Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    The RL utilizes relatively low profile, relatively high performance tires that are neither as pothole and bump friendly as BMW's standard 5-series

Not really. RL uses P245/50/R17 tires which translates to having a sidewall height of 4.8 inch (typical of non-sport tires). BMW 530i, OTOH, gets P225/50/R17 which is a low profile rubber (this is, before moving to sport package which gets you P245/40/R18 tire).

A-Spec package may move to P245/40/R18 tires with performance rubber, however. But stock tires are “average profiled” with all-season rubber.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Guess I have become a troll on the forum, enjoy the information on the cars I am interested in.
    From the assortment of comment and talking to owners, I have two concerns on any present day cars.
    1. My cell phone, with a speaker and voice command has worked fine for me. Blue tooth phones seem to cause a lot of problems for the resulting rewards and I would pass on this.
    2. Nav's- Being one of those anal individuals I have to have it right if I am going to own it. It's expensive & big bucks to repair. What can't I get off of MapQuest and my compass? I have never been lost. The technology is certain to change within 5 years or less. Would I have a great car with a totally out of date Nav? Look at all the late 90's BMW's & Mercedes with built in Analog phones all eye sores. There was a post from a guy the other day who was so happy to get updated software, now it shows the two streets (on his way home) that was not shown before, he was a happy man. This would probably be me, driving myself nuts.
    My two cents worth.
    Five years ago, Acura RL’s navigation system/dash used to look like this:

I would say that it will still look “current” in many cars. Face it, the class of cars you’re looking at, or talking about have to have excesses, otherwise they wouldn’t be luxury cars.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Sat nav: seemed like a toy; on my fourth car with it; use it weekly -- even in my home town. Tis a toy no more -- tis a safety and convenience device of the highest function and caliber.

Hmm, take my power seats, even take my dual zone climate control (leaving me the A/C and heater, of course); heck, take my power trunk release and automatic-lock power locks (leaving me with manual power locks, if you get my drift). Take my cassette deck (leave my CD changer, tho) -- just pleeeeeeeze don't take my sat nav.

What once were vices are now virtues! Add Acura Real Time Traffic to the mix and . . . well you get the picture.

Q: What would happen if Pheobe Snow married one of the Doobie Brothers?

A: She'd be named Phoebe Doobie of course.

I am REALLY getting old. . .
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    >>2. Nav's- Being one of those anal individuals I have to have it right if I am going to own it. It's expensive & big bucks to repair. What can't I get off of MapQuest and my compass? I have never been lost. The technology is certain to change within 5 years or less. Would I have a great car with a totally out of date Nav? Look at all the late 90's BMW's & Mercedes with built in Analog phones all eye sores. There was a post from a guy the other day who was so happy to get updated software, now it shows the two streets (on his way home) that was not shown before, he was a happy man. This would probably be me, driving myself nuts.
    My two cents worth.

Nav's aren't for everyone - if you rarely drive outside totally familiar areas, have an excellent sense of direction, etc. It's wonderful that you've never been lost and that Mapquest works so well for you. As for me, I would never buy a car without one. It's not just a matter of getting lost, or even using Mapquest. Three times since I bought my new RL I've been in cities with which I was not familiar. With my nav I could get around with total confidence. I had no access to Mapquest while gone, and one city, Pittsburgh, is so difficult to get around in that I couldn't have done it without my nav.

As far as worrying about the nav getting out of date, it's not really a big problem. I had my 99 RL, with nav for 5 1/2 years. I only had a couple of occasions where a new street wasn't included. I updated it once in the 5 1/2 years, at a cost of $60, and was good to go. The technology was perfectly adequate, though the 05 RL is far superior. And the nav on the 99 was never an eyesore.

I've known several individuals who swore they would never use a nav system, but now that they have one, would never be without one. But, each to his/her own. Just my two cents worth.
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    "Regarding the RL suspension, it is a subjective assessment by all of us but I would not characterize the ride as "harsh" at all but rather "more firm than average" in order to have the impressive handling and cornering capabilities it has. This was an important factor for me in buying the RL back in October. If it had an "average" suspension I would not have bought it and probably retained my BMW 530 instead."

Good assessment HENDJAZ. Thanks
    "I am REALLY getting old. . . "

Chuckle....Mark, I used to listen to a talk jock out of Chicago years ago ...last name of Mathews... brilliant mind ...he did a great regular feature as a character named Jim Shorts who did sports casts and his traffic gal was called "Lane Closure". We've come a long way since "Lane Closure" kept everyone informed about traffic conditions. There will come a day in the big cities when Nav and XM Live Traffic and Weather will become regular instruments in most vehicles. Oh, and one regular comment from Kevin Mathews character Jim (Gym) Shorts when referring to age was... you're not getting older...you're getting longer! (Followed by his ogre-ish laugh NNNN...yuk,,yuk yuk!!!)
    RobertsMX, Could you please take us through the steps on how you posted that graphic. I would very much appreciate it. Thanks. JJ (I have an iMac)
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    jjacura,
    Use your right mouse to bring up pop-up menu,
    Assuming you're using IE...
    Go to post #5166
    Click on "View Source"
    Use "Find" under "Edit" menu
    Type in "Five years ago", click "Find Next"
    You will see how to post a picture...the line with "img src=....". Just follow that syntax next time you do it.

Just a word of caution, the HOST does not like poeple posting big pictures here. 8-)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I strongly suggest that you edit your email address out of that post to prevent the spam bots from harvesting it. Instead, you can make it public in your profile. This will allow only logged-in members to see it.

If you don't see this message in time to edit yours, send me an email and I'll delete it if you like.
    Using an &#147;img src=http-address-here&#148; (enclosed within < and >)
    Thanks Ceric and Robertsmx...I'm just not sure how to get a photo file from my computer into that syntax?
    If your photo is on hard drive, you will have to load it to an online website like Sony's www.imagestation.com or Kodak's www.ofoto.com.

And then provide a link to the pictures (once the pictures are online, open your album, right click on the picture, select properties and get the URL and put it in the img tag with src=URL.
    I suspect that ANY electronics in a modern automobile are not inexpensive to repair or replace. I have not seen any posts from anyone on any board, ever, pertaining to a navigation system repair -- leading me to the almost certainly inaccurate conclusion that nav systems don't ever break.

I've had CD changers need replacing (Jeep); I have had my heat and ac controls go south (Cordoba aka Chrysler); I have had my power actuated steering column go south on two different Audis (1997 & 2001). I am certain nav systems do break -- but the "expensive to maintain and or repair" remark does not track with my personal or observed experiences.

FWIW. And, BTW, have you ever tried to enter information into MAPQUEST while driving for Pete's sake? It's an accident waiting to happen and, in my case, the extension cord isn't long enough.

I crack myself up.
  • adam_kelleyadam_kelley Member Posts: 24
    I had traded in a 99 TL with Nav for my 05 RL and never had a single problem with the Nav. It never felt old or "tired" looking in it's older years. I remember when I test drove the BMW 5 series when I was shopping for my 05 RL, I couldn't believe how convoluted the BMW iDrive interface was. My 1999 Nav unit was still "light years" easier to use and as it appeared to me, seemed to be better than BMW's most current nav system. Acura, by far, has the best Nav units on the market. I think Lexus comes in a close second.

The friend I sold my TL to says that the unit (not the screen, but the computer that resides in the trunk) in the 1999 TL can be swapped out for any model's unit up to 2003. And you can find places on the Internet selling them between $300 and $500. Point being, it's possible these Nav Units can be easily replaced and possibly even cheaper than paying Acura to repair it.
    BINGO....thats the missing link...it has to come from a URL. I use Shutterfly.com and have about 80 albums stored there. Thanks Roberts
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    please fix this for me thank you
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I just happened to see your message, so I took care of it.
    I occasionally like to stop by this discussion and see how all ofyou knowledgeable (and polite!) RL enthusiasts are doing :)

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

thank you Happy Holidays
    Hi, Mark,
    The navi-systems do break. My co-worker's navi-system on his '03 Lexus RX300 failed weeks ago. The whole unit was replaced under warranty. Talk about Lexus's bullet-proof reliability...
    You're the first I've read with any info about a broken Nav system -- good news the warranty fixed it and hopefully this is, if not unique, rare -- I suspect it is very very rare.

But at least we now have proof that they are NOT perfect.

Thanks.
    Has anyone had to chance to find out how to get into the diagnostic screen? So you can reset the oil life % or the warnings when you leave your car with the fob in your pocket with the engine running etc. I asked my dealer and only one tech know and he won't tell anyone (job security I guess)please let me know the reset steps if you do thank you
    You're the first I've read with any info about a broken Nav system -- good news the warranty fixed it and hopefully this is, if not unique, rare -- I suspect it is very very rare.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/74/03740506.html
    see item #7.
    "if not unique, rare -- I suspect it is very very rare."

Not so rare...I did a little research...here are some more.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/01/04012947.html (2004 RL item 5)

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/01/03012947.html (2003 RL items 2 and 6

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/01/02012937.html (2002 RL items 2,6,19, and 20)
    The best auto magazine article on the 2005 RL to-date is in the January issue of Road & Track. A 6 page spread that also includes all specifications and their driving performance findings.
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    jjacura,

That issue may not hit the news stands for a bit...would you please give us a brief summary of their impressions?
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Most critical remark of the review was the following:

"...the new RL proved itself a satisfyingly easy ride..., yet most of us agreed that the double A-arm front and multilink rear suspension needs to lose some initial impact harshness while gaining some resistance to body roll, which is a tad too abundant for a sedan with such sporting intentions. Moreover, the 5-speed automatic, though smooth-shifting, occasionally feels reluctant to quickly downshift."

Owners: do you agree with this? What's meant exactly by "initial impact harshness"?
    "That issue may not hit the news stands for a bit...would you please give us a brief summary of their impressions?"

It's on the newstands ...I'll give you a better summary than Bartalk2 a little later.
  • houstonguy1houstonguy1 Member Posts: 12
    I do not agree with this. I do not know how big the bumps were or how many g's they were taking turns on to make these statements. Here in Houston I have taken some sharp highway ramps at very high speeds and have noticed virtually no body roll--which is amazing for such a relatively big car. As for the bumps, this car does not ride quite as quietly or smoothly at the LS430, but it is far more nimble. The car is best described as sporty-lux, a nice mix of the two.
    "That issue may not hit the news stands for a bit...would you please give us a brief summary of their impressions?"

Larry...It's at Barnes & Noble" ....I sat and read the article again and decided that to summarize it would not do justice to the report. But on balance its more positive than negative and their performance stats looked very good. One nitpick was that they had at the beginning expected Acura to build a big rear-driver to compete with LS430 and Q45. Instead they built a luxurious SPORTS Sedan aimed at the younger, more affluent buyer, a technology-packed all wheel driver that's TRUER to Acura's SPORTY ROOTS. One performance comparison was with BMW 530i and MB E320 where it out-performed both in the 1/4 mile. In his closing paragraph he said Its far sportier than the "Couch -mobile it replaces and is content being what it is: A STYLISH SOLIDLY BUILT ALL-WHEEL DRIVER THAT PUSHES THE ENVELOPE, NOT WITH HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE BUT WITH FASCINATING TECHNOLOGIES AND A UNIQUE ALL WHEEL DRIVE SYSTEM. Hats off to Acura for taking a decidedly different approach toward building its new flagship sedan.
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    I disagree on the "body roll" assertion but do agree with the transmission assessment...Overall, it's a kick-[non-permissible content removed] car which has everything in place to give nightmares to the likes of MB, BMW and Audi!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    heh...nightmare, that's a bit of a stretch. How about competitive alternative.
  • r2917r2917 Member Posts: 67
    I'll have to check my mail tonight and see if my R&T issue came in. I look forward to reading the review

What numbers did they get for the 0-60, skidpad and slalom? Not that they matter to me but I am just curious.

As for the comment about it being a tad harsh over bumps...I agree based on the test drive I had. It is better than my IS300 (most cars are) I am trading in but not close to the LS430 or even the ES330 with taking bumps. It was harsher than I expected but not enough for me to not buy the car. I do wish it took bumps smoother but I can live with it.

0-60 was 6.7 seconds

braking from 60 mph is 126 ft. and from
    80 mph is 224 ft. with control rated excellant

Lateral acceleration 200 ft SKIDPAD...0.86g
    Speed through 700 ft SLALOM...65.1 mph

fuel ecomomy 19 mpg for their driving

Comment: (Buy the car...never had so much fun!!!)
    Thanks double J,

No need to go buy one since I already did last week:) I take delivery of it sometime next week.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    tayl0rd,

Sorry to hear about the A6. Have you thought about the Volvo S60R? It seems similar to the RL but with more sport.

Category RL S60R

HP 300 300

Torque 260 295

0-60 6.7 6.5

70-0, ft 180 168

interior space, cu ft 99 95

skidpad .87 .88

trunk, cu ft 13 13.9

The S60R 0-60 number is for the automatic (apples to apples) - the S60R manual is faster still.

Both are AWD. The S60R has adaptive suspension - Comfort, Sport, Advanced. Volvo's AWD is equally advanced except for the ability of the RL to force the outside wheel to go faster. I would say the Volvo develops torque lower in the RPMs. The Acura has the clear lead in gadgets. Volvo's NAV is excellent. The Volvo has extremely comfortable and supportive seats and the rear is a 60/40 split folding design. Some have said that the Pro Logic audio in the Volvo is better than the RL - they're both very good in that area.

The Volvo is less expensive but the RL has lots of little things the Volvo doesn't, so it's something each person will have to weigh for themselves. I wish the RL had a Sport mode suspension. If you're looking for a luxury sport sedan, it's just a tad soft.
  • nextlife1nextlife1 Member Posts: 12
    I am trying to burn an MP3 CD to play in my RL but am not having much luck. Can you tell me how/what program you used? I have tried burning a data CD using Nero with tracks downloaded from iTunes or Napster but they do not play in the RL. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Also, can you access tracks on the MP3 CD just like a regular CD? The manual implies that you cannot.

Thanks again.

nextlife1
  • larrykalarryka Member Posts: 9
    nextlife1,

I was able to burn about 200 MP3's onto a CD and play them in the RL that I had out for a test drive a couple of weeks ago. I used DeepBurner to burn them as data files. I haven't tried files from iTunes or Napster. I assume the files you tried are straight MP3 files and not the proprietary files that those services use with DRM in them, correct?

I'll hopefully be picking up my new RL some time this week, so I'll be able to give you some more feedback then.

- Lawrence
  • safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    I don't believe that iTunes and Napster sell MP3 files. If I recall correctly, iTunes uses some Apple proprietary encoding scheme, and Napster sells WMA files with DRM.

Easy Three-Step Solution:

1) Burn the downloaded files to an AUDIO CD.

2) Rip the files back to your computer using a program capable of encoding MP3s (NOT Windows Media Player, which rips to WMA format).

3) Burn the newly ripped MP3 files to a data CD.

Arguably, that solution violates the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), as you have circumvented measures designed to prevent copying (the newly ripped MP3s will not contain the copy protection inhrent in the downloads). Then again, maybe it's fair use. At this point, the question is unsettled (the 3-2-1 Studios case, which might have answered the question, has been essentially mooted by 3-2-1's bankruptcy). However, it's not likely the recording industry would ever try to enforce the DMCA against you, provided you didn't share the songs you've stripped of their copy protection.
  • somnosomno Member Posts: 43
    The Volvo prices out at over $47,000 when you add the comparable options that exist on the RL (if you like a stripped down version, then the S60R may be a better choice, especially if the dollar difference is crucial).

The torque on the automatic is only 258, slightly less than the RL (only the manual transmission has the 295).

The S60R is really a much smaller car as it is 13.4 inches shorter.

The RL has several other luxury features which are not available on the Volvo. They are both very nice cars but the Volvo is in a completely different class than the RL. I would suspect that most potential RL buyers would not consider the Volvo (myself included) but rather compare to the Audi A6, BMW or Mercedes.
  • steven9179steven9179 Member Posts: 36
    can anyone tell me the procedure to set the navigation screen to "auto" for the light screen in daylight and the black screen when the headlights are on ??? I am running the headlights on "auto"Also, is there a setting for the doors to auto unkock when the car is stopped and the trans is put in park???
  • adam_kelleyadam_kelley Member Posts: 24
    Your car should have come defaulted to this behavior - at least mine did. The settings can be easily changed via onscreen menu options. I don't remember the exact procedure, but try hitting the "Menu" button and follow the menus on the screen.

Worse case scenario... read the manual.
    Has anyone had their RL in the snow? Surely someone has.

I want to know how the Michelins handle in snow because at tirerack the rating is junk.

If people got snows put on their RL please tell me which model you got. Thanks
    S60 is more TL-Class vehicle than RL. S80 would be more into RL class.
  • somnosomno Member Posts: 43
    Some of the other forums have had a few posts (one from Montreal) stating that the handling in the snow was better than the A6.
    We are due to get snow soon but not enough to really matter. However, in Wisconsin we've been known to get lots and when that happens I will be sure to let you know how those Michelins handle the stuff!. Incidently, you are due to get your car soon...are you thinking about getting a different tire brand because of the Michelin's ratings? (I'm not talking about snow tires now...maybe something in an all-season?
    I am picking my car up tomorrow and was going to get them to slap some snow tires on with some rims but they were going to sell me some pirelli snows that cost 400 bucks a piece...just for the tires. To heck with that so I will just try out the current michelins and if I think they aren't good in snow I'll probably go and buy a different set of all-seasons which there seems to be a handful of good choices.

I am hoping the michelins that come with the car will be fine because I really do not want to get a new set of tires right after getting the car.:)
    My son drives a BMW M3 here and he ordered a set of Tirerack aftermarket wheels and snowtires that he mounts before the snow flies each year. His only problem is when the snow is fairly deep the tolerances around those wheelwells don't really allow enough room and defeats the ability for those snow tires to really function well. BUT with 17" wheels on the RL you should have plenty of room for snow tires to function properly if you are interested. Around here 95% of the time the plows are out quickly and most roads I drive on are OK...plus being retired I can wait til they are cleaned up so I will keep the Michelins on and unless I'm wrong expect to get better traction and road handling in snow than I've ever had due to the SH AWD.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    With a powerful rear-driver, you son absolutely NEEDED snow tires, but with the RL, I think you'll do just fine with all-seasons. I go to my favourite ski resort with all-seasons and front-wheel-drive, and have never been stuck anywhere.
  • bghormbghorm Member Posts: 7
    I just spotted this on the internet: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration just announced that the RL is the ONLY one of 18, 2005 cars tested to receive five stars for front and side impact tests and rollover prevention!!! The NHTSA is testing the new 2005's as they come on the market. Now I feel even better driving my new RL on the So. California freeways.