Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..with 87 $2.15 to 2.39...keeps our 2k manual shift V-6 SE from being traded. 780 miles (Stockton to LA/Rtn) on 24.581 gallons.

Anyone even get close to that? holidays best, ez..
  • sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    Is there a way to leave the car ('05 SLE Conv) with just the parking lights on? My Subaru has a separate switch that allows this, but I could find nothing in the owner's manual that describes this function.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Why is that? Are there major changes planned?

http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.asp
  • miltmilt Member Posts: 14
    My Michelin's are done and I need to replace them. I got about 70,000km on them which was a bit of a disappoitment. Ride was fine when new but got a bit harsh and noisy towards the end. I have seperate winter tires so replacements don't need to cover our winter driving. So far I am looking at the Bridgestone - Potenza or Turanza; Kumho Ecsta or the Toyo. The Kumho's seem to be best value for the money. Any suggestions, experiences would be appreciated.
  • wifeywifey Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2005 Solara Convertible SLE, all options except nav, for $1500 below MSRP - I had hoped to negotiate down a bit more, but didn't have any luck with the dealer. I am in Ohio, and was hoping the weather would have worked in my favor. But - this was the only convertible on a lot in the city - other dealers were not expecting one in for weeks. I had been internet shopping and stopping by the dealerships during the fall - availability has consistently been very limited. I absolutely LOVE this car. No regrets on price. It handles great, even on the icy roads we woke up to this morning. Can't wait to put the top down....
  • silversolarasilversolara Member Posts: 113
    2000 SE here. i've pretty much always replaced with the same Bridgestone Potenzas. never really pushed my car, and driving in the Philadelphia area must not be anywhere near as hazardous as winter in Canada... wish i could be more helpful
  • orly3orly3 Member Posts: 2
    Last year here in the Eastcoast, with barely 200mi on my 2004 Solara SE, my 17" Bridgestone Turanza EL42 front tire got bruised probably from a pothole. I did not get reimbursement from Bridgestone. That experience did not sit well with me and I consequently lost a bit of confidence both with the tire maker and the quality of the tire itself. It has been smooth sailing eversince but I don't know if I would stay with the same brand when replacement time comes. Goodluck!
  • lfmlfm Member Posts: 35
    There are many dealers out there, especially in the mid atlantic states that will gladly sell you a Conv. for $1,800 to $2,200 off MSRP without any dealer add-ons. Shop a little harder. These prices can be found on both the internet and in newspaper ads. Good Luck
    I have owned 6 Conv'ts from 1958 to 2004. A Conv't can't have a drain line in the roof like a coupe or sedan have. It is one of the penalties you pay for with the ability to drive around with the top down on all those beautiful Days!!!!!!!!!!
  • jsteele159jsteele159 Member Posts: 2
    We recently purchased an 05 Solara V6 and have noticed that if you don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign or yield, that when you step back on the gas, the engine revs up a little bit and then then car will jerk forward when it finally gets in the right gear. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem and has had any luck getting it fixed. Our dealer keeps telling us that this is normal.
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    My 04 did that once when it was new but since then has not done it at all.Give it some time to adjust to your driving habits.I'm not to thrilled about the drive by wire in this car as it can be kind of sluggish to react in some situations.
  • theflowtheflow Member Posts: 98
    It happens to me all the time, together with the hesitation issue. Check out the "hesitation" discussion in the Highlander Problems & Solution board and Lexus ES 330 Problems & Solution board. These cars have the same engine and transmission as the Solara V6.

Also, enjoy the following articles:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04343/423383.stm

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/04345/424551.stm
    ..while seemingly a well-intentioned improvement for the ever-growing pool of shiftless folk....

may simultaneously underscore the positive aspects of those who have chosen to shift their Solara V-6/I-4 for themselves.

The manual shift '99 - '02 V-6 Solara seems a real secret: extremely fuel efficient (top two gears are overdrives) and quite user friendly......shift effort/lack of notch factor.

RIP: In 2003, Toyota pulled the V-6 manual shift option. Cars with clutches? Not for most...ez
  • jsteele159jsteele159 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for replying to my message about the hesitation issue on our Solara. I have looked through the previous posts about this topic on this website. It makes me feel better that other people are having problems, and maybe Toyota will realize this and get something changed. On the other hand, it makes me mad that I didn't look at this site before we bought the car about 3 months ago. If you find out anything new, or get the problem fixed, please post it on this site. Good luck to everyone with this problem. Thanks.
  • earlgrey_44earlgrey_44 Member Posts: 21
    Just put the Faulken 512's on the 02 SLE.

Noteably softer and somewhat quieter ride than the OEM Potenzas. Handle nicely and are very much more sticky on curves and in the rain. Top rated by CU for stopping distance, including on ice.

Cheap too. What's not to like?
  • trekrider1trekrider1 Member Posts: 9
    Anybody having problems with rattling noise from the rear package shelf, center mounted break light? Every time I go over a small bump, my 2004 SLE rattles like crazy. Annoying big time. Trying to isolate source to figure out a fix.
    There is a TSB issued for that problem. Ask the dealer about the TSB.
  • j.tullj.tull Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

The keyless entry in my 2002 Toyota Solara 4 cyl. suddenly stopped working. I replaced the battery in both my key fobs, but this didn't fix it.

Took to dealership while away on holiday break; they assumed it was a programming issue; after an hour, they said it was not a programming issue, and would have to look further into problem; I declined, and haven't done anything further.

The owner's manual doesn't go into any detail on diagnosing this kind of problem. Any ideas??

Thanks a bunch.
  • kwinsteadkwinstead Member Posts: 4
    Hey, I am new here and I have a question. I own a 2005 Solara convertabile. I have a horrible sulfer smell everytime I accelerate. I am trying to see if anyone else has this problem. I feel I am getting the run around from my dealer. They are basically tellimg me they can't do anything. I am going to the owner of my dealership tomorrow to see what else can be done.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like the catalytic is being overloaded with too rich a fuel mixture. They should scan the engine and see what's up.
  • fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Looking forward to buy a new car, and am considering Solara as one of the options - but should say, that though Toyota's reputations, on any Toyota forum people are really complayning a lot about their Toyotas, be them Solaras, Camry's, 4Runners, etc. - from the pulling to the side, to tranny slipping and zillion of other problems? How come? Never owned a Toyota. But being Ford owner, I can say that there is defenitely much, much less complains on Explorer or Grand Marquis forum. Being Honda owner, can say, that Accords quality is much lower as Fords - 7 month with Accord = 4 transmission replacement. Constant problems with sensors. May be it's just mine ($30,000) car? Still, on Honda's forums people complain less than on Toyota's. Can somebody enlighten me - what's going on? Toyota gets good rap it doesn't deserve or you people are just too difficult?
    ?

what complaints? since december 1st, this forum has addressed 2 probs, for different models.

you must be one lucky ford owner; all of my auto enthusiast friends have swerved me from buying one (ok - they're Mopar gearheadz, but...) what about the 5 recalls on the 2001-2003 explorer - no complaints about that? or ford hiding the explorer/firestone tire problem? and what about the 15 class action suits (2004) against ford for the crown vic (grand marquis) collision fires?

a: test drive as many different vehicles as possible. check out their respective forums.

b: perhaps you haven't read most of the threads in this forum? lately, it's just peeps asking about which tires to use.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    Currently have 2 Toyotas - 1999 Solara SLE V6 coupe and 2004 RAV4. Have had 3 others previously. Every one has been a quality vehicle and we have had zero problems with any of them. These type of sites tend to attract the "complainers" and not the ppl who are happy with their vehicles.
    with the price of $28,000. Fully loaded - leather, moonroof. Told dealer will buy it from him for 22G. they tried to sell me car on the same day. What is the right price for the car? Is 22 too much? can I get them down ot less?
  • jsvanguyjsvanguy Member Posts: 14
    Just took delivery of a 2005 Solara SE Sport. The brochure at the dealership stated that the leather package included heated leather seats.

It turns out thats a mis-print, the leather seats do not come with heat.

My local dealing is checking with the factory to see what they will be willing to do.

Any thoughts on this?
    sounds like a heckuva deal to me. then again:

is it the color you want? what other cars did you counter-shop? what were your impressions from the test drive? shoot for the moon, and try a $22K pricetag for a convertible...

make sure you read the Edmund's guide for buying a car - don't want any 'mystery' charges popping onto the final tally...
    Color is silver metallic - I am OK with that.

No, I didn't cross-shop. And '04's are barely left.

They don't have '04 convertibles, and honestly, I don't want one. The car is for my wife, and we are in NY, she is not type of a person to take additional care of convertable in NY - avoid bumps, be on constant watch for the weather, not to park car where it shouldn't be parked, live with the huge blind spots, etc.

I'll defenitely not let them to sell me paint protection, windows etching, etc.

Did you test the new V6 Accord also/ How different are the cars?
    actually, it's my wife who has the Accord V6 (2003 model). she has all the upgrades (heated auto leather seats, 6 CD stereo, side curtain airbags, etc) I really enjoy it's 240 hp engine (auto tranny), and from the driver position, it feels like an enthusiast's car (feels like the interior is a wee bit smaller).

but...

my stock JBL stereo sounds MUCH better, my moonroof seems bigger, and I have a cavernous trunk compared to the Accord.

I would recommend taking your prospective Solara up to 65-70 mph for about 5 mins, and listen to the car at this speed - see if anything rattles/vibrates.

fsv - hope this helps, and good luck in your search for a new car!
    I own Accord 02 EX V6 top of the line and am looking to replace this car, since the lease is running out. I got to be one of many who had to replace (3) trannies on Accord - you might be familiar with transmission problems Accord had. I would like to migrate to a more luxurious car, and Solara fits the bill. I just need to know what is the fair price for '04 V6 SLE - everything except Navigation. Dealer wants 23G, I am not ready to pay 22G's when I get up and leave, they, they grab my arm and are trying to talk me into further talking, so, I guess, we are close. Is 22g reasonable or I could get a better deal?
    Have an '04 and have the same problem. Checked and there is no TSB on the V6, but there is one on the 4cyl coupe. Dealer tells me that it is normal. It only happens when I accelerate fairly quickly.
    I have the 2005 Solara sport convertable and my seats are leather with heat. So don't know what the deal is
    They have done that. They are telling me it is the governments fault for not cleaning the sulfer out of the gasoline as promised. What a riot. All systems have checked out good.
    Yes, same here. But I accelerate quickly a lot during the day. I am in the car alot. I also cannot see during the summer having a sewer smell well the top is down. I am very unhappy. They say it is only 2004 and 2005 toyotas that do this. Not a very good thing. I don't think when it comes to selling this car anyone will want to buy a stinky car.
    i bought my manual tranny SE V-6 for $23K in 2000, and when I posted this initially when I bought it, most opinions were that I got a good deal - so i think your offer of $22K for an '04 SLE is a BARGAIN.

y'know, i don't think i read... did your wife like the car? and how many miles are on it?

come to think of it, the Accord DID get brought back to the dealer for the tranny fix - done at no cost.
    she only wants the price to be lower. The car has less than 50 miles. I have hard time to believe it will fall under $21G. But, she knows I get best deals out there, and want's me to do, I am afraid, impossible. I got fully loaded Accord lease for 319.oo for 39 month - with 15,000 miles/year, $0 down, NY taxes included, free oil changes for lease duration, replacement car, something else. Replacement car option was the best thing during this lease - first few month I drove Saturn half the time - Accord was in the dealer's shop. This is the reason I don't want Honda - I just don't want it. I even caught myself on the thought, that while shopping for a bike (am looking for a cruiser) I am not looking at Hondas though they are the most comfortable and fit me the best.

Not that Honda cars are worse than Toyotas - that remains for me to be discovered, but at the moment Honda for me second to Yugo.

Incedently, when you got your SE V-6 for $23K in 2000 - this price was with the tax and destination charge?
    ... well, really sorry to hear you had a bad time with your honda - but my gearhead friends kept reminding me when i was car-buying that ANY car made by a human can have problems. my friends who have Hondas have had very little bad experience with them.

as for buying my 2K Solara: $23K tax/tags out the door - the salesman was an old employer of mine. i just happened onto his lot by happy accident. i made sure he got $500 for himself, and that was it.
  • pamelaannepamelaanne Member Posts: 1
    Hi ... this is very timely for me!! thank you!

I am in the process of buying a 2005 Solara convertible and just have a couple of concerns re: winter driving (I am in Ontario, Canada) and the rear blind spot. The dealer has "assured me" that I will quickly adjust to the blind spot. Since you and so many others also live in areas with ice and snow in the winter months, I would REALLY appreciate some input re: winter driving and rear vision.

Pam
  • sjbrodysjbrody Member Posts: 39
    We (really, my wife!) bought a Solara convertible in November, knowing full well the rear visibility problem. We have had a fair amount of snow here in New Hampshire but have had no problem driving. You just have to be aware of the blind spots and be careful. We also put on 4 Bridgestone Bizzarks and have had very good traction.

Spencer
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Like Rbleland said, many people come on these forums to complain about their vehicles and we don't always hear from the people that have no problems. Toyotas are great vehicles and I'm sure that you'd make a good buy. Unfortunately, lemons exist in every brand, and that also includes Toyotas at times. Test drive your car and make sure that it lives up to your expectations.

As for Grand Marquis forums receiving fewer complaints, well there's a good reason for that--nobody drives them! I rarely see anybody drive those cars these days. As a personal opinion, I would also steer far away with Fords, and if you wish to buy domestic, take a look at GM's offerings (I really like the G6) or Chrysler's 300.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do!
  • curlyqcurlyq Member Posts: 54
    Hi All:

I am getting ready to trade-in or sell my 2000 SE. I just test drove the 2005 SE Sport and Liked it. If some of you would be kind enough to comment on your experiences with the Sport, pro and con, it would be greatly appreciated. I am especially concerned about paint chipping, which my 2000 SE was prone to. Thanks for your help!

CurlyQ in Chitown
  • artbcpaartbcpa Member Posts: 4
    I have owned my Solara SLE V6 for a little over two months (less than 2,000 miles) when it was involved in a one car "accident". It actually hit the curb in the rain at 15MPH. The MSRP on the car was $28,071. I have gotten quotes to repair from $6,500 to $12,400. But the dealer say he will give me only $4,000 in trade to buy a new one. Has anyone checked the 2005 Consumers Reports for their most recent estimate of the Solara's integrity and suspension? It stinks.
    We have owned a Solara since late 1999 and it has been one of most trouble-free and all-around better cars we have owned. I don't understand the above post at all. You hit the curb at 15mph and messed up the suspension, I assume? Trade-in value of only $4,000? What are we missing here? And, yes, I've checked Consumer's Reports for past histories and the Solara comes off very well - there are zero black marks from 1999 to 2004. Your comment on "Solara's integrity and suspension? It stinks." makes no sense. What's the real story here?? It's sure not as posted above IMO.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Anyone got good pics of Solara in Arctic Frost Pearl? I couldn't find one in the brochure or at Toyota web site. As the 2006 Solara is arriving at the dealers very soon, any changes in exterior/interior colors?
  • artbcpaartbcpa Member Posts: 4
    This is my third Toyota (2 Lexuses and the Solara) so I have no hidden agenda. If you read this month's Consumer Reports (April 2005 Page 92), you will clearly see that the Solara was downgraded to average reliability for the 2004 model with a predicted reliability for 2005 showing no improvement. Both the suspension and body integrity are shown as problem areas.

If you can't understand how a 15 MPH hour "collision" with a curb can cause damage equal to one-half the price of the car, neither can I. My 16 year-old daughter was practicing for her driver's test with my Lexus and must have hit the curb a dozen or more times and didn't even knock the wheels out of alignment.

I'm happy you have had a wonderful experience with your Toyota. But if you read the rest of the reviews, you will see that the reliability Toyota was known for has become a problem on the 2004 and 2005 Toyota Solara.
    Using the words "It stinks" and "Big Problem" to describe the downgrade from a solid red dot to a half-red dot is hardly appropriate. Reliability of current Solaras is still way above average. I fail to see how reliability has become a problem on the 2004 and 2005 Toyota Solaras.

But whatever, maybe your daughter should use a driving school car to practise her driving since it seems to have caused so much damage to your Solara. You are entitled to your opinion, but the facts in this case do not support it.
    ....when my turbocharged '89 Supra was deemed a total loss by USAA, I took the money, added some of my own and drove a manual shift SE-V6 home.

That was 72k, 5 years and $800 (tires, 30/60 + 7.5k oil chgs) ago.....

(CU just sent me the Annual Auto Issue: I see a plethora of solid red dots...........) best, ez
    hi guys!
    Kelley Blue Book on my 2000 SE V-6 with 84K miles (paint chips, new battery & tires) is about $5600 - artbcpa - run that by your dealer.
    if he stonewalls, try another dealership.

hit the curb in the rain? didn't the ABS kick in? how many body shops did you go to for an estimate? this is the 'regular' SLE coupe, right? not the convertible?

yeah, i'm looking at the April '05 CR ish right now - body integrity down to average, with the overall prediction for '05 Solaras as the same.
    the suspension downgrade? i'll refer to rbleland...

i've been posting/reviewing this particular forum since 1999: if anyone with the 2nd gen Solara has complained about its body integrity, it's news to me - then again, i don't check the SLE convertible forum...

as for the reviews:
    Car & Driver liked the 2nd gen when it debuted in 2003.

motor trend's article on the convertible for 2004 was favorable.

MSN's Ann Job & Dan Jedlicka reviews were VERY favorable for the 2004 model.

Ed Alterman's review for the 2004 Solara in Automobile mag practically puts the thing on a pedestal.

my opinion: the 2nd gen Solara felt downright Buick-ish to me - solid but boring. that's why when i trade mine in this year, i will finally fulfill my wish to be the next Colin McRae by buying a WRX.
  • justin5justin5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 lexus ES330 which I am selling. I had a 2003 ES300 and Lexus took it back and replaced it with the ES330 on a lease. I am going thru a mid life crises and saw a solara conv. and fell in love. It fills a need of the sport and has a trunk that I can use for business. I did not feel the hesitation on the solara. I am lookinga the blue with black top and grey inter slv6 with nav. I think i was quoted a pretty good price $29700. How do you like the car otherwise.
    to rbleland, ez, shifty, cliff, ral, etc. - it's been great chatting on this forum. i pick up my WRX today. i really enjoyed my car, and it's done nothing but give me an exemplary ride wherever i needed to go, with practically no hassles.

a word to the wise: if you think you've grown up, and don't feel the need for speed anymore... test-drive a fast/race car before you buy anything. otherwise, a Solara is more than enough car for the average joe...

take care, all
  • nuievenuieve Member Posts: 43
    Is it possible to somehow get a Sport model's bodykit on a SLE? I think that bodykit should have been standard on all models - the car looks much better with it.