts: 13
    3000 offer, 1500 cash? What is that about. Currently in the Detroit area, the deal is 2000$ cash back or 3.9% financing, and a 5/60 warranty. Please let me know the details of this, such as your location, and how you shake loose that money! Thanks,

Dave
  • rileyymarileyyma Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a silhouette 2001 last December 2000. While dealing with the sales person, I asked about this protection plan that GM is offering. The sales person thought that I was crazy. Suddenly, GM is offering this plan to all 2000, 2001 and 2002 Oldsmobile. Does anybody know if my Silhouette is cover by this plan? I called the dealership to find out and could not answered my question. By the way, after 1700 miles of driving the engine service light came on. The had to replace an emission valve. It took a couple of hours. Thanks
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I have been looking at 2001 Silhouette GLS and Premier vans in black with chrome wheels and two-tone leather and they look really nice for a minivan. Previously I had a 1997 Grand Voyager that was my first van and it was a great first experiance. Then, back in October 2000 I traded that van in for a 2000 Chrysler 300M. It used to be nice but now it creaks, squeaks, and rattles and drives me nuts and I have been missing the space and utility of a van. The Oldsmobile deals are great and I would like to get rid of my car and do not want another Chrysler.

I have heard that Venture/Montana/Silhouette build quality was spotty with a lot of squeaks and rattles. Is this true? The Silhouette seems very nice but these annoyances are the last things I need. Any advice?
    I have a 99 Silo, GLS with about 22K on it. It has really been quite good and still is tight. I have had some problem with windshield wind nosie, but it should be fixable and is not that annoying. I'd buy another----! Good Luck.
  • azwildcat1azwildcat1 Member Posts: 1
    Would be interested in hearing what kind of lease costs anyone has obtained on a GL, especially with the "customer cash" of $2-3,000 that supposedly is available. If agreeable, please also provide how large a initial payment was made, etc. and in general, all the details of the lease. My guess is that since this car line is on its way to "auto heaven", leasing is the way to go because of significant discounts and the fact that I won't have to worry about resale.
  • chrisr3chrisr3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 gas, been back to the dealer 5 times for a persistent rear water leak in the tire jack panel. the dealer has made several attempts to solve the problem but it has'nt fixed the problem. last trip to the dealer they drilled a hole thou the bottom of the panel for drainage without telling me. it still fills with water and now living in the chic ago area its filled with salt water. I also have power steering problems. hard to parallel park and steering is tight in cold weather. I can also smell belt burning when the steering is acting up. dealer has looked at this twice and insists there is no problem. I am trying to get a new van under the state lemon law act. anybody out there gone this route!
    I own a Silo with the only problem being a windshield noise. No leaks or power steering problems. As I said I don't have the problems, but I remember a few posts back someone mentioning the rear water leak. Check the old posts.
  • hark3hark3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Silhouette, and I love it. It currently has 9200 miles and has been trouble free. One concern of mine is that about every 5th time I start it it will have an extended crank. On the other occasions, it will start immediately. The extended crank will last for about 2-3 seconds and it will sound almost like a sputter when it starts. It always starts, though. The dealer said that the 3.4 engine has a sensor on the crankshaft or camshaft(I forget which) that must be lined up properly or it has to make a complete revolution before starting. He says that nothing can be done. My brothers' Venture and Montana don't do this. Am I being misled?
  • shampoo101shampoo101 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone having trouble with intermitten locking of the power door locks. Keeps trying to lock while driving. Also locks itself when you get out of car. Doesn't happen all the time. Didn't happen for the service dept. Also, remotes for opening doors have to be closer to car (15 feet) to work.
    My 1998 had more distance with the remote.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    This problem has also been posted on Venture site on and off.It is thought that water comes in around the rubber boots under the back hatch on the top frame of the body.

As a precaution I got some clear sealant, lifted the boot rim and sealed it that way. So far stays dry. Sometime ago someone posted that 2001 have drainage holes.
    I have a 99 Silo and have experienced some longer "cranks", but nothing in the 3 sec. range and not that often.

I'd double check with some other dealer or GM.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    The easiest way to tell if the van has the towing package is to look for the oil cooler between the oil filter and the engine. This is a small water jacket that uses engine coolant to cool the oil. It has small water lines running to it. Not all vans with load leveling suspension have the towing package.
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    My Silo had this annoying rattle in the drivers side sliding door, and it was really noticeable at low speeds going over rough road. I was convinced it was something inside the door rattling around. Turns out, it was the weatherstripping rubbing against the window.
    I sprayed some Prestone silicone lubricant on the weatherstripping (with the window open) and it's been quiet ever since.
    I also had the windshield noise mentioned earlier on another Silo. I put foam tape under the plastic cowl and the noise went away.

Mikey.
  • hhuahhua Member Posts: 16
    Thanks, I just went to look at the van. Yes I can see the hoses connected to the water jacket. Thanks again.
  • bigfigbigfig Member Posts: 35
    I originally posted about water leaking in the rear compartment of 2000 Silo XLS that I purchased last March 27th. We found that it was leaking through the rubber boots where the wires come through for the rear lift gate. The dealer put silicone around and under the boots and have not had any problems since then. We have approx. 10400 miles so far and have really been pleased we our XLS. The service manager at the dealership has been very helpful to me whenever I go to have service, such as oil changes and rotating tires. Gets me and out within 30-45 minutes. Also have been using CM card to get $$$$ off on next purchase which may be within 2 years on another mini-van that I will be getting rid of
    hopefully.
    I originally posted about water leaking in the rear compartment of 2000 Silo GLS that I purchased last March 27th. We found that it was leaking through the rubber boots where the wires come through for the rear liftgate. The dealer put silicone around and under the boots and have not had any problems since then. We have approx. 10400 miles so far and have really been pleased we our GLS. The service manager at the dealership has been very helpful to me whenever I go to have service, such as oil changes and rotating tires. Gets me and out within 30-45 minutes. Also have been using CM card to get $$$$ off on next purchase which may be within 2 years on another mini-van that I will be getting rid of
    hopefully.
    Am using GM card, no such thing has CM card
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it. fwiw, the CM (Comercial Mexicana) credit card is big in Mexico.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • missedbassmissedbass Member Posts: 48
    Just bought a '98 GLS. Nice change from the caravan. couple of minor problems. water in the headlights and the alarm going off in the middle of the night. I bounced the van around and I couldn't set the alarm off. Can the lights be fixed with silicone or do they need to be replace. Also wondering if there is an easy way to change the air filter.
    Was a pain to replace! Had remove a bunch of stuff---my son did it for me. He normally has a good deal of patience, this one stressed him. Have a mechanic do it.
    Agree the air filter is like wrestling with the Devil. Far more difficult than made out in the handbook, especially trying to hold cover back to extract and insert filter.

On the lights, it would be worth putting some clear silicon sealant around the edge. Secondly, remove the bulbs and use a hair dryer to clear condensation from the inside of the lens. Then leave to cool down.

Another post on the Chevy Venture site, mentioned that there are rubber air vent tubes on the backs of the lamps and should be turned from present position 90 degrees. Have not looked at that as do not have a problem, but not sure if you can do it. Believe they point downwards
  • thrlskrthrlskr Member Posts: 3
    I was seriously considering the purchase of a new, 2001 Silhouette. It has great features, excellent warranty and generous rebate now that GM is shutting down Oldsmobile. I knew the depreciation would be steep, but I calculated I would just about "break-even" compared to higher price I'd have to pay for a Honda/Toyota after 5 years. So I was feeling pretty good about the Silhouette until I researched the safety tests performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

I don't want to get into the merits of one safety test versus another - I know that no accident I (or anyone in my family) will be involved with will ever EXACTLY recreate scenarios used in labratory conditions. On the other hand I do believe in using any information available to me to protect my family from future harm. After reviewing the images and description of the GM minivan's performance in the "offset" crash test, I had to exclude the Silhouette from consideration. Check out the link below if your considering the purchase of a Silhouette or its Chevy & Pontiac "peers".

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm

For the record, I bought a Honda Odyssey ...

• jabummyjabummy Member Posts: 1
    Waiting on my local dealer to fetch my Premiere from another dealer -- the $0 down/0%/0 payments until 2002 helped me pull the trigger now. Was going to buy early next year but why wait? Rate when it does kick in is 7.9% for 48 months. Went through the GM Buy power and asked for prices from dealers in 250 mile radius and ended up paying a couple hundred over invoice (and best offer)to buy local, plus they do all oil changes for 3 years. Getting the Ruby color, my wife liked Teal but the dealer couldn't find one on any dealer's lot within 500 miles. Should be picking up in a day or two. Liked the ride/feel of the GL we test drove and will give our impression of the new Premiere after a week or so. Told my kids I was getting them a TV with a van on it...
    Congrats on that new Silo. We have a 99GLS, Indigo Blue and have really enjoyed it. It has held up well with only minor problems thru 22000miles. Like the Premiere as well, but since we have no children the TV would have been useless. Along with the Premiere Package, I think you also get the Touring pkg which gives a better ride and more aggressive tires. That's the only option, I wish we would have gotten. Good Luck!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I heard originally that dual power sliding doors would be available after the first of the year but where are they? Some sites list them as available but with no price and some say nothing about them. The GMbuypower site gives them as an option that you can check off but has no price. Has anyone gotten this option on their 2001 Silhouette?
  • vanman94vanman94 Member Posts: 4
    Thrlskr is right, the crash test pictures for all GM minivans are sobering. The Astro did okay in full frontal impact, but the minivans all look horrible. Anyone who is considering the Silo should really look into the safety. Every time a crash test is conducted on a GM vehicle, the company immediately sends out a letter about how "these tests don't accurately simulate 'real world' accidents..." Well, that doesn't excuse poor crash tests. What criteria should a company design a safe car around?

I, too, bought the Odyssey. Five stars all the way around, and performed slightly better than the Windstar in offset crash. Look at the pictures of the GM vans compared to the Ody/Sienna/Windstar.
  • kdupraykdupray Member Posts: 3
    We purchased a 2001 Premier Silo back in December and have been extremely happy so far with the van. The one question I have is as follows: Over the past few months and ever since my husband tried to get the compressor in the back to work (we need to take it in to be looked at because it is not working), my van seems to ride a little harder, like there is something wrong with the suspension. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it possibly be that the air suspension isn't working along with the compressor? I would sure appreciate any thoughts on this subject. I prefer to go into the dealer armed with as much knowledge as possible so they can't give me the run around.
  • ed_in_indyed_in_indy Member Posts: 1
    I can not speak to the ride problem you my be having, but the compressor not working may be the same problem that I had with my 2001 GL. Two weeks after getting the van I tried the compressor on the kid's basketball and it would not work. I could hear the compressor kicking on but it was not delivering air. The dealer took a look and found the hose on the inside of the panel leading from the compressor to the output nipple on the outside of the panel was disconnected. He hooked it back up and now it works fine. I did not detect a change in the ride after he conneted the hose, but then the ride was fine to begin with.
    We have same feature on Chevy Venture and from time to time you can hear the compressor cut in to reset the shocks. Try with the engine off and put ignition key into the accessory mode and see if anything happens.

Secondly, I have found the ride quite sensitive to the tire pressure and of course that depends on the accuracy of the gage. Venture is 35 lbspsi all round.

Good luck