Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Acura RL

Comments

• Options
    liyliy Member Posts: 47
    Having test driven the Infiniti M-35x this afternoon - in the rain - I must say that I am mightily impressed with the manner in which this car drives! Where the Acura RL seems to lack low end torque, the Infiniti has it in spades. Where the Audi A6 feels a little rough over bumps and somewhat harsh over less than perfect roadway, the Infiniti handles both with aplomb. (One aspect of the Infiniti that I did not like was the lack of a sixth gear - I think the Infiniti could really benefit from a better transmission).

One of my lasting impressions of the Acura RL was the demo DVD audio disk playing as I drove. The Infiniti seems to match this audio system, and goes one better in that you can play regular dvds with the car at rest, using the glove box mounted dvd nav player (this with the appropriate optional packages). Of course the Audi, doesn't do MP-3's, and, I think, gives up some sound quality to the Infiniti and the Acura.

Each of these vehicles has a variety of neat features, but I think that the Infiniti wins. The one I drove came equiped with "intelligent" key, lane change warning, laser guided cruise control, ventilated seats, and backup camera with a color display - as well as Nav, voice recognition, adaptive xenon headlights and intelligent controls on the dash and steering wheel.

From the exterior, I still prefer the Audi A6. A new destinctive design - love or hate the new grill (I really like it!) - it differentiates itself from the Japanese competetion. I find both the Infiniti and the Acura way too bland; the Infiniti M-35 resembling closely the G-35; and the Acura appearing to me to have a generic look, reminiscent of its Honda cousins (and the rear ends of both resembling the newly introduced Lexus GS-300 AWD).

From the interior feel of the vehicles, I also prefer the Audi. The Infiniti's rosewood, has a thin, metallic feel to it (similar to the wood in the new Mercedes 4-dr coupe). I don't know what process produces this type of veneer, but I prefer the woods in the Audi and Acura to those in the Infiniti. Nor am I a fan of the embroidered Infiniti name and logo on both front seats. While I prefer the interior of the Acura to the Infiniti, I am still having difficulty with the center console - so closely resembling my daughter's Aiwa mini stereo receiver. Fit and finish in the Audi A6 is outstanding - and the available premium leather - e.g., in amaretto - makes for quite a rich looking interior.

My ultimate conclusion is that while I think the Infiniti is the best overall drive of the three, I prefer the look and feel of the Audi. I'd rank the Acura a close third.

IMHO.

LIY
  • Options
    jmatthejmatthe Member Posts: 51
    Thanks, look forward to the pict. So was it working before they did the campaign on that problem? They want to do that to mine, and since I suscribe to the "if is not broke"... philosophy, I am hesitant!
  • Options
    Did you look at the BMW 5 in your evaluation?
  • Options
    liyliy Member Posts: 47
    No I didn't. Right now there is no awd BMW 5.

Nor, do I care for the interior or exterior redesign of this vehicle. (Although, I guess from the distinctiveness angle, the BMW has got to win!).

LIY
  • Options
    jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    LIY

A good subjective report. At this point having purchased an RL I personally love the car, but enjoyed reading your stuff...Gee I wonder if it would be good for me to go out there now and put a subjective microscope on the M-35X and Audi A6.

IMHO...Naw..Acura/Honda has been very very good for me!

JJ
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As many of you know, we are comparing the RL to other vehicles in our Luxury Performance Sedans discussion. That's really where this conversation should continue.

Thanks.
  • Options
    acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    I just received a Product Update from Acura.

There are four potential problems that need to be addressed:

Front Door Speakers

Driver's Door Control Unit

Powertrain Control

AcuraLink Control Unit

Front door speaker gaskets may allow water to enter the passenger compartment.

When you unlock the driver's door by touching the door handle or by pressing the UNLOCK button on the remote, ther exterior and interior lights randomly may not illuminate.

The current programming in your vehicle's powertrain control module (PCM) may cause the engine to shudder the first time you stop the vehicle before the engine is fully warmed up.

After you start the engine inside a structure such as a parking garage, some of the vehicle's communications systems may work eratically, especially the AcuraLink real- time traffic monitor.

I have an appointment to address these issues next week. Anyone else receive this letter today?
  • Options
    socalcardudesocalcardude Member Posts: 6
    I received the letter yesterday coincidentally at the same time that it was at the dealership for servicing of the Powertrain Control Module problem, which I experienced 4 times already (grinding & shudder). As a result of already being there, the service manager performed whatever updates were required.
  • Options
    Acuraphile, Thanks, Will be on the lookout for this mail. By the way...did you ever check out the Chris Botti music? (A trumpet sound, the likes of no other, you can play on those RL speakers!) JJ
  • Options
    malibuflyermalibuflyer Member Posts: 8
    I received the same letter yesterday but I won't be able to get into the dealer for another week or so.

socalcardude.....let us know if you notice any differences after have the updates done.
  • Options
    gnarlygnarly Member Posts: 13
    There are two articles in the March 8, 2005, edition of PC Magazine that give glowing reports on the 2005 RL.

On page 83, columnist Bill Howard calls the RL, "... the latest and perhaps finest example of the marriage of automotive, computing, and entertainment technology." His column ends with "... you won't find a better $50,000 computer on wheels."

On page 152, Mr. Howard reviews various navigation systems, including in-dash, dash-tops, standalone, and PDA software. The Acura RL system is given the highest 5-star rating.

The PC Magazine web site does not post in-print articles until 30 days after publication, so I cannot post pointers at this time, but the articles are worth a read if you are interested in their take on the RL's technology.
  • Options
    rl05pearlrl05pearl Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the update acuraphile. My real-time traffic has not been operational with the different color lines for the last three weeks. I will be watching out for the letter. Please let us know what you find out?
  • Options
    Everything seems to be ok after the software update of the Powertrain Control Module, but I'm experiencing one new "quirk". While driving last night and this morning, the car tried to lock the doors after it had already been locked. It did it twice this morning on my 15 minute commute to work.

Now I don't know if this is specific to the update, but it did start right after I picked up my car from the dealership. I guess we'll find out after other people get the software update.
  • Options
    bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    Wow, you folks must be pretty happy with the service you're receiving from Acura. These service bulletins that actually list the known problems are amazing.

As an owner of an E320, I am envious. Mercedes is never proactive with the service on their cars. When they experience problems they always pretend that they've never seen it before even though it is a well known issue (by anybody that surfs sites such as this).

Regards,

BigRob.
  • Options
    josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    Does the wood steering wheel seem much thinner than the leather one?I was thinking about upgrading mine wheel and wondered if it's worth it thanks
  • Options
    "Wow, you folks must be pretty happy with the service you're receiving from Acura. These service bulletins that actually list the known problems are amazing. As an owner of an E320, I am envious. Mercedes is never proactive with the service on their cars. When they experience problems they always pretend that they've never seen it before even though it is a well known issue (by anybody that surfs sites such as this)"

What a "GREAT TESTIMONIAL" coming from an owner of a Mercedes Luxury car. This is really special for all of us RL owners. I for one appreciate him coming forward.
  • Options
    kacuratkacurat Member Posts: 33
    For the most part only 16-18 miles per gallon, that's with city and highway driving combined in 1 tank of gas. $70 per week in gas to drive my RL.
  • Options
    kacuratkacurat Member Posts: 33
    I just got my wood wheel installed and it does not seem thinner than the leather one. It does however have wierd copper color triming inside of it. My dealer said that they are triming the new RL's with that all around the car. very wierd...
  • Options
    How was the quality of your e320? Which model year? I'm just curious, since both the RL and E320 was on the top of my list last year, until I finally decided to go with the RL.
  • Options
    fredphipsifredphipsi Member Posts: 7
    I just had my wood steering wheel installed today. It was on national back order so I had to wait for it. Driving home, the wheel felt great. It looks awesome and I think it is well worth the extra money to dress up the interior. I have not had it long enough to see if the wood is heated. On my first drive with it, the wood felt colder than the leather section. It's all about the look in my opinion and it looks great. My suggestion: Go for it. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    fredphipsifredphipsi Member Posts: 7
    I drive a mix of expressway and city. I am getting 16.4 mpg consistently. I only have 1200 miles on the car so I am hoping for some improvement after break-in. I have not had a long highway trip to see how much improvement I would get.
  • Options
    bigrobnhbigrobnh Member Posts: 114
    I have a 2001 E320 4matic. It has had quite a few issues. Some due to the vehicle. Most due to the incompetant service department. I've appended details recently to the E320 forum so that I don't bore you folks here.

I do find it interesting that in the luxury performance car discussion (or whatever it is) there is somebody that insists that the quality/reliability of a car is not important (or of minimal importance). They preach that from the minority view as though it is the majority. Their claim is that if that weren't true, everybody would drive toyotas. Guess what, Toyota Camry is the number one selling mid sized car. Honda Accord is number 2. There is a VERY LARGE number of people out there for whom quality and reliablity are important.

Me, I work for a living. I splurged on car that I was in love with. I count on that car to get me to and from work every day. My Mercedes frequently lets me down. I would not buy another.

Regards,

BigRob.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Wouldn't you know it, at the Cincinnati Auto Show, last nite, the Acura RL, The M35x and the GS300AWD were side by side by side.

I got in all three.

Previously I drove for about 1/2 an hour, the M35x.

Impressions: Poshest: Lexus
    Sporty: Infiniti
    Cozy: Acura

These three cars are cut from very similar cloth (they could be second cousins).

Interior Size impressions: Biggest: Lexus
    Smallest: Acura
    Neither: Infiniti

These cars are of similar size, the Acura, however could be called "close" compared with the other two, the Lexus was "generous" (too big for me) in size; the back seat of the Acura a bit cramped and the Infinit would be right down the middle.

Sat nav: cool feature, the moving map was on both the front screen and the back seat screen in the the Infiniti.

Best looking wood: Acura
    Best looking steering wheel: Lexus
    Wood needing improvement: Infiniti

Best standard wheel/tire combo: Infiniti
    Acura
    Lexus

Price: about the same a little more than $50k a little less than $50k. Too close to call on that one.

Most standard features: Acura
    Lowest base price: Infiniti (apparently)

Nicest paint job: Lexus/Inifiniti, tied
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    I'm going to the show either Saturday or Sunday... anything else interesting?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The Zephyr was interesting for a couple of minutes.

You can tell Cincinnati is not on Auto Manufacturer's "A" list -- since we don't get too many concept cars, but we did have more than a few which is more than I can say for the Ft Worth, TX show the last time I went. Must be a pecking order of cities -- and, after all Detroit is just a short 4 hour drive up I-75.

It was a pleasant way to kill 2 hours. The new VW Jetta was interesting and the 05 Phaeton, don't yell at me, still looks like a huge bargain compared to the Audi A8L and the Big Bimmer and Mercedes -- but, yea, I know, it's a vee dub.

The A8L with the 20" aftermarket wheels, speaking of dubs, was really nice.

The Acura RL did have a decent crowd, but the Lexus and the M35x seemed to "steal that side of teh convention center show."

If I were Saab, I would be furious -- they seemed to have a really lame location and display. And, finally, either I missed the 300C SRT-8 from Chyco or there was none in attendance "what were they thinking?" if that is so.

I'd give it a 78, it had a nice beat, easy to dance to, kinda dumb lyics and the B side was only fair. I had free tickets to get in, the Miller beer was cold (but $5.20 a bottle) -- my wife and I had fun. Not worth a second visit, not enough real estate to be covered to give it two trips.

Having said this, if you are near Cincinnati and haven't been to a show in at least 6 months, I would certainly go -- it IS a decent product education and the people that are hangining around the various displays do seem to be the ones who have the most passion for their products. It was refreshing in that aspect.

The Lexus guy knew the horsepower but not the torque -- he said my wife was the first woman EVER to ask that question. MCP methinks!?!
  • Options
    Well.. I might be able to make it down there.. considering I live about 3 miles away ;-)

Acura has always had a pitiful display.. In '03, they didn't even have a TSX, which was going to be in showrooms just five weeks later.. They actually had a used CL on display that year..

Was Saab still next door to Acura, on the south side, next to the concession area? That is a bad spot.. no room.. I think their display is whatever the guys at Just Saab want it to be..

I usually find that 2 hours is enough for the Cincinnati show... I can live without a beer for that long.. especially at those prices...

I think having the Chicago show the same week, keeps us from having any extras... I was amazed that last year, they had the Ford GT, but no new Mustang or Corvette..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "Miller beer was cold (but $5.20 a bottle) "

Did you check th elease price on that beer?
    - Ray
    Who can (clearly) resist anything except temptation . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    jdhjdh Member Posts: 19
    I am picking up my new rl tomorrow and now have to make a decision on a new phone service and new phone. Am looking at the motorola mpx220 with service by cingular. Does anyone have this phone and service and are they compatable with the rl car.

JACK
  • Options
    Too bad you missed the Milwaukee Auto Show...Home of Miller Brewery...MGB was FREE! ;-)
    (PS Pat the Host...Thank you for the e-mail, I appreciate it. You are right!)
  • Options
    Jack, (Congratulations on the new RL) Consider the Motorola V551 It was recommended to me by a trustworthy nephew who works for Motorola. Cingular has a rebate which should net it down to $100. Stay away from Motorola super thin, super expensive Moto Razr V3. I understand it may be too thin...possible wire problems!
    There is a review on the MPX220 on url:
    http://www.gizmodo.com
    Be sure to read all of it.
    Best of luck.
    JJ
  • Options
    Jack congratulations, it is a great car. Really enjoy mine. I am curious as to your rough age.. Intereeted who is buying RL's.
    I have the Sony Emerson 627 (?). it is compatable with the battery, signal strength and call ID readout, but cannot download address book. I would recommend it (cingular/att)
  • Options
    jdhjdh Member Posts: 19
    I will be 66 in march. Still work full time and love driving what I consider a luxury car. Has nothing to do with cost but rather what appeals to me as a driver and the creature comforts that i enjoy in a car.

JACK
  • Options
    Jack, I gave you a URL to click on for that review of the Motorola MPX220 that was incomplete: but I think you should see it, so here goes again:
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/smartphones/motorola/
    JJ
  • Options
    david14david14 Member Posts: 1
    Test drove the RL 2005 yesterday. Beautiful car. Love it. Would prefer to hold off until the '06 arrives. Does anyone know when the 2006 series is released. September/October 2005? or later.
    Thanks
  • Options
    $1.00 a sip, plus tax for 3 sips.

No Acura rep seemed to know the lease price of the RL, but they did volunteer that they almost never see a 36 month lease -- saying the 48 month was the most popular way to acquire this car.

Phaeton rep said the same thing (about the term).
  • Options
    Boy.. the Acura display at the car show was pitiful... They didn't even have a TSX or RSX.. It makes you wonder why they even bother..

I successfully managed to avoid the beer.. although, I did have to buy my son a hot dog.. ;-)

The problem with the car show.. it is so crowded, that you can't get far enough away to really look at the cars..

IMO, the GS300X, M35X and the RL are enough alike in looks and design, that I wouldn't base a buying decision on that factor at all..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yep, my point, something like "they are cut from the same cloth or they're identical cousins" (referencing the Patty Duke show).

The looks of the cars are close enough to not be THE determining factor. The RL, though, does seem on the small side -- for my tastes. I know it must be bigger than the new Audi A4, but not by much speaking as one who sat in the front and back of both. The GS AWD, Lexus and M, Infiniti and A6, Audi by comparison were "generously" sized.

None of these observations and impressions should be taken as a slam against what I am certain is the overall goodness of the new RL -- I am not looking for an argument. I am, however, looking for something -- if possible -- bigger than my perception of the RL's size (@ $50K).
  • Options
    "I am, however, looking for something -- if possible -- bigger than my perception of the RL's size (@ $50K)."

Well, as my wife's favorite "Dr Phil" would say, "Perception is reality". One might perceive the car as being small. I was used to the Pre-2004 TL size and was a little concerned about whether the new RL was going to feel large and heavy around me. The anticipation in the pictures seemed right and when I saw it in person and drove it, everything stayed true to the way I had perceived it. That was my perception and the reality hasn't changed. For me it is a perfect fit...if the car had been any larger I would have never bought it.
  • Options
    kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Went to look at the 2006 GS 300 on Sunday and one of the options listed was ventilated seats...the cost...

only $200!!!

Hope Acura adds these to the RL.
  • Options
    shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    Took my 05’ RL in for the “update” on 18 Feb 05 for the following four items:

1. Front Door Speakers
    2. Driver's Door Control Unit
    3. Powertrain Control Module *
    4. AcuraLink Control

Well, it may be a figment of my imagination, although I think not, but it seems that after the PCM programming change the “shift dynamics” of my 5 speed automatic transmission also changed! Acceleration seems stronger and shifts are more aggressive, precise, and quicker. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

I’ve owned my RL since Oct 14th 2005, and have 7,600 miles on the odometer so I have a good feel for what should be “normal” so I kid you not, when I say, there is a difference.

* Powertrain Control Module (current programming may cause the engine to stumble the first time you stop before the engine is fully warmed up)
  • Options
    shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    ...I’ve owned my RL since Oct 14th 2005...

OK, OK, I meant to say October 2004 - My humble apologies!
  • Options
    Interesting information. I'm printing your post Shotgun. Will bring along when I get my first service sometime in April. Please give us a post on your MPG checks now that you have had this done and the break-in oil changed out!
    JJ
  • Options
    Shotgun:

I want to confirm your perception re improved performance after updates.

The work was done yesterday, and the minute I left the dealership I noted faster getaway; smoother and more powerful. I have good retentive powers and recall the performance well prior to the updates - no comparison. That small "jerk" from get-go is absent...smooth takeoff without hesitation.

JJAcura: Never got to hear Chris Botthi. Saw his website and then got distracted. I'm stuck on Frank's Place....don't need much more! Thanks, though.

George
  • Options
    JJ:

A misunderstanding; I didn't get my first service. Break-in oil not removed. I just had the recall updates done, per the tasks described in the recall letter.

The RL is the third Acura bought at my dealership in Nassau County, NY. I have never had a problem with them. Courteous. Punctual...and friendly. I was given a virtually new RSX loaner yesterday.

I'm bringing the car in tomorrow, again, to have a wood-trimmed steering wheel installed....they gave me a 15% discount. It's really a nice touch.
  • Options
    reallegendreallegend Member Posts: 28
    I had a discussion with Acura Customer Service today about diagnostic messages from December that have re-appeared in my Nav. These disappeared about a month and a half after they first appeared, but after I had my wood steering wheel installed, they re-appeared. Acura stated that I needed the software update to correct the issue, so I'm off next week to get all the updates you've been discussing. I'll let you know the outcome.

Now point two - While on the Acura Owner's Link website I noticed an alert that there is now an updated Nav System DVD for the '05 RL. This update (release level 4.13) includes the following -
    * Nationwide Rural City Coverage
    * 4 Million New points of Interest
    * New Improved Shopping Category

That sounds great, except for the fact that it will cost me $185.00 plus $6.00 shipping to get the updated DVD.

My car was manufactured in October and delivered in December. My current disk shows a release level of 4.12 (you need to check the label on the disk, not the NAV display). I think that Acura should offer this update gratis, given that I've only had the car since December.

Has anyone else acquired this update? Is it worth the cost or should I wait till the end of the year?
  • Options
    "That sounds great, except for the fact that it will cost me $185.00 plus $6.00 shipping to get the updated DVD."

Why couldn't the dealer use that DVD to update everyone coming in for service for a nominal fee?
  • Options
    I had the wood-trimmed wheel installed today.
    What a cool touch! It's very sleek and enhances the interior immeasurably.

A few months ago, someone posted that the dealer kept the old wheel after installing the wood-trimmed; my dealer wrapped mine up and placed it in the trunk. I'm gonna hang it on the wall in my den!! -;)

I passed on the wood gearshift knob. With labor, it came to $200 and change. Mebbe next time.
  • Options
    josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    Was the 200 for shift knob or wheel??
  • Options
    Josheel:

The wheel, after the 15% discount, was $605, including labor. Really handsome!
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Why couldn't the dealer use that DVD to update everyone coming in for service for a nominal fee?

Because you have to have the disk in the unit in order to use the navigation feature. Navigation units don't have anywhere near the realm of enough onboard memory to store the contents of a nav disk.