Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    Has anyone added running boards to your Silhouette? If so, where did you get them?
  • deuce56deuce56 Member Posts: 46
    Edmunds TMV says that an '01 Premier w/ Trailer Tow, Gold Pkg, and 6 Disc CD changer should be $31, 552. I live in Ohio and the edmunds pricing guide mentions 0.9% Financing and $2000 customer cash rebate. Does the TMV include the rebate and can I use the financing w/ the rebate or is it one or the other, but not both? Thanks!
  • robfilmsrobfilms Member Posts: 5
    i'm looking used and doing my homework.

i know in 98 got chair-mounted side impact air bags. was wondering if anyone can tell changes in 99 models? or 2000 model? or 2001 model?

any and all opinions are appreciated.

tia

rob
  • elsmithelsmith Member Posts: 2
    I traded my 2000 Saturn LS1 for a loaded '99 Old Silo Premier last Saturday. Had to run and pick up my daughter at ice skating lessons. When I returned the dealership had had a "mishap" and one person left the hood open for the oil to be changed while another decided to take to have gas filled up and run on interstate to check for vibration. The hood blew up and busted the whole front windshield out, dented in the roof, and the whole hood will be replaced with new. I had already signed papers and everything. It just had passed the mag. warranty of 37700 miles. We have asked, besides only accepting it if it is fully fixed, for an extended warranty for the trouble, for FREE! Should I consider anything else? Actually this dealership bent over backwards for us and we got a great deal on it. Now I am presuming it will show "wrecked", anyone know?
    I have a '98 Silo GLS and am currently negotiating on an '01 Premier. The things I see different include the cup holders (improved), traction (gls/premier stand.-gl available), stowable 3rd seat, tri-zone heat/AC (gls/prem), and easier reclining mechanism on all captains. The 8-way power seats (heated - new) don't have a lumbar support mechanism (disappointment).
    Remember that there is 2000 rebate along with GM/Olds loyalty of 1500 AND 5 yr/60,000 warranty on the '01s. New might be as cheap as used.
  • missedbassmissedbass Member Posts: 48
    there are minor differences between the 98,99,00 models. more changes in the 01 model--16" wheels,new grille, round fog lights, larger screen on the vcr,5 more hp in the motor, different instrument panel, and some other odds and ends but basically the same car. looked at used and new. found a 98 with 30k ,looks like new. bought an extended warranty and still saved over 12k. that was enough to keep me from buying a new one. so far it was the right decision.
  • chartrand1chartrand1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a 99 Premier with 27K on it. Warrantee expires in Oct. Is it worth getting it extended? They are asking $27K (cdn). Anybody have any thoughts?
  • elsmithelsmith Member Posts: 2
    I am purchasing a "99 Premier Silo with 37K on it for 19,175. It is out of warranty and I do not feel comfortable without getting an extended warranty. It has so many bells and whistles I think it is worth it. My dealership is "giving me FREE" an extended 3 more years/36,000 more miles for the "accident" they had with it when they took it to test for vibration. See posts # 255. They of course are paying to have it fixed as well. Hope this helps. If I had to buy it I would.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    I've got one with 22000 miles and probably WILL get the extended warranty! Good luck----FYI to date I have had no problems with the Silo:-)
    van out in the parking lot for 10 minutes in full sun. BIG POP back window is shattered and window is bowed out. dealer has heard of this before but never seen it. 98 GLS 30k. any ideas on what caused the window to blow out?
  • kdupraykdupray Member Posts: 3
    CD changer in 20O1 Silhouette Premier
    Has anyone found an after market CD changer that still allows you to use the radio controls on the steering wheel. I would be interested to know the brand and where you purchased it.
    Thanks!
    '01 Premier on its way

Mocha Premier (two tone leather) w/ Gold Pkg, Trailer Tow, and 6 Disc changer. Using GM .9% financing - 32,135-1500 loyalty-385 GM VISA = $30,250. Not a GREAT deal, but I think better than a good deal. Please chime in. The .9% seemed like a better deal than the $2000 rebate. $324 in interest over 3 years for using their money (108 per year).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    GM minivan recall for mechanical defect in sliding door.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    Just rotated the tires at 22,500 miles (built Nov 98, delivered Dec 98). The original tires (General XP2000GTs) look like they will last to at least 50K. The fronts wear more that the rears (expected on any FWD), but wear is even. Since tires for the Silhouette run around $60, this is very good performance. The brake pads look great, should do an easy 60K miles. I think this may be at least partly due to the fact that I do my own tire rotations and carefully torque the lug nuts to spec.

The van has been a pleasure, no shop time (save for that deer thing), and the power train is first rate. It uses no oil between 7500 mile changes (Mobil 1 0w-30), and gas mileage is very good (20MPG long term, and we live in the mountains), 25MPG+ on the open road.

Have not yet received the latch recall notice, sounds like a quick fix. We have had zero problems with the power door. I did manage to break the lift gate inside handle, but that was a two minute warranty repair.

If our finances work out, we will probably upgrade to a 2002 GLS this fall to get some of the new features and extend the warranty for another five years. With trade-in, discounts, low financing, and the $1500 certificate we should be able to keep about the same payments. We also have the luxury of a great dealer (we have purchased 3 Oldsmobiles from them since 1995).
    Picked up our '01 Mocha Premiere on Saturday. I had reservations about the color but now I can say that I "like" it and may grow to love it. I've had many complements on the color in the short time that I've had it. With the gold package and a gold pinstriping the mocha is an attractive color (mauve brown). We have the two tone mocha seats - nice touch! The only glitch is that the video screen does not work properly - they have to order a new "interface." The audio on the VCP works but no picture appears. The 6-disc CD is a nice radio - lots of nice features. Ironically the recall notice for our '98 silo that we traded in came in the mail today. I guess we'll be receiving the '01's recall notice after Olds' records are updated. The back-up sensors, newer cupholders (especially 2nd row), and heated seats are nice additions. I'll try to keep you informed of future developments/pleasures.
  • dhintzddhintzd Member Posts: 12
    We just traded our 99 Silo GL for an '01 Silo GLS. We started have little things go wrong with the '99 and we were close to end of warranty. So far we really like the '01. We enjoy the leather, heated seats and the 16 inch wheels seem to ride a lot nicer. The chrome wheels combined with the Arctic White color really make the van stand out. Have discovered that the rear parking aid really does work well. The only glitch that we have discovered so far is that the radio is having a lot of trouble picking up radio stations, even those that are local. The dealer checked out the antenna connection, and that appeared fine. So...a new radio is on order. The extended warranty was a big factor in our purchase.
  • tauberjtauberj Member Posts: 61
    I see a number of you are experiencing the water in the jack compartment problem. I had this last year on my 2000. I noticed that the water was silty (road dirt). This caused me to suspect that the jack well leak was in the wheel well seem. If you look behind the rear tire (either side), you will see that the wheel well is two pieces with a pinched seem running down the middle. My dealer sealed this seem with black silicone sealer. Also, they applied a lot of the same inside the front wall of the jack compartment. I haven't noticed a recurrence of this problem since (yes, I do check occasionally).

Regarding the power door problem... we just drove from NJ to myrtle Beach and back. The problem occurred once. The door warning buzzer sounded when I left the hotel to come home. After about 5-10 seconds, it stopped. This is the only time I am aware that the door did not fully shut. Yesterday, Olds sent a recall notice to me for this very problem. My van will be in for service next week as the dealer had to order a window latch for the power slider door window, as it doesn't; fully lock. So, when it comes in, I'll have them replace the recalled part as well.

Other than that, the only other problem I have had in 1.5 years and 14,000 miles is that the driver's seat heater needed to be replaced (took 4 visits to get it right). The old one in the seat back shorted out. Had a pencil eraser-sized burn mark where the element shorted out.

Still, this van has been great. The video system was my savior on my 1900 mile round trip vacation (3 kids).
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    I heard somewhere that AWD would be available on the Olds, even with the fold flat rear seat. Does anyone have information about the system, or when it will be available? Although my wife currently drives a DC T&C awd, and it has been satisfactory, I like the extended coverage GM offers and, apparently, the lower price.
    Any opinions or other information out there?
    Thanks!
    Jay
    I own a 99 Silo and am thinking about an Extended Warranty. One company quoted me $767 for 24/24 and $1037 fior 36/36. Any comments on the pricing?

Also any names and contacts for extended warranties would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Extended Warranties: Extending The Joys Of Ownership. You can also click-through to 1Source for a quote (an Edmunds partner).

Steve
    Host
    Jack, with the 60/60k warranty that Olds is offering on the new Silo and the .9% financing with the 1500 Olds Loyalty this may be the best time to trade that '99 in on a new vehicle. Your '99 should bring a good price and you can't beat the new deals with all the new features.

I also compared the T&C Limited with the Silo and came away impressed w/ the Silo (2nd Silo) and the money difference was a major factor. From all I've read about the reliability problems of the T&C I couldn't pass up the 60/60k warranty on the Silo.

I also noticed that our new radio didn't pull in the local stations very well. I'll inquire the next time I'm in for service if they have others saying the same thing.
  • dustmitdustmit Member Posts: 2
    Or should I try to negotiate on my own? I then hope to apply the manufacturer's rebate.
    Is it reasonable to think I could negotiate lower than $300 over invoice? I'm going to buy the 2001 GL.
    I would think that you could do much better than 300 over invoice. Check it out and if not go with the X plan.

FYI---Last November I purchased a new, 2001 Buick which I got at invoice plus a $2000 rebate....
    Does anyone have any information on the rumored AWD option on the Silo? Our DC awd is getting old...I'd love to buy a loaded Silo...

Jay
    My 2001 Silo's VCP player is still not fixed. The techs put in a new interface module with no improvement. The next step is replacing the screen. If that doesn't work then they'll replace the head-end unit. Disappointed kids.

Also, as anyone noticed a high pitched whistle coming from the radio on the 6 disc changer units? It's very annoying and alost forces me to listen to CDs exclusively. This will definitely be reported/corrected the next time I'm in for the VCP problem.
  • jjennings2jjennings2 Member Posts: 1
    Just pulled my new premier Silhouette out of the show room. Within a day we had a problem. The traction control service light popped on and automatically turned off the traction control system. Anybody else have this problem? The dealer is getting a call this morning.
    The dealer received the new radio and had it installed, but the same problem arose. They still were not able to pull any AM/FM radio stations. The tech hooked up a non-window based antenne, and the radio worked fine. They called Olds and began trouble shooting the problem. I guess, according to what the service manager has told me, is that the OnStar comms was affecting the signal reception for the radio, since they use much of the same wiring. Olds knows of this problem, and had the techs check 2 wires and a module. 1 wire and the module checked out ok, but the third wire had the problem. I guess they now have to re-do a bunch of coax in the van. I saw the van the other day, and the whole dash area and driver info center on the ceiling is all tore apart. My big fear is now the chance of squeaks and rattles once everyting is put back together. The replacement wire has been ordered and hopefully will be here in a day or two. Will let everyone know how the radio works once the wire is replaced, and give a part number for the wire if I can. As an aside, they gave us an "01 Montana to drive around until ours is fixed, and I sure like our Silo better.
  • cpdcherrycpdcherry Member Posts: 2
    We took a 2001 Venture LT van out for a final pre-delivery test drive, and the "Service Traction Control" light came on near the end of our drive just after I did a lot of backing up to check out the sonar feature.

I spoke to the service manager about it. Turns out an ABS sensor in a rear wheel was bad. That was replaced, and I have been assured that the van has test-driven well by the sales manager. We haven't been back yet,though. We already wasted two afternoons at the dealer (one for the test drive, another when they told us it was fixed but hadn't done anything to it yet) and are currently checking out other mini vans.

I liked the Odyssey a lot (here in Amarillo they're going for sticker plus any options the buyer wants, no high-dollar pinstripes etc.) and we're renting a Windstar on our vacation this weekend. Those GM card rebates sure are twisting my arm for the Chevy though!
    "The Silhouette minivan is a veritable living room on wheels."

link

Steve
    Host
  • kdavis3kdavis3 Member Posts: 1
    We've looked at the '01 Silo GLS and Premiere and like what we see. Saying farewell to our '94 Villager w/172K miles in the process. Any thoughts on trying to justify the extra $$ for the Premiere? Have 2 kids, but the idea of lugging around VHS tapes on trips seems like a hassle--they take up a fair amount of room. Is there such a thing as a portable DVD player that could be hooked up to the jacks on the SILO? Also, I look at the screen and think it's tiny. Any opinions on this? Do the cordless head phones work well? Thanks.
  • sew90sew90 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone here have any strange intermittant problems with their TV looking very cloudy with a line through the screen, but then the next time they run the car, the TV looks fine?

kdavis3 - Once I figure out what is going on with my TV, I can tell you that I am very happy with it. We have taken a couple of trips in it, and the screen is plenty big enough and the picture is clear. The headphones work really well too. We don't always keep tapes in the van, and our kids can only watch the TV when we are going on a trip. I would imagine you could use a DVD player, since there is a video/audio input jack on the VCP.
    I have a 99 Silo, GLS which I bought from my son. Originally, he didn't get the TV due to cost. He just felt it was overpriced. What he did for his son was buy a small (10" or 12") portable TV with a built in VCR, "installed" it in the Silo; worked out well. However he had to remove one of the seats to make room for the TV and make shift stand. Though it worked well, I always thought it was unsafe..............So, IMO, if you really feel you need the TV, buy the one that is installed by GM.

Hope this helps...
  • juliebensonjuliebenson Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2001 Silhouette Premiere in January of this year. It had about 4,000 miles on it...previously driven by the dealership owner's wife. Everything was fine at first..but for the past couple of months we've noticed an increasingly loud and frequent noise coming from what we think is the leveling compressor. I can't drive five minutes without that thing going off. Sometimes it sounds like a machine going off...it's that loud. On a 3 hour trip last month it sounded off at every single stop light. The service dept is trying to say that nothing is wrong with it...but we can't believe it's supposed to be that way. Have any of you experienced this with your vans? Thanks for the input.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Julie:

Would think that you have an air leak in the rear suspension system that is causing the compressor to constantly operate. I think there was a post on one of the other GM van sites and it was a hose not connected.

In our case (Chevy Venture) it will sometimes happen in the garage before we start or when the load changes such as more people or filling the gas tank. Certainly not every five minutes.

We are seeing numerous postings across Chevy/Olds/Pontiac that when people take their vans in to the dealers and they can never duplicate the problem. Literally you have to camp on the doorstep.

Rgds

David
    Agree with the comment about warranty service! They just don't seem to go the extra yard to find the problems. The "Services Advisors" are quite nice and make dropping off your car a relatively pleasant experience, but after that it's up for grabs!
  • sstaylorsstaylor Member Posts: 35
    Greetings,

Has anyone out there recently tried to lease a 2001 Silo., particularly a Premiere? I am in the market, like the van, but I can't seem to get a descent deal put together. The GMBUYPOWER site is listing SmartLease payments of "only $811" a month on a 36 month lease. Not to smart looking to me,

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    SSTaylor
    Well, after a little over a week of having our new Silo in the shop, we finally have it home. The wire finally arrived at the dealership, and now we are able to pull in all the radio stations in the area...and a few from longer distances. But, now when we turn the radio on...the message "CAL ERR" displays on the screen for about 5 seconds before showing the station frequency. Mentioned this to the service manager, and it will have to go back in to calibrate "something" but not sure what. Has anybody else experienced, or is experiencing, the radio problems of not being able to pull in AM/FM very well? The sales manager seems to think that it might just be our Silo.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Was interested in the comments in #288. In the Venture handbook, there is a brief item on Radio Calibration.

It would appear that the radio has to be calibrated for the individual vehicle. If the CAL appears, it means that your radio has not been configured properly and must be returned to the dealership, which you have already noted. Hopefully the dealer can fix it.

Although the radio is good in itself, I feel GM scrimped on the speakers in terms of quality and only putting in four. Many of the vans have at least six and believe the Mazda MPV has nine in its upgrade package. If GM want to keep up with the rest, this is an area that needs serious attention.

Does anybody feel that the windshield mounted antenna is as good as a regular outside mounted one ?
    This option is a necessity for my wife! Are heated seats and the coming awd options only available on the Silo or will the Pontiac or Chevy van offer these?
    the alarm is set off for no apparent reason, usually early in the morning. the horn sounds 5 times then shuts off. supposedly it is the shock sensor under the dashboard. any one else have this problem?
    Regarding #289 I don't think a windshield antenna works as good as a regular antenna.
  • bcbobbcbob Member Posts: 13
    The Montana offers heated seats if you opt for the leather, which you can only get in the high end models of course. Don't understand why you can't order leather seats in a base model.

I was kind of surprised that my Montana only had 4 speakers, I had thought it had six like many of the other vans until I went looking the other day. A couple more might make it better but the four in there seem pretty good. I've never been able to get anywhere near 1/2 volume for fear of blowing what's left of my hearing, the sound is clear enough for my tinny ears, and the speed compensating volume feature is great. The radio reception does leave something to be desired sometimes compared to what I get in my Tempo in the mountainous terrain we have around here. But I don't think the difference is that great and it's a whole lot easier to change stations with the steering wheel mounted control. Seems you gain some you lose some. Wonder if any of the automakers will ever clue in to offer a range of brands and sets that people can choose similar to the local audio shop?
  • 69cad69cad Member Posts: 6
    When we first got our '99 Silhouette, we had problems with the alarm going off frequently. Some time ago I think I figured out the problem, and we have never had a problem since. Our home is right on the main street in our village. I was parking the Silhouette right next to the sidewalk. Main street is a state highway, so there are often big trucks and Semi's going by. I saw that when A big truck went by, the alarm would go off. What I finally had to do was lock the door with the door lock button, rather than the remote. This disarms the alarm. Now my wife and I have switched parking spaces, so I park farther away from the street. Now I can lock the doors with the remote, activating the alarm, and no more problems with the alarm going off. I guess it was just the vibrations from the trucks going by that was activating the alarm. Otherwise, we love the van! We have had a few small problems with the electric door, and the Onstar cell phone, but both were corrected.
    I have a 99 Silo with 24K miles. Over the last couple of months I have had two epsodes of rough/abrupt/hard 1st and 2nd gear shifts. The problem occurs after the van is drive then shortly thereafter restarted. Then if I stop turn off the engine and restart let;s say after a 1/2 hour it's fine again. This does NOT happen often---only 2X in the last two months! Any ideas????
  • jjsmom1jjsmom1 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I was sold on buying a Honda Odyseey. However, with certain things coming down the pipe I just couldn't see being able to afford the new car payments. So I started looking at used. Discussed with others who already had a Silo and they indicated they really liked their van. Found a used 99 GLS from a private buyer. We really like the van and do not regret passing up the Odyssey. It is a very enjoyable van to drive. I believe a Silo is definitely worth looking for anyone unsure about what they want to buy at this time.
  • hardestyhardesty Member Posts: 166
    The motion sensor part of the alarm is adjustable. There is a screw under the dash somewhere. If you are interested, I will look it up in the service manuals, otherwise, your dealer should be able to make an adjustment for you.
    I haven't touched the shock sensor adjustment yet. When I set the alarm, I can push and shake the car without the alarm being triggered, yet when all is quiet it will sound off 5 times and rearm itself. Just curious how the sensor works.
    "New minivans prove GM hasn't lost the edge."

link

Steve
    Host
  • familycampersfamilycampers Member Posts: 1
    We are considering buying a 98 Silo from a dealer. It came from Canada, owners manual is in French, and was bought at an auction. Is there any way to find the previous owners? We have the carfax report, but it just says it was registered to the Quebec Motor Vehicle Dept, then registered to Indiana Motor Vehicle dept. then sold at auction, Central Region.
  • silotwosilotwo Member Posts: 27
    Just purchased a used 98 GLS with 35,000 miles after spending 11 years with a 1990 Silo. The 90 was terrific and still ran great at 125,000 miles when traded. Negotiated the price on the 98 down to $15,000 and thought it was time to take advantage of the opportunity.

I have a problem with the power sliding door in that it closes by itself. I can hear the latch work when it opens and it does open fully, but then in about 3 seconds it closes on its own, and closes completely. Had it to the dealer twice, they reset it the first time with no success, second time replaced the ignition switch and said all was well. As usual these days, all is not well and they have no answer.

I checked around and this is not associated with the door re-call. Would appreciate hearing about similar experiences and the ultimate fix.
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    We've pretty much decided to purchase a GM minivan (we have a 99 montana now coming off lease soon) ...

We're looking at the Warner Bros. Venture, Montanta w/ Montanavision, and the Silhouette Premier.

I know the Olds/Ponti have steering wheel audio controls and tach, the ponti has lower boddy cladding and 'sport suspension', and the olds has auto temp. control.

Does the venture have less sound deadening material (sounds louder)? I know it doesn't have steering wheel controls or a tachometer.

Anyone have an idea of the differences between them?

Thanks in advance,

-Dan