Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• shawn3shawn3 Member Posts: 8
    I took delivery of mine on Oct 19th, and the car now has just under 1700 miles on it. It is flawless. No "lock-up" or any other issues beyond an optically distorted driver's outside mirror, which the dealer is replacing when I take it in for the first oil change.

The oil % went from 90 to 80 at about 1450 miles :)

Get one, you will not be disappointed.

Peace.
  • boston1boston1 Member Posts: 8
    I'm having trouble with my XM TrafficNav not working. I am able to get it working again occassionally by using the "display traffic" voice command.

Other than that, i love this car. i had an Audi A6 and this car is absolutely flawless. The Nav system is outstanding, controls for audio and ac easy to access. The ride is extremely quiet and I don't think I will ever be able to drive without XM again.

Buy this car if you're in the market!
  • olneymdolneymd Member Posts: 23
    Have you checked to make sure the the Traffic Icon hasn't been turned off ? I inadvertently selected the "All Icons Off" choice, not realizing that it would turn the NavTraffic off. Give that a try.

Also - this is the greatest car. I've had 3 Audis, 2 Mercedes, and this tops any of those cars... not to mention the outstanding service i get from my local MD Acura dealer.
    Thanks olneymd for the advice. When my TrafficNav is not working, the icon is blacked out. I can not turn if off or on.

I have been able to use the voice command to get it on.

I would agree that it's the best car I've ever had.
  • algoodmanalgoodman Member Posts: 21
    How do you use the key to start the car? The owners manual is unclear where to access the ignition switch with the key. The dealer said that you couldn't use the key to start the car.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>How do you use the key to start the car? The owners manual is unclear where to access the ignition switch with the key. The dealer said that you couldn't use the key to start the car.

The switch you normally use to start the car comes off and the key fits in the slot.
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    I have seen posts on another forum about problems with the rear differential... These could be rare instances....but they are worrysome.

It would be good for Acura to post something acknowledging or denying existence of a problem....and it's been a problem -- the frequency of occurrence as indicated by their service records.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    The NavTraffic and Acuralink did not work at all initially in my RL (although the XM radio reception was/is great). The dealership found a loose connection at the XM box which is located inside the trunk. After tightening it, both Acuralink and NavTraffic began to function but only sporadically as only every other time I used the car would it work properly.

The solution has been to remove and replace the XM box with a new one and so far so good. If you continue to have problems with NavTraffic and/or Acuralink, and have all the icon settings correct, then it might be the XM box in the trunk. Apparently the XM box receives the radio signals and separately receives/sends the Acuralink/NavTraffic signals so that one can function correctly but the other not.

Other than that, the RL is flawless and I love the Lakeshore/Taupe combination. Its the closest color combination to my Sterling Gray 03 BMW 530 which I traded in without hesitation for the new RL (not that I didn't love the 530). For those who are about to buy, I strongly suggest adding the rear spoiler into your purchase package as it really adds to the rear end appearance. Its very low profile and discrete and a nice cosmetic addition.
  • stevenr27stevenr27 Member Posts: 9
    Olney and Boston -

As a current owner of an A6 (and a Boxster for pure fun), I am having trouble deciding between the new RL and the new A6. Did either of you test drive the '05 A6 before buying the RL and what led you to the decision to go with the RL? I feel like the Audi styling is better, with a more sports tuned ride, but it's very close and the Acura NAV and overall interior is better than the Audi. Any input and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
  • proeproe Member Posts: 157
    Now with the estimated $5,500 upgrade option, RL's handling will be better. My guess is with lowered suspension by 10mm and with 18" rim and performance tires, RL should be able to pull at least 0.9g and I will not be surprised if it pulls 0.95g.

And, that is way better than Audi A6 4.2's 0.83g, which is disappointing as Honda Accord EX Couple pulls 0.82g.

I was going for A6 4.2 for its better performance and handling, better look and better interior finish until I saw C/D's review, I think Audi has finally lost its touch on handling edge.
    stevenr27

I test drove an Audi A6 before I bought the RL. I agree with you on the exterior styling. I don't find the front end of the RL to be that attractive, and I really liked the new A6 front end. The Audi also had more seating in the back seats, and a huge trunk.

I just turned in an A6 on a lease and had one small problem after another for 3 years. I would never own an Audi. I would drive it till the 50K miles is up and then trade it in.

I bought the RL for the following reasons:
    1. Much superior dash-ability to get to the radio, AC directly from buttons on the dash, not just through the controller.
    2. Audi 6 disk changer was in the glove compartment.
    3. RL Nav system far superior. Voice recognition on Audi only turns it on if I remember correctly. The Nav system on the RL is unbelievable. I've used it three times in the past two days. It's easy to enter a location vocally while on the road. My wife is techno phobic and she asked to "find nearest grocery store" the other day while on a road trip with my daughter. It worked great for her. Incidentally, my wife never like the Audi but loves the RL. Everythiing on the dash is easy to understand vs Audi. I also used the NavTraffic the other day. Traffic was backed up and I choose another route.
    4. I prefer the interior on the RL
    5. Satellite radio extra on A6
    6. Drive on the A6 felt stiff to me. I know Audi's have been criticized for not having enough road feel so suspension was tightened up. I'm not an "enthusiast". I drive to work & back @ about 75mph. Rarely push the car and the fact that it doesn't do 0-60 in less than 6.8 seconds is not important to me. I wonder how many of those obsessing about the low end torque ever use it.
    7. Really liked the Lakeshore Silver color with taupe interior.

This is the best car I have ever owned.
  • gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    There are reported problems with the AWD lockng up. If you go to the Acuraworld.com RL, 3rd Gen forums, there is a thread on the issue. According to the thread, Acura has issued a TSB (technical service bulletin?) for dealers to check the fluid levels in the differential. A couple of RL purchasers report the transmission needed replacing in their RLs.

On a separate topic, is any one willing to report any the terms of lease deals they have signed up for? Not much being reported in the pricing forum for the RLs.

Thanks.
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Gator is correct...for clarification I did head over to Acuraworld and you go to 2nd gen forum (not 3rd, doesn't exist at least not yet) and the title of the thread is "Saw 05RL on lift today at dealer service".

That will take you thru some postings re: SH AWD locking...some are referring to the tranny problems on the TLs that had occurred....interesting and something to be aware of.

Not sure why people would post complaints if they weren't valid. Also I didn't see where the TSB reference was but it's kind of late and I'm tired...
    My lease came out to:

MSRP $49,470
    Bank fee $595
    42 month lease
    Residual 51%, $24,179
    Money factor .00255
    18K miles
    $789/mo. Xtra miles from 15K were $25 per mo
    Out of pocket-first mo payment & fees

I have seen .00255 quoted on other posts. I believe money factor equals 6.12% interest. I compared purchasing the car with 10K down & I owed the same amount at the end of 42 mos.

Good hunting!
  • liyliy Member Posts: 47
    Based on the postings in that forum, it appears that the "lock-up" issue is ascribed (by Acura) to "low fluids in two areas of the differential." I guess this deserves some follow up.
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    After reading about SH-SWD problem on this forum and the Acuraworld forum, I called the Acura Company's customer service number (800 382-2238 select option 3) yesterday to ask about the problem. I received a call back from a fellow from the technical service department who acknowledged that 'yes' there has been a problem with a FEW of the 05RLs 'rear differential' due to an occassional failure at the factory to properly fill the rear differential with sufficient fluid. Dealers were asked to rectify this problem by checking these fluid levels and further, that new vehicles are being checked now even before they arrive at the dealer. Thus, the problem does not seem to be a major glitch with the design of the differential system and I continue to look forward to the arrival of our 05RL. If others of you have different or additional information about this problem or others, please don't hesitate to inform the rest of us.

It is easy to register with this forum and as promised, I have not received a single piece of junk e-mail attributed to this forum since joining. To the contrary, I have learned about other people's experiences regarding something I am very interested in learning about.
  • readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    Gator,

48 Mos at 12k/yr
    $3375 down
    (includes first month, fees and taxes @ 6%)
    $675/mo including tax
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    I was interested in the 18" wheels and Michelin sport tires until I talked to my salesman (whom has been with Acura for many years) His first indication was that the ride would be a little rougher) That was enough for me.
    Thanks for posting this in both forums Larry, this post (and dtrose at the other forum which indicates he got the same info from his service dep't) makes me feel much better about liking the prospects of this car.

Also thanks to all brave 2nd gen RL purchasers who are willing to work out any minor kinks a new run will experience.

I think it was Ceric who said he's looking forward to the new M45 as he'll take V8 over AWD in sunny CA...I'm looking forward to the RL versus M35/M45 thread which I'm sure we'll see next Spring!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I understand that this is an issue of concern, but please check the Rules of the Road, specifically number 8. It's not okay to send people - either via link, or encouragement - to other automotive message boards.

I'm sorry about this, but it is specified in the MA and we've all agreed to abide by its terms.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • somnosomno Member Posts: 43
    I just went on a test drive of the RL and really liked the car and may buy one soon. I did notice one interesting thing though, I could not see the hood at all. I am 6'1" so height is not the problem but I think this is due to the seats being much lower than other cars (like my Lexus LS 400) and the down-sloping hood.

While the view of the road is excellent, my concern is when parking the car, will my judgment of the front and sides of the hood cause trouble? I would appreciate any feedback from current owners of this vehicle.

Also, if the car does not lock automatically when you walk away from it (like it does in the Audi A6 that I just took for a test drive), then what does one do to make sure that the car is locked (especially if the key-sensor never leaves your pocket as some have suggested)?
  • 9482494824 Member Posts: 8
    It takes several parking attempts to get a feel for distance, particularly when parallel parking, but one adapts quickly.

With respect to locking the doors, you touch a button on the exterior door handle. It's pretty cool.
  • roblimroblim Member Posts: 6
    Just curious-- I noticed that there are six buttons numbered 1-6 on the center console. Can these buttons be used to access the radio presets? I understand that you can select presets through either the steering wheel or the knob on the center console but do the 1-6 buttons work as well?
  • sacguysacguy Member Posts: 27
    Hi,
    How did the A6 compare or not compare to the RL?
    The A6 (I drove the 4.2 liter V8) is a little faster accelerating to 60 mph and definitely has more umph from 60 t0 80 mph as would be expected from a V8. The A6 feels a little more solid (also weighs about 200 pounds more) but handles otherwise very similar to the RL.

The interiors of both cars are very nice, but the Audi is a little more plush. Most of the extras on the A6 are included in the RL so that to get the same features would cost you about $7K more with the A6.

I personally like the style of the A6 better (it looks more substantial and distinctive) but for the $7K difference and tremendous difference in reliability, I will probably buy the RL.

Still thinking about it for a while, though.
    >>Just curious-- I noticed that there are six buttons numbered 1-6 on the center console. Can these buttons be used to access the radio presets? I understand that you can select presets through either the steering wheel or the knob on the center console but do the 1-6 buttons work as well?

Yes, the buttons access the presets as well.
    >> ...then what does one do to make sure that the car is locked...

When you touch the dimple on the door handle to lock the doors, the lights flash briefly and you hear a beep. That indicates the doors are locked. Not quite as good as if the doors locked automatically, but it works fine.
  • tinmantinman Member Posts: 3
    I just got the car yesterday, when I try to use the dimple on the door handle to lock the doors, it does not always work. Does anyone know how it works ? Does it might be sense both pressure and temperature ?
    If you put your fingers on the inside of the handle when you are trying to use the dimple, it will not work. Pulling on the inside of the handle unlocks the door. I found when I first took delivery of my RL that I was trying to lock the car with my fingers grasping the handle.
  • tinmantinman Member Posts: 3
    I made sure I was just touching the dimple and not the inside of the handle. I tried the dimple on the passenger side and it worked. Will bring the car back to the dealer next week to see what's wrong.
  • pjn43pjn43 Member Posts: 3
    The dimple is not designed to be pressed. All I do is simply brush the back of my hand over it as I walk away and it locks every time.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    "Not quite as good as if the doors locked automatically, but it works fine."

There's a safety hazard with automatic locking. If you have someone with you in the car and you step out to get something (with the remote in your pocket), then the car locks them in! If they try to open the door the alarm will sound!
  • pjn43pjn43 Member Posts: 3
    AWD models seriously considered: Volvo S60 R & 2005 Audi A6. The S60 R has a beautiful interior, some nice features, but overall it is surprisingly outdated and the build quality was not there. The new A6 looks distinctive outside but the interior was disappointing for an all-new model. The RL's combination of build quality, fit and finish, design both inside and out, and advanced features made the decision between these three easy. My first Japanese luxury car after years of European models and I am thrilled.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    "There's a safety hazard with automatic locking. If you have someone with you in the car and you step out to get something (with the remote in your pocket), then the car locks them in! If they try to open the door the alarm will sound!"

Hmmmmmmmmm seems like a great way to keep my sweetie from running off to do some additional shopping when left alone for a few minutes in the Mall parking lot! ;-)
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    LOL! Just make sure your sweetie doesn't sell the RL in the Mall parking lot and use the $50 grand for Christmas shopping! :-)
    Just wondering if anyone in northern California (where there has been lots of snow in the last 3 weeks) have had a chance to actually test the RL SH-AWD on real snow?

As I live in southern California but will be taking the car often to Mammoth Mountain for ski trips, I would like to know how good the car is on the white stuff.
    >>There's a safety hazard with automatic locking. If you have someone with you in the car and you step out to get something (with the remote in your pocket), then the car locks them in! If they try to open the door the alarm will sound!

I'm not sure I'd consider that a safety hazard, maybe an occasional inconvenience. I'd definitely trade that for the many times I've gotten a block away from my car and had to go back because I couldn't remember whether I'd locked it, or not.
    >>As I live in southern California but will be taking the car often to Mammoth Mountain for ski trips, I would like to know how good the car is on the white stuff.

I'd be more interested in knowing how good it is on a curve with wet pavement. I had a minor, but scary accident with my 99RL when I lost it on a curve in the rain.
  • gereldgereld Member Posts: 9
    I have had mine for over a week and have found the operation of the dimple on the drivers side to be inconsistent. Sometimes it locks with just a press and other times it takes 3 or 4 times to get it to work. The one on the passengers side works fine every time it's used. I'm going to have them look at it when I take it in for the 1st oil change.
    The reviews by the experts who took the RL for a ride on a wet track were all raving about how much better in held the road compared to the BMW, E series Mercedes and even A6. It may be one of the safest cars on wet roads.

Still would like to know how it does on snowy and icy roads.
    >>I have had mine for over a week and have found the operation of the dimple on the drivers side to be inconsistent. Sometimes it locks with just a press and other times it takes 3 or 4 times to get it to work.

I've had that problem too. However, I've found the best way to get it to work is just to sort of slide my hand along the handle, over the dimple. That seems to work the most consistently.
  • racer_xracer_x Member Posts: 8
    >>> Somno said "[...]The A6 feels a little more solid (also weighs about 200 pounds more) but handles otherwise very similar to the RL. [...] I personally like the style of the A6 better (it looks more substantial and distinctive) but for the $7K difference and tremendous difference in reliability[emphasis mine], I will probably buy the RL. Still thinking about it for a while, though."

If I may be so bold, I recommend you stop thinking about it. As a current '03 Audi A6 2.7T owner who has suffered through 5 forced trips to the repair shop including two emergency recalls, I am now on the market for a luxury sedan that doesn't require me to be on a first-name basis with my dealership's mechanic. One of the recalls came two weeks AFTER I LOST ALL POWER while doing 65mph on the highway. Nice of them to alert me to this nearly deadly problem...I guess I was one of the lucky folks who became a datapoint which prompted the recall. Not good. Oh, and now the clutch for my 6-speed manual is slipping badly after only 24 months.

In an earlier post (4614) Boston1 said "I just turned in an A6 on a lease and had one small problem after another for 3 years. I would never own an Audi."

For my part, I would amend that to say "I would never even LEASE an Audi." I'm now looking to see if there is anything I can do to get out of my Audi lease...

- Racer_X
    I have found recently that I can highlight the "call" button on the screen for phone numbers in the Nav system and it will successfully call using the HFL paired with the VZW Motorola v710. This was a pleasant surprise as like nebraskaguy I did not think this was enabled.

For those with the v710 paired to the 05 RL, what ring setting on the v710 are you selecting that allows for a successful audible alert from the RL when you have an incoming call, i.e. soft, loud, vibrate, etc? Incoming call alerts initially worked but now I am not getting any audible prompts, thus missing incoming calls, and wonder if it is the ring setting on the phone that is making a difference. I will try them all to trouble shoot but wondered if anyone had suggestions on how to address this. Many thanks.
  • monet5monet5 Member Posts: 32
    Racer_X - Sorry to hear about your Audi. I have a '01 Audi A6 (2.7T) and have had zero problems with it. All in all its been as reliable as any car I have owned. My lease is up in 3 weeks and looking hard at the '05 RL and the '05 Audi A6. I really like the RL, but the lack of passenger seat height adjustment is enough to receive the veto from the spouse. Not sure I have the votes to over-ride her, but she's high on the Audi.

In both cases the cars are going close to MSRP and that's another issue for me. Makes the lease payments outrageous. If my current lease wasn't ticking away I would love to wait for 3 months as the market for the A6 and RL calm down and the Infiniti M35 and 300C (both AWD) hit the street.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Just a few random thoughts/questions on this issue after reading all the posts on it:

Is this a case of trying to re-invent the wheel? Is it not simpler just to use the good old reliable remote? I, for one, would hate to have to run my hands over the handle several times to get it to lock.

Is it true than that you cannot manually check to see if the doors are locked, because as soon as you pull or grab the inside of the door handle, the doors unlock? And I'm sure there are a lot of us with a bit of obsessive compulsive streak that will want to do that.

Is there a flashing LED light somewhere to indicate the car is armed?

Acura should have at least made auto-locking & arming a user-programmable feature.
  • algoodmanalgoodman Member Posts: 21
    There is a flashing red light on the instrument panel indicating that the doors are locked and the security system armed.
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Dear 1943973 (WILLIAM), The SH-AWD LOCKUP PROBLEM would be EXTREMELY important to document. Please give us some more information on this. Every current 2005 owner and every person considering a purchase should be made aware of this if it is true!!!!

If it is some kind of misinformation or hoax then we should expose it for what it is.

Why would I do something like that? I currently own an previous gen RL, NSX-T, and MDX. Before that I owned a TL and my first car was a black Acura Integra LS-Special edition. I've never owned a non-Acura in my life.

Just because I'm not impressed with the 05 RL doesn't mean I would make up a rumor. That benefits no one. I still keep my eye out for yearly changes and hopefully Acura will have something I may like in another 8 years.
    Briefly touching the dimple as one leaves the car is very simple and has worked for me every time I leave and lock the car. It is simpler than taking the key fob out of my pocket and pressing a button, although that is available too if one prefers. There is immediate visual and audible confirmation that it has successfully locked so there is no guessing involved.

There are many personal settings provided for in the menus so you can personalize nearly every setting as you wish, including what happens when you lock/unlock keylessly. With my 03 BMW 530 that I traded in for the RL, there were a number of menus for personalization but one had to go to the dealer to have them make the changes by connecting a computer to the car. With the RL you can do everything yourself and the menus are much more extensive. Very flexible and convenient, which is very natural for Acura and unnatural for BMW (i.e. I-drive).
    Many of the reviews state that the new SH-AWD system is the first AWD system that can switch the torque from both front to back wheels and from side to side.

How is that different from Audi's AWD system that I believe has been doing that for many years?
    I thought that when you left the car with the fob in your pocket once you reached a certain distance (not sure what that distance is) the car automatically locks.

If so, why would you need to touch/press this dimple? So you can get audio/visual confirmation of the door locking? Thanks in advance for your responses!