Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'm not so sure about that. VW is in trouble, but BMW's sales have been strong in the past few years. They still have their "ultimate driving machine" reputation, though the new 645i drives like a computer simulation of a car. None of the reactions I've seen so far to "active steering" have been positive, and the iDrive is still garbage. I still dont understand why the germans feel that a screen either surrounded by a million buttons or an akward mousing device that requires a PhD in computer science to use is better than a simple touch screen. The LS handles 90% of its functions through the screen, and yet I can program a radio station preset in maybe 2 seconds. I dont even have to read the manual.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I may be wrong, but intuition tells me that the new RL won't achieve the kind of performance some here are hoping for in the acceleration department.

The RL will have 8% less horsepower, but over 27% less torque than the 545i. Not to mention that BMW uses bigger horses to measure with - as evidenced by the BMW 330i with 225 hp beating almost everything from Japan up to and including 270 hp 3.5 liter challengers.

The RL has essentially the same power to weight ratios as the new TL. I would expect reasonable performance, but not class leading acceleration.

P.S. Lexusguy, I agree that the 184 hp 525i seems a bit underpowered, but its still respectable with a manual transmission. However, ther is nothing, repeat nothing, that I have driven from Lexus that comes within three rungs of a 525i sport on the handling ladder. At last count, I've driven the GS430, SC430, GS300, LS430 and former SC400. You could put 500 hp in a GS500 and I'd take the 525i on a winding country road anyday. "Fun to drive" is not all about stop light dragging in my book. I don't own a BMW, I just think they deserve credit where it's due. And Lexus quality is class leading; it's just that they are incredibly boring to drive.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I may be wrong, but intuition tells me that the new RL won't achieve the kind of performance some here are hoping for in the acceleration department.

I will quote weight to power ratio (again).
    Acura TL: 13.1 lb/HP (Low 6 seconds with automatic transmission)
    Acura RL: 12.5 lb/HP (Low 6 seconds with automatic transmission – logical guess?)

This assumes the rumored, 3750 lb. curb weight for the RL. And TL is already class leading in terms of acceleration, and compares well with the other class leader, G35. Offerings from Audi, BMW, Lexus and Mercedes are slower at the moment.

I would expect RL to be as quick (with better launch characteristics, thanks to AWD) as TL, as long as it doesn’t weigh 3950 lb. or more. TL's best time to 60 is 6.2s with automatic transmission.

Not to mention that BMW uses bigger horses to measure with - as evidenced by the BMW 330i with 225 hp beating almost everything from Japan up to and including 270 hp 3.5 liter challengers.

Let us look at some comparable numbers. Acura TL is about the same size (and weighs as much) as BMW 530i. Both, about 3500 lb. BMW 530i has 225 HP, and with 6-speed manual, Edmunds obtained a 0-60 run in 7.2s. Bigger horses? May be, but they appear tired. That said, with 15.6 lb for each horse, I would have expected a high 6-second run for the 530i (C&D got it done in 6.7s which sounds about right, so I would say, normal horses). And that’s about 0.8s slower than the same for Acura TL with 6-speed manual putting down 270 HP from its 3.2 liter V6.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    And, let us not forget that FWD comes with 0.2 sec disadvantage in acceleration from 0-60 due to initial loss of traction in hard acceleration (all else being equal). Same or better weight/power ratio between TL to RL, I would expect RL to do better than TL in 0-60. Not to mention handling that comes with AWD. I own 540iA for 6 years. Without LSD, hard cornering is not smooth. BMW simply has very efficient power-train. Horsepower does not equal 0-60. Honda isn't bad in this department either.

No one is saying RL can beat 545 in 0-60 here. At least not that I have read. Lap times are more than hard acceleration. Cornering plays a big part in doing it. Sure, I know M5 (even old one) can do better than all, but for $70K-$80 and more... That is in a different class entirely, cost-wise.
    I'm not really sure what your point is. The 545i is not really competition for the RL. It will cost at least $10,000 more. Its got a 4.5L V8 that makes 325hp. It had better be able to out accellerate the RL if BMW actually wants to sell any cars.

Yes the 330i is quick. Its also much smaller than the 270hp TL, or the 260hp G35. Like robert said, those cars are 5 series size, not 3 series. If the IS300 5-speed had a bit more horses (which it will get very soon)it could beat the 330i. Speaking of which I assume you have not driven the IS, as it is just as fun to drive, if not more so, than a 5 series, and when I say that I mean the old 540, as I cant stand the new car.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Again, I wouldn't be surprised to see sales of the 5 series, especially, wither after the intro of the new Japanese sports sedans. I have not read a good word about the i drive, and most people vastly prefer the old 5 series to the new. The Japanese are narrowing, if not closing, the performance/handling gap with the BMW and at prices far below comparably equipped BMWs. At the very least, I expect BMW prices to soften considerably in the next year (both 3 and 5 series), and we'll suddenly find BMW dealers willing to deal instead of, as previously, doing you a favor by selling you a BMW at sticker.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    The 330i does have a slight weight advantage over the TL and G35, but they have far more hp. Interesting.

G35
    Base model 3,336 lbs
    Leather model 3,369 lbs
    Leather 6MT model 3,398 lbs

BMW 330i (manual/auto)
    3285 (3362) lbs

TL
    Automatic: 3575 lb (without Navigation System)
    Manual: 3482 lb (without Navigation System)

M
    BMW dealers are already dealin', they started this back in the second half of 2002 when the 7-Series' novelty starting wearing off. The 5-Series will most likely go through the same thing. A deal on 3-Series has been possible for a while now too. It is only certain models they give you hard time over.

M
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    There's dealin' and then there's dealin'. Overall, BMWs have probably been sold closer to sticker than almost any other make (my guess).
    Nooot quite. If you want a brand new Acura TL with Navigation, or a fully optioned RX330, nobody is going to cut you a break. Suppy and demand, and those cars are in very high demand. The Prius actually sells for OVER the sticker. According to C&D, the domestics (obviously) are the ones slashing prices by as much as $4000. The germans are offering $1500-2000, and the Japanese are very stingy, with Honda averaging as little as $800.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Regarding the comparisons with the Skyline GT-R: One source has it that the RL bested the GT-R. Another source apparently described the lap time comparisons as something along the lines of "hanging with" the GT-R. My interpretation was that the RL was able to make a good showing, but did not best the GT-R. With two sources in conflict, I'm not placing any bets.

There was also some discussion about the RL on the track not even being a real RL. Rather it was an Inspire with the RL's drivetrain and a heavy disguise. If that's true, who knows if it carried the same weight penalty or rubber as the production RL.

Rumors about handling are very positive, but perhaps too positive. In addition to the comparison with the GT-R, there was rumor floating around that the RL would pull 1.0 g on the skidpad. Yeah, well... We'll see about that. Skepticism aside, I think we can safely assume it will be competitive with the others on a twisty road.

IMHO, the new RL will be competition as a tweener. It'll be priced in comparison with the six cylinder vehicles of the class. It's edge in horsepower may make it an alternative to some of the 8s. Assuming that the handling and luxury content are on par with the class, this RL could do for Acura what the Legend did so many years ago.
    Yep.
    No matter what, it will be at least 10x better than the current RL, which wouldnt have a prayer against a GT-R
  • 43255574325557 Member Posts: 1
    Since most of you seem to be far more knowledgeable than I could ever hope to be regarding these vehicles, which of the two cars would you prefer and why? I have narrowed my choices down to one of these two and I am very open to the opinions of those who know more than me.

Thoughts???
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    For me, I am waiting for 2006 Corvette, 2006 BMW 4 series including M4, and of course 2006 Acura RL. I think I will get RL though.
    If you are going to get a Audi, get S4 or RS6, both have much better handling than M3 and M5, and you will be happy for a long time as long as the cars do not break down, then it is a "expensive repair nightmare."
    If it were me, it would be hands down RL. I really dont like both the exterior and the interior styling of the new A6. In the past, Audi cars could at least be counted on as having much higher quality materials and a more warm and inviting cabin than either or the two major rivals. The new A6 seems to take several steps backwards from the old one. While I would never think about actually buying the previous A6 for reliability reasons, it was certainly a pleasure to sit in.

I think the '05 A6 looks actually WORSE inside than the new 5 series, which it has clearly liberally borrowed from in terms of layout and design, and I dont think their MMI is all that much better than iDrive. The new A6 also gets its lumpy looking steering wheel directly from the A8, which is clearly not designed for agressive driving with its fat center and tiny spokes and rim.

As if that werent enough already, there are no indications that Audi has improved quality at all in the last few years, there actually seems to be more problems cropping up for the new A4 than the old one. They seem to have taken care of the hundreds of thousands of cars with ignition coil failures, but the fact that they simply ignored an entire shipment of faulty rusted and warped brake rotors and put them on A6s anyway doesnt not inspire much confindence in me to buy an Audi.

Finally, I expect the A6 with its hefty mechnanical AWD system to outweigh the RL by several hundred pounds, and when you factor in Audi's much weaker V6 (DFI or not), I think the RL will take the A6 to school when it comes to handling. Unlike BMW's, Audi cars do not perform better than their HP numbers would suggest. The A4 with the 220hp 3.0L feels like it barely has even that, as the engine strains to make 7.5 second 0-60 runs.

The S4 is a great driver, but its a tiny car, closer in size to the TSX than the RL. The RS6 is also a great driver, but good luck getting one under $80,000, and there wont even be one for the '05 model year. If I was going to drop that kind of cash on a sport sedan, it would be an E55. At least the E will retain its value.

Ultimately, I think the new A6 will find itself seriously outclassed by the Acura.
    most of the time, 3rd party warranties are Powertrain stuff, so my guess is things like the Nav system and similar items (stereo, etc) are probably not covered. An inexpensive bumper to bumper extended warranty is a rare item.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    not to mention, in its class, the E is probably the most passion evoking car... ooo what looks! But sadly, its really tiny inside, even an accord or camry looks more spatious inside. I dropped the E from my S-type replacement list largely because its not too spacious and comfortable inside
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    If you are looking for prestige, lots of luxury gizmos, and bold styling... go for the A6.

The RL will offer refined, but not bold styling. Features will include the essentials, but probably not every option under the sun. I expect that fit and finish may be about the same (Acura has recently stepped up to the plate with their interiors).

Performance will depend on how hard you like to drive your cars. Right now, I'd give the edge to the RL, but that remains to be proven. Both cars will probably have first year bugs, but, over the long haul, I expect the RL will stand up better.
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Luxury car resale depends largely on prestige, and the 4-ring badge clearly doesnt bring much to the table, considering Audi resale is as bad as Jaguar or Volvo. If you ask the regular person on the street, Im sure anyone could tell you what Mercedes-Benz or BMW is, and most of them would know Lexus, but Audi? I'm no so sure about that. I dont think the styling of the new A6 is that bold either. The back is mostly evolutionary, and the front just gets the giant A8 grill that I think is a step backwards in terms of looks from the old car.

And as for feature content or "gizmos" its Acura hands down. SH-AWD, voice activated, touch screen navigation, a specially designed, 5.1 channel audio system with DVD-Audio capability, BlueTooth connectivity, the list goes on and on, and the Audi offers none of it. And what it does offer will all be on multi-thousand dollar "premium" packages, where as the Acura will come with it all.
  • mechrad1mechrad1 Member Posts: 26
    I have read thru all the posts for the last few week. I have seen long discussions about the 300 hp engine vs other with 250 or 280 hp. This is obviously important to some people. I doubt that I could tell the difference. One thing though that I can tell is the difference in looks between all the cars. I have not seen the RL in person yet. I have scanned many pictures. I am not impressed with the looks of this car. When a BMW or Lexus gs drives down the street, you know it. These cars have distinguishing appearances. The new RL appears to me to look like every other mid level sedan. The TL is fantastic, why is the RL not. At 50 grand I want my car to look special. Even if the car has a few more ponies I do not believe it will sell well if it just a plain vanilla car. For those of you have seen this car please tell me I am wrong and that it will be a head turner. Mercedes will always sell even at higher prices because of the elegant looks. IMHO I believe the RL will not be a big seller and if you wait a year there will be nice discounts coming off MSRP ( especially with new Lexus, Audi and Infiniti)

Bill
    The styling of the RL is very arguable. From what I've seen of it in person, its a good looking car, though it was not turning as many heads as the '05 GS430. Keep in mind though, its still the RL prototype, and the actual production car may change a bit. I dont think they'll have any trouble with sales though, as the previous TL, even though the design wasnt really all that interesting or unique, sold very well because of its incredibly strong value for the money. The new RL is the same. It will come with all the features that the competition requires you to spring for $$$$ of option packages, will be a fast, strong performer, and will undercut the german V6 cars by at least $5,000. That sounds like a recipie for success to me.
    I believe "look" is very subjective. Bland look like the new RL lasts longer than the new BMW Bangled-look. I own '98 540 since new. Believe me, when your car broken down on highway like mine, everyone was looking and laughing. Even the patrolman who kindly stopped by to give a ride back to my smoking car from phone-booth....

I appreciate BMW's driving dynamics, but am very fed up by its poor reliability (don't get me started) and arrogant service. When I look for a Japanese substitute, I need not look further than Acura and Infiniti. The new M35/45 has a look that I don't appreciate, but others do. My heart is set on RL. Too bad, the new M will show up later than RL. I don't think I could hold on for that long (6 months?) for an apple-2-apple comparison before I decide.

There were a lot of nay-sayers of new TL before it comes out. Where are they now? A TL with Navi is so hard to find these days. And, did you ever sit in one lately? It will blow you off. German cars are so far behind in interior department, they don't even care anymore.

When Japanese makers eventually catch up with German driving dynamics and aggressive/beautiful styling (and they will), what are the German marketing people going to do? "German engineering"? My BMW cannot even get the radiator work pass 50K. Sorry, I promise you not to start. My bad..

To be fair, I loved my 540iA for 6 years. It gave me headaches and pleasures from times to times. The car I am looking for is one with BMW driving dynamics and Lexus reliability. I am betting on the new Acura RL.
    I think the '05 RL will be capable of going toe-to-toe with at least the E320 and A6 3.2 in terms of driving fun factor, and will cost a hell of a lot less than an E320 4matic and will be much faster to boot. I like Infinti as well, but Nissan's reliability is not on the level of Toyota and Honda (and Hyundai!?) and every single car they've done in the past few years, the interior has been woefully subpar. I'm really hoping that the new M finally breaks that trend, but Im not sure it will. I also dont think that the M35 will be able to outhandle the RL either. The TL is a fantastic homerun for Acura, and if it gets SH-AWD, it will easily be the best car in the segment, period. After the snooze cars of the mid 90s, its nice to have Acura back as a force to be reckoned with. The new GS is no slouch ether. Have you considered cross shopping that with the RL? It should be out around the same time.
    I definitely will take a test-drive when it arrives (about the same time frame). However, I think Lexus fails at designing the rear, but acceptable at the front. I am sure the interior would be great, but 245hp? I won't keep my hope up. Performance-wise, you need GS430 to match 300hp. However, AWD is only available on V6 (GS300). Bad packaging, I'd say. It surely looks like Lexus simply doesn't design cars for me.
    Im not so sure that the GS300 wont be able to keep up with the RL. Take a look at the LS for example. Only 290hp, far below the Q45, and yet it will easily beat the Q on a drag strip. Ever notice how Toyota's 235hp 4.7 V8 gets drawfed by the competitions 300+hp 5.x litres, and yet their SUVs with the 4.7s are pulling 8 second 0-60, just like the competition? I think the GS300 will be stronger than it appears, though of course I could be wrong.
  • uvacarmanuvacarman Member Posts: 9
    While I was picking up my new TL this week, I was talking to the dealer who told me that the new RL will come out this September. He did tell me that he was waiting till Janurary to buy his, because they will be coming out with a 4.0 Hybrid RL. He said its supposed to have crazy amounts of power, and will definitely be worth the wait. If this helps any of you out there waiting for the RL, you might want to consider waiting till Janurary.

UVAcarman
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    Thank you very much. I was hoping to hear something along those lines. Please make sure to report to us any update you may come across on this topic of Hybrid RL.
    Truly,

Steve
    Hybrid 4.0L RL? In Jan 2005? If that is the case, I am waiting for it.

Lexusguy, Toyata make good engines than others, but not as good as those from Honda and BMW. IC Engines are not the forte of Toyota.
    I disagree. When it comes to 4 cylinders, Honda does them like no one else. Ther germans cant even get close. However, Toyota's Inline 6 that was in the Supra\SC300\GS300\IS300 is one of the best 6 cylinders ever made. Have you seen how much horsepower that engine is capable of? I've seen super tuned Supra's pushing over 1000hp.
    Lexusguy,

Ward's 10 best engines of 2004:
    1. D/C 5.7 liter HEMI V-8 (335-345hp/370-390ft/lbs of torque)
    2. GMs 4.2 liter Inline DOHC 24 valve 6 275hp
    3. BMW 3.2 liter M3 inline 6 333hp
    4. Honda 3.0 liter 240hp
    5. Nissan 3.5 liter DOHC V-6 (240-287hp)
    6. Mazda 1.3 liter Rotary engine. (197-238hp)
    7. Subaru's 2.5 liter flat 4 with 300hp from the WRX Sti.
    8. Audi's 4.2 liter DOHC V-8 (310-330hp)
    9. Cumming Diesel in the Dodge RAM heavy duty.
    10. Toyota 1.5 liter 4 (Prius)

I rest my case.
    Oh, well ward's is the absolute law, so they must be right. Whatever. Whats so great about the "Hemi"? Its not even a real Hemi. Its just a stupid marketing term to intice good 'ole boys to remember the Cudas they couldnt afford to buy, and its even cheaper to produce than the ancient OHV pushrod. Nissans 5.6 is a superior engine. There's a reason that the Toyota Supra is the most highly in demand car they've ever done. What other car do you know from '97 that cost $40,000 is now worth $40,000? Its because the Supra IL6 is nearly invincible. It can reach past 700hp even without N2O. Toyota's engines tend not to raise eyebrows because they generally are not a performance oriented company, but from an engineering stand point, they are some of the worlds best, certainly a hell of a lot better than anything Chrysler or GM have.

Oh, and check that list in three years when the GS350GT is pushing 470hp with a hybrid 4.0L.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    How do you judge engine?
    By how much HP they claim vs engine size?
    By how much Torque they claim vs engine size?
    How fast they go from 0-60 vs engine size?
    Fuel efficiency?
    Loudness of the engine?
    Or by how statistically reliable they are?

If reliable is the key, than Lexus has to be number one.
    According JD Powers, the LS430 is the most reliable car in the world. However, I don't think they looked at luxury vehicles that cost $300K.

So how can people claim that one engine is better than another when it is not as reliable?
    lexusguy, well, I said I rest my case. Supra retains its value because it is dead in USA.

Andrewtran, you brought too many factors into the discussion. Lexus reliability does not equal engine reliability.

It is funny that I feels like I am a troll on a Lexus board.
    So by your reasoning, a Nissan 240SX should be worth a lot right? Its dead here isnt it? Arent most cars? Why is a '94 Thunderbird worth squat? Or a Lincoln Mark VIII? Those cars are dead also. Its the engine dude. That engine, along with the TT 6 in the Skyline R-34, are the most tuneable engines in the world. Period. Since when does reliability not equal engine reliability? What do you think they were measuring? Whether or not the stereo and seat actuators still worked after ten years? What other company can you tell me has engines that last past 500,000 miles. Name one.
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    First, today 97 Supra cost only 20K, not 40K. Toyota does have nice engines, but most of them are underpowered. IS has the same engine Supra had in 97, with similar output, as you mentioned before, it's nice to play with, but we are talking about stock cars. I would consider IS, but not with 220HP.
    A '97 Supra twin turbo with reasonable mileage goes for between $30-40K. Yes the IL6 is long in the tooth, which is why its being replaced this year. However, for the price difference between an IS300 and a well optioned 330i, you could put in a Stage 2 turbo kit that would be pushing 400hp at the wheels, and would destroy a 330i.
    "What other company can you tell me has engines that last past 500,000 miles. Name one."

Any Mercedes-Benz Diesel I6. They go this distance quite often, as do some recent Mercedes-Benz gasoline V8s. One Million miles on a Mercedes-Benz diesel engine is not unheard of.

_________

Guys there are a lot of things that determine a superior engine and it all depends on who you're talking to. Some people look at hp/per liter. Other look at overall output. Some people look for the smoothness. How well does the engine rev? It goes on and on.

There are certain companies that stand out for their engine building prowess depending on what type of engine is being built.

Lexus (4.3L V8), BMW (4.4L V8) are great engines for their luxury and sportier luxury GT cars. All of these engines are regularly praised and the BMW V8 is considered the best luxury car V8 going in most circles, but they are could be considered gutless compared to say Mercedes' 5.4L SC V8 or Ferrari/Maserati's 3.6L V8. It all depends on what you're looking for. Let us not forget the just retired M5's 4.9L V8. A sheer engineering masterpiece.

In the realm of six-cylinders, Honda and BMW are usually seen as leaders. The V6 is Honda's forte and the I6 is BMW's. The 3.2L I6 in the M3 is close to being qualified to be a racing car engine. Honda's NSX, TL V6s (separate designs) are almost just as good in different configurations, impressive considering the V6 in the NSX is something like 15 years old! The new RL's V6 should be a real gem. Mercedes-Benz even has a new 3.5L 268hp V6 that brings a few new tricks to the table. Arguably the Nissan VQ V6 is just as good as the BMW and Honda 6s, but isn't as smooth or refined, but in a car like the G35 Coupe or 350Z this sort of "character" is part of the appeal.

Other than Toyota's V8 in the Lexus, they really aren't known for their engine prowess like BMW or Honda are. This doesn't mean they don't build a good engine, but that isn't where they shine as brightly. BTW, and I6 is used in semis and all type of heavy duty applications, the Supra's I6 isn't the only I6 that can be modified to produce more power. An I6 is inherently strong in its basic construction. The Supra is the only sports car of that time that had an I6 and yes the tuning possibilities are endless, but not unique to the Supra by any means.

There are some upcoming engines that should really be front-page news. The new V10 in the 2006 M5 is going to be monster. This engine, according to everything so far, is based right off the William-BMW F1 car engine design. You can't ask for more than that. I know this group doesn't think much of pushrod V8s, but the 2006 Corvette Z06 is going to have a truly state-of-the-are pushrod V8 and except for its ohv layout it at least promises to be just as sophisticated as any engine mentioned here. Mercedes has some new direct-injection DOHC V8s in the works for 2006 and in AMG trim they are supposed to develop more power than today's supercharged engines, without supercharging or turbocharging. These hybrid engines from Toyota should be interesting too, if they make the power some people have mentioned here.

BMW is working on a cam-less V8 for introduction later in the decade! Saab had an idea (that was shut down by GM) for a variable compression engine. Honda also has something in development along these lines.

M
    "truly state-of-the-art pushrod V8 and except for its ohv layout it at least promises to be just as sophisticated as any engine mentioned here."

Hardly. Boring the 5.7 out to 6.0L doesnt make it the most amazing engine ever, and the concept of a "state of the art pushrod" is laughable. If it was, Cadillac wouldnt be using DOHC Northstars. I know what that engine is like, its gruff, unrefined, and likes to dance between 1200 and 1700rpm while idling. Hardly any kind of model for refinement. The 4.3 in my LS stays around 800 at idle, and makes not a sound.

We dont get M-B diesel I6s here in the states. The V8 in my S420 pretty much fell apart at 160K, where as my LS400 was humming along just fine with 165K, when I traded it.
    Not true, the E320 CDI (DOHC I6) is on sale now. The previous generation E-Class also had a I6 back in 1999 as did several versions of the previous S-Class.

I was expecting that about the pushrod V8 from Chevy, but they are planning more than just increasing the displacement. They're going to apply all the tricks from these DOHC V8s. Not easy to do. Trust me I'm not saying that this V8 is going to re-write the rules or anything and it isn't playing in the luxury car field. Sports car engines are supposed to be more gruff.

You do realize that Toyota has new pushrod V8 for several racing applications right?

Lets not be so hasty to disreguard.

M
    Yes, I'm aware, but their building that pushrod because the rules say they have to, not necessarily because they want to. I wasnt aware that they brought back a diesel E, they certainly arent making any efforts to promote it. Also, I doubt actual sales will be more than a few thousand cars a year. Americans and diesels generally dont mix.
    Well they are indeed just testing the waters. 3k E320 CDIs this year and right now diesel fuel is kinda dirty to put it plainly so there won't be much incentive until 2006 when diesel has to be clean per law.

M
  • saugataksaugatak Member Posts: 488
    i am not going to weigh in on this b/c my knowledge pales to merc or lexusguy, but one thing that impresses me about toyota is just how many good engines they make.

whereas honda makes just I4s and v6s and BMW makes just I6s and one v8, toyota has v8s, I6, v6, v4, i4.

it's pretty tough to be good at all of those engines types when your competitors are specialzing in and getting real good at just a few types of engines.

i don't know if any toyota engine can be called best in class (although the 4.3 v8 in the GS and LS430 is real nice, very close to BMW's 4.5 v8), but they're up there and there's not a lemon in the bunch.
    Honda develops a variety of IC engines, from single cylinder OHV, to V-Twin, I-3, I-4, V5, V6, Flat-6 etc. And in variety of layouts (OHV, SOHC 2V, SOHC 4V, DOHC 4V), normally aspirated and turbo charged. And most recently, has delivered one of the finest diesel engines in the European market.

Now to keep this discussion on topic, RL is (probably) going to have one of the best, most compact and lightest V6 engine for the power it will develop.
    if MB could sell literally 4 square boxes through the entire 80s and early 90s, then any car made today is beautiful. I personally didn't find the RL tickle me like the E does (today's E), but considering everything, its definitely one of the top possibilities when I replace my S-type next year.

ksso
    Toyota's mission isnt really to outpower Honda or BMW. For the most part, their goal is to make extremely clean, extraordinarily well built engines, thats given them the reputation of the worlds most reliable car company. That said, their ULEV 4.3L V8 is probably the stand out engine. I've driven LOTS of cars, and its one of the silkiest, smoothest V8s out there. Its not brash like the Chevy 5.7, and it doesnt have freight train levels of torque like the AMG 5.5L, or the magic of a Ferrari built V8. Just quiet, smooth, effortless power.

Keep in mind, Honda doesnt just make cars. They also make motorcycle engines, jetski engines, ATV engines, etc. Honda is VERY good at what they do.
    so in another 15-20 years, when both lexus and acura have aquired a 40-50 year history, and hopefully, if they still stay at the game of innovation and rock solid quality, wonder what will happen to MB & the likes...
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    Well, in 15-20 years, the Germans will have more than 100 years of history (MB already does), and the Japanese brands will still be "young" in comparison!

Actually, I think it will be interesting to see when, if ever, Lexus and Infiniti (possibly Acura) will be viewed in the same light as the three German luxury brands.

-- Mark
    but when you think of a 50 year old person and a 100 year old person, its all old. when you talk about a 25 year old person and 75 year old person, the difference is stark.. its relative... and being around long enough, the ratio diminishes... sorry did not mean to insult any older people on the forum, i'm just using subjective numerics... and i'm glad people get older, makes them more sane.

personally, i've never been able to develop a taste for nissan's or infiniti's so i'll act like they don't exist ;) just kidding

ksso
    I've got a surprise for you. Lexus, in 15 years of selling cars, is considered by most of the mainstream as up there with M-B and BMW. M-B made the mistake in the 90s when Lexus was brand new of thinking they were invincible, and that nobody would buy an L badge instead of the 3-pointed star. Wrong. Ever since the RX300, Lexus has beaten M-B on sales.