Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    First, RL is about 400 lb heavier than TL (not 800 lb) and has enough additional power and torque (at both ends and in the mid range) to counter the weight gain. So, the power to weight ratio is almost identical.

Second, you’re correct that a larger displacement V8 will generally give you better low end power, but it comes with a cost. I have seen too many people compare RL to V8 competition primarily based on RL’s MSRP (which happens to be “topped out”) to base price of V8 (far from being “topped out”).

For sake of comparison, in advertisements it might sound nice and dandy to see Acura RL at $48.9K being closer to base price of Audi A6/4.2 at $51K than to $40K of the Audi A6/3.2. But after a reality check, you have to wonder about what would put the MSRP on Audi A6/3.2 to $51K if you build it to have similar gadgetry like xenons, moonroof, heated seats, homelink, premium audio system etc. Now, if a typical luxury car buyer wants a car without these features Acura’s completely loaded offering would make little sense.

In this class, I would prefer to have at least those features that can be found in cars priced much less ($30K-35K), and then some. Stripped luxury sedan do not make sense to me.

Revisiting torque, RL has plenty of it. It may not “tell you about it” by being “rude”, but it is there. For that matter, Audi A6/3.2 is listed to have a curb weight of 3960 lb. with only 255 HP/243 lb.-ft to carry it (the V8 is listed at 4150 lb.). The same goes for Cadillac STS/V6 (3960 lb). And remember, RL’s curb weight is… fully loaded. Features can add a good few pounds as well.
  • hadhad Member Posts: 32
    I will let you know on the White when I get it any day (hope not weeks). I am in Arkansas and it's laid back too! Seems no one can track the 50K asset
    in their tracking system. Somewhere between here and San Diego, that's all I know!

On the 2 test drive 20-30 minutes I never figured out how to turn off the GPS system.

XM Radio is great.

Back head rest does not go up but only down. Manual up.

Great looking from the back.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    After test driving the RL, as a momentary afterthought I sat in the passenger seat for about 15 seconds. It seemed low, flat, hard, and uncomfortable. Now I wish I had spent more time confirming initial impressions.

To buyers or those who have test driven the car: your impressions?
  • heel2toeheel2toe Member Posts: 149
    Pretty good information has it that Verizon Wireless had Motorola disable aspects of the 710's Bluetooth operation because functions like file transfer would allow users to move pictures off the phone without paying the optional service fees. There may or may not be a fix coming that would reenable the missing functions, but until then there will be issues between the Verizon Wireless 710 and *any* Bluetooth-enabled car, not just the Acuras.

John
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    Please comment on whether your dealer's price for the '05 RL is the same as mine or higher or lower. I was quoted a price of $49,699 including wheel locks plus $395.00 for dealer preparation for a total of $50,094.00 PLUS tax and state document fees. Is this consistent with your experience? Did your dealer charge the dealer preparation fee -- which seems like overkill to me? Thanks for your replies.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    >I was quoted a price of $49,699 including wheel locks plus $395.00 for dealer preparation for a total of $50,094.00 PLUS tax and state document fees ... did your dealer charge the dealer preparation fee -- which seems like overkill to me?<

Dealer prep is a rip-off fee. Prepping the car after it comes off the truck (and the boat) is part of the dealer's job and that cost is already factored into their profits.

Personally, I would never pay that, unless for some reason I absolutely had to have the car right then and there, and even under those circumstances I would call around and find another dealer within 50-75 miles who would sell me the car without that ridiculous add-on fee.

I would not pay advertising fees either.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    White with parchment (beige)interior is probably my choice. Saw one at a dealer yesterday. It was an overcast day and the white did not appear to have the rich pearlescent look that I've seen in previous RLs. Probably the weather.

My only comment is I wish the car was a little larger esp in trunk and rear seat. Equivalent to 2004 RLs would be sufficient. I like it yet I think I will wait for prices to settle down.

It doesn't make that much difference to me if I get a car when they are first released. My expectations were pretty high for this car.
  • dogface5dogface5 Member Posts: 87
    I finally had a chance to test drive the RL.

Here are my brief opinions:

Exterior: Conservative. Looks better than the 5 but not as nice as E.

Interior: Very Good, as good as Lexus

Technology: 5.1DVDA is better than ML in my Lexus
    Navigation is one of the best in industry. Keyless entry and memory settings work well together.

Performance: Not as fast as I would have hoped but faster than 530i, E320. That being said, SH-AWD is awesome if pushed to the limits.
  • clarkfraserclarkfraser Member Posts: 3
    I have an almost pristine 99 RL with 52K miles since new. I decided last year as the original warranty expired to buy the extended Acura one @ $1K for 4 more years, since I saw no reason the buy a new car. (That is until last weekend when I saw the new '05 RL... But at $50K, well, my cash investment 5 years ago looks better than ever.)

The one flaw is where my left elbow rests when driving. At first a small indent in the vinyl appeared as repeated pressure from my elbow flexed the underlying foam padding. Now it's developed into a 3/4" flowered crack in the vinyl and a deeper indent in the foam. I want to replace the panel (it requires the ENTIRE) inside panel to be replaced, not just the top portion) but new it's something like $450. Wow! Any suggestions on specialty import wrecker yard databases out there I might try? (Vinyl repair placed estimated a $150. repair...)
  • courtney11courtney11 Member Posts: 77
    If you read the sticker carefully all prep is paid for by Acura and included in the price. It is in the small print. The dealer is just making additional mark-up.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>Does anyone know the price of the extended warranty? Either the 7/75 or the 7/100?

The price for the 7/75 was $12xx and the price for the 7/100 was $15xx. Not sure the exact dollars but those prices are within about $50.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    In my experience -- at the tender young age of 53 -- most sales representatives do keep their promises and most, even when they don't, did not intend to break them. I know there used to be some jokes asking the question "how can you tell a FILL IN THE BLANK (lawyer, politician, sales rep, etc) is lying?" -- of course the answer is "when their lips are moving."

I do not sell cars for a living, I employ two sales people (they do not sell cars either) -- but my most truthful answer to the question "when was the last time a salesrep [sic] kept his/her promise?" was the last time I spoke with one.

The rep sees a car come in, sees the sticker and sees the "accessories" without notation that they are accessories. The dealer or the manufacturer perhaps did not fully explain the situation to the actual rep and he/she probably figured "this is the way they come."

I can think of no reason that the rep would deliberately want to set expectations incorrectly -- I suspect it was a mistake.

Like I keep reading here and all over edmunds, we "customers" seem -- often -- to know more about the products than those who represent them.

I don't know whom to fault -- so I will fall back on the "marketing department" of the car companies themselves. My Acura dealer owns an Audi dealer (and some others, too) and it seems that these two dealerships quite regularly have product education; for instance, there were at least two days worth of training on the new A6 -- my long time rep said his last four hours was to explore the nuances of the voice activiation and smart key features (of the Audi, in this example).

My Acura sales rep seems to know EVERYTHING there is to know about Acura's AND Volvos? As far as I know, this dealership has no Volvo affiliation, but this guy thinks that his A#1 competition for Acura is Volvo (I, for one, think the Acura and the Audi are the real rivals).

During the past three years of a soft economy I have come to believe more and more than the sales reps (in whatever industry) are the key to moving the economy forward, for "nothing happens, nothing is made, there is no commerce until something is sold!")

My request, then, is to stop picking on those guys who help me meet my paycheck, and, I suspect, yours.

On the pure Acura subject, what exactly is the issue with the "engine" sound in the new RL (or noise as I think I saw it called)?
  • bobb1bobb1 Member Posts: 22
    Also did the passenger side try out and found it ok, was concerned about my wife who just broke her leg - it will work out. Ordered my Red on last week from stock coming into dealer but not here till 3rd of Nov... Ugh....
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    We don't get to even preview an RL until Nov.1. And that's by invitation only.
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    >The price for the 7/75 was $12xx and the price for the 7/100 was $15xx. Not sure the exact dollars but those prices are within about $50.<

Those prices are subject to haggling -- I mean, negotiation.
  • akuo1akuo1 Member Posts: 5
    For about the same money $49K, you can get the M45 with journey option or A6 3.2 with more options. Depend on what you really want and whether having all the goodies in RL is important for you. For now and for me, the M45 seems attractive if I can let go the add-ons. Will test the A6 when it's available.

BTW, the sales hype for RL is there but not as crazy as the MDX 4 years ago. When we got our MDX (the first shipment), we were forced to buy accessaries plus the markup.
    To get as much stuff as RL in an Audi A6/3.2 (I just built it), you pay $51K.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    Audi will likely negotiate vs no negotiations for the RL.....resulting in the same price. IMHO. I believe the fit and finish in the A6 will be equal if not better than the RL. As for reliability, the A6 is questionable...hit or miss.
    Any vehicle that has harder time moving off the lot will be easier to negotiate versus one that is not. If MSRP holds up for RL in the longer term, it would be a win-win situation for Acura.
  • low_ball_88low_ball_88 Member Posts: 171
    I've felt that if you do not absolutely have to have the car, you should wait after the car to cool off and get it below MSRP.

Like to know from those who bought, say the MDX when it first came out, if it was worth the price paid. I believe you could get some good discounts now for the MDX.

One needs to have patience when buying a hot new car. Treating it like any investment, do not buy high and sell low. At $50K+...it is an investment.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I agree with the statements about the discounting by Audi and all the rest -- the Audi will, however, come with all maintenance "built in" -- in essence the Audi has no aftermarket service costs for 50K miles other than perhaps a set of tires.

This does not suggest the Audi will have better reliability. However, let us hope that the new A6 will be "the best" Audi in this regard ever.

My Acura dealer has no RL's that can be test driven yet and the Audi dealer (owner by the same group) only has the A6 4.2.

For once, my lease is working for me, rather than against me.

So, of the cars I want to apples to apples (well, sort of) compare, I can drive NOT ONE of them.

Waiting for the A6 3.2, the RL and the 300C AWD (and heck, by the time all these things settle down, I'll even look at the S-Line A4 3.2).

'Tis a wonderful time to be shopping for cars, it is!
  • akuo1akuo1 Member Posts: 5
    As for MDX, even now we feel it was well worth the price when comparing to today's similar SUVs. We had to buy at that time anyway.

In considering RL/A6/M/GS/5/E..., we do have the advantage to wait, so let's see how the market develops for each model.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    If the RL and A6 may both be described as being superbly "fit and finished," it will be hard to crown a winner. Preference, then, will be based upon neither fit nor finish but upon the "thumpety-thump" factor! Which car hit the retina and remained there longer than eight seconds!
    I'm pushing eighty and am about to take delivery of my third Legend/RL, the three of which were preceded by three Accords (and three Honda bikes). My Lakeshore Silver should be in by mid November.
    I, too, had the impression that the demo RL didn't come off the line as crisply as I had hoped, but it may have been my flawed expectation of what 300 horses would do when I stepped down. I found the RL to be husky looking and executed beyond criticism. The specs of both the trunk and rear leg room are academic. I will admit, however, that you younger fellers will apply more stringent standards than I when evaluating the RL.

Just a postscript: The love of women and the love of cars aren't dampened by age. I still subscribe to four car mags and bemoan my idle tool box, laden with timing lights and dwell meters, now put out to pasture.

Too bad that the Bluetooth phones aren't enabled.
    I'll simply transfer my hard-wired Verizon Motorola cell phone to the new RL.

Thank you all for the stimulating postings.
    Drive safe(ly)!

George, a/k/a Acuraphile
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    Great post George! Likewise I had a toolbox full of dwell meters and timing lights and I sold them on all eBay.

Keep us informed on the new RL. I've driven one and really like it, but as I've stated previously I wish it was just a little larger. Hey nothing is perfect.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Yeah George (Acuraphile) To me...dwell meters and timing lights today sound like Al McGuire's "Seashells and Balloons" because that's the time frame (1977) I crawled out from under my '75 Olds Cutlass with grease on my nose and skinned knuckles for the last time. Thank God for sophisticated computer chips and 100,000 miles between tuneups...you have a championship car in that new RL!
    Surrfurtom...What cars are you looking at for more room?
  • bobb1bobb1 Member Posts: 22
    K:
    Would be delighted to help you out but my Redondo Red with Parchment will not arrive till 3rd week of Nov. I will joining the sedan board when I get it and have a few trips planned so Hopefully I can add some value to that board. Also I will be doing the bluetooth and onstar phones so I shold have a lot of experiences to speak about. If you want further contact outside of the board you may e-mail me at bobb@mchc.com
  • bparrbparr Member Posts: 2
    Enjoyed reading your notes, sounds like you enjoy cars the way they're meant to be.

I've bought an RL to be delivered in a few weeks. Traded in a BMW 530i which is a beautiful car, hoping I won't miss my manual transmission. Was literally blown away by the test drives I've taken. The 530i has a great combination of ride and handling, I truly did not expect to match it.

Wrong. The RL has a well damped ride that's a pleasure, and at the same time it can turn into a tiger tracking bends and corners. You're right, it doesn't seem so fast off the line, but it may be deceptive, it never seems to strain. Won't know till it's mine and broken in but will let you know.

The paddles for gear changing are prompt and it's easy to downshift before a corner, something few automatics do well.

In the meantime I can hardly wait

Bob alias a car fanatic
  • gospelgrassergospelgrasser Member Posts: 1
    Robert, everything I read says the RL will be priced under $50K in the US market. Canadians like me have more reason to hold off as the price North of the border is slated to be almost Cdn $70,000, a premium of $10,000 at current rates of exchange!
  • gijoe2gijoe2 Member Posts: 6
    but I bought the A6. I think the RL is priced aggressively, obviously wants to compete with the midsized german cars. I liked the RL a lot for all the reasons above, but the looks, handling, hushed ride, and superior interior finish on the A6 pushed me that direction. Since it is the same amount of money, be sure you check out the competition before you buy. Now I hope the A6 will be as reliable. That's where Lexus and Acura have the edge.
  • liyliy Member Posts: 47
    And, if the 3.2, were you able to drive it before you bought it?

LIY
  • callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    An Audi with better handling/fit and finish than a top Acura? That's got to be a first!

DrFill
  • mozgifixmozgifix Member Posts: 6
    Drove 2005 RL today - NW suburbs of Chicago. They have them, 50K and it's yours.
    Have couple questions:
    What is 0 to 60 number?
    Second it's missing autodimming mirrors and 'cool ventilated seats' . Will it be available in near future?
    Regrds,
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    You can price out the A6 at audiusa.com now. A similarly equipped A6 3.2 is about the same price as the RL. Of course, you don't get "SH", but the A6 also has a few knick-knacks that the RL doesn't. Twelve-way power passenger seat for one.

Anyway, looks like $50,000 is the sweet spot for fully-loaded V6 vehicles in this class (RL, STS, A6 so far), except the 530i ($55,000 and no AWD) and the E320 AWD ($59,000), which always carry a premium.

I expect similarly loaded M35's and GS300's to run about $50,000 as well.
  • 9482494824 Member Posts: 8
    Is there a performsnce advantage to the 18" wheels? If so, what is it? Also, has anyone seen the RL in the celestial silver? How does it look?I have seen the white with parchment, and black with ebony, and both were attractive.

Thanks
  • mozgifixmozgifix Member Posts: 6
    Drove 2005 RL today - NW suburbs of Chicago. They have them, 50K and it's yours.
    Have couple questions:
    What is 0 to 60 number?
    Second it's missing autodimming mirrors and 'cool ventilated seats' . Will it be available in near future?
    Regrds,
  • sacguysacguy Member Posts: 27
    I was only looking at the RL until I saw posts like yours, then decided to check out the Audi.
    (never considered an Audi before, I own a 2002 BMW 530i, but do not really care for the new 2005 BMW 5 series). I Have not driven or seen either RL or A6 live,in person......but am now split but leaning towards the Audi because of its great exterior looks, the interior in the photos looks a little dated compared to the RL, what is your impression of both in person and how different is the ride, quietness and handling?? I too am a little worried about the reliability of the Audi, but I noticed it has free scheduled maintenance. Also, what options did you purchase and did you test both the 3.2 V6 and the V8 Audi?
  • bparrbparr Member Posts: 2
    Haven't driven the Audi....but one thing is for sure. Acura has always had a sterling reputation for reliability and Audi hasn't. Just check the consumer reports.

Quiet...nothing will beat the RL because it has noise cancelling built into the audio system. You can talk in a normal voice at 90 mph with a passenger.

The ride is great, well damped, not too hard or too soft. Totally comfortable, but at the same time the performance is REALLY there.

And last but not least, there's so much built into this car you'll have to read the manual a few times to realize it. Example, the rear head rests retract to give better rear vision. A sunshade on the rear window. The total is really surprising. And here in Canada it also has free scheduled maintenance.

I find it hard to believe that anyone wouldn't lust after the RL once driving it...but that's what makes the world go round, different tastes.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    I'm surprised no one is comparing the RL to the Volvo S60R. The Volvo has 300 HP. slightly more torque (295 ft/lbs), 0-60 in 5.5 sec. (manual), 6.5 sec (auto), advanced AWD + continuously active chassis, Brembo brakes, 6 speed manual or 5 speed manumatic, three instantly changeable suspension settings, 325 watt Dolby Pro-Logic surround sound, 18" wheels, fantastic sport seats, split folding rear seat, 14 cu. ft., $37K-45K.

The RL has a few features that the Volvo doesn't (like BlueTooth), so personal preferences may influence you there. Anyway, I thought I'd mention it because many would consider it quite a bargain in sport/luxury sedans. And there's a wagon version also, but I doubt anyone here is looking for a wagon.
    TL/SH-AWD, whenever that happens, should compete with S60R. RL isn't designed to be a "sport seda" (although it probably has the abilities without resorting to stiff springs and low profile rubber.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    I saw my first 05 RL on Friday at the local Huntsville Alabama Acura Dealership (Damson Acura). The RL is a great looking car. They only had one left from their initial shipment; it was White and it really looked sharp.

Interested in seeing some of the other colors but I think the White exterior with the Ebony interior will be fantastic.

Based on the discussion board, I am disappointed that the seats are not cooled in the U.S.

I think ACURA may have a winner!!!
    Thats why Smart Money's pointing out at pricing tactics involved in Cadillac and Audi is quite interesting. A lower base price provides for a perception of better pricing, even though in the end the car ends up costing much more.

I suspect the same will continue with Infiniti and if Lexus continues to do the same that it did with GS300, I anticipate a $41K starting MSRP as well, even if it means cloth trimmed seats (as is true today).
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    I understand this discussion is going to end around 1 Nov because the 05 RL will no longer be a "Future Car"...but...I still wish you would create separate discussions for the different generations of models. I believe the 05 is the 4th generation RL/Legend.

Each generation is different so the discussions should be separate and then if you wanted to know about the history of the model you could check the boards for the other generations.

Please at least think about this....

Thanks.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Depends on the car. For some vehicles, you'll see better handling with larger rims. In others, it doesn't make a difference.

Larger rims with a tire that has the same overall diameter are going to have a shorter, stiffer sidewall. That's good for handling, not so good for ride quality.

On the other hand, larger rims also weigh more than the smaller ones (even with less rubber on the tire). That adds to the unsprung weight the suspension must handle in order to do its job.
  • drjmakdrjmak Member Posts: 19
    2500 down 779 a month for 42 months and 15K . This must be because of the poor Resid value of old RL. Comes out to over 35K for a 50K car. My friend just got a MB E500 for 750 a month nothing down.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    I agree..not a very good deal.. But, that is just one quote from one dealer.

I'm betting the residual value is fine.. What is probably driving that payment up, is a selling price of MSRP. No one has residuals strong enough to make up for that.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    On the other hand, larger rims also weigh more than the smaller ones (even with less rubber on the tire). That adds to the unsprung weight the suspension must handle in order to do its job.

Not always true. I would think that weight at the outer edges of a circle (lighter rims + large heavy tire) has a worser effect on rotational inertia than weight closer to the center of the circle (heavy rims + less heavy rubber), everything else being equal.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    RL = "Revised Legend." Why not? The RL in Japan is sold as a HONDA LEGEND.

"Free" maintenance? Don't kid yourselves, there's no "free lunch" here. It's already paid for in the price of the car. The dealer will make out for the inevitable numbers of people who don't bring the cars in for regular service.

Our Acura dealer once had a pre-paid maintenance plan sold in the F&I along with pro-pack, credit life, and extended warranty. There were two big problems which led to the cessation of this. One, they limited this to the earlier of three years, 36K miles while the mainenance schedule was three years, 45K miles (every 7500 miles). Naturally, unless came in every six months/6000 miles, they'd get cheated out of the 37.5K and 45K services. A lot of complaints were filed. Secondly, a lot of big bonuses were paid out for the sale of this pre-paid plan and not enough $$$ were set aside in a reserve fund to pay for the services. The costs then were charged the current balance sheet.

Needless to say, a lot of customer discontent.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    "Also, has anyone seen the RL in the celestial silver? How does it look?"

It's the brightest silver you've ever seen, very shiny and highly metallic. It doesn't have any grey or aluminum undertone like the regular silver. I like it so much!
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    >TL/SH-AWD, whenever that happens, should compete with S60R.

The TL is a great car, but I think Acura would have to make quite a few changes for it to compete well with the S60R. The RL and the S60R are very similar in specifications.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Interesting timing on your response to Celestial Silver. We are giving it more consideration. That silver is everywhere in print and computer pictures ,,,but we have not seen it in person yet. Will have to before we finalize our decision to order. (White was our first preference but we havn't seen that yet either)
    Drove a the Dark Blue demo yesterday and fell in love with the car. Funny tho' , the previous driver had the navigation set for a destination opposite from where we were going and the verbal commands were driving me nuts. It took a couple minutes to figure out how to redirect the Navi as we drove out of traffic.