Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Peak Power: 300 HP @ 6300 rpm
    Peak Torque: 265 lb.-ft @ 5000 rpm (95% or more from 2500 rpm)
    Redline: 6800 rpm
    Curb Weight: 3850 lb.

0-60: 6.2s-6.5s
    Skidpad: ~0.85g (assuming Acura is aggressive with rubber)
    Top Speed: 150+ mph (also depending on tires, if Acura chooses to go with higher rating)
    Wheels: 17"
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    Peak Power: 300 HP @ 6000 rpm
    Peak Torque: 280 lb.-ft @ 5500 rpm (85% bofore 2500 rpm)
    Redline: 6500 rpm
    Curb Weight: 3500 lb.

0-60: 5.6s-6.0s
    1/4 mile: 13.6s at 106 mph
    Max land change speed: 65 mph
    60-0: 150 feet
    70-0: 160 feet
    Skidpad: 0.90 g (I wish it would be 1.00 g)
    Top Speed: 160 mph
    Wheels: 18" performance tire
    Estimate mpg: 20 city, 22 freeway
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    proe, is it a typo? 60-0 in 150ft is very very bad. 70-0 in 160ft is very good. A car does not drop from 70 to 60 in 10ft. There must be a typo.

Anyway, my take (I base my numbers on TL's and my BMW 540iA's).

Peak Power: 300 HP
    Peak Torque: 270 lb.-ft
    Redline: 6500 rpm
    Curb Weight: 3750 lb.
    0-60: 5.6s-6.0s
    1/4 mile: 14.0s
    60-0: 120 feet
    70-0: 160 feet
    Skidpad: 0.90+ g
    Top Speed: 160 mph
    Wheels: 17" standard, optional 18"
    Estimate mpg: 20 city, 25 freeway

jrock65, my previous number about GS sales was wrong. I took the Lexus car sales number and deduct ES/LS sales from it. I forgot the IS sales entirely. My mistake. Your number seems right. However, it further reinforce my point. Achieving 1000 unit sales for new RL is not an easy task.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    ..... different strokes for different folks.

I'm with the pro-Acura crowd. I liked most of their offerings: most notable exception being the re-badged Isuzu Trooper.

The '05 RL is my kind of car, a good balance of style, power, features. Even their limited color choices are sufficiently appealing (I'm color-blind, anyway).

I may opt to wait and pick up a "pre-owned" one after its owner tires of it or is persuaded to trade for the next new toy .......
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I think Robertsmx has the engine and weight pretty well pegged.

Peak Power: 300 HP @ 6300 rpm
    Peak Torque: 265 lb.-ft @ 5000 rpm (95% or more from 2500 rpm)
    Redline: 6800 rpm
    Curb Weight: 3850 lb.

I'm also expecting 0-60 times in the low 6 second range. Despite the weight, I think the SH-AWD design will help the car hit 0.88 or 0.90 on the skidpad. 60-0 braking will probably be about 130ft. Hondas tend to have mediocre stopping distances.
  • machaanmachaan Member Posts: 30
    Historically Hondas and Acuras have poor breaks and weeny torque.

Peak Power: 333 HP just for bragging rights
    Peak Torque: <200lb-ft @ any sane RPM
    Breaking: 60-0: 166 ft
    MPG: best in class

Acura will make up for this by offering everthing including fridge and kitchen sink as standard.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "However, it further reinforce my point. Achieving 1000 unit sales for new RL is not an easy task."

I do see your point.

But even though the GS only sells about 800 per month now, it did sell about 2500 per month for a couple years.

Anyways, it's all conjecture at this point. A lot of it will depend on pricing as well.

My predictions:

price: $48,000
    horsepower: 300
    torque: 270
    0 to 60: 6.0s
    average sales per month: 1300
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    >For me the issue with the current RL was not so much the exterior styling, it was a poor choice of exterior colors, and the cheapening of the interior, using plastic faux fake wood (that's fake x2)<

"That is incorrect. RL comes with Burl Camphor Wood (and, like everything else, it is not an option)".

What model year? The models I saw were made of plastic and the dealer comfirmed that fact.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    Regarding the 2004 RL, from Edmunds' coverage of the 2003 Chicago Auto Show:

"Meanwhile, the center console is covered in burled camphor wood."
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    And this is from the Acura website for the 2004 RL - "The center console is trimmed with hand-selected burled camphor wood crafted by woodworkers in Japan."
    What model year? The models I saw were made of plastic and the dealer comfirmed that fact.
    Confirmed fact? My boss drives a 2002 RL and it has burled camphor wood trim.
  • bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    The RL has always had real wood veneer, the previous Legend had real wood also only the L base model was plastic.. Don't know why they don't add the real thing in the TL as every Lexus has real wood.
    In case of TL, Acura is using real brushed aluminum trim instead of faux aluminum trim that some others are. IMO, Honda&#146;s faux wood trim is quite good, and looks like real wood (until you knock on it). But then, it is just that, a trim. I would rather have standard CD changer than standard wood trim in my car. Oh well, give me both, as long as there is no overcharging involved.

In the Japanese market, Honda doesn&#146;t shy away from offering a choice of real wood in its vehicles. The following are interior pictures of Honda Inspire (similar to American Accord)
    With Walnut Trim
    With Brushed Aluminum Look

Inspire&#146;s interior is similar to Acura TSX&#146;s.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    damn i wanna drive on the other side of the road!
    ksso
    I have. :-)
    This is where I get kicked out of the luxury car forums, but here we go...

I'd rather have plood. A good plastic wood facsimile does the job for me. As long as it looks real, I'm happy.

Most burl woods come from harvesting old growth trees. These trees are hard to come by and often serve a strong role in their environment. Chopping them down for car interiors doesn't seem like a good plan to me. Especially since the manufacturers protect the wood with a thick plastic coating anyway. Might as well be plastic!

As long as I'm chiming in, I'll say that I agree with what someone was posting earlier. Wood and brushed metal are accent materials. They should not cover the whole dash.
  • rarirorariro Member Posts: 1
    i had these problems in my 96rl after my warrant,
    110k miles now
    1)4 automatic window opener broken(All four glass)
    2)radiator broken
    3)passenger side door handle broken.

All others work wonderful.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    Indisputably, my '96 RL has Burl Camphor Wood trim; all that's faux, are the claims contesting that. The trim is spare enough so as not to be ostentatious. I would have preferred that the wood not be coated and that it had a matte finish. It does have the appearance of quality, despite the glisten. However, who among us has a bedroom suite consisting of Burl Camphor Wood? LOL!!Any suitable color and grain would have done the job without the "BCW" badge! So, what counts is the appearance of quality when it involves trim. Assuredly, most (or none) of us had ever HEARD of Burl Camphor Wood...it sounds like something used to fend off moths in your clothing closet!
    Aesthetically, I do have a small objection to the metal console in the 2005 RL. The two lines of metal that frame the side, extend too far and seem to go nowhere at the bottom; IMHO, they should have ended at the bottom and framed the entire enclosure.Instead, they hang like two lines holding up a goal post.The lines need "resolution."

My Thoughts on Prospective Specs:

Horsepower: 300
    Torque: 275
    0-60: 6 sec.
    Rims: 18 inch (17 inch not "progressive" enough.
    Price: $49,000

I agree with previous posts that assert that the new RL, though not dramatic in it's styling, can endure. "Refined" and "somewhat bland" are descriptions that don't provoke heated controversy; mild dismay, perhaps, but not real contention. If the RL's innards prove to be powerful, sophisticated and ergonomically comfortable, this could dilute any prospective disappointment with the exterior. Can hardly wait!
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Amen, brother! I am with you 1000%. I am fed up with the hedonistic, "gotta have mine" attitude at the expense of the planet. And you are right, since all of the wood is covered by some sort of plastic anyway, what's the difference. Just make it out of high quality plastic (or aluminum, etc) and be done with it. The types of wood most coveted for dash boards is that most endangered. We are already doing a great job in cutting down the remaining teak, oak, cedar, redwood, etc, etc, of any consequence with significant impacts to wildlife, environment, etc. Let 'em be. We can't tell the difference between plastic-coated teak and plastic-looking teak anyway. Thanks for posting your views.
    From THE GRADUATE, 1967, to Benjamin Braddock:
    One word ...... PLASTICS!
    I think, though I'd love for trees not to be cut, I think (most time I don't), pound to a pound, aluminum or plastic is more harmful to produce than wood, atleast most wood trees can be re-planted, but aluminum, plastics need chemical belching huge activities, mining, etc... etc... etc...

ksso
    But I think a pound of aluminum may be able to cover more surface than a pound of wood. ;-)
    i think you are forgetting the concept of veeneers, which is what is used for any overlays....

when they tell you they are using some chickory dickory wood in your car, they are not using solid chiseled blocks of wood... its just veneers or veeneers, however they are spelled...

ksso
  • jeff88jeff88 Member Posts: 94
    Count me in as one who loves the look of the genuine walnut used in the rl but would be glad for a very nice facsimile of the same in pure plastique for environmental concerns. Plastique sounds better...genuine solid burled walnetted plastique with finely brushed aluminium. :)

'05 rl mpg (my guess) will be more like 19 city, 28 highway based on what I've seen acura deliver with their 5 sp auto in the tl and tsx. it should be tracking about 2000 rpm at 75 mph and with it's decent aerodynamics, give a nice highway return on gas. hauling around awd and a bigger body than the tl, it will deliver less in stop-and-go.

Oh yeah, agree with this no-brainer, '04 tl takes the '04 rl in less than 2 rounds.

spent the weekend bombing around northern OH and western PA with old friends in an a4 1.8 quattro with 5 sp and loved driving it. was pretty impressed with a 1.8 litre 4 delvering smooth power up and down the curve. interesting in that it only gets around 26 mpg highway but revs were well over 3 grand at 75 mph. still, it hummed along nicely. my other partner has a new clk 320 and it was very fine too. but nothing compares to the 35' sailboat we launched from Catawba island sailing the weekend around the Erie Islands -- never thought 8 nauts could be that much fun. 1st mate duties require large amounts of food and drink too, was clocking about 3 beers per afternoon high seas, 2-3 glasses wine docked.
    we keep cross posting. whattsamatta U?
    Hey now! There is no requirement in the TH rules saying that posts have to make sense! =)

With old growth trees, it's a bit more complicated than just replanting. The environments where these trees survive tend to be those where mankind has not yet intruded. The trees are very old and, even if replanted, will not reach the maturity of an old growth tree for well over 100 years.

Okay, eco-rant over. Sorry about the topic shift.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    recently that used black glass on the dash.

I think it looked great.

Glass is made with sand and heat. A well run glass works can be very eco-friendly.
    I put in 550+ square feet of laminate flooring in my home last year. It's an "engineered" product of compressed wood by-products (like particle board) with a laminated top (like Formica) of a pretty good-looking maple grain. Went down pretty easily and quickly once I got the hang of it. Looks like a $6K job that cost about $1.2K for materials.

I'm thinking of putting more in as the W-T-W carpeting wears out.

In cars, I don't think that the wood vs. plastic veneer for accent trim is that big a deal.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    jeff88: "plastique"? "bombing around"?

uh oh!
    haha carlismo, well caught, i dont want my RL to smell of RDX or something...

Hey Jeff, what's going on? On the other hand, I'm thinking of making a Seattle to Jersey drive in a free '96 A6....

ksso
    Well lets see, there is an article on CNN.com which talks about Honda CEO driving around at 181 mph in a test car on the togichi race track.. There is some additional information in that article that talks about what will filter into the RL.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/24/news/international/honda_ceo.reut- /index.htm?cnn=yes

It has a intelligent night vision technology is capable of picking out pedestrians in the dark using two sensors below the headlight and here's the second tid bit of information, it will use a head's up display, like some GM luxury vehicles. This is all debuting on the Honda Legend, which we all know is the Acura RL here.

lets see if it really makes the light of the day.
    Logic1 - I assume that glass was crash safe. I like the idea of using glass. My cousin works with glass as a hobby. It can be used to create some wonderful effects. But I'd be concerned about how flexible it is (or isn't).

Ksoman - Thanks for the link. If Acura moves forward with that, I doubt we'll see it here in NA. In Japan, and to a lesser extend Europe, pedestrian safety is a bigger concern. They do a lot more driving in cities with bicycle and pedestrian traffic. Here in the US, we tend to stick to highways.
    I doubt the night vision (Honda showcased it first in the Dualnote prototype at 2001 Tokyo Motor Show) and LKAS (Lane Keep Assist) will make it to the RL. They will definitely be offered in Japan since the lesser models have it.

Intelligent cruise control (something that we expected to see in 1999 TL since 1998 TL-X concept had it) will definitely be offered. I would like to see Acura offer CMS/e-Pretensioner though another feature that is offered in Japanese Accord and Inspire. CMS (Collision Mitigation System) uses radar to detect potential accident and starts with a warning to the driver. If the driver responds, brake assist &#147;assists&#148; the driver to a safe stop. If the driver doesn&#146;t, and it is too late, the seat belt tightens up before imminent collision and the CMS takes over the braking task and applies full braking force.

I just read that Toyota&#146;s version may be offered in the new GS as an option.
    The display gadgetry showcased with the Dualnote was supposedly co-developed by Honda and NTT (Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation).

&#147;The center display, located at the bottom of the windshield to minimize driver distraction, incorporates an arrow navigation display to indicate branches in the road ahead, and night vision, which uses an infrared camera to detect pedestrians. The image is then processed and displayed to the driver.&#148;
    Good one!

Ksso, just drop off that "free" a6 here in Houston and take my company car with you. I won't say a thing...

The mdx has fake wood and it does not appear to be too bad. the pre- '04 tl had it too and the black/gray stuff looked much worse than the plastique found in the saddle interior version. how does the new tl look with the fake wood accent? the old '96 rl looked really good to my eyes especially on the board section on the passenger side and over the cupholder.
    are you an insider?

jeff, i'll make sure i drive atleast 1000 miles away from you.

;)

ksso
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    It seems to me that if Acura is offering paddle shifters on it's new 05' RL and since paddle shifters are mostly found on ultra-high performance vehicles - Acura is making a not so subtle statement that the performance characteristic of their RL should "rock". I can't wait until September...
    Unfortunately, no. If I were, I wouldn't be as curious. ;-)
  • gbabalukgbabaluk Member Posts: 70
    Hi Courtney11;
    The V6 versus V8 is not about the 0-60 times but the RL will be lucky to do 7.5 seconds at best because of it's weight. It's almost 800 pounds heavier than your TL.
    The V8 is all about "torgue" in a "luxury" car. When you have 4 adults in it, you will miss the low end pull that a V8 gives the car.
    Again, the new RL is a great car but for us Canadians,eh, way over priced.
    Babs
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    Do I understand correctly that dealers get to see the RL for the first time tomorrow?

Is best guess delivery time early October, at earliest?

Has there been a comprehensive comment on the paddle shifters in a previous post? Any strong feelings about them?
    <<Do I understand correctly that dealers get to see the RL for the first time tomorrow?

My salesman told me Sept 7, I believe. And other posters have said about the same.
    >Has there been a comprehensive comment on the paddle shifters in a previous post? Any strong feelings about them? <

I wouldn't want to go up Sh*t Creek Road without 'em!

;-)
    <<Do I understand correctly that dealers get to see the RL for the first time tomorrow?

My salesman told me Sept 7, I believe. And other posters have said about the same. <<

That's precisely what the salesman at Keyes Acura in Van Nuys, California told me yesterday. Right after the holiday they are going down to Honda HQ and will see and drive the car.

When the dealership will get some to show or sell he could not say.
  • tls02tls02 Member Posts: 20
    Same on the East Coast. My dealer, in the NYC area, said that they will do their "Ride & Drive" on Sept 8th and 9th. They expect to have an RL for test drives around the end of Sept, but that's only a guess.
    did you just spam? you might want to check with the host for unwittingly breaking any rules here, then again, maybe not...

i just realized, those leases are not cheap. considering acura's hold their value, leases are supposed to be cheap...

ksso
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    What in the wide wide world of sports was this post from an Acura dealer about? I would love to see more official participation in the town hall, and, unless it becomes frequent, I say let it pass, but for Pete's sake -- at least engage us in someway.

Burma Shave.
    I suspect this is what that post was all about:

2005 Acura RL - Coming Soon
    Scheduled Release Date: October 14, 2004. More info to come in days!

However, if that's the case, he should have cut and pasted, just as I did and spared us the rest of the e-mail.
  • adamar1adamar1 Member Posts: 14
    Whatever the reason that one Acura Dealer posted his Acura specials for sale or lease, this forum is obviously not intended for such purposes. His message was miles long and certainly cluttered up this message board. Hopefully it was a careless oversight rather than an attempt to drum up business, but I suspect it might be the latter.

Gosh Mark, I haven't seen the words "Burma Shave" since I was a kid many moons ago, and it was posted in ad signs along the highway. I wonder if we are of the same vintage!!!!! I was certainly amused when I saw it.
  • adamar1adamar1 Member Posts: 14
    While I have been more active in reading and participating in this forum in recent weeks, I find a lot of amusement in the reading. Obviously, we RL lovers are anxiously anticipating seeing the 2005 RL in the flesh and getting behind the wheel. Until then, it is all speculation and hype to a large degree.

I am trying not to be too biased by the pictures that have been released of the 2005 RL--I was one of the first to comment that I thought the rear of the car looked more like a Honda Accord than the present RL. Maybe I will change my mind when I see it. I would hate to pay the large premium for a 2005 RL if it really resembles the Honda Accord that closely. I also don't like the center of the dashboard with all of that silver colored metal (whatever it is)--I still like the rich look of wood. However, in the end analysis, it will be how I feel behind the wheel that will one of the most important considerations.

I love the discussions by those who are considering defecting to other Japanese cars (e.g., Infiniti M) or some European car. Until we can make actual comparisons side by side and also hear what the experts say about the new cars once they hit the market, it is just a fun debate not to be taken too seriously!
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    Where is Kirstie, our "Host", when we need him/her to delete such messages???