Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RL

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,687
    Thanks Bigrob.. that explains it..

A fan to draw cabin air through the seat...

I like it.. I wouldn't want to pay extra for it, but it seems as useful as heated seats..

regards,
    kyfdx
    (who would never "rip one" on a passenger)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    "It's more that the heat from your body is pulled away from you. . .One bad thing about having the vent there is if you "rip one," it's going to blow right in the face of the person sitting behind you!"

Now in a truly luxurious vehicle, you can aim those at different passengers!

Just want to say I laughed hardily upon reading that post. Thanks, taylOrd!!!
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    I too appreciate knowing how the ventillated seat in the Mercedes works. Thanks Big Rob.

Hmmm now I'm wondering if the RL with all it's refinement has some kind of built-in deodorizer?
    :-)...We still haven't heard from a Canadian owner.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    When I started this discussion I did not realize how many folks are actually interested in the Process...

I sat in the new GS300 and the "ventilation" was on and it felt like cool air was being blown toward your body from within/under the seats. Felt like it would really be nice on a hot day.

The Lexus salesman said that on Lexus it is just fans blowing/circulating air (the internal air) not the AC.

Come on Canadians...we need your input since the RLs you get come standard with the ventilated seats.

The question:

How are the seats ventilated/cooled? Does this appear to be something that the US Acura Dealers could add/modify to the US versions of the RLs?

Also, where is the switch located to activate the ventilation.
    Thanks kfhmail...we are going to nail this thing once and for all!

I'm wondering if there are any Canadian RL owners that come to this forum anymore?

"OH CANADA!"
  • telvarintelvarin Member Posts: 1
    I'm not an owner yet, but I am seriously looking at the RL in Canada. I was recently reading a CanadianDriver review that had this to say about the ventilated seats...

"For Canada only, headlight washers and heated, ventilated, perforated leather front seats warm and cool their occupants using three fans built into the seat structure."

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05rl.htm
    Thanks telvarin...that was an excellant story, very well written, and even though it was 5 months old, it provides additional insights for anyone interested in the RL. (Really liked his use of terms like..."The 2005 RL, a $69,500 bundle of silicon chips, leather and horsepower should interest luxury buyers looking for a state-of-the-art alternative to German mainstays BMW, Audi, and Mercedes Benz." By the way, are dealers in Canada still holding firm on the $69,500 asking price?

kfhmail...on the ventilated seat dynamics, your observations were closer than mine. (Even if the USA cars had it, 98% of the time there is nobody riding in my back seat! :-)
  • 3leggeddog3leggeddog Member Posts: 5
    Hmmm...I wonder why it was not made an option (or better yet, standard) in the US?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    jj, I apologize for not being around when needed. Today was one of those rare days when I couldn't sneak onto Townhall. I was in meetings all day, and then had a dinner engagement with the in-laws.

Anyway, telvarin has beat me to the punch. I was going to refer to the canadiandriver article.

Acura's own "Expression" magazine made a similar reference to "ventilated seats with both heating and cooling" which seems to imply that the cooling is in addition to the ventilation.

As to whether the cold air from the HVAC is pumped thru the seats, my guess is no, because wouldn't such direct contact between cold air and a "hot" object (in this case your rear end) result in condensation? Not really what you want in that region!
    I should add that I will likely be going to the auto show this weekend, so I will try to get a definitive answer on the inner workings of the ventilated seats!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,687
    The "cooling" effect comes from the ventilation.. I doubt there is any cooling capacity in the seats themselves..

It sounds great, though.. and now I want it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It was a decision made by Acura to give the Canadian RL an option we don't have because in Canada they are apparently unable to get the XM Satellite radio. It's a government controlled issue. Bodble talked about it at length in previous posts long ago.

If you had a choice between the XM and the ventilated seats which one would you take?
    jjacura:
    I personally would choose the ventilated seats over the XM if I had to pick just one or the other.

Telvarin:
    Thanks for the info.

Hopefully Acura will add the ventilated seats as standard next year. On the Lexus GS 300 the ventilated seats are listed as a $200 option.

boble2:
    let us know what you see at the show...such as, where is the switch to activate the ventilation, etc.

But now...I want the headlight washers also...I had them on my 1984 Toyota Supra. (not a must have, but would be nice)
    "But now...I want the headlight washers also...I had them on my 1984 Toyota Supra. (not a must have, but would be nice)"

kfhmail...Did you know the RL drives at Warp Speeds so headlight washers are ineffective! ...:-)
    "It was a decision made by Acura to give the Canadian RL an option we don't have because in Canada they are apparently unable to get the XM Satellite radio."

This is silly. You mean RL decided that since Canada has restrictions on satellite radio, they decided to only allow Canadians the option to have ventilated seats? I have to think there's something else involved, like cooled seats in the US would bump the price over a certain luxury tax or add weight which would affect emissions somehow (is it obvious I don't know about the inner-workings of cars?). No way they would just do a [non-permissible content removed] for tat, especially since the vast majority of US buyers don't know Canada has a different option, and the vast majority of Canadian buyers probably don't know that all US versions come with satellite. Especially considering that there are probably many more US customers who would opt for the cooled seats since we have warmer climates.
    Sounds silly doesn't it. It is!
    Your mission young walters...research this and report back to the US owners on why the American made RL's did not include ventilated seats but the Canadians RL's did.
    :confuse:
    I sensed the force, JJ and took on your quest, and now reach out to anyone with an online subscription to the wall street journal! Some posts that I've seen on other sites mention the journal reporting thet the reason Canadian cars have cooled seats is that the Canadian government required them to have somethings US cars don't. I think it mentioned Canadian versions have headlight washers, too?

Anyway, I'm not about to subscribe to the Wall Street Journal to find this out, but if anyone already has a subscription, I suggest searching the site using the following terms: "acura rl" cooled seats canada

From what I saw on other sites (as in "unreliable sources"), the issue might be that Canadian RLs are built in Japan, and Japanese cars built in Japan generally have more features than Japanese cars built in the US.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just a note - if someone wants to post a short summary of a WSJ article, that would be fine. But be aware that reposting the article itself would be a copyright violation.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a wet blanket here, it's just that I've seen a number of folks sincerely trying to be helpful by reposting articles from websites that require paid subscriptions. No can do.

'Scuse the interruption. Carry on! :)
    Oh, OH. Now we even have the Host using them!! :P
    When you type a smile, they just happen!! :shades:

(I never knew the key strokes for shades, though!! And note that they are Emotorcons - I do like the name!)
    OK...emotorcons... Incidently are you all familiar with the :lemon: laws?
  • fmcgirtfmcgirt Member Posts: 4
    I believe that ALL 2005 RLs are built in Japan - not just Canadian ones. If your VIN starts with a J, its was built in Japan.

Sorry to say ventilated/heated/cooled seats are probably at the very end of my wish list for my RL - I could care less. I would very much more appreciate a working HandsFreeLink and an easy way to download/sync my cell phone or PDA address book to the car's address book with a tie in to the nav system's destination display to allow easy selection of destinations - perhaps a USB port with supporting SW??? Also a more visible (to all) temp display and an oil pressure gauge and voltmeter added to the instrument cluster. Also brighter high beams to better match the brightness of the low beams and a better configuration on the low beams. There are a lot of dark areas on low beams when one is driving in hilly areas so it is very easy to "outdrive" your lights. However side coverage is great!

These are really just "quibbles" for me as I am very satisfied so far with the vehicle.

Frank
    Lemon laws? Is this a real question or just a chance to use one of the new toys? :-)

They vary by state and we have had lots of postings over the years about them. A search will find them and if I can help narrow anything down, let me know.

OTOH, if talking :lemon: s has something to do with this particular day of the year, don't even try it!!! :P
    Gotcha Pat! :)

APRIL FOOLS DAY!
    FRANK I agree with you on the low beams. Don't need the ventillated seats either but love the heated ones. Looking forward to getting the bluetooth phone soon. welcome aboard! JJ
    You WISH you got me!!

:shades:
    " From what I saw on other sites (as in "unreliable sources"), the issue might be that Canadian RLs are built in Japan, and Japanese cars built in Japan generally have more features than Japanese cars built in the US."

Frank is right lj , all 2005 RL's are built in Japan.
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    I received (and installed) the Navigation System Update CD. It does not contain any updated map coverage - just updates and corrects minor navigation software issues that were discovered after the RL's release.

Nice that Acura is being proactive and not waiting for the complaints to roll in. They indicate that the errors that are being addressed my never have been encountered, but they wanted to head them off at the pass.

The installation just took a few minutes. A flashlight is needed to illuminate the unit, which is stuck away in the upper left portion of the trunk.
    From what I was told at the auto show, the ventilated seats do involve cold air routed from the HVAC via 6 fans built into the front seats. On the console on either side of the shifter are individual controls for the heating/cooling of the 2 front seats. I think there are 5 (or 7) levels with the middle being the "off" setting. So driver and front passenger can set his/her level of heating or cooling for each seat.
    Acuraphile, Received my disc in the mail today. Non- owners should realize how pro-active Acura is with problematical mechanicals of their cars. It's a great feeling they are taking good care of us on these things before they happen! Thanks for your info George. Heading for Phoenix in the morning so hold down the fort! Will probably not sit down at a computer until the 16th. I welcome the warm dry air, wearing shorts and T-Shirts, but will no doubt miss the RL. (Incidently, check out Starbucks George, they currently have a Miles Davis CD for sale that is a collection of some great hits he recorded between '54 and '59) Take Care. JJ
    Thanks Buddie......Great information........Now where is kfhmail..... :P
  • acuraphileacuraphile Member Posts: 131
    JJ:

Frolic frequently, freely and fervently in Foenix! ;-)

G.
  • aclcaclc Member Posts: 20
    Did you have to pay for the update?
  • steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    The update is free and comes in the mail to all registered owners like a recall notice. I recevied mine on 4-4-05. I am very curious what the problems are that are addressed. Anyone know?
  • rrjohnsrrjohns Member Posts: 5
    Call me crazy, but I'd like to investigate the possibility of adding the ventilated/cooled seats to my 2005 RL. I expect it to be somewhat costly, but in Houston in the summer it would be a blessing. I would assume (hopefully correctly) that doing so would involve some ductwork parts, fans, switches and associated wiring. It doesn't seem as though it would be too difficult particularly since it is on the Canadian cars, thus fit should not be an issue.

I've checked all over for a 2005 RL service manual and/or parts book to show an exploded view of the pieces that would be required and have had no luck. If there's nothing available I could always stop by the dealer and check with them but I have found from experience that their interest level in this would be marginal.

Does anyone know where such info might be obtained? :confuse:
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    The part people will have the book with the parts you need .I checked into it and it seems like it would be about 3K to get it done.
    Me thinks if you wait a year or 2, the ventilated seats will show up on the US RL too.
  • rrjohnsrrjohns Member Posts: 5
    Oh well, I never expected it to be inexpensive. I'll cruise on down to the dealer and see what all is involved. Of course, with my luck, it will be on the 2006 model (along with the pre-crash sensing technology) and I'll be debating about getting a new one and eating the depreciation...although I'm willing to be the depreciation is well in excess of 3K! :cry:

Thanks for the info.
  • ferrelliferrelli Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone else noticed an intermittent failure in the audio favourites? For me, I'll start the engine and my XM/FM favourites are blank/reset. If I stop/restart the car, they come back. This happens maybe once every 50 or so vehicle starts (about once a week, basically). My RL has the SW updates Acura released in February and is otherwise running fine.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    That happened to me once with my wife's TL. It turned out that I had opened the trunk with the other key set, and even though we used her keys to start the engine, the car treated us like we were driving with the 2nd key (which had no preferences on the radio)...
  • ferrelliferrelli Member Posts: 6
    OF COURSE! You're a genius: this does usually happen when I'm driving with the person who has the other key fob and they probably opened the car door or trunk before I started up. I owe you a beer for answering a question that's been driving me nuts for a month! :-)
  • billinsobebillinsobe Member Posts: 47
    How big is the key fob for the 2005 RL? Can someone tell me the measurements? How does it compare to other key fobs?
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Thank you, thank you (bows). I do indeed like beer! :blush:
    Hey bodble thanks for checking out the ventilated seats at the car show.

jjacura...Sorry...I have not been on the internet for a few days.

so...

I am not doubting the person that said it may cost $3000 dollars to add ventilated seats, but...that sounds like a lot. Does that include estimated labor?

I guess I may have to wait and see if the 06 RL has the ventilated seats...I am still trying to decide between the RL and M35.
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    The 3K was with the labor cost etc.etc. It could be less I guess if you did it youself.I
  • rajabhatrajabhat Member Posts: 15
    I've had my Acura 2005 RL AWD for 2000 miles now. It is a superb car overall, there is nothing quite like it, but...the ride is somewhat harsh and choppy, disappointing for a flagship RL car. Maybe when you combine AWD and tight precise handling, that's what happens? The car has a strange rattle in ruts that is disconcerting. On the positive side, the fantastic Bose sound system with fully integrated XM satellite radio, the navigation system, and voice activated controls, are grand. I wonder if after-market shocks will help.

I'll have to test drive a Lexus GS 300 AWD sometime to see how its ride is.

Raja
  • dougrldougrl Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience with a Blackberry phone in the Acura RL? If so, any review woudl be helpful. For example, do voice commands work well to place calls from the address book?
  • 00boxsters00boxsters Member Posts: 202
    What are the current tire pressure values on your RL?
  • soapkngsoapkng Member Posts: 21
    I put on aftermarket rims/tires and the tire pressure monitors wouldn't fit (due to the valve hole, angle, etc.), but now, everytime I drive, the warning of 'Check TPMS' comes on, and of course, the 'i' light stays on, etc. No response yet from the dealer....does anyone know how to turn this 'system' off?

Thanks!

DF :confuse:
    I can see this forum seems to be slowing way down and suspect, that is a good sign. (There are a lot of satisfied RL owners out there!)