Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    I feel you Monet5! Why is it that people, and sometimes auto magazines, insist on comparing the RL to V8 models? It's a V6 for crying out loud...can we just keep it in that category...and do fair comparos?!
    Wrong Gogglespiasano...He does have to own the car to provide feedback in Edmunds consumer review section!
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    As I previously posted (#4566), there were photos at the private preview comparing the trunk space of the RL (13.0 cu. ft.) and the MB-E320 (14.0) and BMW 530 (14.0). A parcel which fit in the RL did not clear the sills of the other two vehicles despite the additional 1.0 cu. ft. capacity. I was assured that it was the same parcel and there was no "trick photography" involved.

In regard to the suspected "plant" of a negative review, there will always be people who make it a mission to be that way. Being a gadfly brings them perverse pleasure and satisfaction that they can "stick it" to someone. Ignore them.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    In recent days, I have learnt a few things, and one of them involves understanding of how trunk size is determined. Automakers are free to use one of the available standards.

VDA method involves placing standard sized blocks into the trunk and total trunk space is determined based off that. Honda uses VDA method.

SAE has its own standard where you could put x volume of (something like sand) material into the trunk and that x volume becomes the trunk volume.

VDA method returns lower cubic footage since smaller nooks and crannies go unaccounted for. In an example (where I learnt about these two methods), Ford was mentioned as using VDA to spec cargo space for one of its vehicles in Europe. Using VDA method, the van had about 12.5 cu ft of space compared to about 14 cu ft returned by SAE method.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    Shotgun, you may not have seen that the recent brief discussion about the RL and the Audi 6 V8 was only with regard to the current C&D magazine which runs reviews of both cars virtually back to back in the magazine. Makes this comparison of stats easy so that was the only discussion involved. Read both articles and see what you think. RL comes across pretty good IMHO. Otherwise, no disagreement with your point about comparing apples/apples.

As others have stated, the best comparos in this regard are with the Audi 6 V6 and BMW 530 (except for AWD) and perhaps a few others that have been mentioned. Comparing "down market" to the TL or the Infinitis that have been mentioned also don't seem to be accurate comparisons. They are all great cars but in somewhat different price ranges and type categories.
  • gogglespiasanogogglespiasano Member Posts: 28
    Shotgun,

I acknowledged that what he did was unethical (if he did not own an RL but posted in the Consumer Review area as an owner). However, the opinions he expressed can still be valid.

More important, several of the issues I raised I consider to be important drawbacks for the RL. Trunk, backseat space, acceleration (and Accord like or awkward rear end styling) are issues from my perspective. Fuel economy is really average compared to Mercedes E-320 or TL. Others comparing the backseat and trunk to a BMW 530 are also missing the point in my view. Even the new 5 series has important drawbacks in those areas and especially in reliability. I don't understand why the $50,000 cars are not really better than the $35,000 cars.
  • bobb1bobb1 Member Posts: 22
    1) Has anyone seen a Redondo Red in person? If so pls provide your impression of the red.
    2) Also Has any current owner taken a trip where "way points" are used? How well does that work. For example: Say I want to go to Memphis from Chicago - - the best way is to cruse over to 57 and head south, but us CHI guys know that getting to 57 from the northwest side will cost lots of time, the answer is to take 55 to Bloomingtom and then crossover to 57 and proceed south. So you would set navigation destination to Memphis with a way point of bloomington in hopes of forcing navagation to route you down 55.

Anyone tried that type of programming???

Also I hear the Sony phones work best with bluetooth, anyone using one?? I have a T637.

Arrival date for me is Fri the 19th.

I will post Friday night my experiences and yes, I did pay MSRP and bought a few accessories like trunk mat, all weather floor mats, locking lugs (yes I am nuts) and mud flaps (i love em.... but no naked women on them or the next truck stop)...
    Thanks all.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    When comparing trunk space, please keep in mind that the RL has temp spare tire, while in all BMW 5-series there are full-size spare tires (with matching alloy wheels). A car with a temp spare definitely should provide more space. Otherwise, what is the point?
    I have no problem with your issues/opinions googlespiasano - from your perspective they are valid concerns and I respect that. I own an 05' RL and for one who actually owns one I feel a little different. For instance, backseat space is more that adequate for two individuals - very few cars can comfortably accomodate three people in the back. Acceleration is quite strong, yes it might not out-accelerate a few V8's out there but it will absolutely "smoke" most V6's especially those of the BMW, Mercedes, and Audi variety. I fully agree with you that fuel economy could be better quite few V8's have better MPG #'s. Considering the overall performance, build quality, and expectant reliability, the RL is the definition of "World Class" and has no peer when it comes to value...
  • liyliy Member Posts: 47
    You're kiddin' yourself. The RL ain't gonna "smoke" BMW, Mercedes or Audi (V6 to V6). It is undeniable that the RL still feels underpowered - especially when accelerating from a stop. (However, it is also undeniable tha the RL is a very, very nice automobile).

LIY
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Re: Redondo red, I have it in the TL. It is a metallic cherry and IMHO is beautiful.
  • rikkrikk Member Posts: 14
    I test drove an RL this morning and the torque is still lacking. Maybe I did not give it a fair chance and need to drive it again. But the finish and workmanship of the vehicle are first rate as I expected from Acura. The center console is a bit on the Swiss Army knife side with possibly too many gadgets but it will keep the kid busy provided they are easy to reset. I am not certain about the automatic up on the windows, seems like a child could get themselves choked, unless it reverses when resistance is encounter at the top. But just hitting my hand did not cause it to stop or reverse. Going to have to see how it stands up against the S60R, the Chrysler (yes Chrysler) SRT-8 AWD, G35x, and maybe the E320 or E500 4matic's. Not an Audi fan.
  • valuebuyervaluebuyer Member Posts: 24
    Posted on the competitor (2006 Infiniti M) board too. Has anyone noticed the significant overprice on the Canadian MSRP? A good $CAD 10K over a similarly-equipped US 05 RL. Some nonsense was posted about Canadian dealers taking the 'local market' into account to justify this cash grab attempt. [non-permissible content removed], of course. With a rising $CAD, even Honda can afford finance staff who know there is no hedge risk. If the US product is coming in at US$49K list, the Canadian cars coming off the same boat from Japan shouldn't have a 10K premium. Honda should take away the major metro dealerships, for the principals' dumb greed, if nothing else. Wonder how many CAD$50K cars these brainiacs are going to sell at CAD$70K? And after Lexus and Infiniti launch next March/June? Even without the growing RL 'problems', Honda Japan should shoot the Canadian guy who set the list price.
  • starkystarky Member Posts: 7
    Although Acura charges a price which is too high in Canada there is not the $10,000. difference as some indicate.
    Current U. S. price before freight charges is
    $ 48,930. Add 20 % exchange brings the it to
    $ 58,716. Add 6.1 % duty brings the total to
    $ 62,298. This creates a difference of about
    $ 7,200. between the two cars which do have slight differences in equipment.
    The U. S. model includes Onstar and XM radio.
    The Canadian model includes vented front seats and headlight washers.
    These two different cars probably equalize the values for each car.
    Acura does charge too much in Canadian funds for the car in Canada but it is not as much as stated in this forum.
    There is a 6.1 % duty on all imported cars not manufactured in the NAFTA ZONE.
    Dealers do not set the price of these cars as they are set by head office with a mandate to sell at full MSRP to protect the price point of the car.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    I have not seen the RL in the red, but I have seen the TL...I was disappointed.

Beware...the color looks quite a bit different at night under lights than during the day.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Does anyone want to speculate why Acura did not include "air cooled seats" on the new 05 model?

It would have probably increased the cost, but how much...and would it have made any difference on a $50,000 car.

Is it too much to wish that Acura may add the cooled seats during this model year?
  • algoodmanalgoodman Member Posts: 21
    The Motorola V710 has been added to the RL's list of compatible phones. I know how to "pair" it but not how to make the Acuralink data transfer work. Does anyone know how to do this?
    It is a Verizon V710.
  • lynnminnylynnminny Member Posts: 49
    Picked up my new 2005 RL on Saturday. Sold my 2000 E320 and replaced it with the RL. Previously I had owned a '93 Legend.

First impressions: A much firmer ride than the E320. Driver's compartment has much more of a "cockpit" feel than the E320.

The passenger side front seat needs to have a memory and also needs to have a height adjustment. This is a fairly big flaw in my opinion.

So far, I love the car. The navigation system is easy to use even without reading the book (which I still have to do). Love the XM satellite radio, so much to choose from!!

Car heating system is very quiet when it is running. I don't even hear it, just feel this wonderful warmth wafting over me. Very nice!

So, those are a few first impressions.

Lynnminny
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You've brought up a good point. If you need to press a button on the outside to lock-up after you've exited the car, that's really no different, or any more convenient, than pressing the button inside the door, before you close the door. It goes back to my initial opinion that to make this system worthwhile, Acura should have made it fully auto-locking.

But I do like the chirp/beep to confirm locking/unlocking. Horn blast is no good, but a chirp or beep is cool.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    Ability to adjust the height on the passenger seat of the 2005 RL sure would be great....I hear you! The MDX has it.
    Not sure if this has been mentioned in this thread yet... but Honda Legend (AKA Acura RL) obtained the Car Of The Year 2004-2005 award in Japan. It managed to get 425 votes.

Among prime competitors, Nissan Fuga (AKA Infiniti M35/M45) finished third with 246 votes. The new Audi A6 was towards the bottom with 76 votes.

Most Advanced Technology award went to the Legend as well.
    Robertsmx,
    Yes, it was posted here before. SH-AWD did win a lot of votes for Legend. However, Fuga out sold Legend 3:1 in Japan for the past month (10/14 to 11/14). VW Jetta got the 2nd, edging out Fuga by 1 vote.
    My new RL is due for delivery in a couple weeks. I am elated. I am not allowed to advertise my 2000 Acura 3.2 TL on this forum so I won't!
  • twentworth22twentworth22 Member Posts: 3
    I recently drove from Boston->NYC and then back. NavTraffic had been working fine in Boston and actually worked in NYC as well. When I drove back however, it never worked once I got back to Boston. I also noticed that my "Messages" icon is greyed out and the AcuraLink configuration option under the setup menu doesn't workl (ie. I select it and nothing happens). I called XM Radio to have them send a refresh signal and nothing happened.

It seems like my RL needs a reboot. Am I stuck with taking this to the dealer to get it fixed? I unfortunately don't have a Nav system manual so if there is something there I'd appreciate any suggestions. Yes, I've read the other posts. This has nothing to do w/ the icons being hidden :-)
  • safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    Does anybody know if the 2005 RL has RDS (Radio Data System)? I find it hard to imagine that a vehicle with a sound system as advanced lacks the fairly old RDS technology (my '98 A4 has it, after all), but it wasn't operating on the demo I test drove last weekend, I couldn't find it anywhere, and the salesman was totally worthless (he actually tried to sell the car based on "real wood trim" and the steering wheel's power adjustment).

Also, has anybody done a head-to-head of the RL and the new A6? I'm interested in your thoughts if so. I'm torn between the two...while sportier looking (IMHO), the A6 3.2 seemed sluggish off the line, whereas the RL was much quicker, and the RL is almost certain to be more reliable, but my family has been Audi-only for nearly 20 years! I did find that SH-AWD blew Quattro, which has a tendency to oversteer, away.
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    The actual price difference is more like $11k Cdn.

MSRP plus destination charge in the US is $49,470 US. MSRP plus destination in Cda is $70,700 Cdn. Using a $1 Cdn = $0.83 exch rate to equivalize the two results in a $11,098 Cdn or $9,211 US difference. I made this comparison quite a while ago on this board using a lower exch rate but the Cdn $ keeps on rising in value.

But for all intents and purposes this is a completely academic comparison since we are talking about two completely seperate markets for new vehicles since there is no free flow of new or nearly new vehicles taking place between the two markets to balance out pricing.

Valuebuyer you seem quite distressed by this but would you rather have been paying significantly more for your vehicles for the last decade with the value of the Cdn$ well below the $0.70 level??? Gbabaluk's post in the M35/45 board which provides rationale from Honda is completely realistic - they will definitely look at market characterisitics including category demand, competitive pricing and other factors before setting their price - if it was your business wouldn't you? In all liklihood Honda has probably hedged their foreign exchange exposure anyway and is unlikely to be profiting from pure exchange rate differences. They also probably set their price for this vehicle over a year ago when the exchange rate was significantly different.

They have however decided to price the RL at a relatively higher price point in the category. To this point it appears they are getting it as the RL appears to be in hot demand in Cda and going for MSRP. How long will it last? Will new competitive offerings ultimately change it? The market will decide - especially a value driven mkt such as this one.
    What is the price difference between the Legend and Fuga in Japan? BTW, Legend wasn't launched in Japan at the same time it was here (Oct 14). Was it? Honda mentioned receiving 2200 units of Legend orders.
    Direct conversion doesn't work always. We know about the RL, which is priced at $49K in the USA and $69K in Canada. Lexus GS430 follows a similar pricing strategy, $49K in the USA versus $69K in Canada (IIRC).
  • somnosomno Member Posts: 43
    I hopefully may never have to put chains on this car, but as I do go to Mammoth Mountain a lot it may sometimes be necessary.

Any idea which set of wheels get the snow chains?
    What is the price difference between the Legend and Fuga in Japan? BTW, Legend wasn't launched in Japan at the same time it was here (Oct 14). Was it? Honda mentioned receiving 2200 units of Legend orders.
    Legend went on sale 09/01. Fuga went on sale 10/14. Legend is priced at 5.25m yen. Fuga has many models with 250GT between 3.4m - 3.6m yen and 350GT between 4.2m - 4.9m yen. (1 US$ ~ 110 yen)

With Legend at one price and higher price point, it is no surprising that Fuga out-sold it.

BTW, if you read Honda Japanese website, Honda Legend does have options to be available in March/2005 (lane keeping, for one). Not sure about their availability in the US.
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    ceric, where do you get this info?

Can you read Japanese?

I'm surprised that the top of the line Fuga is cheaper than the RL. Hopefully, that'll be the case for the M35 AWD as well.
  • starkystarky Member Posts: 7
    You still are not factoring in the 6.1% Canadian Duty which is applicable to all automobiles not manufactured in North America.
    This will lower the difference based on your calculations to $ 7,715. not $ 11,098.
  • spclstspclst Member Posts: 6
    I have my RL for 5 days now and I've seen (while I'm watching it) the traffic info disappear from the screen. When I go to the 'display icons' option, the traffic is 'greyed-out' and is a non-selectable item. The traffic info has come on, at random intervals, later on...but I am disappointed in this so far....the dealer is looking into it, but no response yet. The only other disappointment is that the radio does not display title/artist/etc info, even with a DVD-A playing. And it doesn't even seem to display info from FM as most current radio's do....hmmmmm.

Other than these two things, the car is great!
    I want to upgrade to 18" wheels (not Acura's - aftermarket), but one place told me that the new RL's have a new bolt pattern so there are few, if any, new wheels available yet. One online wheel retailer said the opposite, that they are the same. Does anyone know? Also, what about moving the tire-pressure monitoring valves - is it possible or would I have to sacrafice this feature (which I don't want to do) for the larger wheels?

Thanks for any info.
    Ok, I am not an idiot, really. The last car I had (a 2004 Touareg which was re-purchased by VW under the lemon law) had automatic lights and, as with the RL, you just put the switch to 'Auto' and you're done. But, at night, with the switch on auto, everytime I turn the car off and open the door, it beeps at me. If I turn the lights off (and even if I immediately return the switch to 'auto') the beeping goes off, but this makes no sense....any ideas? Or what am I missing?
    Honda Legend was announced for Japanese market on Oct 7, a week before it went on sale in the USA. For the Japanese market, Honda is seems to be offering two or three packages: Exclusive, Advanced and Advanced HI to include things like Intelligent Cruise Control, Lane Keep Assist, Rear Window Shade, Rear Power Sunshade, Power Trunk Open/Close, Intelligent Night Vision and Collision Mitigation System with E-Pretensioner. Standard features also include 10-way adjustments for driver and passenger front seats.

This essentially puts Honda Legend in the Japanese market to cover a price range of 5.25m Yen (base) to 6.91m Yen (fully loaded). Honda Inspire is designed for a lower price range class, and it goes up to 4.3m Yen at the moment. With possible addition of SH-AWD, Inspire's loaded price would be closer to base price on the Legend.
    You're right. Oct 7 was the on-sale day of Legend. The news releases started on Sep 1. For those who are interested in Fuga, let us take it to M35/M45 forum. I don't want to hijack this one. Thanks.
  • carguy5carguy5 Member Posts: 5
    Same problem with the auto-lights here. Seems to be a bug, I wonder if they can just fix that via some kind of software update. For now I just ignore it. :- / Almost makes me nervous when I leave the car though!
    Twentworth and Spclst,
    Suggest doing a search here using "navtraffic" as it will turn up prior posts on this issue. I had two earlier ones at #4617 and #4686 which may or may not be relevant to you. In short it could be a loose connection at the XM box in your trunk or you need the box replaced as I did. Best of luck.
    When the headlights are on auto and you turn off the ignition at night and open the door a beep will occur as a reminder that you have left the lights on auto. I ignore the reminder because the lights automatically turn off according to the delay you set (I set mine to 15 seconds) but for others they may want to turn the lights off manually so they don't automatically come back on when the car starts. Thus I don't think its a malfunction but just a perhaps an unnecessary reminder for some folks (including me too).
    Another possibility on the traffic is that you have lost the link to the satellite. Since it's provided by XM, it comes down on the same satellite link as your XM radio. If you don't have a line-of-sight to the satellite, you're probably out of luck.
    Does the RL have a true auto-light control system, one that reacts to ambient lighting?

If it is truly automatic, it should not come back on when the car is started unless the ambient lighting is below the threshold level. Otherwise, it really just have auto-off lights, the same as in the TL, MDX, and Accord.
    The RL does test the ambient lighting and the owner can set the sensitivity level to one of 3 or 4 levels. When parking in a garage though even the lowest level of sensitivity will cause the lights to come on even in daylight as most garages are sufficiently dark to trigger this. Once you pull out of the garage they immediately go off.
    It is a true auto-light control. You can set the ambient light level that triggers it on.
    It is probably not a satellite reception issue because the ones who are reporting the navtraffic issue, as I encountered several weeks ago, are still getting XM radio reception but not getting Acuralink and Navtraffic which are received in another part of the XM box. If there is not XM radio reception too, then that is a satellite reception issue as you mention.
    Thanks, guys. Wish my TL had this feature!
    Just throwing a thought out there. My wife's A4 Cabriolet is the first car we've owned with satellite radio (Sirius), and it loses it's link in our garage, at certain overpasses, and on a particularly windy, hilly road around here.
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>I wish Acura would allow you to turn the ANC on and off. That would be the best way to tell the impact.

You can turn it off and on. I believe it's under audio set up.
    Everything in my RL is performing well. I actually do look forward to getting that first service though after reading Shotgun and your posts. Keep an eye on that MPG George because other people are saying it improves 4 to 5 miles and I look forward to the feedback. JJ