Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Any good divers on this forum to salvage some brand new water-proof cars?! LOL
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Hmmmmm...was thinking about all that weight...even if they were waterproof! What the hell, musician, the trip over to Dunkirk to make an inspection of the scene could be a gas! (and the inspection would be like watching whale races ;)
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Just got a call from my salesman. He is gonna send me RL brochure today. You may want to check with your salesman if interested.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    I discovered this today… 2005 Acura RL’s SH-AWD has a conceptual predecessor going back to 1991! The Honda FS-X (“FS”: Futuristic Sport) concept…

On The Stage
    On The Road

The AWD system included an early design of the ATTS (later introduced in Prelude) in pretty much the same way that the SH-AWD does. The FS-X system transferred torque front wheels to rear wheels (using AWD system) and side to side on the rear wheels (using ATTS).
  • olneymdolneymd Member Posts: 23
    Just heard from my acura dealer in MD. His GM just gave the sales staff the MSRP for the 05 RL -- $49,470. Don't know if this includes Freight.

Also got my VIN # for a black/parchment RL to be delivered mid-October.

A bit nervous about being a ginea pig with all of the new technology... and not alot of acura techs trained.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    What could possibly go wrong? =D
    Congratulations Dr....you will not be disappointed!
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    >Just got a call from my salesman. He is gonna send me RL brochure today<

I'll believe it when you see it.

;-)
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Based on what I know, from Acura, and what I've read here: $49,470 is NOT considerably or well below $50,000.

On the other hand, the new RL does appear to be of very high value -- but when you are at that price and you aren't BMW or Lexus even, don't you run the risk of (initially, at least) being acused of being just a smidge over-priced?

Looking at a comparably equipped A6, at $51,550 (and this may be a bit unfair since the Audi will only have 255 HP and there is at least some cache [technically] in SH-AWD) I find the hoped for "big difference" in MSRP just has not materialized.

We may argue or debate the merits of each car -- and I will not attempt to resolve this (frankly, despite my Audi bias, the technical pedigree/qualifications of the Acura is/are probably superior), but the "money factor" will certainly be an issue.

It is becoming an issue now less of which one is better rather than which one you like. Most folks think Dark Side of the Moon is the Pink Floyd album they "like" the best, but most of these same folks will also think there are other albums that are "better" musically and technically.

It is equal parts frustrating and fair that I have driven neither the Acura nor the Audi -- so I can say, TODAY, having driven neither: for the same money "~" I'll probably be leaning once again to my comfort zone, Audi.

Now, I still say I will give a fair shake to the Acura RL, the Audi A6 3.2, A4 3.2, and the Chrysler 300C AWD.

My wife swears an Acura TL AWD 6spd manual with DVD-audio and that nifty navigation system would "kill" 'em all.
    Me too! Saw my salesman today..he is back from his RL driving demonstration trip in Chicago ...even if he had the brochures he is not telling me....he indicated in about a week...I can't wait!
    Leaving for Houston soon for 3 weeks. told him I will see and drive the car in person in Houston before I return home to get his promised copy of that d____ brochure!
    Can understand your "Comfort Zone" thing Mark...was amazed at your incredible string of Audi's...to change now would almost be like Brett Favre going to play for the Bears next year...however....stranger things have happened.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    We seek it here
    We seek it there
    We seek that brochure everywhere.
    Is it in heaven
    IS it in hell
    That pamphlet of
    The new RL?

(Apologies to Baroness Emmuska Orczy)
    >Based on what I know, from Acura, and what I've read here: $49,470 is NOT considerably or well below $50,000<

Good point Mark.

I spoke with the sales mananger of a Los Angeles area Acura dealership yesterday and he told me that if I wanted to be among the first to own the RL that I would have to be willing to pay a lot more for it. I suspect that we will see a fair amount of that, given pent up demand.

Perhaps month end November, December or January will reveal the "true" market price of the car. I would certainly think that by March-April 2006, when the new GS and M35/45 are out that Acura will get a run for its money. The shakeout at that time should be very interesting.
    >We seek it here
    We seek it there<

"They seek him here, they seek him there,
    His clothes are loud, but never square.
    It will make or break him so he&#146;s got to buy the best, &#146;cause he&#146;s a dedicated follower of fashion."
    (The Kinks,1960s)

I guess some of us are just dedicated followers of automotive PASSION.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Acura announced at $48,900? That's what vtec.net says, yet to go check the honda news site...
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=285378

i was hoping MSRP just under 48K.... a 1000 bucks really don't matter much at the close to 50K price point, even if you are financing the car, I am glad I put my car buying away by atleast a year...

ksso
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    $48,900 plus $570 destination jives with $49,470 total from above.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    The Basic Controls video on the Interior Showroom now works.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    I don't mind the $49,470. With TTL, it will come in at $52K in my area. What I won't pay is ADM, which I figure will be $4995.

For those who don't have to be "the first," patience is a virtue. Wait a few months for things to cool down a bit. Or, if you can wait a bit longer (a few years), get an off-lease '05 RL. Someone remarked last weekend as the valet brought up my '96 RL: LOOKS ALMOST BRAND-NEW! I just went over 100K on it (bought in 10/00 at 36.8K miles for $20K).
    ADM....???? Don't know what that is Prophet2
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I assume he means "Additional Dealer Mark-up".

For my part, I think $48,900 is a decent price considering that it includes AWD and NAV as standard equipment. It's pretty much what I was expecting.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The grill on that concept looks a bit like the new Audi facade. Overall, the body looks like a pimped-up version of the Legend.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    I really disappointed to see how the RL styling has gone down hill. The car just doesn't have any presence. Tom Elliott, what the heck were you thinking? Are you trying to sway current RL owners to other brands? For that much money, it shouldn't look like an appliance vehicle.

I'll check back in another 5-6 years after this 05 RL has been redesigned. I always thought I would stay with Acura, but with this poor redesign, how do they expect us to purchase one?

It makes me ashamed to own an Acura after seeing the new RL.

Disappointed RL/MDX/NSX/TL owner
    Future Mercedes/Audi/Lexus owner
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >> really disappointed to see how the RL styling has gone down hill. The car just doesn't have any presence. Tom Elliott, what the heck were you thinking? Are you trying to sway current RL owners to other brands? As a RL owner, I really don't care about the 300 hp engine or SH-AWD. For that much money, it shouldn't look like an appliance vehicle. ....how do they expect us to purchase one?<<

I can understand your not "loving" the styling, even though I really like it. However, to reject a car simply because its styling is not what you would hope and not buy a car that from everything we've read is a fantastic car with great features, I just don't understand. Now if it were a truly ugly car (can you say Scion?), it would be different, but I guess to each his/her own.
  • hadhad Member Posts: 32
    Yes sir, just got a call from the dealer that the price will be $49,470 with shipping. Had a 9/21 build date on this car so I expect it in by 10/15?
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    "It makes me ashamed to own an Acura after seeing the new RL."

Like your prolix signature,if Acura-Guilt-By-Association is easily inflicted upon you, then you may want to add a few more digits to ensure your anonymity.
    By all means, rip off the Acura logo and obscure the name on your current drive before a mob assaults you! How can you take personal responsibility for an assemblage of metal, glass and wires, etc? And how does shame enter the equation? This is surely melodrama at its highest.
    Sell your current Acura before you're pelted with stones and driven off the road.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    I had hoped that there would be a more agreeable price. I have casually looked at an S4 to replace my W8 Passat next year, but decided the price was a bit high. However the real price for an S4 V8 will be lower than the RL. It will be interesting to see if the marketplace decides that Acura is repeating the up-market over-reach of Volkswagen.
  • gijoe2gijoe2 Member Posts: 6
    Anyone have information about interior color options? Or exterior?
  • springsacuraspringsacura Member Posts: 1
    I have gotten a peek at the new 2005 RL brochure.

the exterior colors will be:

Premium White Pearl
    Carbon Gray Pearl
    Celestial Silver Metallic
    Lakeshore Silver Metallic
    Nighthawk Black Pearl
    Meteor Silver Metallic
    Opulent Blue Pearl
    Redondo Red Pearl
    Desert Mist Metallic

Interior colors are Ebony, Taupe and Parchment

They are pretty and the car is awesome -- I drove it in Phoenix along with Audi A6, BMW % series -- this car blows them away for less money!
    Dude, I think you are not allowed to solicit here!
    ksso
    However much we refuse, a part of us always buys a car because we want to "show off" the sheet metal... we are all wannabe's in some ways. So i think i respect your opinion that the new RL has really put you off. I promise you however, that having seen all the prototypes or prototypical prototypes of the RL, the M, the 05 A6, they are only different in some respects, but in several others, they all have similar shapes. If you put them on the showroom floor and dimmed the lights really low where you could only see the silhouettes of these 3, they'd appear very similar.

ksso
    Saw the Motor Trend November issue today...excellent story on the RL..('05 Hot Drive pg 48) also the issue contains the first ad I have seen on the RL...a double truck.. stunning "cliffside over the ocean" graphics and well written copy!
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    So, the price is $49.5K. It's a bit pricey IMO. May hurt that there is no "base" model.

You can get a decently optioned 530 (Premium package, auto, xenon) for that price. Of course, it won't have Navi or AWD, but $50k is pretty much uncharted territory for Acura.
  • dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    I may be wrong, but I don't think people will pay $50k for an Acura. In light of recent RL reviews, I have no doubt that the RL is a car worthy of that price, but I'm not sure that it is wise for Acura to go so high. I guess we will just have to wait and see if that was a good move.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    I tend to agree. If the price holds at $50k this surly would send me across the street to Lexus were I can get a LS430 for $4K more. The 04's were being sold for $36K new from March to close out. Is the new version worth $14K more, on an unproven design? Toyota is coming out in Feb with a restyled Avalon with a 275hp engine. To me, it would be a contender, especially with an estimated price in the low $30's. I certainly will test drive the RL with hopes that it blows my socks off.
    When the price on the RL finally firmed up and is within the ballpark of the original predictions I don't understand the nay bird buzz. NOW where are the larger percentage of people on this forum that know the car is definately worth it. IN FACT I for one think it is UNDERPRICED!
    I don't think it is underpriced, but it is not over priced either. This car is loaded with stuff that will take a few options and extra package worth $8-10K "competing models" starting from the base model. But then, base model just makes advertising easier, but in the end, we're talking about luxury sedans.

I'm glad to see Acura is being aggressive. If the car delivers what it promises (based on reviews it appears so), thats all that Acura needs to build a name for itself that it let go over a decade ago.

Penny-pinching is not the game in this class.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Acura might intend to use this new RL to finally contend with the big boys. While the car itself might be worth the virtue and more, it can take some getting used to, as most people regard Acura as a 'value luxury' and $50K is just about to throw value out of the window. The reality is that many who spend $50K on a car want not just a nice car, but also a brand to show off. The latter usually still spells MB, BMW, or Lexus, right or wrong.
    $48,900, is that "well below $50K" as Mr. Elliot said? Hmmm... Can't complain about the $540 destination charge though, since it will come all the way from Japan.

Knowing it is gonna be around $48K, I don't think this is a deal breaker. Just a bit disappointed. The deal for me depends on two factors (1) test drive (2) trade-in value for my '98 BMW 540iA. Well I am sure they would LOVE to have a BMW trade-in to show off...

Brand image of BMW, MB? In CA, that image is eroding. When you pay $50K or more for a car, and it never stops giving you problems and issues, what image are you talking about? I would never buy another BMW again. A company that uses plastic radiator that breaks in 50K miles and refuse to admit fault. I would not pay that company another dime!

Yes, more and more people are buying Lexus (look at their sales number recently?). However, Lexus has a different image than Acura. People who buy Lexus are riders, not drivers. TLs got people excited about Acura. RL would elevate that excitement to a new height. I am sure Acura would pull many BMW-ers like myself back to Acura. Burned me once, shame on BMW. Burn me twice? No way.

Yes, I wish RL come with V8, but I can live with a V6 if it proves powerful on the test-drive. I would be among the first to test drive an RL. I certainly will post my impression from the perspective of a 540iA owner.

BTW, how to get a LS430 for $54K? I thought the MSRP starts at $56K bare-bone. You could load it up to $65K and beyond. Am I even close? Sorry, not a big fan of Lexus.
    MotorWeek Car Of The Month

I'm going to! At 3.30 pm (if you're in Dallas area)
    You've got to start changing the perception. Lexus did it, and gradually climbed upwards. Acura did too, but messed up in the mid-90s. Now, back again.

However, I've started to put Acura above the rest, simply because it is delivering the car as a luxury car should be... loaded.
    Perception of Acura as a lesser to MB/BMW/Lexus is not so much due to its cars. It makes good cars. It's the origin and lineup. Acura started out with Integra before they came out with Legend. Integra was not a luxy at all. Even now it still has RSX which is no luxy either. You don't see Lexus doing that. Acura is sending mixed signal and on this high $$ segment, image means a lot which does not tolerate mixed signal too well. At about $50K I know many will be opt to get a 530i or E320 with lesser contents than RL, simply because well, it's a different logo.

I'd suggest Acura dumping RSX (or move it to Honda), and offer a two door version of TSX. That will make its lineup cleaner with less confusion. That said, I may be sad to see Acura not there for those who care more about the virtue for cars for the $$ than they do about status symbol.
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    (...) Acura started out with Integra before they came out with Legend(...)

I beg to differ my brother - Acura's debut was made with the Legend!
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    When I stepped into the showroom when Acura first opened their doors on April 1, 1986, they had both the Legend and Integra on the floor. The emphasis, however, was on the Legend. It was no April Fool's joke. 2-1/2 weeks later, we made the deal - I left my trouble-prone '78 BMW 320i (121K on the clock) there and drove off in a new silver Legend 5-speed MT. I've had at least one Acura in my garage ever since.

The way I see it, the RSX serves the role of a "two-door TSX" in the line-up. Sales-wise, the CL as a two-door version of the TL was a bust and was dropped, the same as the Legend coupe after an intial boom. Two-doors seem to sell well in the "lower line" - my daughter's dream cars were the Integra LS Special Edition and now the RSX she drives. She would dispute the notion that her RSX is not "luxury."
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    In addition to solicitation he did not respond to the premise of a lower price for the Audi S4. Out-the-door prices are what count. Even though the interior room of the new RL will be A6-size, the six cylinder won't come close to the S4's Audi V8 in performance. Bigger size is NOT better. Parking and turning circle are very important. Take it from a past owner of many Audi models: The RL may well be much more reliable, but it must compete with equal priced cars like the S4.
    If bigger is not better, what is the point of Audi A6? And, Audi A6/4.2 is going to start at $52K. And Audi A6/3.2 with "the works" is likely to be about the same as RL.

Between RL and A6 (or any other competing car), it will ultimately boil down to better engine, better dynamics, feature content/appointment, and not to be ignored, a perception (or not) of quality and reliability.
    I agree with you on RSX. Not that I want to see it moved to Honda lineup, but that it should really be a TSX Coupe, and preferably with SH-AWD.

But as far as badge perception goes, Legend was the car that came out to represent Acura. Integra was added to satisfy dealers who wanted a volume seller. And now, Acura doesn't rely on RSX for volume, much like Lexus (ES330 and RX330), Acura TL and MDX are getting that job done. This proves that Acura has managed to climb to rely on a price class that can be considered meat of the luxury class.

Even with BMW, if you notice, chunk of its sales comes from 325i. In case of 5-series, it is 525 and 530 (almost evenly split between the two engine choices).

As far as people choosing to ignore RL simply based on badge preference, it is really their problem. But then, they may never know what they're missing. That said, I'm sure Acura will muster enough buyers to meet or beat its sales target. In the end, that is all to count.
    Thanks for guys pointing out the correct timing of Legend vs. Integra. I guess when I visited Acura dealers the first time I shopped for a car (early 90'), I saw more Integra at the time and Legend was not that luxurious as the later versions that came out in mid 90'. Since then Acura has been always struck to me as somewhere between Honda/Toyota and a true luxury brand. Had they expanded from Legend and up it'd been a Lexus already before Lexus became Lexus of Today.

$50K cars are not gonna be sold as many as sub $40K ones, no matter which brand from this bunch it is. The point is that $50K car is a very different segment from the near-luxury one where image perception matters a lot less. If the new RL is just as good as 530i or E320 for the same price, guess which will be picked more often? It will take a much better RL to offset the image gap. Maybe the new RL can do it and I am sure Acura intends so. The last RL did not cut it, in fact, it's not even close. The last TL and the MDX put up good #'s but they have to be priced less than their counterparts of Lexus to get it done. The new TL does finally compete very well, even price wise, in its class. Maybe Acura finally got it right and that the new RL can mean show time!
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    For about 6 months the MSRP should have been $46,900. The price TODAY is too close, to the the German and other Japanese competition. The fact that it also has a 6 cylinder, despite its horsepower rating is for a time not the big deal it probably will become next spring.

A few test reports will go far to launch this thing.

I am the guy who, to this day, things the VW Passat W8 should have "flown" off the showroom floor. And, I, to this day, think the Pheaton is a bargain, relatively, especially with the deeply discounted lease deals that are widely avail and locally publicized. If you are going to spend that much money (MSRP) you probably need a few more accolades.

Hey, I think the STS is overpriced, at this point, too.

The Chrylser 300C AWD loaded to the max will be about $10K less than the Acura. And according to CEO magazine, not that that, per se, should change your mind, the 300C is THE car below $50K.

I, for one, am about 5% disappointed in this pricing scheme. The car, probably, IS the value some of us think. But give it 6 months, for Pete's sake, to be fawned over by the automotive press and the BLOGS we all, probably, participate or lurk in.

Color me still thinking the A6 is looking a lot better than it did 30 days ago.

Of course, here in River City, there are plenty of 2004 Phaetons for LEASE at a number than begins with a "5" AND includes all maintence for 50K and no worries about depreciation since the lease is "closed end."
    Several points to make here

Accessory:
    - Deck lid spoiler
    - Under-body spoiler
    - 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
    - Wood-grain steering wheel
    - Trunk tray
    - Wheel locks
    - Backup sensors
    - Door visors
    - All-season floor mats
    - Moonroof visor
    - Nose mask
    - Wood gearshift knob
    - Cargo net
    - Gold emblems
    - Car cover

I'm disappointed that there is no backview camera. I guess sensors would do for now..
    No surprises in color combinations. As expected, parchment is more orange-ish while the taupe is more gray-ish.

In one paragraph, the brochure mentions about the lateral g of RL... and I quote,
    "during our skidpad tests, the RL put up a remarkable 0.89g of lateral force. By comparison, the Acura NSX - our renowned 2-seat sports exotic - has generated 0.90g in our skidpad tests..." Wow, that is amazing... can't wait for the test-drive.

At a footnote, it mentions that "Gasoline with octane number lower than 91 may be used, with reduced performance." That is good to know just in case there is no choice.

The brochure only shows photos of the following exterior colors
    - Celestial silver metallic (pure silver)
    - Lakeshore silver metallic (grayish silver)
    - Meteor silver metallic (greenish silver)
    - (very small) Redondo red metallic (red)
    and black interior.

OK, that is all I have found that may be of interest to you.