Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura RL

Comments

• Options
    prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    At least you got SOMETHING. I haven't heard a word yet ........
  • Options
    legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    >I ordered one (actually one for the RL and one for the TL) from Acura two weeks ago, but all I got was a small booklet showing the lineup of all Acura models.<

That's more than I got.

>How disappointing<

You said it. I just don't understand Acura ... they must be run by automotive engineering geeks -- brilliant in what they do under the hood but clueless when it comes to marketing.

You'd think they'd have brochures by now, and failing that, you'd think that the darn website would, at the least, be fully up to speed and answering the confounding color choice questions we've all been struggling with these past several weeks.

One would think that we, perhaps among the most "knowledgeable" about this future car, would be able to discern with some precision some of the car colors offered to date; but no, not even the web site bothers to state exterior or interior colors of the cars that they do show us. This is a frustrating guessing game that is needless and off-putting.

Heck, months ago Infiniti sent me a really nice and inviting mini-brochure on the new M, a car that is not due in showrooms until March 2005. You'd think that if Infiniti could do that, then Acura could at least get us the bloody colors by now.

How many years now have we been waiting for the new and improved RL? Kinda reminds me of the 1960s song by the KINKS -- "So tired, tired of waiting, tired of waiting for you"

Which leads me to my next point -- when is Acura going to learn a thing or two from Lexus (and others) and start treating its customers with respect and appreciation? Especially its repeat customers? This is no way to treat an old friend.
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    sounds pretty cool that you can drive a car w/o touching the key. But isn't that a bit thief friendly also, if you ever lose the key in a parking lot or leave it inside of the car? A double-edged sword?
  • Options
    shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    ...It is interesting that even with the internet (where electronic images and texts are available online), most car buyers still want hard copy brochures :-)...

I want a brochure because the color reproduction found in a high quality glossy hard copy is much more accurate than what I see on my monitor!
  • Options
    gereldgereld Member Posts: 9
    I'm just curious, does anyone know how long it takes a ship to get from Japan to the West Coast? Will the RL then be distributed by rail? I will buy an RL but have a hard time placing an order before I have driven one.
  • Options
    formulaformula Member Posts: 17
    Try these links for some pictures of "Lakeshore Silver"

http://www.omqtech.com/images/rl15.jpg

http://www.omqtech.com/images/lakeshore.JPG
  • Options
    Thank you Formula! Hmmmm, one looks like it's dark gray and the other appears to be "denim"...Acura needs to release the brochures...
  • Options
    2005 PREVIEW

Gadgets mean less required of drivers

By Rick Popely and Jim Mateja
    Tribune staff reporters
    Published September 26, 2004

Just when you thought you had seen it all, automakers come up with a few more features that are sure to prompt gadget freaks to gush, "Gee, what will they think of next?"

The trend over the years has been to reduce the physical and mental demands on drivers, and that continues for 2005, moving the industry a little closer to when automatic pilot will be standard.

Cadillac's redesigned STS, for example, offers an optional headlamp system that automatically dims the bright lights when it spots a car coming from the opposite direction or when the STS approaches another car from behind.

Jeep took a dim view of that and instead gives the Grand Cherokee optional headlamps that also automatically turn on the bright beams when sensors determine the road ahead is dark.

Like Cadillac's, Jeep's system switches back from bright to regular beam when another vehicle approaches from the opposite direction.

As technology reduces the demands on motorists, the chances increase that driver will nod off from inactivity.

Infiniti addresses that with a lane-departure warning system, an option on the FX35 and FX45 SUVs. The system sounds a warning if a camera senses the vehicle is drifting out of a lane without a turn signal on.

The system can be turned off.

Volvo will offer a blind-spot information system in June as a new option for the S60 and S80 sedans and V70/XC70 wagons. Digital cameras in the side mirrors monitor the typical blind spots and alert the driver with a warning light if another vehicle enters either area.

This system also can be turned off.

Acura tries to give its owners a leg up on other drivers bogged down in rush-hour traffic with the AcuraLink communications system for the redesigned RL sedan.

Instead of waiting for radio announcers to relay reports, the system provides real-time information on traffic accidents, construction and flow on expressways in 20 major metro areas, including Chicago, via XM satellite radio. It displays information graphically on the RL's navigation screen.

Virtually every company offers power sunroofs, but the Pontiac G6 and Porsche Cayenne have panoramic roof options in which individual glass panels slide open instead of a single piece. Both have one fixed and three movable glass sections.

Automakers are trying to get buyers excited about minivans again, and Honda's redesigned Odyssey is available with a new feature called Stowable 2nd Row PlusOne.

The center seat in the third-place second row converts to a tray table or can be removed and stored in the floor.

Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    yeah whatever happened to the use of "solid!"... I'm just 32, but I used it quite a bit as a kid, now if I say that, I get perplexed looks... maybe I'm from mars.

ksso
  • Options
    grayghostgrayghost Member Posts: 23
    You have to have the key fob on your person in order for the door to unlock. It has an immobilizer chip built in. The vehicle won't lock the key fob inside the cabin or inside the trunk unless you make an extra effort to do so. It also alerts you if the key fob is leaving the vehicle while the vehicle is still running. It's pretty cool (and secure)...
  • Options
    acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    ksso:

Basically, "solid" vanished with the dissolution of the swing bands of the 30's and 40's. In the early 50's, "cool" made the scene, with the exception of a few old sidemen who clung to the old expression. "Solid' was always exclaimed with great enthusiasm, whereas "cool" was said with some restraint. The dictionary describes "solid" as "something of good substantial quality; made firmly and well." Actually, the hippest of hip would say, "Solid,Jackson!" The sine qua non.

Anyhow, why was a young guy like you going around saying "solid" in the '70s? You were a hip anachronism!

Sorry to have strayed from the RL-oquoy, guys, but as an old band singer, the nostalgia bug hit on me.

Never mind this digression...where are the brochures????
  • Options
    igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Mmm is that mentioned on the web showroom? So what you are saying is that the key fob has to be outside of RL for it to unlock upon touching the door handle? And RL can tell it because its using an immobilizer chip in the key fob? Does that mean the fob has to move a little for RL to unlock?

"It also alerts you if the key fob is leaving the vehicle while the vehicle is still running. "

You mean like when a passenger with the fob in her purse goes to a store to buy some soda while you are waiting (maybe annoying actually at the moment), and then (I see) drops the key fob in the store when coming back to the car? Sounds cool, and necessary indeed.
  • Options
    steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    As anticipated some nice models have appeared to the Paris autoshow. The FR-V (3+3) sure looks as another hit (we will have to see what will happen to the US bound production. I guess the 2.0 liter engine will get a boost etc..).

But what I really wanted to get back (and disstrat somewhat form the color topic obsessing the last few pages of this post) is the possibility of a few more tricks comeing out of the Honda's hat.

I gave some more thoughts to the earlier discussions we had on a RL offering with hybrid (in a year or two) but now I am thinking that it may not be the case. Just a hunch, but I'll offer some reasoning on why I say so. We have a V6 and a car that puts an exciting ride at our avail while (as seen with prototype mules) an SH-AWD/hybrid Accord is most certainly coming to fill the need of those wanting the extra mileage from their gasoline.
    That said the VCM could be very much in the work for the Rl as well.

The real reason I do believe the hybrod will not be for the RL is that I have a strong feeling will be seeing the RL big brother soon. Honda is soing real well in IRL racing and is impressing in its Formula-1 outfit (BAR) as well. Now next year the F-1 crowd will race on a V8 platform. Needless to say that this puts to rest the perennial question is Honda would ever go there, it is already there. So I can tell you that given the very favorable reception for the RL models, and if good sales follow, we will see an Acura V8 SH-AWD model in no more than 2 years from now (I feel lots of good vibes, and hopefully I am also correct)!

Now last nut not least I wanted to resurrect the tyre topic. Not the size issue but the fact that rumors had that Honda had asked Michelin for special tyres (probably to mate the SH-AWD capabilities). Well I had an earlier post that exceeded somewhat the mark I wanted to make, but in short Michelin has already developed a variable thread tyre (the shoulder flatten out during steering offering higher contact surface/adherence) styled after racing tyres and I wonder if:

1) we will see those tyres on the RL, or
    2) the tyres in question will come with a future A-spec release

I hope to hear back from others on these topics.
    Truly,

Steve
  • Options
    carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    So they've been racing with both V8s and turbos... interesting...
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but...

I doubt very much that the FR-V/Edix will be coming to the NA markets. Honda already offers the Element for folks who like quirky utility vehicles. The FR-V is a great little buggy, but it was not designed for US tastes.

The Accord test mule was a disguise. That's all. There is no reason for Honda to offer SH-AWD in an Accord when that system hasn't even been applied to the rest of the Acura line. Acura must maintain some exclusivity over the lower line.

VCM in the RL is a decent bet. A hybrid (with VCM) is another possibility for more power and a boost in economy. Though probably not a few years. It's likely an upgrade project for when the RL is a few years old and needs to be refreshed.

A V8 for IRL racing would not be a good basis for a street car. Racing engines are designed to be used exclusively at high rpms with little concern for low-end torque. They are not designed with fuel economy in mind, nor are they built for low NVH. Maybe an engine like that would work in a car like the NSX, but it would not for the RL and MDX.
  • Options
    jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Hi Guys...Just returned from my 45th high school class reunion this past weekend and that would put me in the age bracket of some of the elder statesmen of this forum. I grew up in your sterio typical American Graffitti setting. A FEW OF THE GUYS TALKED ABOUT THE COOL BEBOP GENE WHO DROVE THE HOTTEST CAR IN TOWN, A BLACK '56 CHEVIE CONVERTIBLE WITH THE BEST SOUNDING PIPES ON THE STREET. For some reason the word "cool" was said with restraint and became more meaningful into the 60's than it did in the fifties...yeah and I wonder if any of you ever used the word "Dynamite" ...that one seemed to stay in my memory! HEY....WHERE ARE THE BROCHURES?
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I’ve a feeling that Honda will eventually deliver a V8 (when everybody else will feel the need to have a V12). At this time, it isn’t about expertise (Honda has plenty of that in racing form, including V8, V10 and V12, with or without turbo) or expense, but returns. Production of a V8 will not be a financially sound idea in absence of a lineup that can utilize it. 150-200 units/month of RL plus NSX isn’t going to cut it. A volume lineup will be needed, even if it is designed to use the V8 in a different way (more specifically, a larger pickup).

Honda is likely to invest more in variations of its diesel engine, perhaps a diesel V6, before it ventures into gasoline V8. At least, I hope so. This will give them an opportunity to market TL and RL better in Europe than they could with V6, or V8 gasoline models.

Hybrid is an intriguing option, and Honda might do it on RL. The SH-AWD may have been designed around it (the concept is very similar to the hybrid AWD system found in Dualnote prototype) and so it may be a matter of simply attaching the IMA. As far as cost is concerned, choice of V8 typically adds $3-5K, about the same can be expected in implementing an IMA set up.
  • Options
    aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I think the introduction of a V8 equipped car by a luxury brand is not intended to make money but to have a halo-effect over the rest of the line-up. People get drawn into the dealership and then finally walk out with the V6 version, with "almost all the attributes of the V8 model". Thus even if the V8 model "loses" money, it will have served its purpose, which is to increase the sales of the rest of the line-up.

I think it is the small car mentality of Honda that is holding them back from offering a V8 in their top-of-the-line halo product. They resisted even offering a V6 in the earlier iterations of the Accord, and tried to make-do with a 4-cylinder, until market realities slapped a bit of reality into them. Lexus landed in the country, after Acura, with a big splash - with a full-blown V8 and all other luxo goodies in their top-of-the-line model - and has never looked back. An image of the marque was built right there and was maintained through an excellent business model and products tailored accordingly. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned there.
  • Options
    This morning I received a reply e-mail from Acura "site assistance" in response to mine notifying them of the problem with the new RL Interior Features "Basic Controls" button not working. The rep claimed that she checked it and that it was fine. I subsequently checked it again and found that it was not -- just got the spinning sprocket while hearing AUDIO but not seeing any VIDEO. I am wondering if any of you are still having the same problems you reported earlier or are now able to see the video mentioned above.

Secondly, I renewed my complaint about & request for Acura to post the car's paint and interior schemes on the new website ... like NOW. We'll see if I get an answer to that one.

Please feel free to send Acura a comment about the website (there is a link for that), and about the missing color palette, photos of the car in different colors, etc. Maybe if they get a flurry of e-mails on the subject it might light a fire under someone's butt. It can't hurt!
  • Options
    pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    Honda currently using 3.0L V10 for it's BAR F1 car, it's not delivers 900HP and is naturally aspirated. I'll say forget the V8 and go with V10:)
  • Options
    dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    I hear you, man. What kind of rocket fuel do those F1 cars use, anyway? What can I expect for fuel economy?
  • Options
    carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    And can we get American drivers accustomed to using their engine in the 11,000rpm range?
  • Options
    acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    I, too sent an e-mail complaint saying how ungenerous it is to withhold both the brochure and the color chart. I mentioned the incomplete website and scolded them for treating the Acura community so shabbily, and that our enthusiasm is rapidly morphing into resentment. I said that there is no reasonable business purpose served by such devotion to secrecy.
    By all rights,I said, those brochures accomplish nothing sitting on the floor of Tom Elliot's office!!!!
    Furthermore, brochures lead to sales...they represent the first "sense" of ownership and are looked at long after the car is in the owner's possession. Strange, ongoing phenomena: lying in bed at night checking out the brochure while the car sits in the driveway!!!
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    This morning I received a reply e-mail from Acura "site assistance" in response to mine notifying them of the problem with the new RL Interior Features "Basic Controls" button not working. The rep claimed that she checked it and that it was fine. I subsequently checked it again and found that it was not -- just got the spinning sprocket while hearing AUDIO but not seeing any VIDEO. I am wondering if any of you are still having the same problems you reported earlier or are now able to see the video mentioned above.

No sir. I have been trying every night. The "Basic Control" still hangs. That is the only one I have problem with.

BTW, I am not very impressed with any web-based color chart at all. They cannot deliver the right colors to your eyes. I rather wait for the paper brochure. Even that is inferior to the real car under sunshine. However, I always pick the car and my wife pick the color. Color is not my most concern.
  • Options
    >I said that there is no reasonable business purpose served by such devotion to secrecy.<

I am glad that you sent the e-mail Acuraphile. They needed to hear it, and more often. The folks at Acura have been living in an ivory tower for too long now. I agree with all of your sentiments wholeheartedly.

I called Acura tonight to request a 2005 RL brochure be mailed to me and they told me that they don't even have a LIST to put me on. I then asked if they could keep my name or heaven forbid, create such a list. No, that was way beyond his pay grade. "That would have to elevated to much higher levels in the company" I was told. I was then given the phone number for Acura Customer Relations (800-382-2238) to call tomorrow. (I have always found that department to be staffed by rather smarmy people -- I detest calling them).

Anyway, this same guy said that his info on the new RL was that the new car and new brochure was due out on September 13. No, not a typo ... when I told him it was reported as coming out on October 14, he reiterated what his computer was telling him about the new release of the 2005 RL and the brochure -- both "due out concurrently on September 13". (Note -- even though the September 13 date was screwed up, it appears that Acura intends to withold the brochure release date until the car is actually in the showroom.)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is another example of how Acura just does not get it. Notwithstanding the techological achievements their engineers develop, their marketing and customer relations skills are absymal. This is one of the reasons that 'Lexusguy' gets to crow about how great a company Lexus is. And it's true .. and you know it the minute you walk in their door. Nope, you won't feel that way at Acura ... you might as well be at an Oldsmobile dealer. Oh wait a minute, they went out of business, didn't they?

Separately, I too am a guy who loves to read the brochure over and over, both before and after I buy (especially at a $50K price tag). That is, if I ever get one, and if I ever buy. ;-)
  • Options
    prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    I still have my brochures for the 1986 Legend, 1987 Legend L coupe, and 1991 Legend LS I bought NEW, as well as the 1987 Integra LS. None for the 1996 RL as that was purchased PRE-OWNED.

What did that guy mean, NO LIST?????? They had a sign-up for brochures on their website!
  • Options
    I’m not going to suggest that Honda should unleash a V10 or a V12, but you don’t have to have V10 revving to 11K rpm. In Viper, it certainly doesn’t. Of course, you will have to give up power output in the process due to limited displacement, but then, power isn’t an issue with the V6 in RL anyway. There aren’t many six-cylinder cars in its class that can boast as much power, and performance that will compare to V8. Given that, the “need” for V8 is overrated, and becomes only an academic issue.

Cars need to sell on their merits, not on some halo effect. I’m sure Infiniti has learnt the lesson. Nobody seems to care about the Q45 or M45, but people go gaga over the G35. Talk about “halo effect”. In this case, the lesser model is being used as a benchmark to revise the upper trims.

One of the problems with Infiniti may have been that it attempted to create its own niche with high powered V8. Lexus, OTOH, has always played it safe, “following” the leaders (more specifically, Mercedes Benz) right from the start. And it also helps to have an appeal to an older, richer buyer, that’s long been Toyota’s territory, and also something that has been bothering the company a lot, not only in North America, but also in Japan.

OTOH, Honda may be well served by developing a 3.5-liter V6 diesel with 225 HP/ 400 lb.-ft using design cues from its highly rated 2.2 diesel engine, and throw it in the European Legend.
  • Options
    cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    About two months ago I stopped by a large new Honda dealership. Must have been 25 salemen outside waiting to grab you. After explaining 10 times that I wanted to compare the pricing and pick up a brochure for my better half, they said they did not have brochures. Said would mail me one. Must have received 5 follow up calls from the dealership and a dealer rating service company. All wanted to know what it took to get my business.
    Told them to check on my brochure, to date no brochure. In essence all that waste of manpower and calls. I will never see the promised brochure.
  • Options
    you all make good points, but remember a diamond has 58 facets, and each one of you seems to be looking at only one of them...

i just hate the limited information on the RL right now, i care less about what they can or cannot do in 2/4/6/8/10 years.... actually normally i do care, but i hate the lack of information which is making me extremely short sighted !!

ksso
  • Options
    steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    Just bought an 'anniversary band' and just wanted to update you that the classic diamond (and other hard gems) cut is no longer the 'standard'. Now the end result of the new cuts (I got the Hearts on Fire one) is 200 facets!!

Gemmology aside I fully agreee with everybody else that the lack of info/brochure etc. it is a loud statement of incapacity of understanding the U.S. market needs! This begs on request I have for Legendman. If I recall correctly you had the opportunity to chat with higher-ups in the Acura hierarchy and I was thinking if you could just collect names of posters or other significant info and send it their way. As an alternative I would beg our moderator to consider such a move on behalf of the Edmunds Acura 2005 RL thread.
    Truly,

Steve
  • Options
    peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    Dear RL fans:

I am considering buying a 00 RL. (Local deal has a certified one with 40k mile, and asks for $19.99K). I have a few questions only you guys can answer:

1. I know Acura has an excellent reliability records and the cars seem run forever. Can you guys give me some firsthand feedback?

2. Is it difficult/expensive to find after market part for RL? (I have an ISUZU Trooper and it is always a pain to repair it).

Thanks a lot!

Peter
  • Options
    dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    On the contrary, I think Acura will eventually need a V8 to play with the big boys. Lets face it, Acura has never been on the same footing as MB, BMW, Lexus. In the luxury segment, PRESTIGE is everything. For several years since its inception, Acura sold the Integra. Nice cars, but not exactly image-boosting. Acura is a good brand in need of a better reputation. Good V6 cars help sales, Good V8 cars help reps. The new M (supposedly leaps and bounds better than the outgoing model) is really going to help Infiniti's rep.
  • Options
    Eventually, may be. Depends on a variety of factors that "the future" may have in store. Today, I doubt it. M serves a good case in point as a matter of fact. The "halo" of V8 did it no good. Now, it will be an option, and likely, will continue to sell in low volume, while the "sales carrying" model will continue to be the six cylinder version. Watch!

Good thing you brought up Integra as well. Although, this could lead us into the realm of OT messages, I must say that Integra (RSX) isn't the core model in Acura lineup any more. TL and MDX are getting the job done, that at one time, Integra did. Actually, I believe, the $35K TL is selling at a pace thats better than $20K Integra of the past. So, Acura has grown from relying on a $20K volume seller, to cars that MSRP in $34-40K range (thats TL and MDX territory) accounting for 2/3 of Acura's sales at 110-120K units/year.

Of course, to grow further, the company will have to diversify, but thats where the new RL takes over!
  • Options
    My dealer informed me that their sales team heads to Chicago tomorrow to get educated and test drive the new RL.....no luck getting info on when the new brochure will be ready...his reply on that was "John...you now how it is with Acura...but I will save you one when they come in!"
    They have preorders on 18 of the 20 cars allocated for the first 2 months.
  • Options
    houstonguy1houstonguy1 Member Posts: 12
    I spoke with Houston-based Acura dealership today. The sales reps. had a chance to drive the car in Dallas against BWM 5-Series, Audi A6, and E-Series BMW. They told me that the Acura handled extremely well and, in some cases, superior to the BMW. One guy noted in particular that the BWM powered down in sharp turns (to avoid skidding out of control) whereas the Acura could take the turns at full power.

As for delivery date, the RL is coming from Japan and everyone is cautious in predicting a date. But, the lastest anyone is thinking is Oct 23 or so for the first shipment.
  • Options
    satiresatire Member Posts: 71
    Hi Peter:

I have an '00 and love it. Never a problem (am on my 3rd Acura). As far as parts, that should be no problem. Acura/Honda is well established and parts are readily available.

Enjoy your Acura!
  • Options
    nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    I spoke with a salesman with my Washington DC area dealership on Friday. He'd driven the RL and had similar rave reviews, though I wouldn't have expected him to say anything derogatory. He still claims delivery about Oct 14. He says they'll get 10-12 in their first shipment. They have 22 people on their waiting list - I'm #1!
  • Options
    phild_masonphild_mason Member Posts: 99
    The RL you are considering should be ready to go. The certification gives you good warranty coverage for some time. The main RL/Legend maintenance thing I have learned to take seriously is the brake fluid. Change it out regularly. I had to replace a ABS unit on one Legend at it was $900.

Parts are not an issue. If you can cross ref with Honda they are cheaper, but Acura dealers are pretty decent to work with. I have also found that aftermarket parts are becoming more plentiful.

I have had no serious mechanical problems with my Legends/RL.
  • Options
    I'm in the commercial insurance business and it reminds me how one top end european manufacturer once (quite recently) lost an entire shipment of a brand new model in the atlantic... no wonder nobody want's to promise a model in their lot on a certain date...

ksso
  • Options
    Damn Pirates. :-)
  • Options
    Wow....it would be interesting to know the number of cars on that shipment ....and which make...(Maybe one of Mark Cincinnatti's Audis was aboard perhaps?)
  • Options
    Actually, I think there was a container ship that sank with numerous Volvos and MBs on it.

A more likely cause for concern would be things like the dock workers strike we had last year.

But I don't think either is a significant concern. Acura is tight with the information because they have always been tight with information. And it has always worked well for them. While I can sympathize with the folks clamoring for hard information, it appears that the Acura strategy of holding out works quite well.
  • Options
    for those of you whom would enjoy in-depth reporting on the technology of the engine and other components of the new RL try this URL
    http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?page_number=1&artic- - le_id=264589
    (You may be required to register first on the vtec.net website before you can view the article...sorry)
  • Options
    If we are to believe that dyno then the RL's engine produces 90% of peak torque from about 2,100 through 6,600 rpms. Of course, a lot can change going from the flywheel to the tires.
  • Options
    dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    A cargo ship carrying 2,862 vehicles from BMW AG, Saab Automobile and Volvo Car sank off the French port of Dunkirk Dec. 17.

The vehicles, including several pre-sold models, are a total loss, published reports say.

The sinking of the Norwegian container ship, Tricolor, happened as a result of a collision between the ship and another container vessel, the Kariba. Both ships were on parallel courses, but one experienced radar problems in heavy fog. The Kariba returned to port but sustained heavy damage.

There were 335 BMW vehicles on board the sunken vessel, all slated to arrive at the Oxnard, CA, port in early to mid-January, reports indicate. The auto maker says it is working with its dealers to identify the intended owners of the affected vehicles, as many of the cars had been pre-sold.

Additionally, 500 Saab vehicles on the ship were destined to arrive at Port Brunswick, GA, on Dec. 26. Most were pre-sold models, although some were part of dealer allocations.

Volvo also is expected to feel some pain from the wreck. The company had 1,800 vehicles on board the ship.

Among them: 350 copies of the new XC90 SUV, all of which were pre-sold. The Volvos were expected to arrive in Newark and in Port Brunswick, GA, in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    Thanks! That’s an impressively broad torque curve.
  • Options
    haha, ok i was avoiding naming any companies.. but that's the one. The XC90 unveiling was on that container ship if i remember...

ksso
  • Options
    ...Of course, a lot can change going from the flywheel to the tires.

Meaning? A little eduction here please Varmint, thanks.
  • Options
    I assume he was pointing at drive train loss. But that would be true in any case.
  • Options
    Yep, I was referring to drive train losses. What you see published in a manufacturer's dyno is often very different from what you get when you put the whole car on the dyno.

Robertsmx is correct about it being true for any automobile. Drive train losses often rob anywhere from 10-20% of the engine's peak output.

But this frequently changes the "shape" of the power curve as well. Take the TSX for example. According to the flywheel measure, the TSX four banger reaches peak torque at 4,500 rpms. But when TOV put the car on a dyno, they found it reaching its at-the-wheels peak at about 2,800.