Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Silhouette

Comments

• wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    Sooooo... Gotta know... What did you pay for it? How good is the warranty compared to the GM warranty (were you offered a GM warranty?). Does the warranty cover the video system? (I keep arguing about the merits of a video system in the car, however, after 16 hours in the car this past weekend with a five year old and twin three year olds, I really like the idea now ;-) ) I am concerned about the durability of such a sensitive electronic equipment in our extreme (-20 to >100 degree temperatures) Minnesota weather.

Congrats Again!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • pdr2pdr2 Member Posts: 6
    I know you didn't ask me, but I will give you my thoughts on this topic. You can go to Radio Shack and spend $250 on a portable, battery/AC/DC television that you can take anywhere (park, lake, even in the house) connect the Nintendo/Playstation to it and your set, instead of $2000 for the non-portable, only in the car flat panel video system. Whenever a car is sold, the big bucks are made by selling aftermarket bells and whistles (like extended warranty, scotch guard, paint sealant, etc). I was offered a GM extended warranty, $1200 or more for 5 year/60,000 total warranty. You can get 7yr/72,000 total warranty from Warranty Gold for under $900. Warranty Gold is what I use on my Astro. They have several options, and payment plans. Edmunds' recommends them, that is why I looked them up and price compared/benefits shopped and found them to be the best, also. I hope I am not intruding too badly into your conversation. Have a nice day! Oh, one last interruption, my Silo. cost me under $22,000 (brand new 2000, no it was not a Premiere, I bought the TV on sale for $150)
  • chinadadchinadad Member Posts: 1
    We are considering one of the GM mini trio and leaning towards the Silo. So far, in visiting 2 dealerships we have yet to find a salesman who understands the operation of the power sliding door on the passenger side. For those of you who have used this feature:

1) Can the power door be opened and closed with the keyless remote entry system, or must you first unlock and open the driver door and then press the overhead panel switch?

2) Does the power door lock automatically when the van is in operation? In other words, are the rear passengers (i.e., kids) prevented from opening the door by accident?

Thanks for the tip on the aftermarket TV/VCR.
  • blackcurrantblackcurrant Member Posts: 152
    Yes, unlock the driver's side with first push, then ALL the doors with second push, then open power door with it's button, ALL from the remote.

The locks are programmable and will lock automatically once the van is placed in drive.

We love the power door in ours!
  • amom2amom2 Member Posts: 1
    You will need to hit the "Unlock" button on the keyless remote twice to unlock all of the doors, then hit the automatic door button on the keyless remote. If you push "Unlock" once, only the driver's front door unlocks as a safety feature. The automatic door is locked once you changed gears from Park so that a child could not open the locked door from the inside. There is also a disable button for the door on the overhead panel.

We bought our 2000 Silo Premier in February and have put 4,000 miles on it. It is wonderful. We have had no problems, great gas mileage, and love every gadget. I had not intended to get leather seats, but really enjoy them (easy clean-up) especially with the heated seats on those February/March cold days! If I could just figure out how to share this warmth with the kids' car seats.

The entertainment system helped the miles fly by for our pre-schooler and toddler during 1200 mile trip last month. I also put in a video after Sunday Church to keep them awake to each lunch and then nap at Home! :)
  • marleahmarleah Member Posts: 7
    First, be certain to ask your dealer about the Blockbuster $50 credit for test driving a Silo! You can print out the form at http://www.silhouettevan.com/default.asp?section=silbb

$21,965. I felt pretty good about it overall, especially as the K's Blue Book value was well over $25,000. We weren't planning on getting the Premier but it was the best used van of any kind we found so we took it. We had a hard time justifying buying anything new other than Ody or Sienna as the value dropped so much the 1st year.

It is the "Pinnacle Protection Plan" from National Auto Care extended warranty package, $700. It covers everything almost exactly the same as the GM warranty...except the video system. It includes roadside assistance program, towing, etc. so we can drop AAA. I too am concerned about the long-term reliability of the video, etc espec since Cons Rpts lists electronics problems for every model year.

We were going to get a new Ody and do the add-ons like CD and roofrack, and eventually video. If you do that, just make certain the video equipment is SECURELY mounted inside the vehicle, not just "kinda wedged" in. It could do a lot of damage to the interior of the van (not to mention your kids) if you have an accident. I also just saw results of a study that shows that carsickness ratios for video equip mounted on ceiling are lower than on the floor. ;-) This stuff is actually not a new idea. My sister had a conversion van with aftrmkt video system back in the 80's!

Power door will be invaluable when the baby comes next month. My 3 yr old can climb in unassisted on that side while I do the babycarrier on mine. Just a note, out of all the vans, the only door he could open by himself was the Ody's. They moved so easily! And the rear door wasn't heavy. The Silo's is getting even harder for me to shut as my center of gravity is shifting. And the Silo's seat belt cuts across my neck uncomforably if I am leaning forward at all.

BTW, about the previous concern of mine about the 5 mph crash test results? Well, guess what happened 4 days after we got the van! It was a fender bender in a parking lot, and their insurance will cover it, but yes indeed it is TWO days in the shop and $1,200 repairs! Thank god the corner panel didn't get damaged as well. LOL! What foreshadowing! If it was a movie you wouldn't believe it, would you?
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    That was a sick foreshadow... May it come back from the body shape better than new!

Wondering if you had taken it for a longer trip yet. My neighbor said he got 28MPG going to Chicago (from Minneapolis) over the Memorial Day holiday (26MPG on the way back).

Please let us know... EnjoY!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • cook301cook301 Member Posts: 9
    When I read there are no problems with Olds transmission I find this hard to believe ! ( Look back and see my earlier post) I have had three transmision installed. The Dealer that I bought this from was and is NO help what so ever. They would not supply me with a vehicle to drive while mine was being repaired. The Service Manager read the OWNERS MANUAL to me and pointed out it says ' may ' offer a vehicle not 'shall'. After a week in the shop I had to contact the 800 number and ask them to assist me. This got the Dealer ( Roby's G.M. in Marysville, Ohio )to supply me a loaner. I was not treated well at anytime from this Dealer's service department. Theu had the Van for over 15 days. After 3,000 miles it did not feel like it was shifting right and it was emmiting a high pitched whine. I returned and ask them to check this out. They did and claimed no problem. Well transmission #2 went out. It would hardly move the vehicle. I had it towed to another Dealer in Columbus. There evaluation was it needs a transmission. When I told them of the previos repair they still had no problem and wanted to take care of my problem. They offered a vehicle to drive while they did the work. They also had a total positive attitude.
    Nevertheless I have had three transmissions and now this # 3 has a problem. It is as if it is slipping when I take off from a stop and turn either left or right. I am in the procses of LEMON LAW evaluation at this time.
    And I am the only person with transmission problem ? Look in the shop next time you are at a dealer. I've had my share and will not go back to GM for furture vehicles. Difinately not ROBBY'S.
  • kklotzkklotz Member Posts: 19
    I just ordered a 2001 Premiere. There are a couple of new options that may interest you when shopping. The first is a power assist on the Driver's-side door. The second is a third row of Captain's chairs that replace the current split bench. The standard arrangement in the third row, for which I opted, is a new arrangement that has some kind of "activity table" with the seats. The dealer doesn't yet have any information on that seat, but the Captain's chairs in the back take the seating capabilities down to 6 people. Another new option is Chrome Wheels. Pricing hasn't been finalized, but my dealer is selling the van at $400 over invoice--and I'm OK what that. I currently have a '97 GLS that has 70,000 miles on it. I've had my share of annoying problems with it (I chalked it up to 1st year production problems), but after driving other vehicles, I decided the Silhouette is a good ride for the money. I did buy a TV for my GLS that works with AC/DC/Battery and it's great for long trips with the kids. It just takes up a lot of room during those trips and I'm hoping the built-in version will help with resale.

If your interested, your dealer can place the order starting tomorrow. Delivery is scheduled for August.
  • tauberjtauberj Member Posts: 61
    Well, I've experienced one of the leaks I've read about. I've had my 2000 Premier for six months and today, my wife got a flat. Check the jack compartment to make sure the tow truck guy placed everything back and found water in the well (about 1 quart of it). I suspect a faulty seam-seal in the wheel well as there was a lot of road silt in the wheel well also. Anyone else have water in there jack compartment? I've done the wet-carpet test based on the other posts i've read and have never had wet carpet. Other than that, absolutely love the vehicle.
  • gregoryngregoryn Member Posts: 2
    Is it just my 2000 Silo GLS, but are the various pieces of non-metal around the wheelwells always so loose? I am used to pieces being firmly in place, and am surprised at how they move so much. Do the screws need tightening? It came like this, so I haven't considered checking with dealer (who, after 3000 miles, I still haven't yet found anything requiring a dealer visit. Which to me is great!

Other than that, I've been very pleased with the van. My folks have a '99 and also have been very pleased.
  • bigfigbigfig Member Posts: 35
    Have noticed that the trim over the passenger sliding door is a BAD design, as it continues to come down. It is secured with two-sided sponge tape and with the humitidy here in New Orleans it comes down. Oldsmobile dealership today added another piece which they think will work, but I have my doubts. If it does not work, I am going to try securing a piece of velcro to the trim and metal and hopefully this will solve the problem. Noticed on another Silo that the rubber molding around door was wider than mine and this prevented that trim from coming down. Has anyone had this problem. Have my Silo since March 27th with only 1957 miles and have had only minor problems. We really enjoy the ride and comfort of the vehicle.
    Since my last post I've had nothing but frustration with our dealer. I can't tell you anything much about the Silo trip-wise because it took so long to get into the dealership for repairs then they had it A WEEK because they screwed up ordering parts despite me calling and checking that everything was set TWICE.

We bought the non-GM warranty after being told it covered everything bumper-to-bumper, same as GM warranty. Well, didn't realize it until later that video system, speakers, etc wasn't covered. Dealer manager basically said it was our own fault for believing the salesguy! (BTW, this is the boiled down version, add many MANY phone calls/lots of frustration/being told contradictory stories, etc.) And if we got GM warranty we HAVE to go back to dealer it was bought from (which would be a real problem as I don't ever want to go there again).

Of course our problems aren't with the Silo itself and I really feel for Cook301; am extremely concerned now though because if this is the ^&@* we have to go through with minor details, what is it going to be like if there's a serious problem? Warranty/van was supposed to give us peace of mind, not make more troubles...

Cook301, I'm in Cols area and am assuming you went to Dublin/Immke Olds? I wish we had...don't ever try Key Olds -- I wouldn't trust them to find their way out of a paper bag. Manager says they weren't being dishonest, just "human". (Gosh, since when is being an idiot better than being crooked?) Unfortunately I must have had the bad luck of speaking to every "human" in the dealership over the past 3 weeks, and there are A LOT of them! I'll be crossing my fingers that nothing really goes wrong with the Silo...almost afraid to drive it now!
    Have you ever bought a vehicle that is out of gas and dirty (if used) or is it your experience that they fill it up and clean it up before you get the keys? This had never happened to us before and I'm wondering if I've been living a sheltered life or is this normal.
  • cook301cook301 Member Posts: 9
    The Dealer I went to is here in Marysville. The Dealer in Columbus that is helpful and treats you as they should is on the west side of Columbus. This is Hadocy G.M.
    My e mail address is lcook@taylor-newcomb.com If you want I can fill you in on the latest happenings on my Olds Van.
    I would recommend when buying a vehicle taking a pen and paper and asking questions and get these things in writing.
  • wdaveowdaveo Member Posts: 7
    Hi. We are looking into purchasing a new minivan with GM option 1 and are considering the Silo and the Warner Brothers Venture. I haven't seen many commennts on the WB venture (anyone have one?) We are quite concerned with reliablity and wonder if the Olds vehicles are truly better made, or do they just have more features? Consumer reports and others always lump the Olds, Pontiacs, and Chevy's together so I can't really tell if there is any distinction. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Dawn, I would find it hard to believe that there are any quality differences at all. The vehicles are made on the same assemble line. Except for different body and interior components (i.e., seat, wheels, bumpers, side molding and badges), they are identical. For the most part, I am very please with my Silo Premier. I chose this over the Chevy because I felt it looked nicer (trim and wheels) and I wanted every option under the sun except the gold package and engine block heater.
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    Since both are built at the same plant in Atlanta, it would seem that the build quality as well as most of the parts are identical. I bought the Silo (two actually, one is a company car) because I liked its styling better. That big clump of chrome on the front of the
    Venture looks out of place on a van with no other chrome anywhere. Also, the Venture has that big black piece of cheap plastic trim all the way around it. On some colors, especially white, it really shows up. But this is only my opinion.
    I haven't had any real problems in 60K miles on my 99 Silo (6K miles in June alone!). Only real complaint was that the original tires were terrible. Even with regular rotations and three alignments, I only got 35K miles on them, several having cupped out badly.
  • prismprism Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2000 Olds Silo last September and have over 18000 miles on it. We've taken a few road trips and it drives like a dream, and I haul alot of car pools and the kids love it! Getting good gas mileage - sometimes over 26 MPG on long trips and pretty good in town, too.

We have had a few Interior problems - the power door failed - (I just knew this would be the first thing to go!) and they had to replace the actuators. I had to replace the upholstery on the passenger side front seat - kept coming undone. Now the middle passenger seat upholstery has come undone. Another issue is the the rubber strip on the power door keeps coming loose and the door won't work at all then. Yes, I have been in carpool line and been totally unable to close the door! Had to call the dealer to walk me through a quick fix.

Lastly, just had my 15K check up and they rotated my tires. Now I have a thumping sound from the front wheels that the tech thinks might be a bearing problem.

Yes, we drive this car ALOT - over 1800 miles a month and I have to confess, I live in my car, but has anyone else had any of these issues?

We got rid of a Grand Voyager because it was a total lemon. I did my research on mini-vans and the Olds Silo seemed like the best fit for us. Hope this is just the new car shake-down period.

Would love some feedback.
    My wife's 97 silo had a few of the weatherstripping problems you mentioned. The top seal over the power door would come loose occasionally. I put some double sided foam tape on it and haven't even thought about it since, so it must be ok now. The power door occasionally get a little uppity on both of our Silos and will pop back open instead of completely closing. Also the warning buzzer that is supposed to come on if the transmission is out of park and the door is open will start buzzing for no apparent reason. Reopening and closing the door usually stops this.
    Upholstery has not been a problem, except for kids and their juice boxes! Red food coloring should be outlawed.
    Maybe it's just me, but the rear tires seem to wear unevenly, and start cupping out. It doesn't cause much problems until you rotate them to the front, which is when you start to notice bumps and thumps. It took three alignments in the first 15k miles to get this fixed. By that time, the tires were pretty well shot.

Just an idea.
  • jboaterjboater Member Posts: 199
    I agree with #73. You may want to rotate tires every 8k miles or so. I doubt this is a wheel bearing problem.
    Thanks for your sensible ideas. Your experiences reflect those of MOST other owners and folks need to see them.

We have a 99 silo and it's been terrific. No unscheduled visits to the dealer. I've found that when the door acts up it's time to clean the contact plate and door contacts. It's just that easy.
  • ashdashd Member Posts: 1
    I took my 99 GLS back a half dozen times before we identified the water leak. The two rubber boots connecting wiring in the lift gate at the top of the back of the van are the culprits. Once they were sealed, we had no more wet carpet and no more water gathering in the inside of the rear of the back wheel wells. I also unplugged the drain holes with a screwdriver in the bottom of the back of the rear wheel wells so that the water could drain out. Carpet and pad had to be removed at the dealer to dry out also. We were on vacation last fall riding around with soaking wet rear carpet when it started to snow. The computer over the rear view mirror said "ice". My seven year old looked at that and said, "Do you suppose it knows that it has a wet diaper, too" My three year old thought that was pretty hilarious. Good luck with the leaks. Once we fixed that and had the dealer clean the power door contacts (read "scratched the contacts to improve the connection)we have loved our van.
  • sixironsixiron Member Posts: 1
    Saw used Silo 97 gls with 56k...very nice has all options ...little afraid of miles , is this good deal at $15,000..pls advise
    IMHO, $15K is sort of on the higher side of retail. It should have new tires, since I doubt those Generals would last that long. Also check the brakes. I just did a $400 brake job at 56K miles (needed rotors!). If it had 35-40K miles, ok. With 56K miles, maybe $14K or slightly less.
    Since I trashed General tires on my last post, I have to be fair. The Firestone's on my 99 Silo company car weren't much better. Score: Generals on wife's 97 Silo: lasted 26K miles (bumping, thumping, and prone to hydroplaning). Generals on my 99 Silo: 36K miles (severely cupped out, pulled hard to right). Funny, no amount of rotation/balancing/alignment would solve the pulling to the right problem, but once I put a new set of Michelins on it, it rode like a dream, with no pulling tendencies whatsoever.
  • fastfoodmanfastfoodman Member Posts: 9
    I own a Oldsmobile Silouhette minivan and it is by far the worst minivan I have ever owned. Constant trouble
    from day one. The breaks, engine, transmission
    everything had trouble and it was in the shop 4
    months out of 12. The van road bad, low on
    features, bad handling, I wodner why I ever bought
    this junkpile. My advice is DO NOT BUY A Silouhette!!!! Get a Sienna instead!
  • dwgdwg Member Posts: 43
    Don't pay attention to this joker. He's been over in the Sedans Conference ragging on all of the GM W-bodies (Grand Prix, Intrigue, Regal, etc.) spreading the same venom. Either a disgruntled ex-GM employee or a Toyota salesmen. He can't be doing too well in the fast food business, because he's got way too much time on his hands.

dwg
  • lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    Judging by his immaturity level and general illiteracy, I would say he is about 14 years old, getting his kicks.

I can guarantee he never owned one of these vehicles, or any of the others he claims, and probably doesn't even know what one looks like.
  • coz1coz1 Member Posts: 9
    I found a 2000 Silo Premiere for $26,700. Should I jump or wait for the 01's to come out? Also, a GM extended warranty for $1965. (their highest coverage, $0 deductible) Good/Bad or other?

P.S. It has every thing including the Gold Package!
    Michael, $26,700 sounds like a pretty good deal for a new van. 200 miles is nothing to worry about. If you buy, get them to change the oil as part of the deal. As far as extended warranty goes, I personally don't believe in them. Take that money and buy a good mutual fund. That way, if you need a repair out-of-warranty, you should have plenty of money to pay for it. But if you do decide to go for the warranty, make sure it's GM's, not an aftermarket one. I've heard too many horror stories about after market warranty claims disputes. GM will offer this to you by mail after you purchase the vehicle. As for the 2001 model, updated interior, wireless headphones, subtle body cladding changes, larger video screen, etc. You won't find the deal you describe on a 2001 model. P.S.
    Jeremy, thank you for your input and suggestion. I think the Olds will do us just fine.
    Has anyone noticed the exterior mirrors, on the GM van line, fade on the top? What, if any thing, can be done to prevent it, reverse it or stop it? I still want to buy the Olds we found, but the mirrors make it look old or run down. If anyone has suggestions about this matter, please let me know before I buy!
    Really, if they do, it isn't a big deal. The detailers that recondition cars for dealers can airbrush them and they'll look good as new.

amd 26,7 for a premiere seems like a good price on the surface. What's the invoice?
    Edmunds has the invoice price at 28,729, the MSRP at 31,745 and the TMV at 29,298. Should I be expecting to get a better deal? If so, how do I get the dealer to show me their invoice? Suggestions are very welcome!!

Back to the mirrors. Thanks for the idea of airbrushing, I had not thought of that. Any more ideas out there?
    I don't have anything new to add to the discussion, except that I agree with the other replies to your questions. $26,700 seems to be a real good deal, IF you plan on keeping it. A 2000 model will be a year old next month, so keep that in mind.
    As far as the extended warranty, I don't think much of them. The dealer makes a huge amount of money on these. The manufacturer is taking your money, betting that the van won't break. You're betting it will. They made it, so they should know. I'd steer clear of this. Like Post #84. I would take the $2k and put it in a mutual fund ore even a CD and use that for major repairs, if you ever need it. Another thing, if you sell the van before the 3 yr/36K warranty is up, you've really wasted the money. The only consolation there is it may help resale value somewhat.

Mikey
  • artic1artic1 Member Posts: 4
    Just thought I'd do a follow-up on my 00 Silo purchased Feb 00. I have 7900 miles on it.

The van has been in shop only once. The right rear wheel cylinder was leaking. Had to wait a week for the part. The Service Manager said it was still drivable that it was only "seepage". I just parked it for a week.

The other problems I've had is the power sliding door likes to rattle on rough roads. On my last oil change I noticed oil residue coming down the passenger side of the engine onto the oil pan. I'm just watching it at this time. And of course every time I was the van I have water leaking into the right rear pillar. It only occurs when I wash it.

Over-all I'm pleased.
  • dag23dag23 Member Posts: 2
    Howdy All!

Getting to end of the General OEM's here at 40K. Any suggestions? The General XP2000 GT were okay, but not sure what next - will be keeping the van for awhile.

Brian
    Great pricing on the Premiere. I ordered a 2001 because the 2000 was too similar to my '97 that I wanted to wait for something different. As far as the mirrors go, my '97's mirrors have seriously faded. You can have the dealer install new mirrors under warranty. We did that with our '95 Cutlass when the trunk pieces were flaking paint. Our dealer was happy to make the change--I'm sure they get some significant kick-back on the warranty work! We have 72,000 miles on our '97 Silhouette so that's what was begging the change for us.

Kevin
  • techpersontechperson Member Posts: 1
    In response to #83 what part of the country did you find the 2000 Silo Premiere for $26,700? The lowest offer we have had is $27,800.
    Kevin, I really appreciate the information on the mirrors. I didn't know if all vans had that problem, if so, if they were covered by the warrenty. That makes me feel a lot better!! Thanks again.

Reatha, that price came from a dealer in Metairie, La. We got a price on 3 vans that dealer had and all of them were under your price of $27,800. If you are near that location, I will give you the dealer name, info on the other vans and the prices they give us. We did purchase the van and the only option it didn't have was the engine block heater. Now, we paid less than $26700 for the van. I think we got a pretty good deal!?
  • cin_frappcin_frapp Member Posts: 3
    I had posted this in another thread, but it was suggested to post it here!

We just bought out new loaded Olds Silouhette GLS 2 months ago and were thrilled. Our first expensive family car with everything we wanted. We researched this van via the net to make sure we were informed on everything about it before we began test driving. Needless to say, we traded in
    our reliable 2 door car for our first "family" car. Within 2 weeks, we noticed oil puddles in our garage and drive way (which is a new 4 month old house). Assumed it was coming from our 5 year old Cavalier (which has ran like a top!), but no, soon came to realize it was our new $29000 van. Took it to the dealership, said they fixed it (loose bolt in oil pan), no such luck - steal leaked! Took it in again, said they fixed it (bent gasket), no such luck once more - steal leaks. Not even 5000 miles on it.
    We've scheduled another appointment this Monday, we're hoping for the best. Has anybody else experienced this problem?
    In my previous post, I kept typing "steal leaks", meatn to say "still leaks". I even proofed it!!
  • bigfigbigfig Member Posts: 35
    I live also in Metairie and the only dealer we have in Metairie is Royal Oldsmobile and the salesman wanted to sell me their promotion cars which were used during the Sugar Bowl Game in January. He did not offer me any great price since these cars had about 1000 miles on them and we felt that his price did not justify what they wanted for the car. We eventually ordered our 2000 Silo GLS from another dealer who was willing to order what we wanted as far as color and options. Our price was $155 over invoice. We have the towing package and also the CD/cassette.We ordered the Mocha with the beige/sable interior. We just returned from a 4000 mile trip and the Olds was great for ride,comfort, and mileage. Very please with our selection.
    Cindy, don't feel bad about the typos. I knew about mine and thought I had corrected them, but obviously they weren't corrected. I also checked the other posting and someone responded to it.

John, we purchased our van from Royal, we paid $26154 and my wife received a dozen roses before we left. Right now we have 1310 miles on the silo, there were 158 miles on it when we picked it up and drove about 400 miles home. We haven't found or had any problems yet. I don't know which salesman helped you, but Daniel Morse was our salesman.

There are 2 premieres still there, as of last Friday. I have the stock numbers and prices, if anyone is interested.
    Took our van in today and just received work that it is yet ANOTHER leak. This time it's an o-ring, last time it was a gasket, previously, a loose screw. Very upset right not and have gotten the number to our GM rep. We will not have our van for 3 days. I'm now driving a stinky rental car while me new expensive mini-van sits in the shop. This is going to be a total of 5 days we haven't had it. They (the dealer) offers no explanations, or anything to our concerns. I've just left a second message with the GM district rep. Oil leaks are major, we a quiet concerned as you could guess. I tell you, it is just so upsetting to by your dream family car and to start off with this many problems and it doesn't even have 5000 miles on it yet! Just needed to vent! Hopefully the GM rep for our district will be contacting us. In the mean time, we're documenting everything and I'm getting a hold of my lawyer to find out what exactly the lemon laws are and what we have to do to protect ourselves.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    The Chevy Astro / GMC Safari are an older design with upgrades every year. New for 2002 is an improved fuel injection on the torquey 4.3L.

These have 170 cubic feet vs 140 cubic feet of the Silhouette. There is more room for hips and shoulder eaier access to the third row seats. The third row of seats is accessible while all three middle row passengers are seated.

It can tow 6400 lbs. and still gets 18/20 MPG when lightly loaded.
  • jolie2jolie2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Silo premiere that I purchased in Dec. of 99. I have been having constant problems with the passenger automatic door. The door will close and then again "poof" out so when I put the van in gear my warning (beeping)sounds while in gear. I push the control at the top for it to lock from the inside. I have had it to the dealer four times they have put new weather stripping on the bottom, taken it apart, called for "tech" help and now the dealer says it has found the problem and will "fix" it. Anyone else with similar problems?? Please let me know this is getting really annoying.
    Just picked up my 2001 Premiere last night! I bought the Arctic White with the Gray Leather. It is very nice to look at, but you need to be a Silo enthusiast to notice the changes. I opted for the chrome wheels so those stand out. The front fascia has been restyled with lots of chrome at the air intake where it was body-colored before. Not what I would have selected, but I had no choice. The interior has "wood" around the center stack and on the doors around the window and lock control. Again, not what I would have selected, but had no choice. The Premiere comes with On-star free for a year so it has a small antenna on the roof of the driver's side. The power door on the driver isn't available till mid-year so I didn't get that. Also, the flip & fold rear seat isn't available till mid-year so I ended up with the Captains Chairs. If you do this, be aware that they create a big blind spot but the backs do fold flat to eliminate that problem. Also comes with the reverse sensors so you know if you're backing into something. Overall, it appears the seats have been built better. They sit higher and are more firm. There's also individual temperature controls for both front passengers, heated front seats, a bigger TV screen, and much better cup holders. The front seat has cup holders in the center stack and the second row has cup holders built into the left-side captains chairs. They are hard-molded plastic and not prone to breaking like the old model. We paid $400 over invoice and took the lease special that GM has going for the western US that gives a $500 rebate.

Kevin