Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• r2917r2917 Member Posts: 67
    Here's the thing I am wondering...isn't the 2003 accord bigger in key interior dimenions than the 2002 RL? If so, it would seem to make no sense then to trade down in interior size if more room is the mian concern.
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    Acuraphile, your information on the timing of the v710 updated software release is nearly identical to what I have been advised so I have every expectation that it will occur sooner rather than later, unless they run into glitches with the beta testing that is under way in a certain part of the country.

I too have the lakeshore silver and in certain sunlight see a bit of a light purple as you indicate so I don't think your eyes are deceiving you. It more regularly is the silver/gray in appearance and I have found it to stay looking very clean even when its not which was an important reason I did not go for a darker color. The opulent blue that others have is beautiful too but is a bit too close to our blue 04 MDX so I wanted to have some difference between the two.
  • shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    Acuraphile, your Lakeshore Silver is indeed an extraordinarily handsome color! I've got the OBP but would spring for a LS in a heartbeat! The LS is a very classy and rare color - congratulations on your choice. You know, I almost believe Acura/Honda are using Color-shifting paints on their cars! My Opulent Blue Pearl changes hues in what appears to be an infinite number of ways. Sometimes it looks black, other times it appears to be deep blue, whereas other times it gives off an iridescent purple tint. A writer on another forum had a cute name for it, he called it "blurple". I'm very pleased with my OBP as I'm sure you are with your LS...both very elegant hues.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Does anyone care to "speculate" as to why ACURA would put cooled seats in the RL for Canada but not the US?

I live in north Alabama and I would love to have the cooled seats during the summer.

The cost of having the cooled seats should not be that much because the design work has already been done...so...

I wish they would add them during the 05 model year!!!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    They have to justify why Canadians have to pay about $10K more for essentially the same car.
  • jdhjdh Member Posts: 19
    hendjaz,

Thanks for the advice. I think you are right and I have been satisfied with my verizon service. I will probably stay with the v710 phone but wait till after I get my new car before buying it, therefore getting the newest software available.

Once I receive the car I will post my opinions of my thoughts on it. The dealer was kind enough to let me have it for half a day and I really liked driving it.

I am currently driving a 2002 A6 which I really do like but in my humble opinion the 2005 A6 does not compare to the 2002.

Again, thanks for the helpful input all of you have given to me and I am sure others in the forum.
    haha yeah...except of course pretty much every import car sold here is now priced at a premium when compared directly to the U.S. since our dollar is doing much better these days. I used to be so upset at the price of the RL here and swore off buying one but then I did more research and saw other brands have the exact same price difference so I realized it wasn't a big deal anymore.

I have no clue why they put cooled seats on our RL but not the U.S. model. Makes no sense to me. Guess maybe they figured since we got short changed out of XM and acura link we deserve something.

I will say I am glad I have cooled seats rather than those two features that for me, would be useless. Cooled seats will get used every day by me in the summer...I first experienced cooled seats on my mother's LS430 and since then (2001 model) I have been waiting for cooled seats to be a feature on pretty much every car. To me, cooling the seat is much more valuable than heating it.
  • steven9179steven9179 Member Posts: 36
    acuraphile, have you figured out how,if at all possible, to "set" the door locks so they will unlock after the car is stopped and the trans is in the park position?? this one has me stumped??
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    The Canadian upgrade on cooled seats was discussed before, but I did not realize Acura didn't include XM and Acura Link on those cars. I can see any American living in a very warm climate ie... Arizona, Southern California, etc, would be delighted to get the cooled seat option however we live in the upper mid-west, and maybe I'm wrong but I can't say that I would be using the cool down seat system very often and am a little surprised Canadians would either. But Im sorry that you can't enjoy the XM radio and Acura Link. That seems like a lopsided trade-off, especially for the first year when XM is free. (As for heated seats...been enjoying that option for 5 years and this time of year until April they feel great!)
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    acuraphile, have you figured out how,if at all possible, to "set" the door locks so they will unlock after the car is stopped and the trans is in the park position?? this one has me stumped??

Steven:

The Acura salesman did this for me but I barely had an oipportunity to see exactly what he had done. (Basically, this is described on page 81 and pages 96,97 in the Owner's manual.) With ignition switch on, hold the info button down for more than three seconds...then release. "Customoze Entry" screen appears in the MID in the gauge cluster.Each time you press the info button up or down a new display appears. One display reads:

Door/Window setup. Press the select button. You will come to Auto Door Unlock with choice of "Shift to P" or "Ignition Off." Pick and SELECT. Then scroll again with the Info button until you come to "Door Lock Mode." The choice is DRIVER'S DOOR or ALL DOORS. Pick "All Doors" and SELECT. That should do it. Hope I didn'r mislead you. (Rather than the info button, you may also use the up and down arrows that flank the SELECT button on the steering wheel.)

I drove to a crazy embroidery of streets in a nearby village today where not one street did anything but weave in and out of surrounding streets. I was lost. Deliberately. I just pushed the map-guide, pressed TALK, and said "GO HOME!"

What a pleasure! Worth a $million.

Hope you have some success with the doors.
    yeah I think XM is looking to expand to Canada but haven't yet so that is why it isn't here.

As for cooled seats...come on man, it isn't an igloo in this country.:) The summers get super hot here in Ontario especially in August when temperatures easily hit 30+ Celsius. Plus, cooled seats can be used year around. I've used the cooled seats on the LS430 many times in the winter during long drives. I think is you (and I mean "you" in a general sense) have never used cooled seats you don't know how useful they can be.

I guess to some it'd be a lopsided trade-off but to me I think it is a good one since the cooled seats won't cost a yearly subscription in a year like XM and well, I use other means for my music and in a year's time XM wouldn't even be used by me at all so I would have an option in my car that was useless to me. Obviously for those who use XM it wouldn't be a good trade-off. This is one of those "to each his/her own" type deals.:) Same goes for Acuralink/onstar.
    "To me, cooling the seat is much more valuable than heating it."

I agree. Most guys I know, especially the older ones, have their own natural seat-warming mechanism! :)
    I was looking at the RL while waiting for an oil change today, and noticed that the "dimple" on the door handle is not really a button you can press. When you press on it, it's hard, it doesn't go down. Just wondering if it works by sensing heat, or motion?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    30C is comfortable weather living in the south; at 30C I usually don't turn on my AC.

Having lived up north and now in the south, it really is like night and day (nights are sometimes 30C).

There is a big difference between 40C and 30C...anyway cooled seats are...cool (couldn't resist)
    Because I am retired I spend an inordinate amount of time with my sweetie in this car. The first thing she asked was "Is there any way you can unlock both doors simultaneously...this particularly affected her during some windy days dropping the wind chill way down a couple weeks ago..) so I adjusted that. and now she pushes that heat button on high as soon as she sits down. Then she makes sure the XM is tuned into "Sunny" It's like clockwork. I enjoy dropping her off now at a Target or Wallmart and I just sit and fiddle with all the "stuff" Have the sound system all tuned to the right levels for my ear, adjusting every speaker etc... It really is enjoyable.
  • rlownerrlowner Member Posts: 12
    my new 2005 RL suffered the same problem, nav traffic working for a couple of days after i got the car then stopping for good. yes, the icons are all set to on for nav traffic. no road flow or accident information is displayed for me here in DC.

the dealer tried 'rebooting' it today by pulling the battery cable to reset everything. i then had XM refresh the nav. all to no avail.

anyone seen an answer to this one yet?
  • rlownerrlowner Member Posts: 12
    i tried the fuse removal as well, but nav traffic didnt come back.
  • steven9179steven9179 Member Posts: 36
    acuraphile, thank you for your help, it was very annoying to me and it seemed logical that a fix had to be available. It's now history!!

I also have LS (with taupe interior)just love the car, the toys and BTW receive many compliments. It's a fantastic car, great value for the money;and I really could care less about its "badge"---I'll go for the value

Enjoy yours as I do mine, and Thank You again, hope I can reciprocate sometime

Steve
    Rlowner,

Suggest you have the xm box in the trunk replaced. See prior posts at 4617, 4750 and elsewhere throughout this forum for more detailed discussion, but replacing the xm box at the dealer should address this.
  • aclcaclc Member Posts: 20
    My dealer said that Acura techline is aware of the problem, but do not have a fix yet. Has anyone with this problem had their xm box replaced with resolution of this problem?
  • dcwong1dcwong1 Member Posts: 54
    I've seen the new RL and am just finished the review in C&D. As an owner of an '88 Legend, I was curious why Acura didn't put in a DOHC instead of a SOHC. SOHC probably is cheaper to build and is probably an off-shoot of the TL's engine, which saves on R&D work. Is 300 HP the max Acura wants to go before there is a lot of torque steer even with the AWD?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    SOHC layout is less complex, packaged smaller and lighter than comparable DOHC. In case of Honda, the SOHC V6 is getting the job done of comparable DOHC V6s and then some, so there is no point to add two additional cams for the sake of doing it.

It would be rare for any company to not share engine family (or engines themselves) in this class of vehicles, and Acura is doing the same. TL's 3.2 is similar to RL's 3.5 in that they belong to the same family of engines.

At this time, there is little to worry about torque steer in RL, given that it is AWD, and with rear biased power distribution under heavy acceleration. Neglecting drive train losses and not considering gearing, each (front) wheel in TL gets 139 lb.-ft at peak compared to just 52 lb.-ft in RL (under heavy straight line throttle). So, even 600-700 lb.-ft engine in RL could do just fine.

Even in TL, some torque steer has been noted with aggressive use of throttle with manual transmission (not automatic since gearing is shorter with somewhat greater losses).
    Robert, Since I am still in RL 101 and a 1st time owner it's always enlightening to read your posts. I have dubbed you (Dr RL).
  • lvdhlvdh Member Posts: 29
    I took delivery of my 2005 RL 5 days ago and didn't get 10 miles from the dealership when the check SH-AWD warning light lit up along with the check VSA warning light and the car had virtually no accelaration whatsoever. These same warning lights came on 6-7 times in the last 5 days, including, 3-4 times today

The car went into the Acura dealership's service department 10 hours after purchase and, based on that the dealership gave me two different explanations, one being that the battery was low, that dealership clearly does not have a clue as to what's going on.

Also, today, the entire "navagation" screen (and all of the car's internal functions thereon) and the voice activated control system (activated by the button on the steering wheel) did not work. The "navigation" screen remained stuck in its initial "galaxy" position as shown when the ignition is started and the subsequent screen to activate the system never appeared.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? I have read #4615 and those who replied and wonder whether I am experiencing the same problem or a different problem? In that discussion there was reference to the SH-AWD "locking up." What does it mean to say "locking up?"

Has anyone else experienced the same problems I have described herein, and if so, did Acura resolve your cars problems, and if so, what did Acura do (or tell you they did) to resolve your problem.
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    LVDH, read post 4620, that explains the reason at that time anyway. I did some research and followed the trail back around 4615 back at the time and 4620 lays it out correctly...Good luck, no fun taking delivery of a 50K car and going through what you are....
  • larry6larry6 Member Posts: 26
    I sent this out in early November....but if you are having trouble with the rear differential it is possible that it was overlooked by Acura and the Dealer before delivery. After reading about SH-SWD problem on this forum and the Acuraworld forum, I called the Acura Company's customer service number (800 382-2238 select option 3) yesterday to ask about the problem. I received a call back from a fellow from the technical service department who acknowledged that 'yes' there has been a problem with a FEW of the 05RLs 'rear differential' due to an occassional failure at the factory to properly fill the rear differential with sufficient fluid. Dealers were asked to rectify this problem by checking these fluid levels and further, that new vehicles are being checked now even before they arrive at the dealer. Thus, the problem does not seem to be a major glitch with the design of the differential system and I continue to look forward to the arrival of our 05RL. If others of you have different or additional information about this problem or others, please don't hesitate to inform the rest of us.
    Thanks for your reply Larry. I did see your post from early November. Did filling the rear differential with a sufficient amount of fluid completely resolve your problem? That which I described as happening to my 2005 RL, is that the exact same problem and warning lights you experienced? Thanks for your input.
    I DON'T BELIEVE LARRY Personally WENT THROUGH THE SH AWD PROBLEM but I remember reading his posting #4620 and mentioning it to my dealer and the service manager told me that our dealership in Brookfield, Wi. was checking the fluid level in every new RL delivered due to this problem. I sincerely hope they are able to completely repair your vehicle or replace it!! If they repair it to your satisfaction ask for an extended warranty coverage to 100,000 miles.
  • monokmonok Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone paid an installation cost for the accessories? That is a cost in addition to the cost of the accessories?
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    What would they be for "installing" floor mats in the car? Or the tub in the trunk? Or removing one nut from each wheel and replacing them with the wheel locks?

These items do not require special expertise.
    Oh, you'd be surprised. You wouldn't want the right floor mat on the left, and the right mat on the left.... :)
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Big bucks charged for the installation of the wood steering wheel and the wood shifter knob. Standard features on the competition. Interested to see if Acura is giving any customers credit for the OEM wheel and knob when they do the upgrade.
    Why would they give a credtit?

How much is the labour for installing the wood wheel and shifter anyway? If it is more than say 20 bucks then that seems a little tacky to me.

Al I know is I am glad the car came with an all leather wheel. Wood wheels just dont do it for me. a wood shifter would be nice but I dont like the little acura logo at the tob of the wood one they offer. Maybe I'll get an after market shift knob.
    The spoiler for my daughter's '03 RSX was quoted at $587 ....... installed! A more substantial spoiler than the one on the '05 RL which is somewhere around $800-900 for just the part.

The replacement cost of the spoiler on the '93 Integra LS Special Edition was quoted at $900 for the part.
    "Has anyone with this problem had their xm box replaced with resolution of this problem? "

In reference to replacing the XM box in the trunk resolving the absence of accuralink and navtraffic service, yes I have had that experience myself. Had the box replaced (at no cost to me) about 2 months ago and have acuralink and navtraffic service since then without a problem. I believe there was another poster in this forum some time ago with the same remedy and cure.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Guess taking off and installing a new steering wheel takes several hours @ $100/hr. Then they are getting a never used wheel that should have some value (credit).
  • adam_kelleyadam_kelley Member Posts: 24
    Is there any way to know if you are actually receiving traffic info when there happens to be no traffic accidents/delays/flow info displayed? I live in the NYC area (Westchester County) and am amazed that at times I see no traffic info. This part of the country, there usually is always a delay. So my question really is, other than verifying that the "Show Traffic Icon" is highlighted, is there any other way to confirm that you're receiving the signal even though there may not be anything to show? Do I have a faulty XM unit that needs to be replaced? My XM radio has never gone in and out (except in all concrete parking garages).

Anyone else in the NYC area experience days one there are no traffic delays? Seems inconceivable to me...
    if I got the wood wheel I would tell them I wanted my old wheel...I'd mount it on the wall or something.:)
  • malibuflyermalibuflyer Member Posts: 8
    Similar to others who have posted here my real time traffic stopped working after I had the car a month. I have been back to the dealer twice and the issue is still not resolved. The first time they simply "reset" the system [like rebooting a computer?]and said the problem was fixed. However, the traffic info never showed up. I brought the car in again and their diagnosis was that the XM radio was not communicating with the Navi, i.e. part of the XM system in the trunk needs to be replaced. Of course they don't have the part on hand and I will need to come back for a third time to have it fixed [unsure when they will be able to get the part, not likely in time to fix before Christmas].

The level of service from my dealer is upsetting. I understand that as an 'early adaptor' of all the new technology in the RL, I was risking some technical problems but to have to give up my car three times to fix it is unacceptable and not what I have come to expect from Acura. It is particularly bothersome as I will be taking a long car trip over the holidays and was looking forward to having this feature. Traffic in Los Angeles is always bad and being able to plan an alternate route is a great feature. Now it is just like a big tease.
    Similar to others who have posted here my real time traffic stopped working after I had the car a month. I have been back to the dealer twice and the issue is still not resolved. The first time they simply "reset" the system [like rebooting a computer?]and said the problem was fixed. However, the traffic info never showed up. I brought the car in again and their diagnosis was that the XM radio was not communicating with the Navi, i.e. part of the XM system in the trunk needs to be replaced. Of course they don't have the part on hand and I will need to come back for a third time to have it fixed [unsure when they will be able to get the part, not likely in time to fix before Christmas].

The level of service from my dealer is upsetting. I understand that as an 'early adaptor' of all the new technology in the RL, I was risking some technical problems but to have to give up my car three times to fix it is unacceptable and not what I have come to expect from Acura. It is particularly bothersome as I will be taking a long car trip over the holidays and was looking forward to having this feature. Traffic in Los Angeles is always bad and being able to plan an alternate route is a great feature. Now it is just like a big tease.
  • bghormbghorm Member Posts: 7
    Malibuflyer:

You wouldn't be referring to Santa Monic Acura, would you? I am having the same problem with my TrafficNav, left it for two days... they said it was fixed, but it still doesn't work. Now I am waiting to hear back. Otherwise, I love the car.
    Those items belong to the buyers and there's no reason that the dealers should retain them. That's akin to STEALING! If the dealers want to retain them, they ought to PAY for them by outright purchases or a fair trade-in allowance. I don't buy any claims that their prices INCLUDE an invisible trade-in allowance.

I have seen Acura rims on Honda Accords and Civics. I'll bet that those rims weren't given away .......
    Malibuflyer,

I would recommend that you contact Acura customer service (Acuracare or something like that) about your continued problems and absence of a solution at your dealer. I did that right away even though the dealer was being responsive so that nationally Acura would be aware of the navtraffic problem some of us have had. The customer service folks were very responsive and kept in contact with the dealer to make sure the problem was addressed. The dealer had to order a new XM box but it only took a day or two to arrive and it was installed while I waited about an hour or so. The customer service folks offered an additional accessory to compensate for the number of trips to the dealer to troubleshoot the problem before they elected to replace the box completely. In my experience it helped to have Big Acura looking over the sholder of the dealer to make sure that the problem was solved and I was a happy customer. I was and still am a happy customer and love the RL.
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    I will join JJ in congratulating you on your outstanding knowledge in the automotive field.

I would alsolike to ask you and other poster about the present choice of tyres for the RL.

Does anyone have experience of 'playing' on snowy roads.

Is it you JJ that live north of me in Wisconsin? Have you had a run at it?

I am asking because I am left with the impression that this being a great car (love the ACE improvements that resulted in those 5 stars across the board, and looking forward to see the IIHS tests) it is not done full justice with having mated the SH-AWD with middle of the road tyres.

My perspective is that in northern climates snow/icy roads is a factor and the SH-AWD could add ton of safety in those conditions if the tyres were more 'competent'.

Has anyone changed tyres btw (and tested the car driving on snow covered roads?

Thank you very much for your answers!

Truly,

Steve
  • larrykalarryka Member Posts: 9
    Hi Adam -

You can try the "display traffic list" voice command. It should give you a scrollable, text based list of the traffic incidents that the system knows about within a 30 mile radius. If there are no known incidents within that radius it will state that. It's not a definitive check of the system, but it might give you some more information. It works down here in the DC area where occasionally the map is zoomed too far in to see any of the traffic icons.

There also might be a traffic subsystem check in the diagnostic menus for the navi, but I don't recall. You can look around by pressing the "MAP/GUIDE", "CANCEL" and "MENU" buttons all at the same time for three seconds or so. Just be careful not to change any settings in there that you're not sure of.

- Lawrence
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    My phone rings, it is my wife on the other end. "Hello," I say, "where are you?" not recognizing any number I know she would be calling from on my caller-id -- "I'm at the Audi store."

The conversation might be kinda boring for y'all but the gist of it is, my wife's key fob battery died and when this kind of thing happens the dealer likes you to bring both fobs in, replace the batteries and reprogram the key to the car. Not a difficult process, about 15 - 20 minutes including paperwork (and it is free with the Audi Advantage).

My wife knows I am keen to test drive the Acura RL and the Chrysler 300C AWD (or SRT-8 AWD version). She knows, since she has been with me, that arranging the test drives has been a bit problematic due to the popularity and scarcity of the new RL and the total scarcity of the AWD 300C.

She wore herself and me down test driving cars for over 6 months (it was fun at first) -- and finally placed a "conditional" or soft order for the new 2005.5 Audi A4 6spd 2.0T with every possible option (after 3 TT's she needed something bigger).

The only car that even came close was the Acura TL and one of the test drives of the stick shift version was on a rainy day and the torque steer darned near "killed us" it was so violent. Not so in even an Audi S4.

But I digress (so what else is new?)

Her call to me today was from the office and desk of our 150 year old, 40 of them selling us Audis, car salesman, who has Tuesday's off. The general manager told her she could use his office to make phone calls, do some paperwork (she is a lawyer) and catch up on emails (on her BlackBerry) etc.

They brought her coffee, bottled water and offered her fruit or pastry. They "fixed" the car, washed it and made her feel like she had moved into a 5 star hotel.

After some 27 Audis ALL from the SAME place, since 1977, her point was "we'll sure as heck never get this kind of treatment from a Chrysler dealer and even though the Acura guys 'get it' -- our ownership and loyalty 'perks' are NOT going to be transferred to the Acura dealership." She continued, "they'd practically have to give us the RL to make up for the red carpet treatment we receive from Audi -- I mean, I walk in here and the service tech, service writers, service manager, office manager, sales manager, lot tech and sales people treat me like a long lost, loved cousin."

"You must be nuts to even want to consider another brand."

I must admit, I am starting to wonder if she may be right -- and then I just now am starting to see a hint of some (not much) issues some people are having with their new cars. Now, none of the issues I have seen seem to be outside the norm or outside the norm of a brand new model.

But, going to our current and long term dealer (and brand) reminds me of my freshman year in college (the only year I lived in a dorm). We didn't lock our doors, in fact we often kept them open and we walked in and out of each other's rooms and made ourselves at home. "Hey can I borrow some shampoo, toothpaste, whatever. . ." "I have the new fill in group name here album, wanna borrow it?"

I am wondering just how great this Acura OR ANY vehicle would have to be to offset the loss of the "long time, long term," "privileges and perks."

My mind, I keep telling myself, is NOT made up -- but my attorney wife may have just won another case. Uh oh, here comes the jury.

I must be weak -- I am certainly weakening.

Burma!
    bghorm ---

You guessed correct -- Santa Monica Acura.

I have already 'opened' a Case with Acura Client Services but called again today to let them know of my lack of progress.
  • bghormbghorm Member Posts: 7
    Malibu:

I have done the same with client services and should hear back from them today or tomorrow. Otherwise, the car has been great... but I want it perfect. With two of us registered with CS complaining of the same problem, I am hopeful we will get satisfaction.
  • safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    You describe one of the advantages that I used to improve my deal when I got my A6. I loved driving the RL, and I made it point-blank clear that the Audi folks had the choice of keeping a 20+ year customer happy (between me, my parents, and wife), or losing a long-term customer to another brand.
    My RL is still at the Acura dealership's service department and has been their since Sunday evening. Acura has not been able to solve the problem with the SH-AWD and VSA warning light going on in my RL or the lack of acceleration when these warning lights go on. The dealership's service manager told me that the SH-AWD and VSA problems that my vehicle is experiencing has absolutely nothing to do with the fluid levels in the rear differential (as my levels were full) and that it was not safe for the vehicle to be driven with these problems. So I purchased a 2005 RL on the evening of 12/16/04, and since then its been in Acura's service department twice and basically I have not been in possession of or driven the vehicle. How ridiculous is that! The service manager did say. however, that their were six 2005 RL's "in the area" that experienced SH-AWD problems due to low levels in the rear differential. When I discussed this low fluid issue with Acura client services, they denied that they were aware of this issue. Perhaps Acura is not being forthright with its customers.